HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

compression pants for kids?

Old
08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
mistrhanky

vCash: 500
compression pants for kids?

Largely new to the hockey scene and have a year old starting to play. He really does not care much for the knee/legs pads being strapped right against his legs. Do a lot of people play with compression pants? Do they find this gets to hot and adapt to just directly wearing the gear or is it pretty common? Also, wear do most people go for stuff like that at a reasonable price? $40-$50 bucks just seems crazy to me for what amounts to tights for a kid...

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:04 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

I guess he was an early walker. My 3 year old can just now skate pretty good.

My oldest uses soccer socks that go up past his knee. It is what he is comfortable with.

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:07 PM
oStealthKiller

if your worried about spending $40-$50 on gear, this is the wrong sport for you to put your son in.

but as far the tights go, the price you mentioned means that the brand you are looking at is under armor, you can find other, less big name brands that have the tights for half the price

oStealthKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:13 PM
PaperworkNinja

A hot-weather variant that has been working for me is to buy skate socks that come up to right below my knees and strap the pads on over them instead of going with my thermals.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:35 PM
mistrhanky

oops. heh. 6 year old...

Dang. That is a smart way of looking at it, from the bottom up. The socks thing might be just the ticket and would cut down on the heat. Thanks for the suggestion.

As to the cost, yes, hockey is definitely pricey. I can understand and expect some of that cost, I was just hoping not to spend $50 on underwear:-)

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:56 PM
theFinn

I've got 2 boys in hockey, aged 5 and 9. When they started out (both at age 4) we just got them some long underwear to wear under their equipment. That's pretty common among their teammates as well. $6 at Walmart and keeps them warm on the ice in some of our super cold Alberta arenas.

Last year we got our older son a set of compression pants and shirt as he's reaching the age where the features of those come in handy (and as pointed out hockey is expensive so don't sweat the little $50 touches too much when your kid is going to ask for $600 skates at some point!)

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:26 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
oops. heh. 6 year old...

Dang. That is a smart way of looking at it, from the bottom up. The socks thing might be just the ticket and would cut down on the heat. Thanks for the suggestion.

As to the cost, yes, hockey is definitely pricey. I can understand and expect some of that cost, I was just hoping not to spend $50 on underwear:-)
My oldest is six too. Thermals wouldnt cut it down here in the South. I still wear shorts and a t-shirt when I get out there for my youngest has his lesson.

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote