HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part III

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2012, 12:35 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I really do not want them to hire anybody that doesn't currently hold a position in another organization. That's why I'm not so interested in Damphousse, McGuire, or any other ''analyst''. Earlier in the year I thought Damphousse was interesting, because he was a breath of fresh air compared to the morons on the shows like AC, but that quickly passed.

Give me someone with experience, that's been part of a winning organization. To me, it's really just between Nill and Bergevin. Those are my two main targets, in that order. Fenton is the plan C, but I have my reservations about him.
Nill is under contract with the Wings and has signed a no movement until 2013-14. And what's the fuss about Bergevin who is just finishing his 1st year as assistant GM with the Hawks ? What has he done that is so wonderful ?

Why choose an assistant GM elsewhere ? Why not a real GM with experience ?

Old
04-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Nill is under contract with the Wings and has signed a no movement until 2013-14. And what's the fuss about Bergevin who is just finishing his 1st year as assistant GM with the Hawks ? What has he done that is so wonderful ?
Being under contract means nothing. If Nill expressed interest in discussing things with us, I'm sure the wings would permit it and we'd see what happens.

As for Bergevin, it's his 7th year in the Hawks organization. He's held a lot of different positions, assistant coach, he's been on the scouting staff, director of pro scouting, director of player personnel, and now assistant GM. He won a cup with the Hawks as the director of player personnel. He's been part of a rebuilding process with the Hawks, something we desperately need here.
He's obviously also has his experience as a player, and he speaks french.

Now, obviously, I won't conduct an interview, so I don't know what his philosophies and ideologies are about how to build a winning team. But he certainly seems like an interesting candidate.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
It's kind of tough to know which GM currently employed is available and would welcome a new challenge.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I really do not want them to hire anybody that doesn't currently hold a position in another organization. That's why I'm not so interested in Damphousse, McGuire, or any other ''analyst''. Earlier in the year I thought Damphousse was interesting, because he was a breath of fresh air compared to the morons on the shows like AC, but that quickly passed.

Give me someone with experience, that's been part of a winning organization. To me, it's really just between Nill and Bergevin. Those are my two main targets, in that order. Fenton is the plan C, but I have my reservations about him.
I would like Damphousse as an assistant GM or something, not as head.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:49 PM
rockjngo

If we hire PATTY ROY, we will have to give him GM and coach. He wants to be in charge. He wants to be the captain of the ship. He will be calling the shots. But Habs want a coach and a GM, Roy could setting for coach and say Pat Brisson joins the team as GM. We've seen agents joining the league as GM Brian Burke, Mike Gillis were agents.

Old
04-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
He's 80 years old and a very loyal man. I'd blanketly trust his opinion. The Hawks won the cup and him helping the Habs will have practically zero bearing on the Hawks. It could only ever hurt them if we meet them in the finals and beat them, which the chances of that happening are pretty damn slim.

Also, the more minds looking for the right guy, the better imo. Say what you want about Detroit's model but its top heavy in management. Look at all the people who are saying Patrick Roy buys success, its because its top heavy in scouting.

Why would you be against that?
I'm not against it, but I'm just saying gotta at least wonder about his motive. If the answer is "He's loyal to his first team still" then good enough for me.

Quote:
Also, there are a few people expressing concern about Savard having too much of a draft from the Q / GM must be french attitude, having someone who understands the Montreal marketplace and giving perspective can only help imo.
Well, if you're expecting someone to come in and say that the GM/Coach don't have to speak french you should think of someone else than Bowman because he has came out and said the same thing Savard did if I remember right.

Old
04-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:

You can't stand in the way of someone's career.

It's the same reason we let the TBL talk to Boucher.

Old
04-01-2012, 01:36 PM
29dryden29

Bowman PLEASE!!!!!

Old
04-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:

Why choose an assistant GM elsewhere ? Why not a real GM with experience
?
Not many guys available out there with that experience and being bilingual

Old
04-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:

Like who?

Giguere who bombed in Colorado? Our 3 mil pro Scout Martin?

The only one I'd really like is Dale Tallon, but good luck getting Florida to release him from his contract.

There just aren't many good former GMs available. Lets see someone with a new perspective. Holland, Shero, Chiarelli all started somewhere.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
That "experience" factor has become the new "get bigger" syndrom. We have to get bigger....but we need guys that play big. Just like we need people with experience who actually used GREATLY that experience....there's plenty of bad people that has experience as well.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
That "experience" factor has become the new "get bigger" syndrom. We have to get bigger....but we need guys that play big. Just like we need people with experience who actually used GREATLY that experience....there's plenty of bad people that has experience as well.
That's why it's important to get someone that has experience being around a winning organization. Which is why my guys are Nill and Bergevin.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
If we hire PATTY ROY, we will have to give him GM and coach. He wants to be in charge. He wants to be the captain of the ship. He will be calling the shots. But Habs want a coach and a GM, Roy could setting for coach and say Pat Brisson joins the team as GM. We've seen agents joining the league as GM Brian Burke, Mike Gillis were agents.
Not happening in a million years. Managing an NHL club as become very complex and requires a hard working mad man that does only that. There is currently zero NHL team that has 1 guy for both positions. It would be dumb, ******** and going back to the 80's.

Can we move forward and have a mangement team of the 21st century?

Old
04-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
That's why it's important to get someone that has experience being around a winning organization. Which is why my guys are Nill and Bergevin.
Don't see why they'd let Nill go now. If they had a plan to keep him all these years, it might have to mean that there's less years left to Holland, Nill has got to be the replacement.

Bergevin is CLEARLY a candidate.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Bob Gainey fit the mold perfectly and look what happened. There's no guarantee with these "winning experienced" guys.

I'd rather go by interviews and what their philosophies are, which we don't know as amateurs, so I'll trust Molson and Savard to make the right choice. Anyone complaining about any GM is clueless because we don't know, unless we are talikng about guys like Michel Bergeron

Old
04-01-2012, 02:29 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
What about Jacques Lemaire for GM? Wasn't he Savard's Assistant GM in the 80's?
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl120330.html

According to Pierre Lebrun, Jacques Lemaire, who could have been on the list of candidates, has stated that he has no interest to become the Canadiens' new GM.

No dice.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl120330.html

According to Pierre Lebrun, Jacques Lemaire, who could have been on the list of candidates, has stated that he has no interest to become the Canadiens' new GM.

No dice.
I'm wishing that a high paying advisor job could perhaps bring him back in the organization though and bring a great hockey mind.

Old
04-01-2012, 03:00 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I'm wishing that a high paying advisor job could perhaps bring him back in the organization though and bring a great hockey mind.
I'd rather have Bowman who said he'd help out in an advisory role if asked.

Come to think of it, I'd take Bowman over Savard any day of the week in that capacity. No disrespect to Savard, but Bowman is probably the greatest hockey mind around and is still very much involved in the game today. I really hope they take him up on his offer. I have a feeling (know) Savard has a bias towards bilingual candidates and I hope it won't exclude some very well deserving candidates out there.

Old
04-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Bob Gainey fit the mold perfectly and look what happened. There's no guarantee with these "winning experienced" guys.

I'd rather go by interviews and what their philosophies are, which we don't know as amateurs, so I'll trust Molson and Savard to make the right choice. Anyone complaining about any GM is clueless because we don't know, unless we are talikng about guys like Michel Bergeron
Bob Gainey was part of a winning team in the pre-lockout era. Clearly he hasn't made the transition as that well.
But I guess you can point at Burke or Rutherford.

There is more to it than just experience and winning, of course. I'm just saying, I want the next GM to have that at least.

Old
04-01-2012, 03:08 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

Come to think of it, I'd take Bowman over Savard any day of the week in that capacity. No disrespect to Savard, but Bowman is probably the greatest hockey mind around and is still very much involved in the game today. I really hope they take him up on his offer. I have a feeling (know) Savard has a bias towards bilingual candidates and I hope it won't exclude some very well deserving candidates out there.
You know Bowman think the same about the language thing right ?

Old
04-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Teamwork

I'm still thinking that Bergevin as the GM, Mcguire as the assistant and Roy as the coach would a great combination.

Last edited by Teamwork: 04-01-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old
04-01-2012, 03:14 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamwork View Post
I'm still thinking that Bergeron as the GM, Mcguire as the assistant and Roy as the coach would a great combination.
Bergeron or Bergevin?

Old
04-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Teamwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Bergeron or Bergevin?
My bad, changed it.

Old
04-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
You can't stand in the way of someone's career.

It's the same reason we let the TBL talk to Boucher.
Well, Detroit has previously refused to let Toronto and Minnesota (both inquired after Nill when they were last time looking for a GM) talk with Nill, Nill has solid non-competition clause in his contract and Red Wings are already paying Nill basically GM-level salary so yes, they can and based on history they will "stand in the way of Nill's career" by keeping him in Detroit.

Old
04-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Forsead

Quote:

Yeah I'm hoping for a dream team.

Advisors for :

All hockey operations - Bowman
General manager - Savard
Coaching : Jacques Lemaire

GM : Marc Bergevin
Assistant GM : Paul Fenton or Doug Risebrough

Coach : Patrick Roy
Ass. Coach : Larry Robinson
Ass. Coach : Benoit Groulx
Goalie Coach : Pierre Groulx

Closed Thread