HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Feschuk: Leaf fans can’t take it any more

Old
03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Feschuk: Leaf fans can’t take it any more

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...ke-it-any-more

Quote:
“Right now the fans are upset, and the fans should be upset. Because everyone’s upset. We’re upset,” Anselmi said.

Still, Anselmi expressed faith in Burke.

“You’ve got to stick with the plan and assess things and figure out where you are. Obviously there’s some holes in the team. So you’ve got to plug those holes. But you stick with the plan, don’t do anything rash and hopefully get it turned around,” Anselmi said. “Brian’s got lots of credibility. His track record speaks for itself. He and his whole management — no one saw this coming, obviously. But now they’ve got to step back and take stock. We believe in the plan, but obviously some parts of it haven’t come together.”

The COO was asked to offer his interpretation of Burke’s plan.

“The plan is to build through the draft. They’ve had three drafts.”

It was pointed out that the idea to build through the draft must be a new one for a franchise that traded its first-round picks in 2010 and 2011 for sniper Phil Kessel, forfeiting to Boston the rights to current star Tyler Seguin and future star Dougie Hamilton in the process.

“You can pick apart any piece of it. You can debate the Kessel trade. It’s not my job to sit here and assess,” Anselmi said. “You look at where we were four years ago with prospects in the system versus where we are today, we’ve taken a step forward. The Marlies are a better team. There are people in the system now that these guys believe are NHL players. Have we taken a step back in the last five weeks? Absolutely. But I also think you have to look at things from 30,000 feet and say it’s not just about this year. It’s about accumulating assets and developing those assets. And development takes time.”

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Good. Build from the draft... TRADE UP for McG, pleaseeeeeeeeee. Gaunce if he's available.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:19 AM
headwire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Good. Build from the draft... TRADE UP for McG, pleaseeeeeeeeee. Gaunce if he's available.
You're really high on Gaunce. I like what I've read about him too. Do you really think he'll go in the top 5?

headwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 505
Feschuk trying so hard to get Burke fired. He knows that when the Leafs are doing well, they're going to completely freeze him out for being unprofessional.

Thank god Anselmi has a brain though.

Guy Boucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwire View Post
You're really high on Gaunce. I like what I've read about him too. Do you really think he'll go in the top 5?
No way does Gaunce make the top 5. I'd be surprised if he's in the top 10.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwire View Post
Indeed I am. Big boy, who works hard, and can be a proven second line center. Not afraid to fight. He also has a great shot as well. I believe he will be a STEAL in the draft, surprised how high is in in the rankings.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:25 AM
kihei

vCash: 1617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Feschuk trying so hard to get Burke fired. He knows that when the Leafs are doing well, they're going to completely freeze him out for being unprofessional.
A sports reporter doing his job? How is that unprofessional? Or are you using Leafs management's definition of the term?

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

LOL @ build through the draft. Where was that mandate 3 years ago?

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
I see what you did there. What a clever rebuttal and witticism.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
A sports reporter doing his job? How is that unprofessional? Or are you using Leafs management's definition of the term?
Well, I guess if you consider underhanded sleaziness to be part of the job, then he's the consummate professional.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:32 AM
dougieg93
flip for filip

It's really impossible to build a team another way, teams are obviously unwilling to let go their top players go unless there is a big overpayment, and free agents are unwilling to sign until you have a solid crop of roster players. There is a small piece of relief that the Leafs are constantly focused on long term success, and taking a slow methodical pace of team building and developing it's young players.

The Marlies are so unbelievably stacked right now to think that the Leafs are an absolute failure.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieg93 View Post
The Marlies are so unbelievably stacked right now to think that the Leafs are an absolute failure.
Stacked with 2nd liners... Kadri, most likely has the potential to be on the first line.

What I like is guys like Ross/Broll who are feisty players and we'll give us more grit in the future.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:38 AM
david999

if the plan now is to build from the draft, why didn't Burke trade for those "1st round picks" he was offered at the trade deadline, (that he said he was offered) for the likes of Mcarthur, Franson, etc?

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:43 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Feschuk is merely auditioning for his place on the roster of finest birdcage-liner ever to be printed anywhere and make his child-hood dream come true of joining the crack writing team of the Toronto Sun

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:51 AM
dougieg93
flip for filip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Stacked with 2nd liners... Kadri, most likely has the potential to be on the first line.

What I like is guys like Ross/Broll who are feisty players and we'll give us more grit in the future.
I hope that will change this summer with having a top 5 pick. Also, even though they are 2nd-3rd liners, the fact we have a lot of them means we have a lot of tradeable material. The Kassian for Hodgson deal is a good example, where teams are willing to overpay for good tough players if they consider toughness an organization weakness.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
if the plan now is to build from the draft, why didn't Burke trade for those "1st round picks" he was offered at the trade deadline, (that he said he was offered) for the likes of Mcarthur, Franson, etc?
Do you want to build this team with low to mid 1st rounders in a weak draft????

Even worse do you want to give up our proven young NHLers to build a team with low to mid 1st rounders in a weak draft?????

Ever wonder why other teams were so interested in offering those picks so easily?????? It sure as hell wasn't to help us out!!

People idolize 1st rounders and think they're the answer yet don;t question whyother teams were so quick to offer them up?

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Morlu

Quote:
Who wouldn't have a good prospect pool through the draft after 7 bottom 10 finishes in a row....

Morlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Leafs must be the 1st team in NHL history building through the draft by actually trading away the most important draft picks in the process. Maybe Anselmi means Leafs are building through other teams drafts.

In Burke's 3 complete seasons (excluding the partial one) he has traded away the 2nd overall and 9th overall picks in consecutive drafts with only this years 1st rounder still surviving (for now !!) during his draft rebuild.

Burke claims he was offered 4 1st round picks for his players at the trade deadline and accepted none of them during his so called "draft rebuild".

Last edited by Mess: 03-30-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:04 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Leafs fans have had to put up with crappy reporters like Feschuk, Simmons and Cox for way too long. They are the definition of mediocrity and we should demand only the best. They need to be held accountable because Leafs fans are intelligent and need intelligent articles to read, not the same old recycled junk they put out day after day.

I'm going to start by calling Feschuk's mom to ask her why her son isn't a good reporter.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider

I'm along for the ride as I have been for two decades but I hope we get out of this tunnel some day.

L Corncrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
So you agree with him in calling and essentially harassing James Reimer's mom about his possible concussion that he may or may not have suffered?

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:08 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

leaf fans are stalking ACC

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:08 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Aside from the Kessel deal, the team is building through the draft and with prospects plucked from other teams (Deschamps, Ashton, Gardiner, Colborne).

The ideal 'build through the draft'? No. But there is building done through it. Burke has made 23 selections in three drafts (has six picks right now for the 2012 draft). JFJ made 26 picks in four drafts.

03-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Burke has already traded away a 2nd (Liles), a 3rd, and 4th (Steckel) from the 2012 draft upcoming draft, and didn't replenish any of them at the trade deadline this year when given ample opportunity as he claims. You would think a team building through the draft wouldn't be so quick to trade away draft picks for vets.

Technically, I suppose acquiring Kessel could be considered building through the draft by MLSE definition, because he was in fact selected in an entry draft originally, ditto for Lupul and Phaneuf etc. Even the UFAs Connolly, Armstrong, Komisarek etc were all former 1st round picks from previous entry drafts that now are occupying Leaf roster spots.

So Burke is building his team through the draft, just other teams drafts is all, deploying 29 other teams scouting staffs as his eyes and ears.

If Burke trades this years 1st rounder for Rick Nash, that too could be seen as building through the draft as Nash went 1st overall in his draft year. So instead of investing in a top 5 in 2012, he is doing it similarly from 2002 instead only accelerating the process.

What Feschuk is doing is exposing Burke's (even MLSE) original failed accelerated rebuild plan, and now questioning the retreat and surrender draft rebuild that Leafs fell into backwards as a result. Burke sets out to make the playoffs each season and falls into the bottom 10 instead and then calls it "draft rebuild strategy".

What is sad it that it took Burke trading away 2 X top 10 picks, and adding a 30+ goal scorer each year in order to finish in the bottom 5 this year. You would think most GMs could end up in the bottom 5 of the draft, without needing to a 30 goal top 10 league scorer to accomplish that.!!!

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

You guys should draft Radek Faksa with your pick, which I assume will be 6th overall.

He's got skill and grit, exactly what you need.

Being an oiler fan I've been looking at all these prospects a lot, he's one guy I'd love on the Oil but I don't think he's worth the 2nd overall, so he would be a great snag at around where you're picking.

Just my thought.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote