HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Disgruntled Fans Sue NHL Over Broadcast Access

Old
04-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Law

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Disgruntled Fans Sue NHL Over Broadcast Access

On-going discussion on the BoH board, thought this might be of interest around here as well, especially considering how many ex-Long Islanders like myself we have out there.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/1154529--disgruntled-fans-sue-nhl-over-broadcast-access

Btw, is this guy on the boards?
Quote:
One plaintiff, Thomas Laumann, lives in Florida and is a fan of the New York Islanders. Laumann would prefer not to purchase a full out-of-market package to get Islanders games — or subscribe to pay TV to watch Isles games involving the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning, which are blacked out when he tries to watch them through NHL Gamecenter Live.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:22 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

I dont understand how they can win this. No one has a right to watch a hockey game. If you have the copyright to something, you get to choose how much people pay and where they can enjoy it. That's the point of a copyright.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Isles72

I've subscribed to center ice through Bell expressvu for over 10 years (from ont.,canada)in order to catch the isles games .I've been extremely pleased for the most part , but since aquiring HD satellite service ,I'm not very happy with the amount of HD games .

for some reason , MSG and their overflow channels as well as Comcast Philly and Caps games are not available in HD -but are readily available in the SD .And , who's to say NESN (excellent Bruins HD feed) joins in next year or any other HD feed for that matter.

if I dont receive confirmation from Bell that MSG /MSG overflow and Comcast PHA/WSH games will be available in HD next year I wont be subscribing to center ice again .

in the past , I only had SD satellite receivers so the lack of HD games wasnt an issue.

once you get spoiled with HD quality you really wont waste your time watching the SD feed unless desperate.

I found myself watching an HD feed game instead of Isles v.s Rangers in SD , for example .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:21 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
I've subscribed to center ice through Bell expressvu for over 10 years (from ont.,canada)in order to catch the isles games .I've been extremely pleased for the most part , but since aquiring HD satellite service ,I'm not very happy with the amount of HD games .

for some reason , MSG and their overflow channels as well as Comcast Philly and Caps games are not available in HD -but are readily available in the SD .And , who's to say NESN (excellent Bruins HD feed) joins in next year or any other HD feed for that matter.

if I dont receive confirmation from Bell that MSG /MSG overflow and Comcast PHA/WSH games will be available in HD next year I wont be subscribing to center ice again .

in the past , I only had SD satellite receivers so the lack of HD games wasnt an issue.

once you get spoiled with HD quality you really wont waste your time watching the SD feed unless desperate.

I found myself watching an HD feed game instead of Isles v.s Rangers in SD , for example .
Hey, I have Centre Ice as well (on Eastlink in Halifax) and I get the Flyers and Washington games, so that could just be a capacity thing with Bell or something.

As for MSG, MSG had a fight with the NHL or someone over HD and as a result the HD feed isn't made available to most centre ice users. It sucks, I agree. The NHL needs to tighten up those rules with its clubs.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Hey, I have Centre Ice as well (on Eastlink in Halifax) and I get the Flyers and Washington games, so that could just be a capacity thing with Bell or something.

As for MSG, MSG had a fight with the NHL or someone over HD and as a result the HD feed isn't made available to most centre ice users. It sucks, I agree. The NHL needs to tighten up those rules with its clubs.
na , its not a capacity thing with Bell regarding the philly and cap games on comcast .
they have 7 HD c'ice channels and on many occasions there was plenty of room to air the flyers and caps in HD .I dont stay up late to watch the Sharks so I'm betting their games on comcast are not in HD either on Bell's version .what seems odd to me is the Blackhawk games on comcast are picked up in HD .So why are the caps/flyers and possibly shark games not in HD .

I'm aware of the problems with c-ice / msg / nhl --what irks me is msg has broadcast rights to the isles,devils,sabres,rangers -so its a huge conflict of interest .

