HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Sharks at Coyotes

Old
03-30-2012, 01:20 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

vCash: 500
PGT: Sharks at Coyotes

MOD EDIT: All posts after the original GDT hit 1,000 have been moved here to this new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
I don't recall what he said. What did he say?
He mentioned how players in the Wings locker room were tuning out from Babcock or something like that. Then all of a sudden, he was canned with no explanation from the Sharks.

Last edited by Moo: 03-30-2012 at 03:21 PM.
ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Something changed after 2 WCF appearances and first in the conf at All Star break to the degree that Koala sucks? I'm not buying it. If he's fired this off-season, no skin off my ass, but blaming him for this predicament is ludicrous.
I would never presume that it's all on him, but my main complaint is the Sharks have been stuck in a rut and I get the impression they're trying to ride it out instead of implementing changes.

I would really like some physicality in their game, but it's either not demanded of the players or the players are unwilling to do it. A team with this much talent and previous success doesn't turn to mush overnight. Someone is gonna get blamed, and when the whole struggles so hard you have to look at the coach first.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
McSorely was fired for talking about another team's coach (Babcock). No surprise Drew won't call out the coaching staff.
Yes, Drew=job security. Can't really blame him though, agree or not.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
They fired him during training camp. Then PHX immediately fired Gretzky and hired Tippett.
Ahh. Hire Gretzky.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
That makes no sense at all. If it's been going on for too long then that implies it's NOT luck.
No, if it were really failing then effective changes could be made. But when we get the number and quality of chances we do night in and out, and lose at a rate worse than the worst team in the league, it is impossible to made effective changes. And that's what has happened all season. It's kind of a counterintuitive concept, but I wish the system really were at fault. The system is as effective this year as it has been since Tmac came here, maybe even moreso.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:21 AM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Ahh. Hire Gretzky.
Why that makes less sense then hiring someone with no experience.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
He mentioned how players in the Wings locker room were tuning out from Babcock or something like that. Then all of a sudden, he was canned with no explanation from the Sharks.
That seems rather weak.

I know he and Randy didn't get along, though.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyball

Quote:
Something changed after 2 WCF appearances and first in the conf at All Star break to the degree that Koala sucks? I'm not buying it. If he's fired this off-season, no skin off my ass, but blaming him for this predicament is ludicrous.
It's called having a stacked roster who can overcome your deficiencies as a coach. Also, they've clearly lost confidence in him and his system which explains the utter collapse of the 2nd half.

He'll be fired, and what i'm saying is you cant really judge this team fairly until you have a coach in place that is truly effective.

Sharks have never had a truly great coach, I expect they would have won a cup by now if they had.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Ahh. Hire Gretzky.
Screw hiring him, sign him to a contract.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
That seems rather weak.

I know he and Randy didn't get along, though.
It was worse than that, I'm sure others remember it better, but it was about Babcock and the Wings locker room.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
garbage_goal

To my eye, the problem is execution. Too many Sharks players not playing to their ability in 2012. Hockey fans tend to get wrapped up in this "they're not trying" stuff because hockey is all about hard work and effort and will, but that's not what I saw tonight. I saw a team that just couldn't execute against the defensive shell the Coyotes went into once they got that goal.

Expectations have been high for the Sharks for years now, but the Cup window the Sharks opened after the Thornton trade is creaking shut, and we're getting a taste of it now. This team just isn't that good anymore. Boyle is getting older (and becoming less effective). Marleau seems to be declining. Burns << Blake. When the team is on its game it can be a top-5 team in the conference, but it's on its game less and less.

I don't think this is an aberration. Wilson's gone all in each of the last couple years... he'll probably try once more 2012-13. But effectively, the Sharks needs to get into rebuild mode. Stanley Cup contention is off the table now.

garbage_goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
That McLellan's system maximizes shot quantity, but minimizes shot quality. Neither of them is going to call out the coaching staff.
les wynan says there's no such thing as better shot quality, you're lying.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:23 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
How many times has this team played each other? Todd isn't a rookie. If he didn't change what you think he should have changed it's not because he's a ****ing idiot. We had our chances.
Just because they played each other before, it doesn't mean every game is exactly the same. And even putting this game aside, the coaches have made mistakes throughout this season. Playing White for a ton of games, staying with a passive PK despite the fact that the best teams in the league play an aggresive style, etc.
In the end, I'm actually fine with keeping McLellan if he hires some competent assistant coaches. He hasn't really shown the ability to do that with Yawney, Shaw, and Woodcroft though.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Plowevelski
3 Rings, 5 Years.

Wellwood was the glue we needed.

Could have been had for peanuts... No instead lets trade McGinn who's really coming into his own for some Wellwood wannabe in Moore, Winnik, and Trolliardi... AWESOME!

Winnik's been ok but the other 2 LOLZ. I've been wanting McGinn back.... **** YOU DW.

Plowevelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Screw hiring him, sign him to a contract.
Maybe he can score a few goals.

Old
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
It's called having a stacked roster who can overcome your deficiencies as a coach. Also, they've clearly lost confidence in him and his system which explains the utter collapse of the 2nd half.

He'll be fired, and what i'm saying is you cant really judge this team fairly until you have a coach in place that is truly effective.

Sharks have never had a truly great coach, I expect they would have won a cup by now if they had.
That's why they just played one of their best games of the season a mere 2 games ago and looked stellar doing it?

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:25 AM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

This.

You and I sure do agree a lot.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:25 AM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
No, if it were really failing then effective changes could be made. But when we get the number and quality of chances we do night in and out, and lose at a rate worse than the worst team in the league, it is impossible to made effective changes. And that's what has happened all season. It's kind of a counterintuitive concept, but I wish the system really were at fault. The system is as effective this year as it has been since Tmac came here, maybe even moreso.
Umm.. no. The longer it persists the more it means something is broken (not necessarily the system), not that it's just bad luck. If we are as good as you think we are, we would have righted the ship by now.

Just a few posts back you mentioned high roster turnover in the off season and lack of chemistry. That's something that I've consistently said to you over the last few weeks, but you keep falling back on bad luck.

It seems you don't understand probability or hockey.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:26 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowevelski View Post
Wellwood was the glue we needed.

Could have been had for peanuts... No instead lets trade McGinn who's really coming into his own for some Wellwood wannabe in Moore, Winnik, and Trolliardi... AWESOME!

Winnik's been ok but the other 2 LOLZ. I've been wanting McGinn back.... **** YOU DW.
Oh yes the Kyle Wellwood fan club is back.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:26 AM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
Seto never took a shift off? He was the definition of streaky and had poor hockey sense on top of that.

Don't get me wrong, we do miss his offense dearly, but he wasn't a glue guy. Not even close.
Well, no suprise that you have no idea what your talking about, again.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:27 AM
ERB82

Does anyonethe else think that vrbata looks like like the guy from underworld when he is about 1/2 way into changing into a warewolf?

ERB82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:27 AM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
That's why they just played one of their best games of the season a mere 2 games ago and looked stellar doing it?
Against the Coyotes? Or were we playing a different team with a different system?

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

Over 1k posts? The Mods aren't here. Rebel everyone. Burn this place down! Let's pull a Vancouver!

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
Well, no suprise that you have no idea what your talking about, again.
Wait, what? You think Setoguchi wasn't an extremely streaky player?

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The problem isn't necessarily Marleau. The problem is that Marleau and Thornton-Pavelski don't mix well on the whole of it. Marleau is at his best when he has a second player that plays at his speed. When Marleau has to slow down to Thornton's pace, he's simply not as good of a player. He's a high-speed player.

If they want to make this work in the next four games, put Marleau back with Havlat, and toss a coin on who is the third player on that line. Thornton just doesn't use Marleau all that much when he's on that line so the disappearing act is expected from my angle. Marleau simply doesn't get the puck on his stick nearly enough for a player of his ability. And part of that is himself not working hard enough to get it and part of it is that when he's playing on a line with Thornton, Thornton rarely gets him the puck.

Very good points regarding Thornton and Marleau playing together. I've noticed this for a while as well.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote