HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Sharks at Coyotes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2012, 07:26 AM
  #101
Thorntonfan97
Jose Bautista: 7 HR
 
Thorntonfan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 233
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
I hate to say it but Ive given up on this team this season I've just simply given up

Thorntonfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:03 AM
  #102
theotis77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,093
vCash: 500
This thread is WAY past the imaginary 1000 post "limit" now. Does the universe collapse or something at this point?

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:10 AM
  #103
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Nah, most fans have already drunk the kool aid and the lights are turning out. I didn't, so I see what's really going on here. The numbers don't lie either.
How about the PK numbers? Our record again lousy teams? Our record against teams that employ the trap? Our defensive numbers for McLellan's entire tenure? Are those numbers lying?

Honest the only thing McLellan does well is coach the PP (though his PP system seems to nose dive in the playoffs) and maybe deal with players 1 on 1 (or so we hear). His on ice strategy is extremely weak, his assistant coaching choices are terrible, and he appears to have completely lost the locker room.

An entire team of star players is having a down year in production and looks like they may not make the playoffs. How do you NOT blame the coaching staff? I just don't understand that logic.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:16 AM
  #104
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 36,783
vCash: 500
It's just luck!

__________________
Devil inside, devil inside, every single one of us, the devil inside.
SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:45 AM
  #105
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 37,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokers Gonna Choke View Post
Hahaha, oh Lord my username rings true. IF there is one thing we know about this team it's that they will choke. Pathetic bunch of cowards . If Todd McLellan isn't fired this off season I will give up as a Sharks fan. It's been a long time but it's not worth it to follow these sacks of **** with a worthless GM and a useless coaching staff. I'll just have to start following some other team then.
Now I actually hope the team misses the playoffs. Anybody that is going to have their fandom of a team depend on making the playoffs is hard to have any respect for.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:55 AM
  #106
redfish
awesome hockey dude
 
redfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
What I hate most is the fact that the Sharks with the skill they have, still feel like dump and chase is their best option.With a team like the Yotes, that **** ain't gonna work too well.
completely agree. I am a hockey junky and watch lots of games. I observe that most teams try to make plays with the puck entering the zone without giving up possession, which sometimes results in easy goals(from nice passing plays). They tend to dump only as a last resort. It seems we rarely get easy goals, because we rarely get any nice passing plays on the rush because we constantly give up possession by dumping the puck, then need to work our tails off to regain possession, and then are playing 5v5 in the O zone, which makes scoring much more difficult. I think if we got a few more plays and goals on the rush, we could make our lives much easier.

redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:11 AM
  #107
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,768
vCash: 500
If you think bad luck is why burns fans on an open net, havlat cant lift the puck, wingels messes up a 1 on 1 with the goalie, and more than half of our shots have randy saying "just wide!" i dont know what to tell you. i understand the essence of luck, but in turn you have to create it sometimes by actually taking a shot that forces a rebound. and having someone other than pavelski scrambling for second chances.

the team "tried" but they were scared of neutral zone turn overs and decided not to skate agains them. but they have no issues with trying a ridiculous stretch pass which leads to more dump and chase.

the team executes breakouts like they do against the bruins or the preds or colorado, who all have a very intense forecheck and this game looks a lot different.

this team needs a reality check, when you are on the road the only thing you can do is try to out skate them, push them back and skate the blue line, if they take the puck off you turn your ass around and back check hard, but keep doing it, eventually when you start leaving them in your dust they are gonna instinctively back off the blue line.

also the amount of offsides we have is ridiculous, timing is just horrible. so when we do skate it through we ruin it OURSELVES. then we let them setup on a face off. thats not bad luck its execution execution execution.

luck is such a cop out its not even funny. i dont deny its existence, but to attribute our woes to it is amazing. we lack finishing, we have ONE player willing to battle in the paint, we have a slow player with a good shot that only battles on the half boards, we have a ghost who tries to sneak in goals but aims at the chest more often than not, we have a player who loves to dangle 3 or 4 defenseman, and we have a guy who LOVES passing more than anything in the world. probably more than a few are playing injured and we dont move the puck fast enough to play 5 on 5 in their zone. the system needed to be adjusted in the second period to generate at least a few more odd man rushes but it wasnt. and thats why we lost.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:33 AM
  #108
Thepainter
Registered User
 
Thepainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
Came in late an hour today, told my boss not to worry as it was just bad luck. I told him "look at the numbers, they don't lie. This is an abnormality."

Yeah, in the real world that excuse doesn't cut it. When you're being paid millions, it shouldn't even be thought about as a valid excuse.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
  #109
ilikebigjoe
Registered User
 
ilikebigjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Came in late an hour today, told my boss not to worry as it was just bad luck. I told him "look at the numbers, they don't lie. This is an abnormality."

Yeah, in the real world that excuse doesn't cut it. When you're being paid millions, it shouldn't even be thought about as a valid excuse.
problem with the sharks is that their weak play hasnt been an abnormality...im by no means defending the "its bad puck luck" thats there but has nothing to do with why we are in 9th. team cant score goals, lacks finishers, and our top goal goal scorer who was on fire has been awful since he got hurt and missed a couple games, our d doesnt produce goals, and patrick marleau has been a detriment to this team ALL of march. i think there are a lot of guys on this team, particularly the bottom 6 FWDs who have just been so used to not having to worry about NEEDING to chip in to make the playoffs, they needed to just play their game and we'll be fine cuz our top 6 was scoring plenty and same with the pp.

now, #pps are down and ours is not clicking, our top 6 cant put anything in the net, and the bottom six are being relied on heavily for production and that is a disaster when you need to rely on a 3rd and 4th line goal or two game in and game out

ilikebigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:05 AM
  #110
7150
Lockout Season
 
7150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Now I actually hope the team misses the playoffs. Anybody that is going to have their fandom of a team depend on making the playoffs is hard to have any respect for.
You want the Sharks to miss the playoffs because of one shmuck on a hockey forum?

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
  #111
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 36,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7150 View Post
You want the Sharks to miss the playoffs because of one shmuck on a hockey forum?
To be fair, there are lots of schmucks here.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:14 AM
  #112
Wedontneedroads
Registered User
 
Wedontneedroads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 2,956
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Came in late an hour today, told my boss not to worry as it was just bad luck. I told him "look at the numbers, they don't lie. This is an abnormality."

Yeah, in the real world that excuse doesn't cut it. When you're being paid millions, it shouldn't even be thought about as a valid excuse.
You're paid millions?

Where can I get your job?

On a Sharks related note, at least it's not as bad as 02-03. That season was way worse because expectations were so high, and they failed from the get go. I had to drag my dad to games that year. The current playoff run they have been on has been awesome. 7 straight years is a pretty impressive feat. Even if they do make the playoffs there are just better teams out there, and a Cup is highly unlikely this year. Definitely sucks because expectations were so high, but this Pacific division is a lot tougher than team's records indicate.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:30 AM
  #113
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts
 
CrazedZooChimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,204
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Came in late an hour today, told my boss not to worry as it was just bad luck. I told him "look at the numbers, they don't lie. This is an abnormality."

Yeah, in the real world that excuse doesn't cut it. When you're being paid millions, it shouldn't even be thought about as a valid excuse.
Welll, you can probably get away with that excuse once. It's just if you do it 40 times that you should be fired. Which hopefully they will be. Or something.

Shouldn't this thread be locked?

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:38 AM
  #114
SharksFan1
Registered User
 
SharksFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AroJay View Post
This thread is WAY past the imaginary 1000 post "limit" now. Does the universe collapse or something at this point?
Yes! and hell freezes over, and the Sharks start winning.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:25 PM
  #115
Thepainter
Registered User
 
Thepainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
I knew the 1000 post limit for threads was a myth.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:08 PM
  #116
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
No, if it were something that could be actively fixed, it would have been righted by now. It's not, that's why it hasn't.



Chemistry is an issue and that's responsible for the team not challenging for the President's trophy this year. It was always a potential issue. However the reason they are out of the playoff picture right now is that on top of that, they have had TERRIBLE luck the entire second half.



Or do I understand that the probability of this team meriting as low a winning percentage as they have garnered over the last portion of the season is too low to be realistic? This team is way better than its record, and not only on paper. On the ice.
Do you actually play hockey and/or watch the game on a regular basis? And while you argue your probabilities, do you understand that your own argument about having 'bad luck' for an entire 41 game span, in whatever you use to define that luck, is statistically impossible? Unless of course you believe in voodoo.

The Sharks have significant problems that need to be addressed or they will continue to have this bad luck you speak of in the future.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:10 PM
  #117
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Do you actually play hockey and/or watch the game on a regular basis? And while you argue your probabilities, do you understand that your own argument about having 'bad luck' for an entire 41 game span, in whatever you use to define that luck, is statistically impossible? Unless of course you believe in voodoo.

The Sharks have significant problems that need to be addressed or they will continue to have this bad luck you speak of in the future.
Whether you think its the coach, or the players, or voodoo, THIS.

This bad luck stuff needs to stop, its not only inaccurate, it's dangerous. If the players started believing crap like that, it would be a cancer, even if it was true.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:45 PM
  #118
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 37,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
To be fair, there are lots of schmucks here.
You say this because I'm also a schmuck. lol

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:50 PM
  #119
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,665
vCash: 500
I agree that the sudden mantra of "it is just bad luck" is disheartening.

If you win, you deserve to win. If you lose, you deserve to lose. Everything else is excuses.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:57 PM
  #120
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 37,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I agree that the sudden mantra of "it is just bad luck" is disheartening.

If you win, you deserve to win. If you lose, you deserve to lose. Everything else is excuses.
That kind of absolutism is ridiculous. Not all forms of reasoning and rationalization is an excuse.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:08 PM
  #121
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
That kind of absolutism is ridiculous. Not all forms of reasoning and rationalization is an excuse.
That isn't what I am saying. You can say that they didn't deserve to win, and then give reasons and rationals as to why the team didn't deserve to win. But to rationalize or reason the defeat itself as something the team did not deserve is silly, at least in my opinion.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:30 PM
  #122
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!
 
MadmanSJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 1,317
vCash: 500
Sharks don't have excuses, they only have reasons.

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:36 PM
  #123
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
And while you argue your probabilities, do you understand that your own argument about having 'bad luck' for an entire 41 game span, in whatever you use to define that luck, is statistically impossible? Unless of course you believe in voodoo.
Please do explain how it is statistically impossible ... this oughtta be good.

It's obviously not statistically impossible because we're seeing it happen. The reason it's so frustrating is because it is statistically extremely unlikely, and in fact I would be surprised if we had a 40-game stretch of PDO this bad for another 20 years.

Phu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:45 PM
  #124
nabbyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SJC
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Everybody in here seems to be acting like an NHL season is something you can model in an AP Stats class....its not.

Pumping 40 shots into a goalies chest and scoring 1 or 2, makes it seem like we have a very low shooting percentage when really, we take crappy shots.

The main thing Ive taken away from the recent games is that other teams are simply better than the Sharks. When Vrbata scored his second goal, did anybody else just call out "Where heres a goal" when they crossed the blue line? I sure did. Now think back to a time when the Sharks skate in on an oddman rush like that and you are 100% confident that they will bury it. This current group lacks the ability to score. Take Wingels last night in front of the net, all alone, puck on his stick. No goal. Put a Coyote player in the same situation and Id be willing to bet they at least generate a scoring chance, and not fling the puck a mile over the net.

Having no goal scorers /= bad luck. Anybody who thinks the Sharks are on the outside looking in due to some curse placed on them by Setoguchi or whatever is just kidding themselves. Watch other games in the West, and then come try to tell me the Sharks are in the top flite of the West? We simply arent.

nabbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:41 PM
  #125
Trojan35
Registered User
 
Trojan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
The reason it's so frustrating is because it is statistically extremely unlikely, and in fact I would be surprised if we had a 40-game stretch of PDO this bad for another 20 years.
We won't. Because someone with some hockey sense will either adjust the system to prioritize scoring chances over impotent shots on goal---it'll either be McLellan or his successor. But you'll claim that this validates your "unlucky" theory, so we'll keep having this conversation until one of us gets sick of it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nabbyfan View Post
Put a Coyote player in the same situation and Id be willing to bet they at least generate a scoring chance, and not fling the puck a mile over the net.
This. It's not that it occasionally happens, it's that Sharks players really, truly, can't aim for ****. Dunno if it's lack of shooting practice, shooting practice not simulating game situations, team rewarding passing/puck control over shooting, or what.


Last edited by Trojan35: 03-30-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.