HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the first FIVE things you would do as the new GM?

Old
04-01-2012, 08:45 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
You don't think Columbus would trade first over pick all for PRICE???
No. They wouldn't actually.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
It centers around trading Price.

Price gets us Yakupov plus players and draft picks from Columbus .

We use our own draft pick to take Grigorenko at 3

Trade up using our picks to get Subban "if" necessary

Radulov ?use the picks or players in the Jackets deal,along with Montreal roster players and picks etc.
Cut back on the video games, your reality is gone.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Columbus would not trade Yaks for Price.
Well many seem to think there goona TRADE number 1 .
I personally think a deal for Price Yak can be done .

https://twitter.com/#!/MAGodin/statu...98840016973824

Quote:
NHL execs from three different teams told me #CBJ are expected to trade their 1st round pick (likely 1st overall) at upcoming draft #yakupov
4:50 PM - 10 Mar 12 via web Embed this Tweet

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Cut back on the video games, your reality is gone.
with a REAL GM, anything is possible ....

Old
04-01-2012, 09:11 AM
bsl

Quote:
Roy as coach in MTL , brings Radulov to Montreal, period end of story ..

I THINK Radu is watching ROY.

Either it is this year or his UFA YEAR which is next year.....so it's a short WAIT .

Anyways , easy for us to get a goalie ....not worried
Yeah Radulov bases his career decisions on what his Dad Patrick Roy does. Are you real? You're like... 12, right?

Old
04-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Yeah Radulov bases his career decisions on what his Dad Patrick Roy does. Are you real? You're like... 12, right?
you know hey stayed at Roy's house the whole time he played with the Remparts right?

He is back in the NHL now, with ROY rumored to make his NHL debut,any coincidences ?

I'm just telling you, ROY the coach of any team has his sights set on Radu , and Radu on Roy.

Old
04-01-2012, 09:17 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
you know hey stayed at Roy's house the whole time he played with the Remparts right?

He is back in the NHL now, with ROY rumored to make his NHL debut,any coincidences ?

I'm just telling you, ROY the coach of any team has his sights set on Radu , and Radu on Roy.
You do realize Radulov is a RFA .. it is going to get expensive for any team that wants to get him away from Nashville

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
You do realize Radulov is a RFA .. it is going to get expensive for any team that wants to get him away from Nashville
I full understand he is RFA....

as i said many time now, IF he don't sign a long term deal in off season he is GONE from Nashville.

If he signs a one year deal , he is UFA end of next year.
82 games away .

Pay to get him now, or get him for free in a year.....If Roy is in Montreal , Radu is 82 games or less away .IMHO

Old
04-01-2012, 09:21 AM
bsl

Quote:
No. They wouldn't actually.
Habeneros you ask why Columbus wouldn't trade yaks for Price, (Which they won't do by the way) then you say in other posts that getting a goalie to replace Price is not problem.

If getting a good goalie is not a problem, why wouldn't Columbus draft Yaks and then find a good goalie?

You are all over the map dude.

Old
04-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Habeneros you ask why Columbus wouldn't trade yaks for Price, (Which they won't do by the way) then you say in other posts that getting a goalie to replace Price is not problem.

If getting a good goalie is not a problem, why wouldn't Columbus draft Yaks and then find a good goalie?

You are all over the map dude.
why didn't team x draft player y instead of z ?

Why didnt a team pick Claude Giroux instead of player X???

Why was PK Subban a 2nd rounder? why other teams not pick him?

You get my drift .

You keep saying Columbus won't deal , fine.

I think your wrong.

Old
04-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Corncob

Quote:

You keep saying Columbus won't deal , fine.

I think your wrong.
Personally I don't necessarily think Columbus won't deal. Howson is terrible, for one. I think if they do, they can get a better deal than the one you offer and, from the Montreal end, I don't think any sane GM deals away a top ten goalie with no back up plan. 'It's easy to sign great goalies' is not a back up plan.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Personally I don't necessarily think Columbus won't deal. Howson is terrible, for one. I think if they do, they can get a better deal than the one you offer and, from the Montreal end, I don't think any sane GM deals away a top ten goalie with no back up plan. 'It's easy to sign great goalies' is not a back up plan.
I already told you the back up plan in nets...go back and read.

Old
04-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Lets be honest, for example 2 years from now Montreal signs Lundqvist to a 5 year deal.

We any worse a team?

Old
04-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

One other thing to think about, how does a new GM eefect the Price negotiations?
It is no longer Gainey's thoroughbred /PG who trade every goalie threat we had away....

I just wonder if this changes things...

Old
04-01-2012, 09:44 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I find it interesting that people are saying to waive Gomez and Kabs. They are owed 18.75M over the next 2 years (10M for Gomer 5.5M/4.5M, 8.75 for Kabs 4.25M/4.5M) do you think teams would be interested in either with that much money owed to them? Perhaps they would be of interest the following season on recall waivers at half the price since they both are due 4.5M in the final year of their contracts, but I don't think fans could stand another year of either let alone both.

That said I don't think waivers would work next season, especially for Gomez as I can't see any team being interested in him when he's owned 10M as at least Kabs can put some points on the board.

Whoever the new GM will be, I don't envy them as it's not going to be easy to get rid of these bloated contracts. Sending them to the minors is the only easy way out but I'd hate to get hired and then turn around and tell my new boss that I'm going to throw 18.75M out the window. I'm sure that would go over well, then again I'm sure Molson knows how much of a problem he has as I'm sure he doesn't want to pay 1M a point for Gomez but buying them out hurts for the next 4 years as well.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:47 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Lets be honest, for example 2 years from now Montreal signs Lundqvist to a 5 year deal.

We any worse a team?
Who says he signs here and at that point he'd be pretty old.

I don't get why you trade Price if you don't have a single goalie prospect or option in the organization. Creating one hole to plug another is not what I want the incumbent GM to do.

The problem with gauthier and gainey is they don't have the slightest clue on how to build a team, especially around young players. If you go with Price as your guy, you insulate him with good dmen. What does Gauthier do? He makes the D worse. IMO, the D is the biggest hole on this team. Solidify the D and it's also time to get some goalie prospects in the pipeline.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:47 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I find it interesting that people are saying to waive Gomez and Kabs. They are owed 18.75M over the next 2 years (10M for Gomer 5.5M/4.5M, 8.75 for Kabs 4.25M/4.5M) do you think teams would be interested in either with that much money owed to them? Perhaps they would be of interest the following season on recall waivers at half the price since they both are due 4.5M in the final year of their contracts, but I don't think fans could stand another year of either let alone both.

That said I don't think waivers would work next season, especially for Gomez as I can't see any team being interested in him when he's owned 10M as at least Kabs can put some points on the board.

Whoever the new GM will be, I don't envy them as it's not going to be easy to get rid of these bloated contracts. Sending them to the minors is the only easy way out but I'd hate to get hired and then turn around and tell my new boss that I'm going to throw 18.75M out the window. I'm sure that would go over well, then again I'm sure Molson knows how much of a problem he has as I'm sure he doesn't want to pay 1M a point for Gomez but buying them out hurts for the next 4 years as well.
Waive = they play in Hamilton to free up cap space.

Old
04-01-2012, 09:48 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:

We any worse a team?
It's a possibility that Colombus trades Price for Yak, I wouldn't mind, but we won't get Lundqvist, that's for sure...

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:49 AM
hockeyfan2k11

lets say in bizzaro world you trade Price. Who do you get as goalie to replace him?

Old
04-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Who says he signs here and at that point he'd be pretty old.

I don't get why you trade Price if you don't have a single goalie prospect or option in the organization. Creating one hole to plug another is not what I want the incumbent GM to do.

The problem with gauthier and gainey is they don't have the slightest clue on how to build a team, especially around young players. If you go with Price as your guy, you insulate him with good dmen. What does Gauthier do? He makes the D worse. IMO, the D is the biggest hole on this team. Solidify the D and it's also time to get some goalie prospects in the pipeline.

How is Lundqvist old at 32?
a 5 yr deal takes him to 37

The reason you trade Price is to get better NOW.

The development of a goalie is a long road that a GM can use to BUY TIME .....
The reason Hans got ZERO goalie depth is , because the choose to trade away anything that might be a threat ....It was one and only one .

Again, if there was contract negotiations between Price and Gautier Ganiey which we heard there was, those are now dead.

So the new GM incoming they start from square one, and maybe just maybe there's different ideas , and no loyal feelings to a thoroughbred etc...

Something people need to think about .

Old
04-01-2012, 09:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Waive = they play in Hamilton to free up cap space.
Do you think Molson will be ok with throwing away 18.75M? Seems like a lot of money to waste no?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:00 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
How is Lundqvist old at 32?
a 5 yr deal takes him to 37

The reason you trade Price is to get better NOW.

The development of a goalie is a long road that a GM can use to BUY TIME .....
The reason Hans got ZERO goalie depth is , because the choose to trade away anything that might be a threat ....It was one and only one .

Again, if there was contract negotiations between Price and Gautier Ganiey which we heard there was, those are now dead.

So the new GM incoming they start from square one, and maybe just maybe there's different ideas , and no loyal feelings to a thoroughbred etc...

Something people need to think about .
You trade a 24 year old goalie and then try to sign a 32 year old FA goalie who will probably re-sign with the Rangers? And then expect him to play at the same caliber with this awful defense? LOL.

You may not think Price is anything special but he's very highly regarded around the league. The incumbent GM isn't an idiot. He won't trade Price unless it's one hell of an offer and there's an excellent goalie+ coming back the other way.

What threats did they trade away? Halak? He wasn't a threat. The Habs simply could not go with both of them. You think Schneider or LUongo won't get moved at some point? You think Bernier's going to stick around?

Pre tel, who are the other "threats" that got traded away?

Old
04-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
If you were name the new GM and were reporting to Geoff Molson and Serge Savard, what are the first FIVE things you would do as the new GM between now and training camp in September?

Example: Who would be your coach, who would you draft and who is traded etc.

I would...

1) Hire the best head coach for the job regardless of language, ethnic background or skin colour.

2) Draft Grigorenko or Galchenyuk in June and start a marketing campaign around them.

3) Buy out Gomez and Kaberle, trade Weber and Diaz for a player than can help right away and a draft pick etc.

4) Attempt to sign Semin to play on Plekanec wing, Gaustad or Prust as the 4th line centre and Suter as the 2nd/3rd defenseman with Markov, Gorges and Subban as the top 4.

5) BAN Media and fans from all practices in Montreal!

What would you do?

Only real difference is that I would not BUY OUT Gomez and Kaberle. I would ship them to the minors this way they do not count on the cap at all. Saving 12 million dollars on the cap which gives Montreal the money to sign a top notch D-man and Winder to play with Plekanec.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
It's a possibility that Colombus trades Price for Yak, I wouldn't mind, but we won't get Lundqvist, that's for sure...
for example all UFA eligible in 2 years.There's one in the group we can get .

Lundqvist
Kiprusoff
Brian Elliot
Ryan Miller
Marc-Andre Fleury
Crawford
Halak
Price

Old
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Do you think Molson will be ok with throwing away 18.75M? Seems like a lot of money to waste no?
That's a different story. I think you have to send gomez down, or have him play in Europe or something. Kaberle I think you may be able to trade Kaberle...if not. You keep him in the lineup. He still brings more to the team than Gomez.