HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Kings 4 Oilers 1

Old
03-31-2012, 01:22 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Renney: "They were heavier, stronger and more determined."

Yep. This is the type of comment a departing coach makes in regards to the lineup granted him on his way out the exit.

A subtle calling out of the roster available to him?

Why mention the bolded? A coach would expect his team to try to rally and overcome that.

But its like a realistic admission of lack of that attribute in the org.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:23 AM
SilverHaireDevil

I said a Keith Style reaction not a chickenwing elbow expert.

Some ****ing pushback, some balls, some ****ing heart.

not the turn the other cheek crap that passes as physical play around here.

And yeah maybe a touch of the crazy eyes to make other teams think twice about messing with us.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:24 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
bahh he only needs half of a 8 point game.

He did just about score a beauty tonight, Quick robbed him.
He had such a piss poor "Not in the face! Not in the face!" type game that I totally forgot about that dangle.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:26 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Yep. This is the type of comment a departing coach makes in regards to the lineup granted him on his way out the exit.

Why mention the bolded? A coach would expect his team to try to rally and overcome that.

I'm no Renney fan but he seems to be very frustrated about the players available to him (outside of the kids and a select few) and he hasn't been shy about vocalizing it over the past month.

He knows that he's taking the fall and he isn't happy about it. Nor should he be. If he's gone then Tambellini should be gone as well.

Old
03-31-2012, 01:26 AM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Quote:
I just never get that sense with either. With a guy like Hordichuk you know he'll go to town for you and pays attention to that kind of thing. He responds and serves notice when he see's **** going on. Souray would as well.

imo Eager and Sutton are more the guys that go ballistic when they are personall pissed off and the mood suits them. That ain't protection, its even selfish.

Eager is a loser that no team should want part of. I'm sure quite a few Oilers recognize all the losers on this club.
Sutton did take a boarding call on Brown IIRC, have to think that had something to do with the Smid hit.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:28 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I still think and mark my words -- MPS would produce if he ever got a chance to play with RNH and Eberle.

Renney is stupid for force feeding him with Belanger all year long.
Agreed. Although I think most players would produce at a 60+ point clip if dumped on a line with those two.

It just seems like we are squandering assets by not trying to develop MPS as a top6 player. If we never give him time with legitimate top6 guys, it's gonna be very hard for him to develop into a top6 guy.

5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:29 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
He had such a piss poor "Not in the face! Not in the face!" type game that I totally forgot about that dangle.
Made a couple good passes as well that almost resulted in something but Quick was very good.

Still, I expect Gagner to create a handful of chances a night because most of the plays he's involved in don't end up with a goal. A guy like Gagner has to create multiple chances each night or theres very little production.

Games like tonight is what gets him frustrated. Not always a good think in his game. Now he has to hit something, fight, end up with stitches, and score a hat trick in the final game of the season.

Old
03-31-2012, 01:29 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Renney finally provides a postgame comment that doesn't make me want to smash my keyboard.

Talk to your GM about that... oh, wait... you're not going to be back next year while Tambi gets a pass.
Shed no tears for Renney. He never used what he did have, so why in the world would you go out and get him some more of something he didnt use in the first place?

Renney can gtfo.

Hopefully the rest of the he man woman hater club gets the boot too, but we will have to take what we can get.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:34 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I'm no Renney fan but he seems to be very frustrated about the players available to him (outside of the kids and a select few) and he hasn't been shy about vocalizing it over the past month.

He knows that he's taking the fall and he isn't happy about it. Nor should he be. If he's gone then Tambellini should be gone as well.
Yeah, its weird. Renney is a good coach with a reasonably good resume. Astute, smart, understands the game well.

Tambo always seems slow, doesn't seem to think or make decisions well, and has no real quality background of any sort. Here or elsewhere. Yet because of his position and hierarchy he doesn't take the fall.

I'll support the notion expressed by many that Tambo was Lowe's perfect fallguy plant.

Lowe abandons direct management during the horrible tank years, signs an idiot to grin and bear the tough years, and then on the cusp of change will come back into the fold and manage the team when prospects are better...

