HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I'm 26 and I want to play in adult hockey league

Old
07-31-2012, 03:45 PM
turbodaze

vCash: 500
I'm 26 and I want to play in adult hockey league

Hi, my name is Jared. I'm 26 years old. I live in state that isn't really big for hockey, South Dakota. There is the Sioux Falls Stampede and Rapid City Rush so it's not too bad. Hockey isn't a school sport here so I was never raised much on it besides JOE SAKIC and the Colorado AVS! I got into watching hockey seriously in 2009 going to a AHL game (Manitoba Moose vs Hamilton Bulldogs).

In Sioux Falls, we have a recreational ice skating rink that opens from November till May. For 2 winter seasons I go to a outdoor skating rink to practice skating and stick-handling skills but I know it's not enough.

I have no friends that would want to play hockey with me. I don't know where to go to tryout for a team. I just want to be IN the game and have fun. I don't mind it being serious but I'm not looking to do any traveling league. I just love the sport is all and want to be apart of it. I'm 5'11 and 175 pounds so I'm in decent shape I think.

My legs and calves are very strong since I bike ride or jog quite a bit.
I can't skate backwards yet.
I'm sure I need to learn to pass the puck better since I have no one to practice with.

Luckily there is hope. A new YEAR ROUND ice-rink is be proposed and donations are almost to 2 million and hopefully it will be made in fall 2014.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ORTS/307190035

Can anyone give me tips on how I can train in the summer?
Where can I go to look for others to play hockey?

How well do those sliding boards work for stick handling and skating?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 543364_10151785744930103_260746870_n.jpg‎ (110.9 KB, 73 views)

turbodaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Devil Dancer

Personally I have found that roller hockey training beats no training. Consider getting yourself some inline skates and some street sticks to work on hockey skills in the summer.

I found it particularly useful for practicing shooting, since you can practice that with a regular ice puck without too much difference, as long as you have something sturdy to shoot against, like a brick wall.

Some people think practicing with roller equipment hurts their ice hockey game, and they might be right, but as a beginner you're probably better off skating, stick handling and shooting as much as possible, regardless of whether it's perfect training or not.

Good luck.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 04:28 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

I agree with Devil Dancer. If you haven't really played before, get whatever hockey time you can get. However, once you can regularly get ice time, I'd stop playing roller entirely while you work on ice skating.

I grew up playing roller from age 10 til about 21, then switched to ice. Count me as someone who thinks that playing both greatly hinders you learning how to ice skate. That said, after you get the technique/mechanics down for ice skating, you can play both.

My other advice, start working on not having to look at the puck/ball while stick handling and keeping your head up as soon as you can.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:10 PM
doug5984

Send a message via AIM to doug5984
Agree with the above, but also want to add- get a goal (make one if you need), a bunch of pucks- and shoot as much as you can, from every angle. When you can't skate- shoot.

doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:00 PM
turbodaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Personally I have found that roller hockey training beats no training. Consider getting yourself some inline skates and some street sticks to work on hockey skills in the summer.

I found it particularly useful for practicing shooting, since you can practice that with a regular ice puck without too much difference, as long as you have something sturdy to shoot against, like a brick wall.

Some people think practicing with roller equipment hurts their ice hockey game, and they might be right, but as a beginner you're probably better off skating, stick handling and shooting as much as possible, regardless of whether it's perfect training or not.

Good luck.
Actually we have a inline hockey rink on the other side of town. I have rollerblades and a inline hockey puck and stick. I'll go over there tomorrow.

I'm wondering what position I should go for. I'm left handed.

Old
07-31-2012, 09:42 PM
doug5984

Send a message via AIM to doug5984
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodaze View Post
Actually we have a inline hockey rink on the other side of town. I have rollerblades and a inline hockey puck and stick. I'll go over there tomorrow.

I'm wondering what position I should go for. I'm left handed.
Just starting out- stick to the wing, in our league this is how it typically goes. The better skaters go for D and C mostly, wing goes to the newer guys

I just started playing ice hockey after taking 10 years off from playing roller when I was a kid- just stick with it, have fun, and you'll get better

doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5984 View Post
Just starting out- stick to the wing, in our league this is how it typically goes. The better skaters go for D and C mostly, wing goes to the newer guys
Definitely agree, when starting out play wing.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:24 AM
TrueBlue86

i'm 26 and i'm starting too

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:43 AM
robmneilson

Just go find a local novice league, and email the director saying you would like to be placed on a team. I started playing ice @ 28 and got set up on a novice team and played as much as possible. After a year I got decent enough to play up a couple divisions.

Don't be afraid, everyone sucks when they start. Just skate as much as possible, and if you can get into a weekly clinic that is going to help your skills more than playing in any league!

Good luck, and have fun!

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Welcome to hockey! My advice would be something already mentioned: when you can't train on the ice, train by shooting or stick handling or working on your legs.

If you can, your best bet is to buy a large shooting pad and goal ( something sturdy enough to take hard shots ) and a couple dozen pucks. Working on this alone will improve your shot in no-time. I used to shoot 200 pucks every other day.

Get a green biscuit or one of the wooden stick handling balls. They both have a different feel to them but will improve your hand-eye coordination and will make you feel more comfortable with the puck on your stick.

Try hockey lunges and square to work on your legs... The stronger the better.
Have fun!

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:16 PM
turbodaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Welcome to hockey! My advice would be something already mentioned: when you can't train on the ice, train by shooting or stick handling or working on your legs.

If you can, your best bet is to buy a large shooting pad and goal ( something sturdy enough to take hard shots ) and a couple dozen pucks. Working on this alone will improve your shot in no-time. I used to shoot 200 pucks every other day.

Get a green biscuit or one of the wooden stick handling balls. They both have a different feel to them but will improve your hand-eye coordination and will make you feel more comfortable with the puck on your stick.

Try hockey lunges and square to work on your legs... The stronger the better.
Have fun!
Don't worry my legs are fine =)

Old
08-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Islanderfan17

I know you want to play ice, but are there any roller/dek arena's in your area? I say some hockey is better than no hockey, and all kinds of hockey are a hell of a lot of fun. I wanted to play Ice as well but fell in love with Dek hockey because it plays so well to my endurance and speed, also it is A LOT easier to practice dek considering all you need is a street hockey net and ball in your drive way.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Johann

Hey Jared. I actually started playing hockey a little earlier this year at the age of 23. The rink near where I live has an adult skills clinic during the spring and summer along with open hockey and a men's league. I signed up for the skills clinic. I could barely skate at the time. However, even though I started as one of the most inexperienced players in the clinic and I'm no Gretzky at the moment, I've improved immensely.

Through the clinic I've made friends (especially with the only other beginner who is actually the same age as you.) A few people in the clinic have told me that they didn't start playing hockey until their 30's! And those guys are pretty good.

It's good that you ride a bike because I've been told that is good conditioning for skating. From what experienced people have told me, until you get back on the ice in may, practicing stickhandling and on inline skates is a great idea. Who knows? Maybe you'll prefer roller. I started trying to get into roller in the beginning but switched to ice since there were more opportunities to do so in my area. A lot of people I've read say that roller training is better than no training at all.

Depending on how well you know how to skate, I recommend getting a skating lesson or two. One lesson improved my skating so much.

Good luck from a rookie,
Jack

Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodaze View Post
Don't worry my legs are fine =)
You haven't worked your legs/hips like you will in hockey, especially if you've never consistently skated (ice or dry).

That said, welcome to hockey! The best decision of your life!

I started when I was 26, and now creeping up on 32 and still enjoy it as much, if not MORE, than when I started (probably more, since I can actually play the game rather than manage to stay on my skates).

If ice is your goal, and it should be, get some roller blades and street pucks and practice puck handling while in motion. You don't need to learn the crazy roller stops or anything, just work on stick/puck/ball stuff to get your hands and forearms familiar with the movements. It's all about muscle memory after all.

As far as friends go, it does help to have a buddy to go with when you're starting out. I had my brother, and it was great. However, I've met SOOOO many people from the years of playing so you'll no doubt find guys and gals like you who are new to the sport, but love it. It won't take long. And if you can get into a Hockey Beginner Class it makes it easier to find people of your level, especially when trying to form a team and what not.

Good luck! Hockey is the best sport by far and playing it makes it even better.

Cheers beers,

REM

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 09:46 PM
turbodaze

I got an email from the league director. I would totally be into doing this...

"The C division is a new level this year with players with little or no organized hockey experience. This level will start Sept. 10th and run 4 weeks in the fall. And 15 weeks in the spring.

The league is having a captains meeting next Thursday to discuss some league rule changes. After that I will get you a registration form then. The league is also USA Hockey sanctioned league, with USA hockey refs."