HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alumni Game

Old
04-01-2012, 03:54 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

vCash: 500
Alumni Game

This has been pretty fun so far. John is calling the action, which makes it 100x better. Tripp has had some good saves so far... most notably one on Ron Francis on a penalty shot (all penalties result in a penalty shot today). Anyone else here?

gocanes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:31 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Not there, but I'm following on Twitter. Jesse Boulerice of all people has a hat trick and Wesley is racking up the assists.

I still feel this game is pretty cheaply thrown together, though. They couldn't get other guys like O'Neill, Kapanen, Irbe, Battaglia or other long time Canes? With the 30 spots for fans, it seems like a cash grab to me more than an actual alumni game.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:17 PM
smi

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Not there, but I'm following on Twitter. Jesse Boulerice of all people has a hat trick and Wesley is racking up the assists.

I still feel this game is pretty cheaply thrown together, though. They couldn't get other guys like O'Neill, Kapanen, Irbe, Battaglia or other long time Canes? With the 30 spots for fans, it seems like a cash grab to me more than an actual alumni game.
Kapanen is playing in the FEL playoffs.

smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:09 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

JOHN FORSLUND TOTALLY GAVE ME A PUCK AFTER THE GAME. DHSIDHRDHSUGE

That is all.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Quote:
it seems like a cash grab to me more than an actual alumni game.
Doesn't all the money go to the Kids and Community Foundation?

04-01-2012, 06:32 PM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
Doesn't all the money go to the Kids and Community Foundation?
Yes.

04-01-2012, 06:38 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Oh, I thought it was just those extra donations that did. Either way, I feel they could have put together some better rosters if they wanted a real alumni game.

Old
04-01-2012, 07:48 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

It was a fun time, with some good laughs (thanks, Forslund!).

And somebody's gonna be framing this: http://t.co/hqGHeQ5k

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:27 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Oh, I thought it was just those extra donations that did. Either way, I feel they could have put together some better rosters if they wanted a real alumni game.
I would imagine that would involve paying for those guys to come, which would largely offset the purpose of the fundraiser.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Quote:
It sounds like they want this to become a regular thing, so maybe they can grow their player pool in the future.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:46 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I would imagine that would involve paying for those guys to come, which would largely offset the purpose of the fundraiser.
The foundation probably had expenses, yes. But they are a 501(c)3, meaning that they have a lot of flexibility in receiving in-kind donations. Perhaps the team proper contributed airline tickets? Or lodging? Or what if the players themselves paid their own way, and that was their contribution? Since I'm just finishing up getting some tax filings ready, I don't have any desire to go and see if "celebrity appearances" qualify as an in-kind donation, but perhaps they do. (Spending the better part of two weeks reading IRS rules in my spare time is plenty, thank you.)

They announced attendance at, what, over 3,000 people today? Say that if each person contributed what my wife and I did for admission, that brings the total gate alone to well over $60,000. And that's just a guess, since someone behind me dropped a check in for three figures and the kid in front of me stuffed in some singles.

They also had silent auction items available for bid, and we know that is generally lucrative.

What did it cost to play in this thing? If I remember correctly some spots were $1,500, and some auctioned off for up to $6,000 (or slightly more?). I think there were 30 roster spots to fill.

I think they probably fared perfectly fine.

Last edited by PaulProteus: 04-02-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old
04-02-2012, 01:55 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

What is the point, though, of even having the team proper cover airfare and lodging? Is adding O'Neill or Battaglia really going to bring in a substantially bigger crowd? Instead of spending $1000 a player, they could just as easily cut that check directly to the Foundation.

I dunno, having organized events like these (on a smaller scale obviously!) it bugs me a bit to see a fundraiser called "cheap" because it didn't go over the top with bells and whistles in its first year. People are just as quick to question charities when they spend tons of money on overhead.

Old
04-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:

If you bring in 10 more guys you have 10 less spots for fans at $1500 a spot. This was a charity event designed to raise as much money as possible.

The other thing you have to remember about the Canes is that they haven't been around that long. All those guys you mentioned still have jobs in hockey, not in the Raleigh area. The only reason the Canes could even get this many guys together is because they employ most of them already.

Side note: I did the Whalers alumni youth camp when I was real young and Gordie Howe was one of the instructors. That was an amazing experience.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:31 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Aaron Ward was there and he's a TSN analyst.

If it's a charity event fundraiser, call it a charity event fundraiser and not an alumni game.

Old
04-02-2012, 10:07 AM
caniac247

Quote:

If it's a charity event fundraiser, call it a charity event fundraiser and not an alumni game.
What does that have to do with anything?

And it was an alumni game put together for charity. I think they made it pretty clear the game was for charity.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Not to distract from this ridiculous argument, but Henry Staal's goal and corresponding over the top celebration was pretty awesome.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:

Next year they can call it "Game with some alumni for purposes of charity". Will that make you happy?

This organization does enough to complain about, do we really need to ***** about how a charity event was named?

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:56 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

It's amazing how silly this thread became over a fun, charitable day at the arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
Not to distract from this ridiculous argument, but Henry Staal's goal and corresponding over the top celebration was pretty awesome.
It was completely awesome. His move at the end is obviously patented by the Staal family.

I'm also going to give big props to the guy who was in net for the red team. I'm not sure how old he was, but I wouldn't be walking on two legs today if I'm him, no matter how much I tried to prepare for three periods of hockey.

Old
04-02-2012, 11:43 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
What does that have to do with anything?

And it was an alumni game put together for charity. I think they made it pretty clear the game was for charity.
Because he has a "job in hockey and not in the triangle area."

I make a small mention about something that seemed pretty cheesy and everyone gets all up in arms about it, but I'm the bad guy. Sorry some people decided to take it personally.

This board sometimes

Old
04-02-2012, 01:29 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

^ well, you led off by calling a fun, free-to-the-public fundraiser a "cash grab" that was "cheaply thrown together". The reactions aren't out of line.

Old
04-02-2012, 01:35 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Because he has a "job in hockey and not in the triangle area."

I make a small mention about something that seemed pretty cheesy and everyone gets all up in arms about it, but I'm the bad guy. Sorry some people decided to take it personally.

This board sometimes

But he still lives in the triangle. And who really cares.

The alumni were part guys who were part of the Canes organization. It was a great event that raised alot of money for the Kids n Community foundataion. Quite frankly for the first time ever doing this, I thought they did a great job.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

This topic is way too serious. So here's a picture of a pug dressed as Wonder Woman:

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
This topic is way too serious. So here's a picture of a pug dressed as Wonder Woman:

You made me look like an idiot laughing out loud in the middle of an airport Starbucks.

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:49 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
It was completely awesome. His move at the end is obviously patented by the Staal family.
I'm not sure if he was doing that to poke fun at his eldest, or if that enthusiasm just runs in the family.

Old
04-02-2012, 06:56 PM
WWAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Some of the guys might want to be re-imbursed, but it wouldn't surprise me next year if they reach out to some of the out of town guys, now that they know people might actually show up to something like this.

Jeff O'neill seemed to imply on twitter that he would have done it if they had asked, and in fact seemed a little put off by the fact they hadn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
I'm also going to give big props to the guy who was in net for the red team. I'm not sure how old he was, but I wouldn't be walking on two legs today if I'm him, no matter how much I tried to prepare for three periods of hockey.
That guy was a trooper.

I have to give some props out to Tripp as well. As much as we like to razz him, he actually does have some decent skills.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote