Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf Discussion

Old
03-26-2012, 10:48 AM
teemuselanne

vCash: 500
Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf Discussion

I would assume and hope BM is going to start trying to lock up the twins to extensions this summer if he hasn't already. I've heard Getzlaf repeatedly say how he and his wife love Anaheim and doesn't want to leave, but I've never heard Perry say anything like that. I'm not saying there's reason to believe he wants to test the market next summer, for all I know he wants to stay here, but there's still that possibility. It's not like Getz is guaranteed to stay here either. What are your guys thoughts on what's upcoming?

teemuselanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Exit Dose

Perry seems like the bigger wild card, but I think that may be because he's the most stoic of the two. The odds are probably the same even if Perry hasn't said much on the topic.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:05 AM
teemuselanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Perry seems like the bigger wild card, but I think that may be because he's the most stoic of the two. The odds are probably the same even if Perry hasn't said much on the topic.
I'd have to agree with you on that, and BM needs to figure out those odds sooner than later because if one, or both of them are not resigning, they have to be moved.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Fallenity

BM is not known for his proactive thinking. We'll be pooping our pants about this until the last minute, mark my word.

I'd like to see some kind of documentary or short video about them during the off-season, I have no idea what type of personality is Perry.

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:11 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Trade them all, they are all lazy bums

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:14 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Don't see Getzlaf trying to sign an extension this summer. When you have the option to avoid a new contract after a negative career year, you take the option to have a second chance at more money. Unless he doesn't care...but his numbers this year will factor heavily into how much he can ask for if negotiations start this summer.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Don't see Getzlaf trying to sign an extension this summer. When you have the option to avoid a new contract after a negative career year, you take the option to have a second chance at more money. Unless he doesn't care...but his numbers this year will factor heavily into how much he can ask for if negotiations start this summer.
That would suck if we Lost Schultz Perry And Getzie, Selanne, Koivu all in a year and a half time frame.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Theridion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
That would suck if we Lost Schultz Perry And Getzie, Selanne, Koivu all in a year and a half time frame.
Um... that's pretty impossible to happen. The Ducks kinda have some say in those decisions.

If Getz isn't going to resign, he is going to be traded. Same for Perry. If the Ducks just let them walk and don't do anything... well, then I'm not sure why we have a GM.

Theridion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:44 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
Um... that's pretty impossible to happen. The Ducks kinda have some say in those decisions.

If Getz isn't going to resign, he is going to be traded. Same for Perry. If the Ducks just let them walk and don't do anything... well, then I'm not sure why we have a GM.
Yeah. I mean. He's made some dumb decisions but...he's not THAT stupid. He'd be the laughingstock of the sporting world.

Plus...don't you read OCR articles? Teemu is coming back
to mentor young Nail Yakupov

Last edited by DuckJet: 03-26-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old
03-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
pretty much this... but he'd be doing Anaheim a huge favour signing a contract this off season.

Imo, Perry likes playing with Getzlaf too much, and they just have too much chemistry to break up for more money.

both Perry and Getzlaf really enjoy playing with Selanne, and have tremendous amount of respect for Selanne. maybe if Selanne retires after next season they won't want to stay as badly... but I think they'd like to fill in the void left by Teemu.

As long as Bob Murray (or our new GM) keeps the team competitive, I don't see Perry going somewhere else for more money. Perry you can basically sign whenever, barring an epic collapse next season like 20 goals, 55 points... Perry's value is going to stay pretty much the same.

If we get a good LW again... Perry and Getzalf will bounce back for sure. heck, maybe even the DSP-Getzlaf-Perry line will be enough to have them bounce back this year.

I think the biggest reason why Perry and Getzlaf haven't produced like usual is the inconsistent first line. RPG was together for a lot of last season... this season... not much after the first 18 games.

consistency will be key to getting the first line producing again.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

When exactly are they allowed to discuss an extension?

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:28 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
When exactly are they allowed to discuss an extension?
Pretty sure you can verbally agree one at any stage, but it can't be signed till a year or less is left on the contract IIRC.

Old
03-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Trade them all, they are all lazy bums
I like the way you think, but the big question is, for prospects or picks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemuselanne View Post
I would assume and hope BM is going to start trying to lock up the twins to extensions this summer if he hasn't already. I've heard Getzlaf repeatedly say how he and his wife love Anaheim and doesn't want to leave, but I've never heard Perry say anything like that. I'm not saying there's reason to believe he wants to test the market next summer, for all I know he wants to stay here, but there's still that possibility. It's not like Getz is guaranteed to stay here either. What are your guys thoughts on what's upcoming?
Perry is farthest from outspoken person as one could be. He's never indicated that he wants to leave either, but what he does every night is play with passion, and that speaks volumes.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:29 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
I like the way you think, but the big question is, for prospects or picks?
Picks for sure, much more valuable things to have then established players

Old
03-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Both Getzlaf and Anaheim know how much he'll get if he hits UFA ($8M+), I doubt the down year will affect the negotiations at all. If he wants to wait out the whole year for a chance at more money then he may as well test the market while he's at it.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Picks for sure, much more valuable things to have then established players
Sound plausible, but I'm not sure Getzlaf or Perry are even worth low 1st round pick, we may need to accept salary dump as well and/or add lower round pick.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 03:37 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
Sound plausible, but I'm not sure Getzlaf or Perry are even worth low 1st round pick, we may need to accept salary dump as well and/or add lower round pick.
That 7th round pick would be very valuable indeed, franchise player potential IMO

Old
03-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

I think Getzlaf stays due to his wife's roots in The OC IIRC. Perry I can see leaving if he doesn't like the direction the franchise I heading. Can't really blame him and it's pure speculation on my part, but I think he wants to go to a winner. Next year has a lot to do with whether Perry stays or not IMO.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:55 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Both Getzlaf and Anaheim know how much he'll get if he hits UFA ($8M+), I doubt the down year will affect the negotiations at all. If he wants to wait out the whole year for a chance at more money then he may as well test the market while he's at it.
I'm not suggesting he's going to look to make as much as he can. But look at it from his POV. This was his least productive year of his career (not counting rookie year) it's not the best idea to go for a new contract when you fell so short of expectations.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
I'm not suggesting he's going to look to make as much as he can. But look at it from his POV. This was his least productive year of his career (not counting rookie year) it's not the best idea to go for a new contract when you fell so short of expectations.
Yeah but management knows this season wasn't a typical Getzlaf season. So I highly doubt they use it against him in negotiations. I'ts not like he's a RFA, if they try and lowball him over one bad year he can very easily just walk. I think they'll try and reach an agreement before the season even begins.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Yeah but management knows this season wasn't a typical Getzlaf season. So I highly doubt they use it against him in negotiations. I'ts not like he's a RFA, if they try and lowball him over one bad year he can very easily just walk. I think they'll try and reach an agreement before the season even begins.
I don't think that will happen because of the CBA - they will want to know what the cap and salary rules are before signing him/them. Other years I would agree but this year I would be a little surprised by signing players early.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
I don't think that will happen because of the CBA - they will want to know what the cap and salary rules are before signing him/them. Other years I would agree but this year I would be a little surprised by signing players early.
You're right, I keep completely forgetting about the CBA. Yeah, obviously that will affect negotiations but as soon as a new CBA is in place (assuming an agreement is reached), I'm sure both sides will be looking at signing an extension as soon as possible (provided Getzlaf wants to stay, that is).

Old
03-27-2012, 03:48 AM
Theridion

What if... Perry and Getz are better without someone else?

Or, i mean... if you took a legit 1st line guy and put him on the line, would that really be the best option? The best use of cap-space?

If you got a legit 1st line guy and built a 2nd line around him and Ryan and whoever, would that be more bang for the cap-scpace buck? The increased breathing room with having a 1a/1b line with a scrub like hagman or whoever playing with Perry and Getz, would probably make a more productive Getz/Perry.

Theridion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 04:05 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

So simple - i want them to stay, but it is really tricky since now they are playing really inconsistent and there could be some problems with figuring out the value they`re worth.

And yeah lets not forget C4 is also ''on the line''. Wait, G and P will be UFA`s, right?

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 07:55 AM
teemuselanne

A lot of it depends on both the play of them and the team next year. I'd assume they're both looking to get in the 8mil range?