HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue and white disease takes toll on Leafs

Old
03-29-2012, 09:18 PM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Blue and white disease takes toll on Leafs

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/29...-toll-on-leafs

Quote:
Taking life as a Leaf for granted irked Burke — and rightly so. How could any player in good conscience accept the attention and hero worship, with no championship credentials and given a free pass for their past foibles?

Many came here as free agents, saying they welcomed the scrutiny in the self-aggrandizing “centre of the hockey universe,” for the potential payoff of beatification if the Leafs ever did get near a Cup.

But four years into the blotchy Burke blueprint and despite the dynamiting of the roster, the symptoms of the malady linger, the Air Canada Centre remains dark in April. And the man who vowed to eradicate Blue and White Disease is often the most guilty of spreading it.

It began in training camp when Burke thundered about fans unfairly hanging 44 years of Stanley Cup failure on the present team when none of them were alive in 1967. Fair enough. But then the Leafs chose hot-selling 1967 sweaters as their third jersey.

Until taking a total vow of silence after the trade deadline, Burke often used his public soapbox to complain how his players were being wronged in the media. A case in point was the James Reimer head injury, when the Leafs went weeks with-holding routine medical information that other teams would have released. They kept Reimer in a bubble while slagging reporters for doing their jobs.

But never was the coddling of the Leafs more evident than Burke’s comments after an inactive trade deadline. He warned of imposing his own earlier February trade deadline to keep out the inevitable rumours that he thought harmed his players. Never mind the Leafs had been showing signs of going off the rails for a few weeks before Feb. 27, eight losses in nine games, Burke tried to shift the blame to outside forces.

“I think it’s remarkable that the players have kept their focus throughout this time,” Burke said. “I think the trade deadline is hard on players (around the league), but I think it’s murder on players in Toronto.

“When we go to get a player, we don’t talk about whether he’s a National Hockey League player, we talk about whether he can play in Toronto. It is different here. That’s our life. It’s part of why people love this team, because of the (media) coverage and part of why it’s so special to play here. But there are times of the year where it’s a big millstone. For the peace of mind it (a Leaf-exclusive deadline) might be worth it.”

To this day, access is carefully controlled and despite the efforts of the staff, only a few Leafs make themselves available after a game, particularly a loss.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:23 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
It began in training camp when Burke thundered about fans unfairly hanging 44 years of Stanley Cup failure on the present team when none of them were alive in 1967. Fair enough. But then the Leafs chose hot-selling 1967 sweaters as their third jersey.
who thinks this crap up? wow, talk about bad journalism. Reaching much??

Pretty bad article from beginning to end.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Avs9500

The Sun is just a terrible paper.. Every time the Leafs lose they always blame it on stupid things, written by bad columnists, its never an interesting read, and worst of all its front page news the next day. No thanks Ill keep my $2.

Avs9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
thinkinfeller

I think it's poignant.

The only thing that ever changes in Toronto are the excuses.

thinkinfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:52 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Off-topic but since we're talking about terrible articles does anyone else ab solutely hate when Rosie DiMano tries to write about the Leafs? She knows nothing and is incredibly ugly. How'd she get er job? lol

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
The papers in Toronto are just as bad if not worse than the Leafs.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Pinchy

I think the article is bang on.

It is evident that there is no work ethic and no heart in these players. If you don't want to call that the blue and white disease, fine...but don't start acting like it's an article full of inacurracies just because it is pointing out the horrible situation we're in.

Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Uncle Slick

...didn't realize the Toronto Sun still had a sports section ...

Not totally related to the article, but it's a bit of a reach that the current maple leaf roster is mailing it in.

Falling out of the playoffs just didn't happen, the team has been in a downward slide for an extended period of time. Opposing teams were able to counter and break down Wilson's tactics, exposing roster weaknesses and exploiting deficiencies back in December/January.

More of a personal concern is that I find it hard to believe that individually, players go out with the intention of "tanking" or just going through the motions and or not trying. I think that to the last man, each one of them give everything that they can, but the reality is, and the sum of the parts tells us this - the "pieces" don't make a good fit team wise. These guys are pros, albeit not the best or most talented, somehow, someway, they made it to the NHL.

Also, Carlyle hasn't really made a difference in results although I do see a change in tactics, but no player(s) is playing any better.

Bottom line is the players that Burke selected to represent our NHL club this season, last season and the season before that are simply not competitive enough to compete regularly. So it appears that mgmt and scouting is not up to NHL standards.

How else do you account for a team that continues to lack NHL caliber depth; or why so many players lack higher level skills; or the lack of character, more so to the point of players who can inspire teammates.

This "Blue and White" disease, I think is perhaps more of a management affliction than a player affliction.

It's Burke & Co that continues to put players into situations that they can't possibly succeed in. Can we really expect a second/third stringer to play 1st line minutes and not make mistakes or be outperformed by the elite players of the opposition every game?

Uncle Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

i didnt even read a single line..it's by the sun. such a horrible news pape.r

03-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
The Boston Racists

Why do people even keep writing these horrible articles when they all say the same thing?

Media should just group together and write a single article titled "The Toronto Maple Leafs"

and all it would say is "This team is a joke. Discuss in the comments."

Bob Loblawbrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Toronto Sun lol. They are so desperate for readers, that they leave a copy everyday near my door even though I haven't subscribed. Needless to say, it goes to recycling bin without even being opened.

^ Apparently, the "Discuss in comments" feature doesn't work well in print form; and their prime market is still print media.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
The Boston Racists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Toronto Sun lol. They are so desperate for readers, that they leave a copy everyday near my door even though I haven't subscribed. Needless to say, it goes to recycling bin without even being opened.

^ Apparently, the "Discuss in comments" feature doesn't work well in print form; and their prime market is still print media.
Pfff print form? Get with the times!

Bob Loblawbrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Good read.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:20 PM
napoleon in rags
Bernier the boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundinOurOnlyChance View Post
Off-topic but since we're talking about terrible articles does anyone else ab solutely hate when Rosie DiMano tries to write about the Leafs? She knows nothing and is incredibly ugly. How'd she get er job? lol
Why do her looks have any bearing on this discussion?

napoleon in rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Confucius

Well at least Toronto is shaking the "rose coloured glasses" monicker. Certainly not many homers in this town

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

...more of the same drivel from a trash bag rag that relies on hyperbole to peddle its nonsense. In one part, the writer talks about how the ACC was designed in such a way to keep players from being "accountable" to the media...WTF?????

ACCOUNTABLE??? TO THE MEDIA???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

This jackbag has it bass-ackwards... it is their PRIVILEGE--- not right--- to get close enough to the players in a way the average fan never will. Their responsibility is to be transparent and let the reader glean from the report they will, not spin it and warp it to fabricate a non existent story, or badger the players for a reaction in order to justify having a job in the media.

If I see a Sun sports section on the Go Ill glance through it. If its lying there on the table in a take out joint Im ordering lunch from, I take a look. But I haven't paid for that piece of landfill they peddle in almost two years.

They suck.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
it is their PRIVILEGE--- not right--- to get close enough to the players in a way the average fan never will..
Why is it a privilege to get close to the players?

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:16 PM
thinkinfeller

Quote:
Their responsibility is to be transparent and let the reader glean from the report they will, not spin it and warp it to fabricate a non existent story, or badger the players for a reaction in order to justify having a job in the media.

The Leafs suck, which happens to be what they're writing about... that's the opposite of fabrication.

thinkinfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Why is it a privilege to get close to the players?
lol...You have a question it seems, on every post I make...are our opinions really that contrary?

A job in the field you (presumably) love, which gives you access to the people that play the game, and a behind the scenes vantage point that only a select, privileged few are able to attain, is not a right. Its not an entitlement. And the good ones in the business will respect certain boundaries and be transparent enough to let the reader decide instead of painting the picture how the author wishes it to be perceived. And the players aren't accountable to the media. Thats a fallacy, concocted by, you guessed it: the media. The writer claims that the organization carefully controls access, and has done for some time. If thats the case, it is reasonable to assume that there are boundaries that the local media has trouble respecting. And its not a stretch to imagine that a certain level of resentment might exist on behalf of the media as a result.

Last edited by Durkin67: 03-30-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old
03-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
The Leafs suck, which happens to be what they're writing about... that's the opposite of fabrication.
Thinkinfeller may want to think this through a little more. The Leafs suck, yes...but the constant hyperbole and twisting of information to spin a story to support the contentions of a bunch of self-important, arrogant twerps like Simmons, Feschuk, Berger, etc. borders on absurd. There is nothing transparent about the crap they spew daily. if you're happy reading that garbage, have at it. Ill listen to the experts like Bob McKenzie, and some of the others who don't feel the need to be malicious or sensationalist to remain relevant.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Epoch

Don't pay attention to Fox News North... I mean Toronto Sun.

Tabloid rag.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:36 AM
steve1873
44 Years

Ah, the truth always pains.

steve1873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:14 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Thinkinfeller may want to think this through a little more. The Leafs suck, yes...but the constant hyperbole and twisting of information to spin a story to support the contentions of a bunch of self-important, arrogant twerps like Simmons, Feschuk, Berger, etc. borders on absurd. There is nothing transparent about the crap they spew daily. if you're happy reading that garbage, have at it. Ill listen to the experts like Bob McKenzie, and some of the others who don't feel the need to be malicious or sensationalist to remain relevant.

What I find Ironic in all of this Leaf bashing by reports is that what they are reporting is brought on by the Face of the franchise.....Brian Burke.

It is his words that they are ramming down his throat. His captain ( and not the teams) that they are attacking. Burke attacks the media and what does he expect?

The most Ironic part of your post is that anyone (media) who attacks the Leafs are in your own words "self-important, arrogant twerps"......when this describes Burke to a tee!

How can you say they are not transparent? They Hate Burke for the way he has treated them.....that is obvious to me. You reap what you sow and the Leafs are currently a product of the environment that Burke has created. You anger is misplaced as it should be directed at the creator of this environment.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:27 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1873 View Post
Ah, the truth always pains.
Live by the sword...die by the sword....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
What I find Ironic in all of this Leaf bashing by reports is that what they are reporting is brought on by the Face of the franchise.....Brian Burke.

It is his words that they are ramming down his throat. His captain ( and not the teams) that they are attacking. Burke attacks the media and what does he expect?

The most Ironic part of your post is that anyone (media) who attacks the Leafs are in your own words "self-important, arrogant twerps"......when this describes Burke to a tee!

How can you say they are not transparent? They Hate Burke for the way he has treated them.....that is obvious to me. You reap what you sow and the Leafs are currently a product of the environment that Burke has created. You anger is misplaced as it should be directed at the creator of this environment.
Well, there's some journalistic integrity!

Burke takes shots at the media so they roast him! The journalists should not be including their own agenda in their articles. They are there to relay information to us and report information we care about. The fact they don't like Burke is very low on what I give a **** about! But hey! It's the sun and I guess I'm talking about real journalists!

I would also likely fault us for the current media ****storm! We eat up these negative articles! teh reporters could care less about what they right! They know if they attack the team and Burke we'll rad the article every whichway possible and dissect and discuss it for weeks!

You want accountability for this current environment! Look in teh mirror!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote