HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2012 Draft Thread: Part VI | Countdown To Draft Lottery: 2 Days

View Poll Results: Murray or Grigorenko
Murray 61 30.50%
Grigorenko 90 45.00%
I'm happy with either 44 22.00%
Other 5 2.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2012, 07:33 PM
McDoused

vCash: 500
41. Jake McCabe: LH Defenceman
Height: 6'1" Weight: 200lbs
Born: October 12th, 1993
U. of Wisconsin (WCHA): 26GP 3G 9A 12P, +0, 12PIM
NHL Comparable:
Projection: Top Four Defenceman
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

42. Phil Di Giuseppe: Center
Height: 6'1" Weight: 200lbs
Born: October 9th, 1993
Birthplace: Maple, Ontario
U. of Michigan (CCHA): 39GP 11G 15A 26P, +23, 18PIM
NHL Comparable:
Projection: Second Line Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinny
It can't be stressed how hard it is for a junior prospect to be playing in the NCAA. Not only do they have to play against much bigger and more experienced skaters, they have to worry about education and working their way up the lineup. Playing against 23, 24, and 25 year olds definitely has its challenges for lanky teenagers. Yet, Di Giuseppe not only holds his own, he thrives. Phil Di Giuseppe is incredibly hard to knock off the puck, has a thick frame and his style of game is very well-rounded.

Not only does Phil possess great physical attributes, he has a great work ethic, an undying love for the game and an excellent set of wheels. He has the skill and speed to take the puck but has improved his physical play this year. His strong play garnered him a look at canada's WJC camp and caught the eye of legendary coach Red Berenson. It doesn't hurt that he finished second on the team in terms of plus-minus with +23. Di Giuseppe is incredibly versatile and works hard.

On the other hand, Di Giuseppe doesn't generally undress defenders with highlight reel moves. He has a lot of tools in his toolbox but generally plays a safe game rather than trying to beat defenders one-on-one. I think his lack of offensive talent might keep him out of the first round but thats not to say he doesn't possess a solid shot and playmaking ability. He doesn't always show up on the stat sheet playing against other teams top lines. Still he has dropped out of the first round after his offense dropped from a very good start.

43. Cristoval "Boo" Nieves: Center/ Left Winger
Height: 6'3" Weight: 185lbs
Born: January 23rd, 1994
Birthplace: Baldwinsville, New York
Indiana Ice (USHL): 4GP 0G 2A 2P, +2, 0PIM
NHL Comparable: Joe Nieuwendyk / Chris Kreider
Projection: Top Nine Forward
Favorite Team: Los Angeles
Fun Fact: He plays the drums and guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinny
When you start to describe Cristoval Nieves, you can't help but get excited. He is a big powerful forward that has incredibly soft hands, blazing speed that allows him to blow by defenders and a hockey IQ that makes him know how he is going to beat defenders before he even picks up the puck. Why then, is he not a lock for the first round? The answer is one that most prep school hockey players face. Nieves has been playing against a relatively weak level of competition thus far. Luckily, Boo has recently joined one of the best teams in the USHL in the Indiana Ice and could really showcase his talent if the Ice make a strong playoff push. Internationally he hasn't looked out of place and at times even looked better than his teammate Alex Galchenyuk.

As a pass first type of player, Cristoval needs to be a bit more selfish and work on shooting the puck more. Given that he posted 43 goals in just 23 games a year ago, he is certainly capable of putting the puck in the back of the net. Boo makes the players around him better and isn't afraid to go into the dirty areas to help his team win. He is a great character guy and has been described as "one of the best skaters to come through prep school hockey In the seven years he has been there" by his former Kent High School head coach- Matt Herr.

Having said all that, whoever takes Nieves will have to be patient as he is already committed to a very good Michigan University program. It also worth noting that his rights are held by the OHL's Niagra Ice Dogs. Although he will have a better chance to work on his physical game in the NCAA, playing for a potential memorial cup winner isn't a bad backup option.

He is still very RAW at this point and for all of his strengths, he still has a lot to learn. Proving he can develop his game against bigger and stronger players will definitely be a challenge. I also wouldn't underestimate having a friend like JVR in Philadelphia to turn to for advice.

44. Malcom Subban: LH Goaltender
Height: 6'2" Weight: 188lbs
Born: December 21st, 1993
Birthplace: Rexdale, Ontario
Belleville Bulls (OHL): 39GP 2.50GAA, 0.923S%
NHL Comparable: Henrik Lundqvist / Marc-André Fleury
Projection: Franchise Goaltender
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinny:
Malcom is an extremely athletic butterfly style goaltender that follows the play very well. He can read defenders and position himself accordingly. His mix of positional play and athleticism makes him a very intriguing prospect. When he plays he is arguably the best goaltender in the draft and it shows with his 0.930 save percentage. In addition to save percentage he has a respectable 2.500 GAA and has won 25 games while only losing 14 playing for the Bulls. That is, when he is healthy.