I have nightmares.

Old
03-31-2012, 01:36 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Sutton did take a boarding call on Brown IIRC, have to think that had something to do with the Smid hit.
I must've missed that one. I Was Barbecuing and watching game tonight. At least something was good.

Old
03-31-2012, 01:36 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Every team has figured it out - shut down the kid line and you have no fear dealing with the 2nd/3rd line...
Well hopefully Hemsky can rebound from this season, because we desperately need a source of secondary scoring.

Quote:
Renney finally provides a postgame comment that doesn't make me want to smash my keyboard.

Talk to your GM about that... oh, wait... you're not going to be back next year while Tambi gets a pass.
He's been a lot more vocal after TDD in terms of calling our players out. And rightfully he should. In year 3 of the 'official rebuild', we've still got efforts like tonight. That isn't acceptable. Effort is the last thing we should be lacking, players on this team should be playing to be able to represent the Oilers next year. Not to grind these last 5 games out to go get ready for golf season.

It sucks for Renney in some ways though, he knows he's a goner and I honestly think the frustration is bubbling to the surface now. He's not completely faultless for not getting the most out of what he had.

03-31-2012, 01:37 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I shed a lone tear for Renney's erm, plight but I quickly wiped it away. He can most certainly gtfo but the thought of Smilin' Tambi sticking around pisses me off.

Watch the Oilers hire Marc Crawford. The Canucks Alumni Country Club continues.

Quote:
Made a couple good passes as well that almost resulted in something but Quick was very good.

Still, I expect Gagner to create a handful of chances a night because most of the plays he's involved in don't end up with a goal. A guy like Gagner has to create multiple chances each night or theres very little production.

Games like tonight is what gets him frustrated. Not always a good think in his game. Now he has to hit something, fight, end up with stitches, and score a hat trick in the final game of the season.
Wouldn't it be nice to have some established, big, strong wingers that can actually produce riding shotgun with guys like Gagner and Nuge? What a concept.

Old
03-31-2012, 01:45 AM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
I said a Keith Style reaction not a chickenwing elbow expert.

Some ****ing pushback, some balls, some ****ing heart.

not the turn the other cheek crap that passes as physical play around here.

And yeah maybe a touch of the crazy eyes to make other teams think twice about messing with us.
Needed a Moreau type play tonight on Brown.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:48 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
I must've missed that one. I Was Barbecuing and watching game tonight. At least something was good.
It was Brown though, so the impact was probably embellished.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:59 AM
Asher

Quote:
I shed a lone tear for Renney's erm, plight but I quickly wiped it away. He can most certainly gtfo but the thought of Smilin' Tambi sticking around pisses me off.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some established, big, strong wingers that can actually produce riding shotgun with guys like Gagner and Nuge? What a concept.
Hiring Crawford might be enough to send me into "fan hibernation," if you know what i mean.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:04 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Hiring Crawford might be enough to send me into "fan hibernation," if you know what i mean.
Eight years of Mactavish was bearable but Marc Crawford would be the tipping point?

He wouldnt be my choice either, but there's a lot more legitimate reasons to take a fancation than that imo.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:21 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Eight years of Mactavish was bearable but Marc Crawford would be the tipping point?

He wouldnt be my choice either, but there's a lot more legitimate reasons to take a fancation than that imo.
I suppose I got lulled into accepting MacT, especially back when the economics of the game made it unreasonable to develop high expectations. Things would be different in the here and now. And yeah, they could do worse (Bucky). I just have hated Crawford with a passion for many years and also believe he got overrated by many after winning a Cup with a stacked Avs team.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:30 AM
Ogopogo*

I was at the game tonight, as well as the game on Wednesday and the effort was piss poor for the most part in both games. RNH had an epic shift where he laid a nice hit, took a hit then created some chances and almost scored. Sutton played some decent physical hockey and Potter had one great shift where he really gave Dustin Brown a rough ride. Gagner had one nice rush and Eberle created a chance or two but not too much else stood out in a positive way. I hear Renney in post game interviews saying over and over again how we didn't compete, we didn't come to play, the other team wanted it more...etc.

Why doesn't this change? Is Renney not doing his job or do we just have a half a team of POS? How can a professional just not show up on a regular basis? Once in a while, sure. But, after Wednesday, how can you come back Friday and look even worse?

I love the desire of a guy like Taylor Hall. It's too bad his desire gets him injured so often because, his intensity and competitiveness is in far too short supply around here.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:44 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:

I noticed Renney's comment tonight too, Replacement. He's clearly feeling the pressure of potentially losing his job. The writing is on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I suppose I got lulled into accepting MacT, especially back when the economics of the game made it unreasonable to develop high expectations. Things would be different in the here and now. And yeah, they could do worse (Bucky). I just have hated Crawford with a passion for many years and also believe he got overrated by many after winning a Cup with a stacked Avs team.
Despite the ire of many fans, I liked MacT as coach; he was a great quote, and I felt like he made the most of his line up. He obviously wasn't the problem with the team, and it's interesting to note that since his departure, our team has finished dead last in the league and is currently sitting 29th. Currently, I accept Renney as coach as well, but Todd Nelson might not be a poor choice for his replacement. If that happens, however, I think Jeff Gorton from the Rangers organization should be approached for replacing Tambellini as GM of the Oil.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:46 AM
Soundwave

Quote:

You can say what you want but for this group Crawford would be a better coach than Renney.

Like the other day you were looking at Dallas and saying "isn't Nieuwendyk great" ... really Crawford was the coach behind the bench for Jamie Benn's rookie year and got 22 goals/41 points out of him as a rookie 2nd round draft pick. That probably set the stage for Benn to have a good career. When's the last time that happened in Edmonton?

Kopitar's rookie year was under Crawford too, and Kopitar shocked a lot of people with his huge rookie numbers. Now maybe this is all coincidence ... but I don't think so.

Brad Richards' offensive career rebounded big time in Dallas under Crawford. He turned Naslund/Bertuzzi into superstars. Sakic had his best years under Crawford.

Say what you want ... but this dude seems to be pretty decent at getting production out of the players and they don't just have to be no.1 overall picks. If you give him talent, he seems pretty good at squeezing that out.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 05:43 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
0 0 0 0 -1 0 0 18:27

Ladies and gentlemen, the captain of your Edmonton Oilers! Shawwwwwn Horcoff!

Big shock. We could not go a page without bashing horcoff

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:13 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
Big shock. We could not go a page without bashing horcoff
Maybe he should step up his game then?

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:46 AM
blueracer17

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Maybe he should step up his game then?
I think Horcroff tries to step up his game at times, but it just isn't there anymore. He is either burned out (due to injuries?) or doesn't care anymore (or both). As I watched the game last night I couldn't help but think the vets have tee-times they are very much looking forward to.

blueracer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:52 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Shed no tears for Renney. He never used what he did have, so why in the world would you go out and get him some more of something he didnt use in the first place?

Renney can gtfo.

Hopefully the rest of the he man woman hater club gets the boot too, but we will have to take what we can get.
Agreed, just like the MacT era any toughness that we do have has no idea when and where they can flex it because if you want true toughness you have to live with the odd 5 minute major in a close game and not blast the guy for being 'selfish'

A few of us have been saying for years that this team is a joke on that front whether they have true tough guys or not. The Islanders had the right idea last year. Tired of getting bullied? Call up and sign up the toughness nastiest goons in pro hockey and let him kick the hell out of your rival. This year the islander sweep the pens in a back to back....hmmmm

We'll also get to hear about all the 'bad luck' we have with injuries for years on end when half the injuries we get are bad luck and the other half are preventable.

Team toughess indeed.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:55 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueracer17 View Post
I think Horcroff tries to step up his game at times, but it just isn't there anymore. He is either burned out (due to injuries?) or doesn't care anymore (or both). As I watched the game last night I couldn't help but think the vets have tee-times they are very much looking forward to.
And this is our captain that the team and media continues to protect probably the worst player on the team on a consistent basis.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote