Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Chara win another Norris?

Old
03-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Cheesy

vCash: 500
Could Chara win another Norris?

Pretty straightforward question: Do you think Z will take home another Norris this season? I was just perusing the leaders in defensemen stats and it looks to me like he's deserving.

He's now 2nd in defenseman scoring to Karlsson, albeit by quite a bit.
But he's also far superior to Karlsson in pretty much every other category and everyone knows it. First in d-man +/-, 2nd in points, 2nd in PP goals, plays over 25:00 a night, etc, etc.

I don't need to list all the things Chara is great at to you guys, we all know how much he means. So what do you think? Will he win the Norris or will the league make a joke of the award and give it to Karlsson?

Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:34 PM
patty59

He should win it. He's the best D-man in the league and should have won the last 3 of them. I'm just afraid that the 'media' who get to vote will favour points over playing actual D.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:37 PM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Karlsson plays in Canada so he wins unfortunately. media bias

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:37 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Password is Taco View Post
Karlsson plays in Canada so he wins unfortunately. media bias
Who was the last player to win one from a Canadian team?

Old
03-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
They'll probably give it to Lidstrom again like last year even though he didn't deserve it.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:47 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Karlsson is an unbelievable player, but he should not be in Norris contention, though I think he will be.

Karlsson doesn't kill penalties. He averages :32s of SH/TOI per game. That's usually when he gets put on the ice for the final 10s of a PK too.

This is JMO, but any defenseman who doesn't kill penalties should not be eligible to be the "best defenseman" in the league. You can't be the best at something when you flat out don't participate in one of the biggest aspects of being a defenseman.

I worry that since Karlsson so excels at the offensive aspects of being a defenseman that he will end up a finalist, which he shouldn't really be either, but I'm confident that the writers who vote for the awards will "reward" him in the sense that he was a finalist but be smart enough not to actually give it to him.

Chara's the best all-around defenseman in the league right now, and that's the nature of the Norris Trophy. He deserves to win it, and I think he will.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:48 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Chara is the best defenseman in the league this year and he was last year, too.

Who knows who they will give this award to this year.

I'd rather see him win the Conn Smythe anyway.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Bruinsforlife89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
They'll probably give it to Lidstrom again like last year even though he didn't deserve it.
Agree

Bruinsforlife89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:54 PM
NinthSpoke06

Chara had his struggles this year, but he is still the best defensemen in the league today.

The biggest knock on him has always been his offensive production and now he brought that with him this year surpassing the gurus like Lidstrom and Weber.

He absolutely should win the award this year. No doubt in my mind.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
Karlsson is an unbelievable player, but he should not be in Norris contention, though I think he will be.

Karlsson doesn't kill penalties. He averages :32s of SH/TOI per game. That's usually when he gets put on the ice for the final 10s of a PK too.

This is JMO, but any defenseman who doesn't kill penalties should not be eligible to be the "best defenseman" in the league. You can't be the best at something when you flat out don't participate in one of the biggest aspects of being a defenseman.

I worry that since Karlsson so excels at the offensive aspects of being a defenseman that he will end up a finalist, which he shouldn't really be either, but I'm confident that the writers who vote for the awards will "reward" him in the sense that he was a finalist but be smart enough not to actually give it to him.

Chara's the best all-around defenseman in the league right now, and that's the nature of the Norris Trophy. He deserves to win it, and I think he will.
Agreed. I don't dislike Karlsson, but the award goes to best DEFENSEman. Karlsson may be there someday, but he isn't yet.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:05 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Chara will be in the top two, but I have no idea which way the votes will go. Chara is the best all around defencemen this year, but Karlsson is lapping the field offensively with a 34% lead over Chara. I agree that in most cases the Norris should go to the best all around defencemen, but Karlsson’s offensive superiority over his peers might be enough for him to win the Norris in a Coffey-like fashion. Karlsson is tied for 6th in the NHL in scoring and Chara is 87th.

That said, the Norris is similar to the Selke where a player has to build a reputation before they are acknowledged and Chara does have the benefit of the doubt here.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:13 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Chara will be in the top two, but I have no idea which way the votes will go. I agree Chara is the best all around defencemen this year, but Karlsson is lapping the field offensively with a 34% lead over Chara. I agree that in most cases the Norris should go to the best all around defencemen, but Karlsson’s offensive superiority over his peers might be enough for him to win the Norris in a Coffey-like fashion. Karlsson is tied for 6th in the NHL in scoring and Chara is 87th.

That said, the Norris is similar to the Selke where a player has to build a reputation before they are acknowledged and Chara does have the benefit of the doubt here.
Karlsson's offense is something to behold this season, that's for sure, but Chara's #2 in D scoring; he's no slouch. Not amongst the league leaders as Karlsson is, but great for a defenseman all the same.

I still harken back to the fact that Karlsson doesn't kill penalties. IIRC Coffey did, which makes him winning based on absurd offense more bearable since he contributed in all aspects of being a defenseman.

We saw the same thing last year with Visnovsky. Lots of people were calling him a leader for the Norris, saying he should win for sure due to his outstanding production. But he has even less SH/TOI than Karlsson, and it played out that he wasn't even a finalist.

I think Karlsson makes the final three, but the fact that he isn't all that good at defense at the current point in time will prevail. I don't think he should even be a finalist because of the fact that he doesn't play PK, but as a young kid on a Canadian team I think he will be.

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:14 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Lidstrom is a great player but he was average at best last year. How he won it over Chara I have no freakin' clue.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Lidstrom is a great player but he was average at best last year. How he won it over Chara I have no freakin' clue.
Reputation, and the whispers that it could be his final year.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:26 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
Karlsson's offense is something to behold this season, that's for sure, but Chara's #2 in D scoring; he's no slouch. Not amongst the league leaders as Karlsson is, but great for a defenseman all the same.

I still harken back to the fact that Karlsson doesn't kill penalties. IIRC Coffey did, which makes him winning based on absurd offense more bearable since he contributed in all aspects of being a defenseman.

We saw the same thing last year with Visnovsky. Lots of people were calling him a leader for the Norris, saying he should win for sure due to his outstanding production. But he has even less SH/TOI than Karlsson, and it played out that he wasn't even a finalist.

I think Karlsson makes the final three, but the fact that he isn't all that good at defense at the current point in time will prevail. I don't think he should even be a finalist because of the fact that he doesn't play PK, but as a young kid on a Canadian team I think he will be.
I agree with you, but I am just trying to look at this situation the same way the media and voters will. I think Chara should win, but I am not convinced he will win.

In other good news many scouts have compared Dougie Hamilton to Alex Pietrangelo and he is probably the other guy I would pick for Norris finalist this year, but he probably hasn't made enough of a repuation yet.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:26 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 1340
Nobody is standing out, so he has a solid chance.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Hairz

Personally, I think it is hard not to give it to Karlsson after the year he is having. However many will say he is not good in his end so it all depends on how people few the award.

If I had to nominate three:
1. Karlsson
2. Chara
3. Pietrangelo

Hairz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:33 PM
WhiteMandingo

One more point and Chara sets a new career high, at 35 years old no less.

WhiteMandingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:36 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Chara has turned it up a notch of late. He's getting into postseason mode and it's rubbing off on the rest of the team.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:37 PM
patty59

There is no way Chara shouldn't win this. A d-man that doesn't kill penalties shouldn't even be in the conversation. I don't care how many points he has.

Old
03-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Lobster57

vCash: 225
If Lidstrom is handed another one he doesn't deserve, does that tie him with Bobby Orr? Maybe Chara gets 15-20 points in the last 4 games to prevent that, as it would be one of the biggest travesties in the game.

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:56 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Zdeno Chara is without question the best defenseman in the NHL today. He deserves the Norris, and I expect him to win it. He's going to retire with 2-3 Norris trophies and head into the HHOF as one of the top 20 defensemen to ever lace up skates.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Sam the Lion
**** the Habs

Huge, intimidating, physical defensive stud that plays huge minutes and completely shuts down the best offensive players in the NHL . . . plays both PP and PK . . . 2nd in scoring among NHL D-men . . . Captain of the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins.

This should not even be open to discussion.

Sam the Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:43 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy View Post
Pretty straightforward question: Do you think Z will take home another Norris this season? I was just perusing the leaders in defensemen stats and it looks to me like he's deserving.

He's now 2nd in defenseman scoring to Karlsson, albeit by quite a bit.
But he's also far superior to Karlsson in pretty much every other category and everyone knows it. First in d-man +/-, 2nd in points, 2nd in PP goals, plays over 25:00 a night, etc, etc.

I don't need to list all the things Chara is great at to you guys, we all know how much he means. So what do you think? Will he win the Norris or will the league make a joke of the award and give it to Karlsson?

Hater's gonna hate.

Do you know Karlsson @ 21 plays more TOI than Chara? Some good 10-15 sec per that Chara's 25:06 and is +19?

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:44 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post

Hater's gonna hate.

Do you know Karlsson @ 21 plays more TOI than Chara? Some good 10-15 sec per that Chara's 25:06 and is +19?
Did you know that Karlsson doesn't kill penalties and is suspect defensively?