Subban has already suffered groin and ankle injuries already this early in his career. Anytime you hear about a goaltender with injuries or agility issues at a young age, it's alarming to say the least. Another red flag is the inexperience that Malcom Subban has. He started much later than most prospects at the age of 12. He has done a lot in the 6 years between the pipes and has obviously developed quicker than most goaltenders. Still, he has a long road ahead of him in terms of development. He is still a project at this point and definitely has scouts divided. He has had a lot of ups and downs thus far and a very risky pick for someone looking in the first round. Malcom isn't as polished as other goaltenders and needs time to develop. Still, his high ceiling is very attractive to several teams.

Finally, those who are expecting a PK clone will be very disappointed. He has a much different personality. Malcom is very sound positionally and has an active stick. He doesn't give you a whole lot to shoot at and has the ability to make unbelieveable saves. He has accumulated a lot fans and will continue to represent his country. I wouldn't be surprised if someone with two first round picks takes a flyer on him. Very high risk/reward player.

45. Gemel Smith: Center
Height: 5'11" Weight: 161lbs
Born: April 16th, 1994
Owen Sound Attack (OHL): 68GP 21G 39A 60P, +9, 51PIM
NHL Comparable: Brad Marchand / Daniel Briere
Projection: Top Six Winger
Quote:
The Skinny:
It's not hard to become a fan of the explosive, offensive, and elusive Gemel Smith. Smith is a crafty center that can ignite any team. He has exceptional wheels that allow him to blow past defenders and excellent vision that allows him to find the open man and make the guys around him better. He is almost impossible to strip of the puck and makes you pay with his slick and underrated shot. Obviously teams have to be aware of Smith when he is on the ice because he consistently uses his offensive instincts to his advantage. All the while, he plays a 300 foot game and is defensively reliable.

Unfortunately, what Smith makes up for in heart and character he lacks in size. He is incredibly tenacious and energetic but has had a lot of problems playing against bigger, stronger defencemen in the OHL. Smith can never force himself to grow but if anyone in this draft class were to use his small stature as an advantage and not a weakness, it's Smith. He is so good positionally, so elusive and so hard to knock off the puck; I don't see Smith being held out of the NHL. His penalty killing ability alone should warrant some NHL icetime.

In his second full OHL season, Smith has put up more than respectable numbers. They arne't outstanding numbers but they are respectable. He has had to battle his way up the depth chart so his totals aren't as high as a player that has consistenly seen first line ice-time. With this in mind, he is only third on his team in scoring and as a smaller player that usually isn't a great sign. I definitely think Smith has it in him to be a top 6 forward at the NHL level with the way he plays the game. Taking a smaller player is always a risk but Smith brings so many other attributes to his game that most smaller skilled forwards lack.

46. Colton Sissons: RH Center
Height: 6'1" Weight: 189lbs
Born: November 5th, 1993
Kelowna Rockets (WHL): 58GP 26G 15A 41P, -13, 62PIM
NHL Comparable:
Projection: Second Line Center
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

47. Damon Severson: RH Defenceman
Height: 6'2" Weight: 200lbs
Born: August 7th, 1994
Kelowna Rockets (WHL): 56GP 7G 30A 37P, +6, 80PIM
NHL Comparable:
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here
  • TSN: TBD
  • CSS: TBD
  • ISS: TBD
  • THN: TBD

48. Daniil Zharkov: Left Winger
Height: 6'3" Weight: 200lbs
Born: February 6th, 1994
Belleville Bulls (OHL): 53GP 23G 13A 36P, -5, 25PIM
NHL Comparable:
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

49. Ville Pokka: RH Defenceman
Height: 5'11" Weight: 198lbs
Born: June 3rd, 1994
Karpat (SM-liiga): 35GP 0G 3A 3P, -3, 12PIM
NHL Comparable:
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

50. Dylan Blujus: RH Defenceman
Height: 6'3" Weight: 184lbs
Born: January 22nd, 1994
Brampton Battalion (OHL): 66GP 7G 27A 34P, +4, 38PIM
NHL Comparable:
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

51. Chris Driedger: RH Goaltender
Height: 6'2" Weight: 175lbs
Born: May 18th, 1994
Calgary Hitmen (WHL): 2.80GAA, 0.896S%
NHL Comparable:
Projection: Starting Goaltender
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

52. Tomas Hyka: Right Winger
Height: 5'11" Weight: 165lbs
Born: March 23rd, 1993
Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL): 50GP 20G 44A 66P, 30PIM
NHL Comparable:
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

53. Coda "Coca Coda" Gordon: Left Winger
Height: 6'2" Weight: 175lbs
Born: August 4th, 1994
Birthplace: Cochrane, AB
Swift Current Broncos (WHL): 66GP 30G 23A 53P, +2, 12PIM
NHL Comparable: Jason Spezza / Matt Moulson
Favourite Team: Calgary Flames
Quote:
The Skinny:
Although Coda didn't put up outstanding numbers at face value, once you do some digging it's actually pretty impressive. As a rookie on a team that didn't make the playoffs, he finished second on the team in both goals and points. It's also worth noting that The Swift Current Broncos also allowed 56 more goals than scored. Yet, he finished with a +2. He's a guy that doesn't jump out at you but continues to put up solid numbers on a weak team.

Gordon sees the ice very well and has silky smooth hands. Obviously his skating needs to take huge strides in order to be successful at the next level, but he is still young and that is something he can impove. One thing you can't teach is goal scoring and thats something that Coda does very well. He scored most of his 30 goals right in front of the net and does a good job battling with opposing defenders. He has decent size but needs to work on his physical side of the play as well.

Another thing that you can't help but take away from Gordon is his modesty. Despite putting up offensive numbers and being a game changer for the Broncos, he seems to keep a level head. That is, a head that allows him to see the ice well and helps contributing to his hockey sense. Despite having some huge weaknesses, Coda has a lot of tools that you can't teach. The kid has a great work ethic and plays a very sound two way game. I don't see him being talented enough to be a first round pick, but teams lacking goal scoring could take him early in the second. If he puts it all together someone will get a steal. Unfortunately, at this point he doesn't play physical enough to be a bottom 6 forward.

54. Brian Hart: Right Winger
Height: 6'2" Weight: 215lbs
Born: November 25th, 1993
Birthplace: Cumberland, ME
Phillips Exeter Academy (USHS): 27GP 29G 32A 61P
NHL Comparable:
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

55. Matia Marcantuoni: Left Winger
Height: 6'0" Weight: 196lbs
Born: Februrary 22nd, 1994
Kitchener Rangers (OHL): 24GP 9G 5A 14P, +2, 10PIM
NHL Comparable:
Projection: Top Nine Winger
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

56. Calle Andersson: RH Defenceman
Height: 6'1" Weight: 201lbs
Born: May 16th, 1994
Färjestad J20 (SuperElit): 49GP 12G 24A 36P, 56PIM
NHL Comparable:
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

57. Emil Lundberg: Left Winger
Height: 6'4" Weight: 209lbs
Born: September 17th, 1993
Södertälje (Allsvenskan): 51GP 6G 12A 18P, +1, 12PIM
NHL Comparable:
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

58. Seth Griffith: Right Winger
Height: 5'11" Weight: 180lbs
Born: January 4th, 1993
London Knights (OHL): 68GP 45G 40A 85P, +24, 49PIM
NHL Comparable:
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

59. ANDREAS ATHANASIOU??
Height: 6'5" Weight: 191lbs
Born: May 11th, 1994
Victoriaville, Tigres (QMJHL): 2.74GAA, 0.896S%
NHL Comparable:
Projection: Starting Goaltender
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

60. Patrick Sieloff: LH Defenceman
Height: 6'0" Weight: 196lbs
Born: May 15th, 1994
USNTDP (USHL): 22GP 0G 1A 1P, -1, 53PIM
NHL Comparable:
Projection: Shutdown Defenceman
Quote:
The Skinny:
Comments Here

HM: Travis Brown, Brett Kulak, Mark Jankowski, Dillon Fournier, Brian Cooper, Andrey Makarov, Anton Slepyshev, Jaynen Rissling

Last edited by McDoused: 04-04-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old
03-30-2012, 07:34 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory View Post
I understand most of you haven't seen Forsberg much except in wjc's and stats? Here is some highlights from him if you guys haven't seen. He will be a good one, I mean just look at his name

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hGI030D774
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
Hedman has lived up to #2, in what world? If Tampa were offered a do over they would take it in a heartbeat
I think he has shown good progression year over year he's already a legit 2nd pairing D at 21 and can log huge minutes. Tampa also just signed him to a 5 year extension I don't think they are too worried about the pick. Of the players behind him the only one I know I would take above is Evander Kane who I'm really high on. OEL is probably close but he's only shown what he can do this year and last year he was on the outside looking in when Hedman was having a great playoffs. Duchene hasn't shown as well of late and I would still take Hedman over Kulikov after those guys I don't think anyone else really deserves to be discussed as being a viable or better selection than him at this point. Doesn't sound like a horrible 2nd overall pick to me.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:21 PM
jebs

Well if you guys love Hedman, then there should be no problems with picking Murray.

Because the things people question in Murray are Hedmans biggest faults.. Offense potential & softness.

EDIT: Everyone thought jaybo was great in Florida too.. till he went to a team which we actually saw play often

Last edited by jebs: 03-30-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old
03-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Bangers

Hedman still goes #2 in that draft IMO. Duchene has regressed terribly (if you don't believe me, go to the Avs board), Kane is close, but I think Hedman wins in terms of potential and positional value, and Hedman has shown more than OEL to this point.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:59 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
Hedman still goes #2 in that draft IMO. Duchene has regressed terribly (if you don't believe me, go to the Avs board), Kane is close, but I think Hedman wins in terms of potential and positional value, and Hedman has shown more than OEL to this point.
Really depends on what team is picking in that spot.

Duchene has battled injuries this year and has struggled quite a bit, but his upside is just as high as Hedman, if not higher, and IMO he has already proven more over his career than Hedman has.

Last year Duchene was nearly a 70 point centre at 20 years old, on a team that was rather horrible. I would saying regressing terribly may be a bit harsh unless it carries into next year. The kid just has too much talent to fizzle out IMO, unless he keeps getting hurt.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
Well if you guys love Hedman, then there should be no problems with picking Murray.

Because the things people question in Murray are Hedmans biggest faults.. Offense potential & softness.

EDIT: Everyone thought jaybo was great in Florida too.. till he went to a team which we actually saw play often
Murray is actually who I want .

I really like Grigorenko as well from what I seen in the WJC I think his tool set would make a smooth transition to the NHL game, but given our past history with Russians and the murmurs in the media I am a little scared of taking him.

Old
03-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Can anyone tell me any more on Forsberg? How does he compare to a guy like Landeskog? Because IMO, a player like that might actually have the biggest impact for what we have already built.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:23 PM
McDoused

Forsberg and Landeskog are two completely different types of players. Forsberg is more of a finesse player. He has oodles of skill but still has elements of power in his game. He's hat to knock off the puck but he's not that gritty leader that Landeskog is. Is more of a Marian Hossa type of powerforward not a Landeskog type.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Forsberg and Landeskog are two completely different types of players. Forsberg is more of a finesse player. He has oodles of skill but still has elements of power in his game. He's hat to knock off the puck but he's not that gritty leader that Landeskog is. Is more of a Marian Hossa type of powerforward not a Landeskog type.

hahhahaha.

so what youre saying is hes prv?

Old
03-31-2012, 12:39 PM
OILFAN #81

So are people wanting Grigorenko or Murray at #2?

Old
03-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Pretty sure the Habs will be taking Grigorenko.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:47 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
hahhahaha.

so what youre saying is hes prv?
Not even close. Hes not as fast but way more skilled. He also has a much better shot, uses his skill to beat defenders and all around better with the puck.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
I'd take either, and would accept Galchenyuk if Stu was absolutely sold.

Old
03-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

We could use a Duncan Keith. Although that Malkin character isn't too shabby either.

Quote:
3. Ryan Murray, D, Everett Silvertips, WHL

2011-12: 46 games, 9 goals, 22 assists, 31 points, 31 penalty minutes

Comparison: Duncan Keith

Best asset: "Skating, passing."

Where do you need improvement: "Skating, shooting, vision and strength."

NHL Central Scouting: "I think Murray is more like a [Scott] Niedermayer; he just does everything under the radar and so smooth you hardly notice it," Central Scouting's B.J. MacDonald said. "His skating is probably the best in the [WHL], but you don't really notice that so much because you almost take it for granted he's been there for three years. He never gets out of position and I've never seen him lose a one-on-one battle. He's always, defensively, in the right spots. He just does everything so seamlessly that he reminds me of Niedermayer only because he does everything so well at such a high level and after a while, you don't even notice it."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=625180

Old
03-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
We could use a Duncan Keith.
Agreed. I wanted to comment on IATL's comparison in the last thread, but I'll have to do it in this one. Saying he is as physical as Tom Gilbert is likely 100% accurate, but also leads some people to think he'll be Tom Gilbert. You would have been just as accurate saying he's as physical as Erik Karlsson, Duncan Keith or Nik Lidstrom.

Old
03-31-2012, 04:22 PM
BoldMcNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Agreed. I wanted to comment on IATL's comparison in the last thread, but I'll have to do it in this one. Saying he is as physical as Tom Gilbert is likely 100% accurate, but also leads some people to think he'll be Tom Gilbert. You would have been just as accurate saying he's as physical as Erik Karlsson, Duncan Keith or Nik Lidstrom.
he's also fought three times in the WHL...once in each season.

I can't really remember Gilbert fighting three times over the past three years...but I suppose it is possible.

Old
03-31-2012, 05:30 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Not even close. Hes not as fast but way more skilled. He also has a much better shot, uses his skill to beat defenders and all around better with the puck.
You're also missing the fact Forsberg finishes all of his checks and is actually very physical in comparison to Paajarvi.

That being said, I still think PRV will figure it out and learn to drive the net hard night in night out. He won't ever be physical, but if he uses his body and drives hard then that should be good enough.

Old
03-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
I think he has shown good progression year over year he's already a legit 2nd pairing D at 21 and can log huge minutes. Tampa also just signed him to a 5 year extension I don't think they are too worried about the pick. Of the players behind him the only one I know I would take above is Evander Kane who I'm really high on. OEL is probably close but he's only shown what he can do this year and last year he was on the outside looking in when Hedman was having a great playoffs. Duchene hasn't shown as well of late and I would still take Hedman over Kulikov after those guys I don't think anyone else really deserves to be discussed as being a viable or better selection than him at this point. Doesn't sound like a horrible 2nd overall pick to me.
Dude is an OK d-man, nothing special.

Hemsky made him look completely stupid the last time we played them.

He was supposed to be the second coming, a lot of people were saying the Islanders might even want to take him over Tavares

I'd take Duchene (I think injuries have done Duchene in this season) or Kane over him any day of the week, Tampa would be a better team today if they had done that. You can find d-men as good as Hedman off the UFA market.

The only notable thing Hedman has really done in three years in the NHL is re-concuss Crosby. To have offensive numbers that low when you get oodles of PP time with Stamkos and St. Louis is mind boggling.

Last edited by Soundwave: 03-31-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old
03-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Forsberg plays in a league junior to SEL, he better be hard to knock off the puck in that league.

I just dont think he has what it takes to translate into the NHL. Even though they are not related, his name gives him some kind of recognition and I just dont think he is that great.

Old
03-31-2012, 05:57 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
It would be between Galchenyuk and Murray if it were me, i don't think that another perimeter player in Grigorenko is a good fit for this team.
I think that Stu probably values Murray the highest. I do think as i watched the team completely fold against physical teams like L.A. and Dallas that a sparkplug like Dumba might be a better fit than Murray although Murray will likely be the better overall player long term IMO.

Old
03-31-2012, 07:29 PM
rockinghockey

Galchenyuk would look really good on our team, size, grit, skill and plays hard. That is the type of player we need in our top 6.

Old
03-31-2012, 07:59 PM
SLURVE

If assuming we end up in the top 2, I would not take a dman. You tend to take the BPA but unless the dman is overwhelmingly head and shoulders above the rest, I would pick either Yakupov or Grigorenko. If we end up in the picks being 3-4-5, I would take a dman either (3) Murray, (4) Dumba or (5) with one of the forwards and/ or dman in Galchenyuk, Reilly or Faksa). Picking a dman in the top 2 this draft year is a gamble and the return on investment is not visible until year 2-3. We do need an experineced dman, I think we have enough forwards, upcoming minor leaguers and prospects that we can bundle a pkg for one. There is a limited UFA dmen available this summer and the biggest is Suter. Remember, in 2-4 years time, we may be well-stocked in dmen (Marincin, Gernat, Musil and Klefbom) of our own.

Old
03-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Looks like it could be a good night in the standings for us so far..

Toronto winning 3-1 against Buffalo at 2nd intermission
Minnesota tied with LA at 1st intermission
Montreal tied with Washington at 2nd intermission

Hopefully Minny and Monny can hang on.

Old
03-31-2012, 08:18 PM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Looks like it could be a good night in the standings for us so far..

Toronto winning 3-1 against Buffalo at 2nd intermission
Minnesota tied with LA at 1st intermission
Montreal tied with Washington at 2nd intermission

Hopefully Minny and Monny can hang on.
ya i am concerned too that Montreal, Toronto and Minny are tanking hard for a higher pick.

Closed Thread