I'd be pissed if I owned the isles,devils,sabres knowing my out of market fans cannot see the team in HD due to MSG withholding the feed for most satt/cable providers.

obviously fans could still see the isles,sabres,devils in HD if a game is broadcast nationally via TSN/NBC/CBC or via an RSN that has HD feed available (like the bruins,pens,panther,bolts,canes etc..HD feeds)

I'd say , only 65% of the isles games were in HD via bell c-ice this year (via national telecast or opposing team RSN HD feed)

I think eventually you will see a two levels of C-ice --HD /SD versions where you pay a premium for the HD pkg (and I'd be perfectly fine with that )

Last edited by Isles72: 04-01-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old
04-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Renbarg

Waste of money for that guy. Like someone said he has no "right" for access to the Islanders broadcast on his terms.

The NHL will fight this tooth and nail, so even if he gets a sympathetic judge early on it will get overturned sooner or later.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Bauer Warrior*

This is great! We need another frivolous law suit!

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:18 AM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
I dont understand how they can win this. No one has a right to watch a hockey game. If you have the copyright to something, you get to choose how much people pay and where they can enjoy it. That's the point of a copyright.
Probably inspired by their government telling them they have a right to healthcare...

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Isles Junkie

I never really understood why if you bought the NHL center ice package, games would be blacked out if they were playing your local team. Are there that many people in Dallas who are big NYI fans who will be screwing with the Stars TV ratings because they'll be watching on center ice instead of on the Stars TV station?

I think if you bought the package, you should be able to watch any game you want to no matter where you live, no questsions asked.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:29 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

I don't think the lawsuit has any legal legs, but it is good to see the NHL being forced to address the issue. Every game should be broadcast in HD. The MSG vs the NHL issue should be an easy solve as one owner's rights in this case are a conflict of interest with several clubs' fan bases. They are hurting the overall product by being the scrooge.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:42 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

When they blackout a game is it both feeds?

I could understand them blacking out the local feed, because your choice of Center Ice could take money away from their subscription fees (which are based on exclusivity). However, if they are blacking out the opposing team's feed (with the exception of, say Isles/Rangers, where they'd both be blacked out due to local exclusivity) that's ridiculous, since I (likely) have no ability to subscribe to the opposing team's channel.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Bauer Warrior*

I'm suing Brad Pitt for being so handsome.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:19 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
Probably inspired by their government telling them they have a right to healthcare...
RWW, I'm giving you the biggest, gayest manhug right now....don't tell my g/f. This lawsuit is idiocy.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I never really understood why if you bought the NHL center ice package, games would be blacked out if they were playing your local team. Are there that many people in Dallas who are big NYI fans who will be screwing with the Stars TV ratings because they'll be watching on center ice instead of on the Stars TV station?

I think if you bought the package, you should be able to watch any game you want to no matter where you live, no questsions asked.
and 9 times out of 10 it would likely be the home feed anyways , so no harm done .

Old
04-01-2012, 12:26 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
RWW, I'm giving you the biggest, gayest manhug right now....don't tell my g/f. This lawsuit is idiocy.
...right back at ya big boy!

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:23 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
...right back at ya big boy!
Let me remind you both that this is the HF Boards where we discuss hockey and the Islanders. You both may be on the wrong boards.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:30 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Let me remind you both that this is the HF Boards where we discuss hockey and the Islanders. You both may be on the wrong boards.
I thought it was Hunky Fabulous Boards!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Moosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
When they blackout a game is it both feeds?

I could understand them blacking out the local feed, because your choice of Center Ice could take money away from their subscription fees (which are based on exclusivity). However, if they are blacking out the opposing team's feed (with the exception of, say Isles/Rangers, where they'd both be blacked out due to local exclusivity) that's ridiculous, since I (likely) have no ability to subscribe to the opposing team's channel.
In Indianapolis, all home and away Blackhawks games are blacked out. Hence, I didn't get the games they played vs. the Islanders, which were in the same week this year.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote