HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

If the NHL misses another season...

View Poll Results: If the NHL missed an entire season due to the 2012 CBA, how would it impact you?
Long-time fan, would NOT return to current level of NHL support. 14 11.76%
Long-time fan, would return to current level of NHL support. 91 76.47%
New fan, would NOT return to current level of NHL support. 2 1.68%
New fan, would return to current level of NHL support. 12 10.08%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

vCash: 500
If the NHL misses another season...

..what would you do as a fan of the NHL?

Are you a relatively new fan (think since last lockout) or NHL lifer?
Would you return to supporting the game (financially, emotionally) as much as you do now? (can't help yourself) Or would you pick-up another spectator sport?

Buttonwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Hmm, I consider myself a relatively new fan, and I would probably not be as big of a fan. A year out, and I'd find something better to do, and it would be hard to return. A lockout would highlight the incompetencies in the league in such a way that I would hesitate to invest my time and resources in supporting it.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:15 PM
acor

Quote:
..what would you do as a fan of the NHL?
Umm...kill myself ? Go to Bettman/Fehr office and protest ? I don't understand this question. What would I suppose to do ? Life goes on.

Quote:
Are you a relatively new fan (think since last lockout) or NHL lifer?
Since mid 90s. So not excatly "a new fan", but I wouldn't dare to consider myself "NHL lifer".

Quote:
Would you return to supporting the game (financially, emotionally) as much as you do now? (can't help yourself) Or would you pick-up another spectator sport?
Sure, why not ? Already survived one lockout, would survive second if nessecary. Just would be sad that NFL and NBA, wich are considered "prima donna" egocentric leagues can compromise to avoid work stoppage, while fan friendly, down to earth NHL would face second one in a decade.

acor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:02 PM
gsharpe

The unfortunate fact is that this is basically an abusive relationship for me. (not trying to trivialize real life abusive relationships)

I could get beaten up and I'd still come back and watch every single Canucks game. I find it extremely unfair because you'd think the people that supply all the income for the sport (the fans) aren't allowed a single voice into how the league is run.

I mean, to be clear, I love hockey, not the NHL. I don't like obstruction. I think the game should be played as it was up to about late January, early February. The league should support natural talent.

I also think that revenue should be split 50/50. Sure the players are the product, but the owners supply the arena, the equipment, the cameras, and everything else. I hope that both sides can come to a mutually beneficial cba, but frankly it won't matter to me because I love watching hockey. And even better, the best hockey players in the world.

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:32 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
i would cry

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:36 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Born and raised in Minnesota/NoDak and have been playing puck since I was 3. I have more devils jerseys than I care to count and I sleep/eat/breathe hockey. Yeah, a lockout would really tick me off, but the second the puck was dropped once the lockout ended I'd be there.

I'd watch a Devils preseason game over the superbowl so that should pretty much tell you all you need to know about how dedicated I am to the sport.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

I would come back. And don't get me wrong, I'd be livid. That being said, I'd have no choice but to come back. I'm totally addicted.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

I would be upset/mad/frustrated... but I would also impatiently await it's return and welcome it back with loving arms.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:43 PM
MikeModano9

During the last lockout I moved to Europe for a year..but I doubt I would have moved there if there wasn't a lockout. So I'd also just wait for it to come back and love it just as much.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:48 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

I'd definitely still be a fan... but I'd be so ****ing pissed.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

I've been a Bruins/ hockey fan for over 50 years. It is the only sport I really follow.

I would be back.

03-31-2012, 03:04 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

I'd be pissed, and angry and sad. But how could I randomly not watch hockey if it came back after a 3rd lockout? Hockey takes up about 25% of my life, I'm obsessed with this stuff.

Not a true fan if you think missing a ~few months-year would make you stop watching hockey forever..

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
I would continue watching as if nothing happened. I would then learn the new CBA. I wanted to learn everything about this one, but I'm not going to read a 400 page document when it could be changed in a few months.

03-31-2012, 05:39 PM
questhockey

Get the CBA right this time
CAP
RULES!!! Penalties (refs are crap now due to rules leaving so much interpretation)
Obstruction and headshots is my biggest hatred in league right now. Slow guys holding up the speed. And the lack of respect head shots.
Travel
Pension
and whatever needs done.
If they fix everything properly. If NHL can get it right. I'll be back. If they don't crack down on obstruction, and headshots. I'll probably watch almost none, and I have been playing an watching hockey since I could walk.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Gustav Nyquist

I wouldn't be able to follow any other sport, they all suck. And I need hockey to keep me occupied when I have nothing else to do. Video games cannot do that for me 24/7.

I'd probably just watch college stuff, maybe some CHL/SEL/KHL streams online or something.

Gustav Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:40 PM
SB164

You don't choose to watch hockey. Hockey chooses you.

And I'm not even in Russia.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:45 PM
aemoreira1981

I'd come back, but the NHL and the NHLPA would have some explaining to do. MLB and the NFL were able to get it done without missing any regular-season games (the NFL did miss a single pre-season game), but the NBA hurt itself with a partial season loss.

The NHL, however, as a gate-driven sport, needs to come to an agreement.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:50 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
This poll is asking the wrong people. I think the number would be a lot higher if toy were polling people who couldn't care enough about the sport to chat about it on a message board.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Bruv
Loveless

I don't think the owners are stupid enough to allow another season get canceled. Can you imagine how bad the TV ratings would be the year after?

Same with some of the teams who struggle to bring in fans, that would be terrible for them.

Bruv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:59 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
I would be very disappointed, guess I would follow the KHL or SEL as much as possible. I probably would return to the same level of support, but missing another season so soon after the last missed season is really sticking it to fans.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:09 AM
WingsFan95

Been a fan of the Wings since 1994/95, hence my name.

The 04/05 lockout did affect my viewership. I don't think I've gotten back to the NHL the same as before the lockout really. Although when the Wings made the Cup Final I was certainly very aware of what was going on.

The NFL has definitely taken over as the primary sport for me.

But this is coming from a guy who plays Tennis and Basketball quite extensively. So both football and hockey are viewer sports for me and the NBA is helping itself with the super teams and overt penalties.

To be honest as a viewer, it's NFL/Tennis and then everything else.

Another lockout would probably hinder my NHL fandom due in large part because I am simply getting older and have less time to sit down and watch games. The NFL gets my attention because it's largely a once a week viewership.

This is why MLB is dead last to me, I just don't care to watch that many games.

I don't know what's been going on with these concussion issues. I almost feel the NHL is being too cautious because I do not recall a time period similar to the past two seasons with so many players missing substantial time due to concussions. I still hate the 3 man shootout ( prefer 5 man ) and the way Bettman has handled the whole Phoenix issue.

Right now I'm lucky to catch one NHL game a week and it's usually a Wings game. Come playoff time I'll probably only care about the Wings until the Conference Finals.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

I've been a fan for almost ten years. Don't get me wrong, I'd be livid if we lost another season to lockout, but there's no way I'm going to stop following the league or the sport.

Don't know what I'd do during the lockout, though. I'd probably follow the KHL or the SEL, or wherever some of my favorite players were playing.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:01 PM
begbeee

Lockout definitely hurt an attention I have paid to NHL. It lasted about 2-3 seasons since I came back to pre-lockout level of following.
Considered myself long-time fan, since I follow NHL since 1994.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Kulluminati

I'd be annoyed and sad, but then I would just pay more attention to other sports and resume watching hockey when it comes back.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:59 AM
Robb_K

I moved to Europe in 1972. But I'm still an NHL fan. I've been one since 1951. I grew up with HNIC radio, no NHL team in Winnipeg, but seeing games sometimes in Toronto, Detroit and Chicago, and, later TV. I played organised hockey for 18 years. Although The NHL is only one of the leagues I've followed, I wouldn't desert it just because there is a strike or lockout.

But, another lost season so soon would be a disaster for The League. I can't imagine the Players Union and owners being so irrational as to let that happen in negotiation for this next contract.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote