Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Most Disappointing Season

Old
03-31-2012, 09:28 PM
OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
Most Disappointing Season

So who does everyone think had the most promise this season but failed? It is probably between the Soo and the Sting.

The Soo with that horrible trade and Sarnia making big deals for a first round exit.

My vote goes Sarnia I think I know they had some serious injury problems to big name players but still they were going for it all this year and had an extremely talented roster.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Libbs

Sarnia 100%. They gave up MUCH more than SSM and all it got them was 6 extra games.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:56 PM
Leafan519

Sting by far. 3 more years of Kujawinski for 2 months of Spooner, a whack of picks + Richtie for Anderson who's not even been better than Maxwell (whos still in the playoffs) since the trade. Traded away the future aquire overagers for a big run and get bounced in the first round (in which they were outplayed in every game) What a friggen joke.

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:02 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Gotta give the title to the Sting. You can't buy a contender..and now the fans will suffer for the next few years. I think Jocko's days in Sarnia are numbered.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:10 AM
cfaub

The Soo - Dunas is a young rookie GM that over rated his team and was taken to the cleaners on one deal. Their season can be blamed on an over zealous rookie mistake and easily be learned from.

The Sting - An experienced GM and coach who tried to do it all at once in order to be the "saviour" of the organization. I could have seen Jacques clearing out a few players, bring in a few kids and go for it next year with the hopes this year of being a solid play off run. He knows you can't buy a contender and he knows you need to build the team, chemistry and all that goes along with icing a winner.

Unless this was all related to pressure from above you have to give it to the Sting.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:56 AM
bidzey

vCash: 50
I never did understand why someone would trade over-agers for rookies. The league is too unpredictable for that. Maybe if you have all the tools for a memorial cup run, but thinking your one player short and you try and go get him, then I can see, but on the average, I don't understand the logic.

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:40 AM
lazyboy

Absolutely, positively and without rival the Sarnia Sting. Some others in the equation may have been the early season Saginaw Spirit and Oshawa could be in the discussion with all their name players. Great teams on paper don't always mean good teams on the ice I guess

lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Nyax

Definitely the Sting. With all the big trades they made to lose in the first round is a dissaster. I know they had a lot of injury issues throughout the season but they still should have done better. If Bealieu leaves to rejoin the Knights or something, he is going to be hated in Sarnia.

The Soo finishing out of the playoffs was brutal, but they didn't have the same high expectations as Sarnia did.

Nyax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:54 PM
RJQuack

Q fan here so I'm not up really to speed with all OHL trades... What was the Soo trade? And who was involved?

I know what Sarnia did and... well...

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:09 AM
BigBuck

lol,The Soo traded for Windsor's goalie Jack Campbell early in the year then went on to miss the playoffs.Very big trade at the time.
In exchange, Windsor receives players Mackenzie Braid and Patrick Sieloff along with six draft choices: Kingston's 3rd in 2012, Windsor's 2nd in 2013, Erie's 3rd in 2013, Owen Sound's 2nd in 2014, Saginaw's 2nd in 2014, Sault Ste. Marie's 2nd in 2015 and Sault Ste. Marie's 15th in 2016 (conditional).

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:53 AM
NHL Fanatic

It has to be Sarnia, with that star studded line up they should have made a deep playoff run. Throwing away a future stud like Kujawinski was a mistake. Kujawinski's final stretch with Kingston has proved this kid has star potential, he was a points per game player the rest of the year. In the OHL it's not very hard to regain lost picks. Dubas can easily regain a ton of those picks he lost based on who he drafts or trading away a veteran. Look at a team like Mississauga for example, they hosted the Memorial Cup and traded away lots of future drafts selections but were able to regain many with two trades. The Soo will rebound and become a competitive team in the upcoming years.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:23 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Sarnia's outcome was certainly disappointing but the team made the playoffs which was finally nice even if they were ousted in 6 games againsr a hot Saginaw team. Losing Ritchie wasn't a big deal IMO. The Anderson acquisition looks bad in hindsight but it opened up eyes that goaltending (Maxwell, Anderson, Hope) can only go so far. The defensive system was the real fault - not the G.

Losing Kujawinski is disappointing considering Spooner was a 3 month rental (he was fun to watch). However, Sarnia's real 1st round pick was Anthony DeAngelo who they got in the 2nd. One can certainly argue that DeAngelo will be a better OHLer than Kujawinski. But it wouldve been nice to have both youngster

Disappointing season but Sarnia should be able to recoup a ton of assets next year when they trade Galchenyuk, Murphy, Sarault, Boucher, and/or Chialitti and the rest of the seasoned vets

The Soo's Jack Campbell trade was the worst of the season. Awful

The Generals season as a whole was probably the most disappointing. That talented team just couldn't get anything going.

dean youngblood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
The Generals season as a whole was probably the most disappointing. That talented team just couldn't get anything going.
Agree completely.

For me, Oshawa easily had the most disappointing season in the OHL. I figured Sarnia would finish right around where they did (middle of the West). But I thought Oshawa would be (and many did) right near the top of the Eastern Conference. And they were fighting for a playoff spot for most of the season and were also eliminated in round 1.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:41 AM
RayzorIsDull

I would agree with comments on Oshawa. Sarnia might have been disappointing but they were probably doomed before the puck dropped for the first game with losing Galchenyuk we won't even discuss other injuries but there's a chance Sarnia is still very good next year. I don't see how Galchenyuk is in the NHL next year after very little game action this year. If there is ever an NHL work stoppage you would see Yakupov back.

Returnees
Galchenyuk 95%
Sarault
Boucher
Alberga
Hottot
Duininck
DeAngelo
Murphy
Basso
Hope

Add in a youngster like Davis Brown 45 goals with Strathroy and depth guys like Dundas and Mater if Yakupov did return then you have the makings of a very solid hockey team. Some trades like Spooner and JP Anderson look bad but the Sting still have something to fall back on. As for the Sault they lose a lot of players which might be a good thing but Soo was a bigger disappointment than Sarnia. I figured Sarnia would be a 4-5 seed at the beginning I didn't think they were better than Plymouth or London. Mix in the injuries, facing the hottest team in the league in Saginaw it wasn't a good matchup for Sarnia.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:19 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Sarnia's outcome was certainly disappointing but the team made the playoffs which was finally nice even if they were ousted in 6 games againsr a hot Saginaw team. Losing Ritchie wasn't a big deal IMO. The Anderson acquisition looks bad in hindsight but it opened up eyes that goaltending (Maxwell, Anderson, Hope) can only go so far. The defensive system was the real fault - not the G.

Losing Kujawinski is disappointing considering Spooner was a 3 month rental (he was fun to watch). However, Sarnia's real 1st round pick was Anthony DeAngelo who they got in the 2nd. One can certainly argue that DeAngelo will be a better OHLer than Kujawinski. But it wouldve been nice to have both youngster

Disappointing season but Sarnia should be able to recoup a ton of assets next year when they trade Galchenyuk, Murphy, Sarault, Boucher, and/or Chialitti and the rest of the seasoned vets

The Soo's Jack Campbell trade was the worst of the season. Awful

DeAngelo had an impressive season. The youngster looked like a seasoned veteran on many nights. He has a high hockey IQ, very smart with the puck. Definitely should have gone in the top 5, Sarnia made a good move acquiring him in the 2nd. If they could have kept both players would've been better. Sarnia is a team that struggled on the defensive side of the puck, DeAngelo will be better for them in the long run.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:00 AM
krauss72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I would agree with comments on Oshawa. Sarnia might have been disappointing but they were probably doomed before the puck dropped for the first game with losing Galchenyuk we won't even discuss other injuries but there's a chance Sarnia is still very good next year. I don't see how Galchenyuk is in the NHL next year after very little game action this year. If there is ever an NHL work stoppage you would see Yakupov back.

Returnees
Galchenyuk 95%
Sarault
Boucher
Alberga
Hottot
Duininck
DeAngelo
Murphy
Basso
Hope

Add in a youngster like Davis Brown 45 goals with Strathroy and depth guys like Dundas and Mater if Yakupov did return then you have the makings of a very solid hockey team. Some trades like Spooner and JP Anderson look bad but the Sting still have something to fall back on. As for the Sault they lose a lot of players which might be a good thing but Soo was a bigger disappointment than Sarnia. I figured Sarnia would be a 4-5 seed at the beginning I didn't think they were better than Plymouth or London. Mix in the injuries, facing the hottest team in the league in Saginaw it wasn't a good matchup for Sarnia.
I can only hope you are correct with who will return. But with those lads from the states (Galy, Murphy, Boucher) they could potentially play in the AHL next year. One would think not but you never know.

krauss72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
I can only hope you are correct with who will return. But with those lads from the states (Galy, Murphy, Boucher) they could potentially play in the AHL next year. One would think not but you never know.
Gally, no. Not possible since he'll be drafted out of the CHL. Was Boucher drafted? I'd expect both players to be back. Just because the option is there doesn't mean a NHL team is going to exercise that option. IMO the thing with Morin sticking was an extreme case because he was that good.

Old
04-02-2012, 11:34 AM
krauss72

You could be bang on Libbs, I'm not 100% to be honest. BUT I was told by more than one person that the kids from the states don't fall under the same "drafted out of the CHL rule" any longer. Which I might add is BS if true but was what I was told. Granted, I think all three will or at least should be back but stranger things have happened.

krauss72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Libbs

Quote:
You could be bang on Libbs, I'm not 100% to be honest. BUT I was told by more than one person that the kids from the states don't fall under the same "drafted out of the CHL rule" any longer. Which I might add is BS if true but was what I was told. Granted, I think all three will or at least should be back but stranger things have happened.
Never heard that one... as far as I know the current rules still exist.

Old
04-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Incorrect. The rule still exists. If you're drafted out of the CHL, you fall under the waiting period for the AHL/ECHL.

However, Boucher (NJD pick) and Murphy (PHX pick) were drafted out of the USHL (U.S. under 18 team), so the rule does not apply to them and both could play in the AHL next year.

However, after watching both extensively this year, I don't think either is ready. Murphy needs to play a full season healthy (he was much better towards the end of the season), and Boucher needs to get stronger, quicker, and become more consistent.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Libbs

I think people are far too paranoid about this AHL stuff. Yes it's possible but there's a reason there aren't many under-aged players in the AHL. Using the last 2 examples of Morin and Loktionov, they were both extreme talents. Granted one could make the case for Morin to have been returned but IMO neither Murphy or Boucher are of the level of Morin/Loktionov.

Old
04-02-2012, 02:21 PM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Incorrect. The rule still exists. If you're drafted out of the CHL, you fall under the waiting period for the AHL/ECHL.

However, Boucher (NJD pick) and Murphy (PHX pick) were drafted out of the USHL (U.S. under 18 team), so the rule does not apply to them and both could play in the AHL next year.

However, after watching both extensively this year, I don't think either is ready. Murphy needs to play a full season healthy (he was much better towards the end of the season), and Boucher needs to get stronger, quicker, and become more consistent.
I agree with your assessment. If one of them were to make the jump it would be Murphy but I for one hopes he will be back. Boucher needs to work hard on his goals against next year and I am sure the OHL will be the better place for that.

fanofdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:38 PM
HLLYWD99

Smaller market teams need playoff revenue to consider a season a success and the Sting managed to get 3 games worth.
The Sault got zip and the fan base is upset about the product that was on the ice since the big trade and season ticket holders are pissed.

The Sault wins this prize hands down!

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote