HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Rookies in NHL that disappointed you

Old
04-01-2012, 09:32 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
For the Habs I'd say Aaron Palushaj a former 2nd round pick in '07 by the blues. Granted he's been much better of late, getting 4 points in his last 9 games, but before that he had 1 pt in 26 games and looked overmatched and out of place. Palushaj has been very good at every level up to the NHL, he's been a standout player in the USHL, NCAA and AHL (he was our best scorer in Hamilton this year until the recall yo-yo started).

I wasn't expecting a ton of points but my concern was how bad he looked and how ineffective he was at producing any offense since he's an offensive player but lately seems to be playing with more confidence so hopefully he can carry it over to next season where I assume he will get his first full season in the NHL since he has to clear waivers to play in the AHL after this year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:58 AM
viach

1.Niederreiter
2.Schenn
3.Connolly
4.Johansen
5.Kassian

viach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:13 AM
rick3652

Quote:
Originally Posted by viach View Post
1.Niederreiter
2.Schenn
3.Connolly
4.Johansen
5.Kassian
1 agree
2 he is playing good now. if he continues playing like that in the playoffs Philly will be happy.
3. Never like him think he is over rated
4 Same as 3
5. He is doing what he was drafted for. Van traded for him to help against Boston in the finals if they get there. They needed what he brings toughest 3 line player.

rick3652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
I expected 60 points, 250 hits, 25 AVG/TOI, Calder Trophy, and Norris. I should have told you that in my original post.
Well, those are ridiculous expectations.

Quote:
Here's my original post:

If people read closely they would understand that I didn't expect him to do much but that he had a big role to fill and he failed miserably.
What does that even mean? Larsson was not expected to step in and become the Devils' #1 right away, he didn't have a big role to fill. I think most of us understood that it would be a learning process.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:53 AM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

Quote:
Here's my original post:

If people read closely they would understand that I didn't expect him to do much but that he had a big role to fill and he failed miserably.
Except he didn't have a big role to fill. Lou is not that stupid that he expects a rookie to step in and be a number one defenseman. Please just take the sarcasm route and leave.

The Great Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:21 AM
voxel

It's all about expectations.

Both Schenn and Hodgson are within mine. I pegged both as 2C - both smart players without the elite athletic skills and thus will struggle at times in the NHL.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:04 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Well, those are ridiculous expectations.

What does that even mean? Larsson was not expected to step in and become the Devils' #1 right away, he didn't have a big role to fill. I think most of us understood that it would be a learning process.
I'm not really sure what to make of that dude, some really bizarre responses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
I too think that Landeskog didn't quite meet the expectations.
I'm pretty sure this guy is just trolling with his 8 posts as well..

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:12 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Here's my original post:

What does this even mean? I can't wrap my head around this post.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Zamuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
So from 0,5 PPG in Elitserien to 0.5 PPG in the NHL in his rookie season? Those expectations are quite high I would say.
Not really when looking overall all seasons, he has not developed since his rookie season.

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:58 PM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamuz View Post
Not really when looking overall all seasons, he has not developed since his rookie season.
Not many would agree with that. Hedman is doing just fine, his point totals are not terrible considering the lack of PP-time. His defensive game is much better today. His point totals will rocket up when he gets the chance to play with Stamkos on the PP. The thread is also about rookie dissapointments this year so Im not sure why you brought up Hedman in the first place.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
I expected R. Johansen to be at the top of the calder race. Hopefully he doesn't become another CBJ 1st that doesn't work out.

How Adam fell off to such a high degree was mind-boggling too.
Started off hot playing with Vanek and Pominville, a bit lazy on the backcheck but Pominville helped carry the defensive load, started to go cold and got moved between 2nd and 3rd lines. Wasn't producing enough. AHL time.

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Zamuz

Quote:
Not many would agree with that. Hedman is doing just fine, his point totals are not terrible considering the lack of PP-time. His defensive game is much better today. His point totals will rocket up when he gets the chance to play with Stamkos on the PP. The thread is also about rookie dissapointments this year so Im not sure why you brought up Hedman in the first place.
Because no one told that it's this season only. Sure look back and find a sentence stating that only this season.

And lack of PP time? because he is not good enough.

Old
04-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Well Y ****ed up when he picked Connolly he could have had Fowler. Think about a Fowler/Aulie pairing for years to come..

Anyway rookies are rookies for a reason some take longer to develop others don't.

Blaming Niederreiter for being up when he should clearly play in the AHL is not fair.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Medium Rare*

What about Tim Erixon in New York? After all he did to get traded to the Rangers, then he couldn't even stick through the year.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Stepan Glass
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
What about Tim Erixon in New York? After all he did to get traded to the Rangers, then he couldn't even stick through the year.
Oh hai there bitter Flames fan, u still mad? Erixon would have definitely stuck on your team, but it's a bit different when you're in first place.

Nobody could have predicted the monster years we've had from our young defensemen. Erixon has looked just fine in his callups and is spending most of the year exactly where he will benefit most from developing - the AHL.

3 years after being drafted Ryan McDonagh got called up to the NYR midway through the 2010-11 season and never looked back. Erixon is following the same development path, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him called up midway through next season, or start with the team in October, and never see the AHL again.

Last edited by Stepan Glass: 04-02-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Stepan Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:40 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

If you would have asked this 10 games ago, for Schenn I would agreed. But for the past 5-10 games, Schenn has been one of the main reasons Danny Briere has gotten back on track. Schenn has been VERY good these past games, and honestly if he played like this in the beginning (without getting hurt) he'd probably be on Calder talks.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Kassian is a first-year pro. The expectations seem a bit out of whack -- the kid has had the ups and downs you would expect out of any first year pro, particularly one who likely should still be in the AHL.

Luke Adam... tore it up (with Kassian) at Traverse City, clicked early in camp with Vanek and Pominville due to Hecht's injury, and came out of the gate strong. And then he stopped moving his feet. It's not like this kid glides out there to begin with, so a heavy-footed skater who's not even moving those lead feet is going to be out of position... and he was. Defensively, the lack of effort on the backcheck was what got him the hook from the top line. And there wasn't much effort on other lines either, so he was basically a big body, playing limited, ineffective minutes rather than going straight back down to the AHL to re-establish himself. The team bungled that one -- he's not a 4th liner and provides no energy. He should've been sent down around Christmas and have his roster spot taken by any of a number of available waiver claims. Instead, it was nearly 6 weeks later and he's still not producing at the AHL level -- his confidence appears shattered.

04-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
I expected a bit more goalscoring from Matt Frattin, but that's not to say I'm not ready to give up on him.

Last edited by Leafidelity: 04-02-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:52 AM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Because no one told that it's this season only. Sure look back and find a sentence stating that only this season.

And lack of PP time? because he is not good enough.
Title: Rookies in NHL that disappointed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
In regard to Rundbald and Niederretier Thread. Which this season prospects disappointed you most?
The title sets the first criteria, the description gives you the second. He could definitely run the PP on most teams and you wont find many (any?) 21 year old D as solid as him defensively. He is in time going to get more responsibility on the PP and his point totals will go up. This is not what the thread is about though so lets just leave it and read the thread description closer next time.

Old
04-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglepride View Post
Well Y ****ed up when he picked Connolly he could have had Fowler. Think about a Fowler/Aulie pairing for years to come..

Anyway rookies are rookies for a reason some take longer to develop others don't.

Blaming Niederreiter for being up when he should clearly play in the AHL is not fair.
A lot of teams messed up with Fowler. Which seems so ridiculous considering how good he looked prior to the draft, and how obvious it was how good he was. And yet, teams still avoided him. It was bizarre.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrichsized View Post
Oh hai there bitter Flames fan, u still mad? Erixon would have definitely stuck on your team, but it's a bit different when you're in first place.

Nobody could have predicted the monster years we've had from our young defensemen. Erixon has looked just fine in his callups and is spending most of the year exactly where he will benefit most from developing - the AHL.

3 years after being drafted Ryan McDonagh got called up to the NYR midway through the 2010-11 season and never looked back. Erixon is following the same development path, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him called up midway through next season, or start with the team in October, and never see the AHL again.
Funny that Erixon didn't sign with the Flames because he said he wasn't going to get a fair chance to play. And yet he could have possibly made our team out of training camp, and would have definitely been up with all the injuries.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Hutzler

Craig Smith and Luke Adam both started out great and then just dropped so I guess that is a bit of a disappointment.

I expected Ryan Johansen to put up a few more points this season.

But the biggest disappointment to me, has to be Brett Connolly.

Hutzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Zamuz

Quote:
Title: Rookies in NHL that disappointed you.
Then what were NHL first timers last year? or before? Rookies also if you ask me.

Rookie who disappointed you can be also Patrik Stefan. Nobody stated that it's only this season.

Old
04-02-2012, 11:56 AM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Then what were NHL first timers last year? or before? Rookies also if you ask me.

Rookie who disappointed you can be also Patrik Stefan. Nobody stated that it's only this season.
Its a good idea to read more than just the first sentence of a post.

Thread description:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
In regard to Rundbald and Niederretier Thread. Which this season prospects disappointed you most?
Hedman is hardly a rookie or a prospect this season.

Old
04-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Zamuz

Quote:
Its a good idea to read more than just the first sentence of a post.

Thread description:

Hedman is hardly a rookie or a prospect this season.
edited, wasn't there before