HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/31/12 - 7PM ET - French Fries vs Freedom Fries

Old
04-02-2012, 12:25 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I actually think we had the horses on D in that Rags / Pitt year. We just didnt have depth to overcome the crippling injuries. Our offense was the team. They carried the team. A marginal D was adequate to do severe damage, and damage we did.

We had vets on D. Poti, Pothier, Erskine. SMo was our best Dman for years here. Juice even held his own in those playoffs. That doesnt include Green, our Norris runner. We were not inexperienced by any stretch like now.

We just couldn't overcome the near crippling injuries to Green Poti SMo and Erskine. They got damaged, Semin too, and we were done.

Through all that, Varly still got us to game 7 in round 2.

We were close. We needed to roll the dice and use the healthy D much more / call up depth - Sami or Alzner perhaps, and go back to our number 1 G. BB lost confidence in Theo but I thought he deserved another shot.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-02-2012 at 12:50 PM.
RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:36 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
those 3 teams have something in common that the caps teams of the past 4 or 5 years havent even sniffed.
A Conference championship? Or have the Flyers won the cup in the last decade and I've been all coma'd out?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Phoenix was built to be a trapping team. The Caps..not so much. GMGM built this team to be a high flying attacking team..not one that sits back and waits for the other team to make a mistake.
McPhee showed with the Hunter hire that he doesn't really know what he wants. Hunter has brought nothing to the table in accentuating those strengths. He's as risk-averse as any coach, all the while not focusing enough on the fundamentals that underline any sort of attacking style. At least with Tippett you'd get a track record of strong execution and teams that are better than the sum of their parts. Just upping their execution level will open them up to be a far more dynamic team. It's also an open question exactly what sort of style Tippett would bring with him as I'm not so sure he's a fundamentalist trapper.

Teams win by attacking, yes, but there are many ways in going about doing that. I don't really care about high-flying or entertainment value as long as whatever strategy is well implemented. Do that and win as well and local fans will support it IMO. Trying to cater to casual fans by playing fast and loose hockey should, and has, failed.

Evason shares a fair amount of blame. He's long been responsible for the forwards/PP and any results in the way of improving attacking fundamentals are lacking.

Yandle is just as good as Green, arguably superior as a pure PP point presence.

Last edited by Langway: 04-02-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:03 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I actually think we had the horses on D in that Rags / Pitt year. We just didnt have depth to overcome the crippling injuries. Our offense was the team. They carried the team. A marginal D was adequate to do severe damage, and damage we did.

We had vets on D. Poti, Pothier, Erskine. SMo was our best Dman for years here. Juice even held his own in those playoffs. That doesnt include Green, our Norris runner. We were not inexperienced by any stretch like now.

We just couldn't overcome the near crippling injuries to Green Poti SMo and Erskine. They got damaged, Semin too, and we were done.

Through all that, Varly still got us to game 7 in round 2.

We were close. We needed to roll the dice and use the healthy D much more / call up depth - Sami or Alzner perhaps, and go back to our number 1 G. BB lost confidence in Theo but I thought he deserved another shot.
Good point about the injuries. They certainly didn't help!

But I have to disagree about the quality of our D from top to bottom.

In the Pens top 4 I saw Orpik, Letang, Gill and Scuderi. We only had 2 guys that could compare (Green and Poti). Shamo may have been our best D for some time but that CERTAINLY isn't saying much and I like the guy as a person.

Erskine is a warrior but really a 5-7 dman on a cup contending team. For much time he was in our top 4 paired with Poti. I was never ever a fan of Pothier from the moment we signed him and he did zero to change my mind.

BB wasn't the only one who lost confidence in Theo thats for sure! I remember before game 2 vs the Rags i was telling my friend BB would start Varly b/c if Theo faultered (which he would have) then you HAVE to have Varly start (his first playoff game) game 3 IN MSG.

Overall BB made most of the right moves he could possibly make. He just had a bunch of junk to work with on D and thus had to force Green to wear too many hats (play top offense AND shut down Croz). Having Shamo botching plays as his partner did him no favors.

The next year vs Montreal was no different except that we forced Carlson into service as a rookie and asked him to play a major role..b/c the majority of what we had sucked. While we were outmatched vs the Pens we still had more to overcome our lack of D vs the Habs..we just got Halaked.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:20 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Good points Rouse. We got sHalaked. Carlson was pressed into duty because Alzner the RD struggled. Fools to stick him there over Poti Sarge etc.

On Langers post.... I still think its George that wants to trap. Not a single poster has said Dale was a trapper in London. I think we see what George wants, he just didn't pick a trapper to run it. So its struggling. I think when he first wanted Dale, I don't think he wanted to trap. He probably kept his word to Dale, you get the next opening. Here we are.

At some point I hope Dale stands up to him and reminds him that his 4 thoroughbreds are finally all running, so perhaps its time to let them run. Dale may have broken some horses in London, but our guys don't need to be broken. Well Ovi maybe. They more just needed to be reigned / trained to run on the same pace. At our peak offense, we rarely saw 85 Oil Can grade passing. We are just all over the place. Win games we shouldn't, get blown out when we should win.

Yeah Evason is more part of the problem then the solution. He is a George foot soldier though, and is not going anywhere.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-02-2012 at 01:31 PM.
RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Dean Evason is "McPhee's Ovechkin."

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:09 PM
txpd

Dale needs to stand up to george. Cool. The caps trap and its mcphee jamming it down huntsies throat. The caps stop trapping and its dale telling george where to get off.....ok...

Here's what I know. Dale didn't need this job. He's turned down nhl jobs before. If this is mcphees plan dale knew it before accepting the job. He agreed and signed off on it. He had a rep to protect. Why would he take a job that goes against what he knows?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote