HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[Bell TV] Saturday games on CBC

Old
03-29-2012, 03:54 PM
carlwheezer

vCash: 500
[Bell TV] Saturday games on CBC

For those with Bell TV, you should already know that if the Sens play on Saturday against teams other than Toronto and Montreal at 7:00 pm, CBC would broadcast it on CBC-O (208) in SD since Bell does not provide the HD CBC Ottawa channel. It was different last Saturday vs. the Penguins game as the game was broadcasted on channel 804 (CBCHW) instead of having a duplicate feed of the Toronto game on there like usual. Any Bell viewers notice this? I hope they keep it this way.

Last edited by carlwheezer: 03-29-2012 at 11:39 PM.
carlwheezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:07 PM
topshelfie

Game last Saturday was a national broadcast because we were playing Crosby, I think it might be back to the usual this weekend but you never know.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:14 PM
True Believer

One of the key reasons that I'd like to see the death of the CBC. I bet they will still give Toronto and Montreal priority on the HD channels even though the games are meaningless(and bad hockey to boot). At least when the Sens play on Sportsnet or TSN I know I am guaranteed an HD quality feed.

I guess we won't have to worry about this once the playoffs start though.

True Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:08 PM
backdoorpass

so in two years when the deal is over with cbc, im sure tsn will take a major run at is, and its owned by bell then every game on saturdays will be leafs then to, we are in a no win situation

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Sarcasticus

vCash: 50
Sens play at 1:00pm this Saturday.

Sarcasticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:22 PM
carlwheezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Game last Saturday was a national broadcast because we were playing Crosby, I think it might be back to the usual this weekend but you never know.
Right. So the 804 CBCHW channel is the national feed game. I didn't know that. So basically the places besides Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal see the Leafs play in HD every Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticus View Post
Sens play at 1:00pm this Saturday.
Which means we will get an HD feed

Old
03-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

I always get Sens in HD on HNIC. Is this issue Bell specific?

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:08 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
I always get Sens in HD on HNIC. Is this issue Bell specific?
What you're getting is an up-sampled SD feed. It's not actually HD.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
Oh. It's only 32" TV and I sit a reasonable distance away. Can't say I've ever noticed it being that bad. Some channels it's noticeable that the HD 'quality' is bad.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:50 PM
True Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
32"

SD looks decent enough on a 32"

Old
03-29-2012, 10:58 PM
utah

Quote:
Yes, it is. The Sens home games have been in HD all year, and are not broadcast in Widescreen SD anymore. The upconverted Widescreen SD was common in previous years, because the CBC had limited HD trucks. They added a third HD truck this year.

The issue is with Bell ExpressVu. It's not a CBC issue. The CBC broadcasts CBC Ottawa in HD.

Rogers customers get all Ottawa home games in HD on the CBC....regardless of whether they're playing the Leafs or Habs.

The game this Saturday will be in HD. Bell customers can add an antenna to their TV, and use their TV's built in ATSC tuner to pick up CBC Ottawa HD over the air, to watch the game in HD.

Last edited by utah: 03-29-2012 at 11:05 PM.
utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:49 PM
carlwheezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah View Post
Yes, it is. The Sens home games have been in HD all year, and are not broadcast in Widescreen SD anymore. The upconverted Widescreen SD was common in previous years, because the CBC had limited HD trucks. They added a third HD truck this year.

The issue is with Bell ExpressVu. It's not a CBC issue. The CBC broadcasts CBC Ottawa in HD.

Rogers customers get all Ottawa home games in HD on the CBC....regardless of whether they're playing the Leafs or Habs.

The game this Saturday will be in HD. Bell customers can add an antenna to their TV, and use their TV's built in ATSC tuner to pick up CBC Ottawa HD over the air, to watch the game in HD.
Correct. Bell does not provide the CBC Ottawa HD channel for some reason. All Saturday afternoon Sens games are always HD since there are usually no other games played at the same time. All 7:00 pm games vs. teams other than Habs and Leafs will be SD for Bell customers with the exception of last Saturday because of Crosby possibly.

I hope CBC broadcasts the Senators playoff games (we will make it) instead of TSN. Some people don't have TSN, and TSN-HD is not worth it on Bell. But then, they have always been on CBC in the past so I shouldn't worry. They should really use Dean Brown instead of Jim Hughson/Bob Cole for the playoff games since he works on CBC anyways right? I know that they have their ranking of broadcasters, but Sens fans are most familiar with Dean's voice.

Last edited by carlwheezer: 03-29-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old
03-30-2012, 12:18 AM
True Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwheezer View Post
Correct. Bell does not provide the CBC Ottawa HD channel for some reason. All Saturday afternoon Sens games are always HD since there are usually no other games played at the same time. All 7:00 pm games vs. teams other than Habs and Leafs will be SD for Bell customers with the exception of last Saturday because of Crosby possibly.

I hope CBC broadcasts the Senators playoff games (we will make it) instead of TSN. Some people don't have TSN, and TSN-HD is not worth it on Bell. But then, they have always been on CBC in the past so I shouldn't worry. They should really use Dean Brown instead of Jim Hughson/Bob Cole for the playoff games since he works on CBC anyways right? I know that they have their ranking of broadcasters, but Sens fans are most familiar with Dean's voice.
Cole is absolutely brutal on Sens games but let's not open that can of worms right now.

Old
03-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Believer View Post

SD looks decent enough on a 32"
Must be why it looks ok, because it sounds like Rogers give me HD CBC Ottawa.

Old
03-30-2012, 08:18 AM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwheezer View Post

If I remember correctly, the deal between CBC and TSN is that CBC gets first rights to any series involving Canadian teams... so the Sens and the Canucks would be CBC series pretty much by default.

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:48 AM
pepty

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
If I remember correctly, the deal between CBC and TSN is that CBC gets first rights to any series involving Canadian teams... so the Sens and the Canucks would be CBC series pretty much by default.
Hughson will do the Canucks.That will be considered the primo series.

Ottawa will likely be Brown and Millen or Cole and Galley.
Of course Galley and Brown would be ideal.

They never put those two together, for some reason. They can't really argue they don't want homer broadcasters when they have Simpson and Hughson doing the Canucks broadcast.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Undistorted real widescreen is all I care about it looks HD to me on Rogers

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Undistorted real widescreen is all I care about it looks HD to me on Rogers
Because it is HD on Rogers..

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
Because it is HD on Rogers..
That's what I say but a couple of guys here still insist that CBC does not have enough equipment to broadcast HD for Ottawa games when TO is playing. As I said before the lights are not as bright in Ottawa in the rink and crowd areas compared to Toronto so it may seem that the signal is not as good but imo it's more to do with angles and minimizing glare due to the rink's configuration. Maybe some are just regurgitating old information.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Kind of off-topic... but At the end of april I will be switching to Bell TV from Rogers... All in all are you satisfied with the service?

Old
03-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Kind of off-topic... but At the end of april I will be switching to Bell TV from Rogers... All in all are you satisfied with the service?
In my experiences they are both bad, but Rogers is a little less bad... LOL

My issues with Bell were related to customer service though, the quality of programming, internet and such is basically the same, except for the Saturday CBC HD fiasco of course..

Old
03-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
That's what I say but a couple of guys here still insist that CBC does not have enough equipment to broadcast HD for Ottawa games when TO is playing. As I said before the lights are not as bright in Ottawa in the rink and crowd areas compared to Toronto so it may seem that the signal is not as good but imo it's more to do with angles and minimizing glare due to the rink's configuration. Maybe some are just regurgitating old information.
oh ok sorry...

Yeah for sure it is broadcast in HD, it's Bell that doesn't pick it up...

Old
03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:

Good luck, Yooooooshy.

White Goodman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:14 PM
True Believer

Interesting. I always blamed the CBC for not broadcasting Ottawa games in HD. Apparently I need to re-direct my hatred towards Bell Canada. Learn something new every day.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:

Have you seen this site?

http://www.dslreports.com/forums/23

It discusses all kinds of service, deals, hardware and product problems, issues, innovations etc... with various Canadian service providers.