HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXIX)

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2012, 11:51 PM
ChemicalHansen

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Higgins looked as bad offensively as I've seen any player look for us. Now 'Nucks fans say that he MAKES their second line. WTF?
Lurking Canucks fan coming in peace.

For the record, Higgins has 5 goals in the last 6 games (including tonight). He's been one of our most consistent players all year in terms of defensive responsibility, forecheck, and overall effort. Things that have held him back (as one of your posters mentioned) have been weird injuries like foot infections.

It's too bad he left a sour taste on Rangers fans' tongues, because our top 9 would be lifeless without his presence. I'm also pretty sure we have a negative record without him in the line-up, but I don't have those numbers on me right now.

Good luck on the "race" for the President's trophy. The Rangers are definitely my choice to come out of the East, despite the fact that I think the Canucks don't match up well against them.

As a fan of the Canucks going back to '94, I want another shot.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:53 PM
SnowblindNYR

Holy ****. Mike Smith had 54 saves! How the **** do you allow 54 shots to the ****ing Columbus Blue Jackets? They lost their first 3 to them too. That Phoenix team is probably the 2nd weakest team in the playoffs behind Florida. Maybe even the weakest.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:55 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalHansen View Post

For the record, Higgins has had 5 goals in the last 6 games (including tonight). He's been one of our most consistent players all year in terms of defensive responsibility, forecheck, and overall effort. The only thing that's held him back (as one of your posters mentioned) by weird injuries like foot infections.

It's too bad he left a sour taste on Rangers fans tongues, because our top 9 would be lifeless without his presence. I'm also pretty sure we have a negative record without him in the line-up, but I don't have those numbers on me right now.
It's not that I don't believe Canucks fans when they say it. It's just so difficult to comprehend from a guy that made Brian Boyle look like Stamkos while he was here.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Quote:
I don't think that the President's Trophy is in the cards. Anaheim was one team that I thought could upset them. They were up 4-2 and choked away the lead. ****ing shootout. I hate it with the passion of a thousand burning suns. No way they lose either one of their last two. **** Anaheim!
I love that you're so confident the Rangers can win two games

Old
04-03-2012, 11:58 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory View Post
I love that you're so confident the Rangers can win two games
The Rangers haven't given me any confidence that they can beat the Pens this season. I felt the same way about the Habs, but the Habs suck and we dominated them on home ice.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:06 AM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
It's not that I don't believe Canucks fans when they say it. It's just so difficult to comprehend from a guy that made Brian Boyle look like Stamkos while he was here.
I understand.

Our board was pretty meh about the trade in the first place. Some of our local revisionists will say otherwise, but really, the only excitement generated by that trade was borne out of a "we did something today, yay" mindset. Hell, there were rumblings that Higgins wasn't even Gillis' first choice; they settled for him when the Panthers weren't yet willing to let go of Booth.

It's not like Calgary fans had much good to say about Higgins either. Something just clicked when he came here.

From what little I remember about Higgins' time with the Rangers, it seems like the pressure of playing in front of family and friends kind of wore him down as time went on. However, I can't say for sure what really caused him to lose his scoring touch at the prime of his career.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
The Rangers haven't given me any confidence that they can beat the Pens this season. I felt the same way about the Habs, but the Habs suck and we dominated them on home ice.

Idk about that, but I see the canucks easily going 2-0, and us easily not going 2-0. I originally wanted it badly, but im okay now.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Mike Smith is an absolute super hero. 54 save shutout. What a performance.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:17 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Mike Smith is an absolute super hero. 54 save shutout. What a performance.
Really got his career back on track. He's been BEASTLY with Phoenix. Tampa Bay is probably sick with now.

Whatever system they run does wonders for goalies, and Smith himself is proving he's not a slouch.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:19 AM
trilobyte

Quote:

For the record, Higgins has 5 goals in the last 6 games (including tonight). He's been one of our most consistent players all year in terms of defensive responsibility, forecheck, and overall effort. Things that have held him back (as one of your posters mentioned) have been weird injuries like foot infections.

It's too bad he left a sour taste on Rangers fans' tongues, because our top 9 would be lifeless without his presence. I'm also pretty sure we have a negative record without him in the line-up, but I don't have those numbers on me right now.

Good luck on the "race" for the President's trophy. The Rangers are definitely my choice to come out of the East, despite the fact that I think the Canucks don't match up well against them.

As a fan of the Canucks going back to '94, I want another shot.
It would be fantastic to see a Rangers - Canucks SCF.

As for Higgins, the guy is doing great. I watched him place a shot over a goalies shoulder a few games ago, a shot that very few players would make. He had another goal that game too.

This is the Higgins I saw playing with the Habs, and I wondered why his production dropped off.

No bad feelings from me about his stint with the Rangers. I'm happy that he is doing well, because he always busted his butt for NYR, I thought.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:22 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Holy ****. Mike Smith had 54 saves! How the **** do you allow 54 shots to the ****ing Columbus Blue Jackets? They lost their first 3 to them too. That Phoenix team is probably the 2nd weakest team in the playoffs behind Florida. Maybe even the weakest.
Phoenix may be the weakest team but they have the hottest goaltender.

I'm rooting for a Phoenix-Rangers final. Got tickets in both barns.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:28 AM
trilobyte

I remember figuring that a game against Tampa Bay with Mike Smith in the net was a guaranteed win (well, maybe not for NYR on some of their Florida trips a couple of years ago, har har) but he is really good. Consistently good.

Every year I wonder what the Coyotes will do. They have the team, they have the coach. Every year, I find the Western Conference fairly predictable, i.e. the Sharks will screw up and the Canucks will buckle.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:37 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I remember figuring that a game against Tampa Bay with Mike Smith in the net was a guaranteed win (well, maybe not for NYR on some of their Florida trips a couple of years ago, har har) but he is really good. Consistently good.

Every year I wonder what the Coyotes will do. They have the team, they have the coach. Every year, I find the Western Conference fairly predictable, i.e. the Sharks will screw up and the Canucks will buckle.
People forget about Smith's strong play for Dallas when he first came into the league. He went 24-14-2 over his first two seasons backing up Turco.

RANGERS =
Old
04-04-2012, 01:10 AM
pavelich

Quote:

I can't think of a Ranger as snakebit around the net as Higgins when he was here and I've been watching this team for 40 years. Nothing would go in for him. The effort was always there and I'm glad to see it's working out for him in Vancouver. Always great to see another NY'er doing the job in the NHL.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:19 AM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Higgstopher Criggins? I forgot all about that guy. He's actually having a good year, statistically.
He's been nothing but fantastic. His work-ethic is second to none, well, he has the same work-ethic as guys like Lapierre, Hansen etc, but yeah.

Quote:
Players change, and just overall play better with a new system and teammates. Higgins has the nickname of duct tape because any line that needs fixing, they put Higgins on that line and it's fixed (until he's gone again, it seems).

Old
04-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Higgins was a bucket of energy while he was here, just could never finish chances.

04-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Smith really screwed me over in my fantasy championship matchup.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:28 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Higgins was a bucket of energy while he was here, just could never finish chances.
The other night during the game I was driving to see my grandparents and listening to the game and Dave Maloney said that Chris Higgins could not concentrate on his game in NY. He kind of alluded to the fact that he was "living it up" as a Ranger near his hometown too much and needed a change of scenery.

Makes you wonder if Montreal was having similar issues with Chris in Montreal and were looking to deal him.....

Old
04-04-2012, 09:23 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Higgins needs to play with guys who can create offense for him. Otherwise, he's not going to produce anything. That was the problem with the Rangers, where there was no puck distributor for him to play with, and it was a problem in MTL when he was separated from Koivu.

He may not have worked as hard as he needed to in NY, but that's not why he wasn't scoring.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Cawlidge Hawkey
NCAA ** Juniors

Higgins was a great energy player for us and would be great on our third line right now. However, we got Prust for him so whatever.

Also, 18 OT losses for Florida right now. Definitely not a playoff team.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:41 AM
truebluegoalie

Didn't see this posted yesterday, thought it was pretty interesting:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392144

NHL SLAPS OILERS COACH RENNEY WITH $10,000 FINE
After the game, Renney suggested the Oilers didn't get more calls in their favour because "maybe they (NHL) need Hollywood in the playoffs."

Old
04-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post

After the game, Renney suggested the Oilers didn't get more calls in their favour because "maybe they (NHL) need Hollywood in the playoffs."
Clearly Renney has added some sandpaper to his coaching style, but he needs to be more cognizant of the consequences of his actions.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Anyone else this article in The Wall Street Journal about the Islanders basically erasing Pat LaFontaine from their history. Amazing story.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...RDS=lafontaine

04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post

What a clow... oh, wait.

That gum chewing, emotionless jerk

Obviously I wish Tom the best but the NHL seems to clamp down on anyone insinuating there is some sort of hidden agenda about the officiating.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Anyone else this article in The Wall Street Journal about the Islanders basically erasing Pat LaFontaine from their history. Amazing story.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...RDS=lafontaine
Just another piece in a long chain of embarrassing incompetency on the part of the Islanders. LaFontaine is simply a casualty of a situation that resulted in a Cup winning GM getting fired in about a month, a backup goalie replacing him to serve as a figurehead for the owner, and the starting goaltender getting signed for 15 years for no reason whatsoever.

Closed Thread