HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

When Dion Jumped Brayden

Old
03-31-2012, 03:26 PM
rumman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWagz View Post
then schenn should have ripped him right back
he's supposed to be the captain
Schenn might suck this year, but at 1/2 the price of Dion that's a deal I can live with

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:28 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
the most misunderstood stat in hockey and just as ridiculous as the +/- stat in measuring a players worth

If a player clears a puck out of the zone to relieve pressure and an opposing player chases it down it results in a T/O and the player who chases it down gets a T/A

Dmen who play lots of minutes are generally going to have high T/O #'s, while we all want to see the completed pass getting out of the zone sometimes the open man just isn't there or there's no lane
Fair enough

binop7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:35 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McKegg View Post
Shea Weber
GP 74
Hits 172
Blocks 130
Missed shots 98
Giveaways 54
Shooting % 7.7

Both players play a similar play style with similar stats, yet Weber is on a much more defensive oriented team and has a goalie he can rely on.Swap players and you are likely screaming for Webers' head.

I'm not sure most of the people on these boards have played defense or even hockey for that matter.. but if you cannot trust your goalie or system... your game changes around that.

Phaneuf has made alot of mistakes and is overpaid, and maybe shouldn't be Captain(up for debate as no-one here is in the room), but he is far from a bad player.
Weber is 10x the player Phaneuf is. The shooting percentage alone is really high for a D-man. Weber actually scares people on the ice, where as Phaneuf does what he does. I've played hockey and still play hockey, but that shouldn't have a difference on anyone's opinion. Put Rinne on this team and the Leafs still lose 7-1 on Thursday, there's more problems here than just the goalie, the way this team is assembled from the soft as hell 1st line, to the frightingly overpaid 3rd line is horrible. Burke has a real tough job from here on out.

Old
03-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
Put Rinne on this team and the Leafs still lose 7-1 on Thursday, there's more problems here than just the goalie, the way this team is assembled from the soft as hell 1st line, to the frightingly overpaid 3rd line is horrible. Burke has a real tough job from here on out.
I beg to differ. Confidence in your goalie makes the whole team better, take risks rather than sit back and play as if a single mistake will cost you. We saw that in last years run with Reimer in net.

Pyromaniac3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:03 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
I beg to differ. Confidence in your goalie makes the whole team better, take risks rather than sit back and play as if a single mistake will cost you. We saw that in last years run with Reimer in net.
I get that, but Weber is in a different class than Phaneuf. Maybe if Phaneuf was on Nashville he'd be a better player, but I just don't see that same high end talent I see with Weber. Phaneuf isn't a terrible player by any means, but he'd be better served playing lesser minutes.

edit: I'll say this about Phaneuf. He lacks consistency, he can shut down one of the best offensive threats in the game in Malkin, then get dangled by Lars Eller.

Last edited by binop7: 03-31-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old
04-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

Well as you saw today Brayden is no saint. Crosby skating to the bench, schenn cross checks him in the back, crosby falls, schenn talks crap from the bench. Then you got goofs in here and the media whining because Dion pushed him? I know it's after the fact but still wanted to mention it. Brayden is not a pansy so why shouldn't he be fair game? I hope Dion pummels him next time they roll into town.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Kamal007
God Level

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
Well as you saw today Brayden is no saint. Crosby skating to the bench, schenn cross checks him in the back, crosby falls, schenn talks crap from the bench. Then you got goofs in here and the media whining because Dion pushed him? I know it's after the fact but still wanted to mention it. Brayden is not a pansy so why shouldn't he be fair game? I hope Dion pummels him next time they roll into town.
Exactly. Dirty play by Schenn on Sid. Got what he deserved from Asham.

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
I get that, but Weber is in a different class than Phaneuf. Maybe if Phaneuf was on Nashville he'd be a better player, but I just don't see that same high end talent I see with Weber. Phaneuf isn't a terrible player by any means, but he'd be better served playing lesser minutes.
I was never saying Phaneuf is as good as Weber. I was just replying to the Rinne comment.

Pyromaniac3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Leafs12232

Brady positions himself well here... he claims there is a rift involving Phaneuf and Schenn, uses a recent instance of when the Leafs played Philly as an example, and then says one of the two will be traded... telling us to 'connect the dots'

Hell, Schenn is being traded, with or without any rift. All the rumors have been there for a reason, he's an asset that has been shopped and/or asked about frequently.

Now, when Schenn does get dealt, Brady can claim 'oh look, i knew it all, RIFT! RIFT!'

When it actuality, all that happened is Phaneuf grabbed someone, like he has many times before, and Luke will be traded, like he has rumored to be for 18 months.

Brady is an idiot.

Leafs12232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:27 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Weber is 10x the player Phaneuf is. The shooting percentage alone is really high for a D-man. Weber actually scares people on the ice, where as Phaneuf does what he does. I've played hockey and still play hockey, but that shouldn't have a difference on anyone's opinion. Put Rinne on this team and the Leafs still lose 7-1 on Thursday, there's more problems here than just the goalie, the way this team is assembled from the soft as hell 1st line, to the frightingly overpaid 3rd line is horrible. Burke has a real tough job from here on out.
Put Rinne on this team and no way does it lose 7-1. In fact it's in the playoffs. Your delusional if you think otherwise.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Put Rinne on this team and no way does it lose 7-1. In fact it's in the playoffs. Your delusional if you think otherwise.
While I agree that Rinne is much better goalie than any we have had for quite some time, he plays in a great system with players that execute it well.

He would not be as well thought of if he was the Leafs goalie.

Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Just discovered a new side of Brayden Schenn today. Kid needs more Kovalchuk stuff (sigh, only if Crosby could be like Kovalchuk, even Luke would be worried brother)

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelstache View Post
if you want to show emotion, show it when it matters, go fight/rough up Hartnell or Simmonds when it counted, not some 20 year old kid when the score is 7-1.
If the 20 year old is crashing the net and running the goalie then he deserves what he gets. Just as if he was a 25-30-35 year old. What does Dion have to gain from dropping the gloves with Hartnell or Simmonds because he's protecting his goalie seriously?

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:24 PM
BayStBully

If he didn't do anything to Brayden (after dummying him against the boards) he would be called out. And now he's called out for standing up for himself after the kid slashes him. Gotta love bipolar nation.

BayStBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:30 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanon Don View Post
If he didn't do anything to Brayden (after dummying him against the boards) he would be called out. And now he's called out for standing up for himself after the kid slashes him. Gotta love bipolar nation.
WTF are you talking about . People who are defending DP for going after Schenn are the worst type of homers . It was a punk move by DP going after Schenn to take out his frustration during a blowout . Dion had all game to try to spark the team but choose to wait until the game was done to go after a much smaller player and a rookie to boot .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
WTF are you talking about . People who are defending DP for going after Schenn are the worst type of homers . It was a punk move by DP going after Schenn to take out his frustration during a blowout . Dion had all game to try to spark the team but choose to wait until the game was done to go after a much smaller player and a rookie to boot .
Lol I didn't think it was something that was going on all game. I was under the understanding it was off a play the Dion reacted too, PS Dion should not be out there fighting every other guy to try and spark the team. That's what Brown, and Rosehill are here for not our captain.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:35 PM
BayStBully

Quote:
Settle down little man. Everythings going to be okay. You don't have to unleash your emotions on Dion Phaneuf thru a message board. There's other ways. Scream in a pillow or something.

BayStBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:55 PM
hockeywiz542

Dion Phaneuf and Luke Schenn are not getting along with each other

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/31...of-burkes-mess

Quote:
Tough spot for agent Don Meehan, who represents Leafs captain Phaneuf and fellow defenceman Luke Schenn ó the two arenít getting along.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Crabovski*

Uh Oh Spaghetti Ohs

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:57 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanon Don View Post
Settle down little man. Everythings going to be okay. You don't have to unleash your emotions on Dion Phaneuf thru a message board. There's other ways. Scream in a pillow or something.
Wow , this is how you respond when someone calls you out for a idiotic post .

If Phaneuf wants to be a leader then he should act with a little class . Going after a smaller rookie when the games already been decided shows the lack of character the guys has . If the situation was reversed you'd be screaming bloody murder but since the punk move was made by a leaf you defend it .

Old
04-01-2012, 08:06 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Wow , this is how you respond when someone calls you out for a idiotic post .

If Phaneuf wants to be a leader then he should act with a little class . Going after a smaller rookie when the games already been decided shows the lack of character the guys has . If the situation was reversed you'd be screaming bloody murder but since the punk move was made by a leaf you defend it .
Interestingly, the NHL award for leadership is named after a guy who made a career out of picking on smaller people, hitting them from behind or using elbows and sticks. I don't know that "class" enters into it.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:13 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Interestingly, the NHL award for leadership is named after a guy who made a career out of picking on smaller people, hitting them from behind or using elbows and sticks. I don't know that "class" enters into it.
And your point is what ?

Do you want guys Lucic filling in Kessel , or better yet every team can fill there rosters with goons and they target the other teams star players . Would this type of hockey make you happy ?

Old
04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
And your point is what ?

Do you want guys Lucic filling in Kessel , or better yet every team can fill there rosters with goons and they target the other teams star players . Would this type of hockey make you happy ?
My point is that "class" and "leadership" aren't two mythically linked things as you would purport them to be. No shortage of captains who were far from classy. Why hold Dion to a standard most everyone else isn't held to?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:44 PM
ihlmvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
My point is that "class" and "leadership" aren't two mythically linked things as you would purport them to be. No shortage of captains who were far from classy. Why hold Dion to a standard most everyone else isn't held to?
He has neither.

ihlmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Turk Broda

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguru View Post
i also listened to this on the radio and couldn't believe what a ***** talker this guy is.
while watching the altercation on tv i could see dion mouth to schenn something like "what are you doing idiot, look at the scoreboard," as he was digging for a semi-loose puck near the leafs goaltender with the game already out of hand.
any veteran d-man would say something similar to a young kid playing super hard in a blow-out.
This. And pretty much every other poster who is calling Greg Brady a goof. I actually listen to him and Jim Lang in the morning (can't stand the TSN radio morning show), but the stuff he says about the Leafs is complete non-sense and 'conjecture' to steal a word he often uses.

Turk Broda is offline   Reply With Quote