HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scrivens and Allaire (merged threads)

Old
04-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Hyperglide

vCash: 500
Allaire is resting on his laurels and has a system from a bygone dead puck era day. He is an old relic and the Leafs need to modernize.

Also imagine how awesome Roy would've been if Allaire didn't coach him LOL!

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Let him play some meaningful games first before anointing him the next saviour.

Did he look cool and calm? Sure. It also helps the team isn't playing for much right now and that they actually decided to show up last night (and Buffalo didn't).

It's an unfortunate set of circumstances for Scrivens as a Maple Leaf. He most certainly deserves an extended look somewhere, but the Leafs aren't likely to run with another inexperienced tandem next season. On the other hand, that likely means he's dealt to another team where he very well could turn into an NHL goalie (in some capacity). But he, like Reimer, probably need someone in front of them so they can ease into the starters role.

Can't really argue that he should have been given starts earlier in the year because the team (at a time) was running with Gustavsson's success. It just sucks that the season started to go south when it did. If it had happened earlier, perhaps more of an extended look would have been given to him.
I don't see Burke trading Scrivens. Burke has shown he is not overly eager to trade any assets he acquired. Plus I think he's going to be a little gunshy about goaltending after this year and will keep the system the way it is.

I expect a vet goalie this season to take some pressure off Reimer and let him ease back into his grove. The Wilson competition circus was a travesty and destroyed these guys. Scrivens will be doing call-up duty likely until the earliest TDD 2014 when the vet could be traded depending on how Reimer is progressing.

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemin41 View Post
How do you know if they can paly in the NHL unless you play them! Scrivens isn't a kid he's almost 26, how long can you wait with him? The team has tanked and there're no free agents this summer to fix this team I say play all the potential in the system next year and see what you have. I'm sick of all the talk about the future, the future is now guys like Scrivens, Kadri, Holzer, Colborne and Mueller we need to find out if they can play in the NHL if not start looking for new hope. Play the so-called future and see if they have one!!!!
How long did Boston wait with Tomas

Old
04-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Scrivens would be the veteran goalie....as he is two years older. You do not promote a player simply because you feel he has paid his dues.

We need a number one goalie not a number 2 and 3.....I like Scrivens I think he is better than Reimer, but we can not start the year with those two as our goalies unless we want to finish very low again.
Until Scrivens has a little slump and you blast him and say you've alwasy hated him!

Old
04-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Well the other thread killed this one

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:47 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
I don't see Burke trading Scrivens. Burke has shown he is not overly eager to trade any assets he acquired. Plus I think he's going to be a little gunshy about goaltending after this year and will keep the system the way it is.

I expect a vet goalie this season to take some pressure off Reimer and let him ease back into his grove. The Wilson competition circus was a travesty and destroyed these guys. Scrivens will be doing call-up duty likely until the earliest TDD 2014 when the vet could be traded depending on how Reimer is progressing.
Marin Skoula ( ), Versteeg, Beauchemin, Aulie, Joey MacDonald, Garnet Exelby...

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:56 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
How long did Boston wait with Tomas
Two years in the AHL (2002-03 and 2003-04), one in Europe during the lock-out and joined the Bruins permanently on Januray 9, 2006.

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:56 PM
shully
Night's Watch

Scrivens is older than Reimer...

shully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Allaire ruins our goalies. What Scrivens, some noname bum who is our 3rd string backup thinks of him as he's fighting for a job, is inconsequential.

I'd be interested in hearing what his former students say about him than his current.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:03 PM
UCLeafs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
We also had a coach who ran a run and gun style of play that resulted in a lot of defensive lapses? Not many goalies in the league could of put up amazing numbers playing behind that system.
Please. Our goalies blow.

UCLeafs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:05 PM
vanRiemsdyk21

The Bruins didn't didn't wait that long he was in their system for 3 years and one of those was the lock out before he got his shot and how many Tim Thomas' are there?

vanRiemsdyk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Leafs12232

Props to Allaire for claiming success off other athlete's backs. Hey, he's created an industry that he is the messiah of - "goalie coach"

More like he's weasle'd a quarter million salary out of an NHL franchise

Leafs12232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Allaire has been working with Scrivs the entire time he's been here!

You say you don't want Allaire messing him up?

You said he looked calm in ONE game?

Now he's the possible goalie of the future? Hell isn't ANYBODY a possible goalie of the future?

Jeez, I hate these kind of threads.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Darylman

I can't believe Allaire has only trained Roy, Giguere, Hiller and Bryzgalov into all star caliber goalies. What a bum. His style is clearly ancient and his time is over.

I mean, if you can't turn ROOKIE PROFESSIONAL GOALTENDERS into immediate elite allstar caliber conn smythe goaltenders, what good are you? What a bum.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
That is exactly right...we need a really veteran goalie and not an inexperienced one.....

As far as me being out to lunch well.... if you read my posts on this thread as well as the obvious sarcasm in the post you would understand just what I wrote.
Hmmmm....well, they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit...problem is, if this is indeed sarcasm on your part, it is absent of the wit element.

I guess thats what they make emoticons for...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Crabovski*

Do people seriously beleive Allaire screwed up Riemer...?

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Allaire ruins our goalies. What Scrivens, some noname bum who is our 3rd string backup thinks of him as he's fighting for a job, is inconsequential.

I'd be interested in hearing what his former students say about him than his current.
Yeah, like J.S. Giguere.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:17 PM
cleduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Allaire has been working with Scrivs the entire time he's been here!
In fact, Scrivens went to Allaire's summer camp before his last season in college. He gave a lot of credit to a great last season in college to Allaire's coaching that summer.

When Scrivens signed as a UFA, he said that Allaire being in Toronto was "a huge reason" for him signing with the Leafs. Without Allaire being here, there's a good chance UFA Scrivens would have signed elsewhere.

Quote:
New Leaf Jussi Rynnas off to winning start
http://www.thestar.com/mobile/sports/article/859954
The second thing that strikes you is the reason he came to the Maple Leafs.

“Because of Francois Allaire
, because he’s a good goalie coach,” said Rynnas prior to Saturday night’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks at a four-team rookie tournament. “I think I have the best chance (of making the NHL) with him.”

He’d never worked with Allaire; Allaire had never seen him play in person. It was Allaire’s reputation that was the difference-maker.

“In April, I was visiting North America, meeting some teams and they all said the same thing, that Francois Allaire was the best,” said Rynnas. “It was easy decision.”
Quote:
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/...service=mobile
Owuya knew when he signed with Toronto that he would start at the bottom end of the goalie depth chart. But he said he believed he would learn more with the Leafs.

“When I signed here there were a couple of other teams that I was talking to but the biggest reason for signing was Francois was here and that would help me,” said Owuya, who first met Allaire at a camp held in Switzerland prior to signing with Toronto.

“What I felt is that out of all the teams I could sign with, this was the one that could get me places. Here I knew for sure I could get to work with him and I for sure would be a better goalie.”
Gustavsson worked with Allaire during previous summers to his signing in Toronto as well. He and his agent cited Allaire as a key reason for signing with Toronto.

Quote:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1704761/
In both cases, Allaire was the key, as they found two pupils eager to spend time in the minors under his watch.

“This is all about Francois,” Burke said from the team's rookie tournament, where Rynnas started in a 6-3 win over the Chicago Blackhawks' prospects on Saturday night and Scrivens was in goal for a 2-1 loss on Sunday against the Pittsburgh Penguins' youngsters.

“The fact we have him on staff, that's why Ben Scrivens signed here, that's why Monster signed here and that's why The Bus signed here. It's not my charm, I know that.”

For the uninitiated, “The Bus” is Burke's pet name for Rynnas, a name stemming from his ability to park himself in front of and take up the entire net with his massive 6-foot-5, 205-pound frame.
Whether Allaire's coaching works or not (far more likely whether these goalies turn out to be any good or not based upon their own effort & ability), the majority of these goalie prospects have all sung the same tune and wouldn't be here if Allaire wasn't around when they signed. Period.

cleduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Dr Swag
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shully View Post
Scrivens is older than Reimer...
Tim Thomas got good in his 30s.

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:15 PM
mapleleaf1389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemin41 View Post
The Bruins didn't didn't wait that long he was in their system for 3 years and one of those was the lock out before he got his shot and how many Tim Thomas' are there?
This is not entirely accurate. Thomas played four years in the NCAA with Vermont, then spent part of the 97/98 season in the ECHL/IHL/Finland. He joined the Hamilton Bulldogs for part of the 98/99 season but ended up back in Finland. He played another year in the IHL in Detroit before going into the Swedish Elite League for the 2000/2001 season. He made his another venture in Europe playing for Karpat, when he began to play for the Providence Bruins. He then spent the next season split between Providence and Europe, and the next three years between Providence and Boston. In 2005/2006, he began the season in Providence, took over for the Bruins mid season and has been the starter since. This is 13 years of development starting with his time in NCAA, and he was 31 years old before becoming a regular starter

mapleleaf1389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf1389 View Post
This is not entirely accurate. Thomas played four years in the NCAA with Vermont, then spent part of the 97/98 season in the ECHL/IHL/Finland. He joined the Hamilton Bulldogs for part of the 98/99 season but ended up back in Finland. He played another year in the IHL in Detroit before going into the Swedish Elite League for the 2000/2001 season. He made his another venture in Europe playing for Karpat, when he began to play for the Providence Bruins. He then spent the next season split between Providence and Europe, and the next three years between Providence and Boston. In 2005/2006, he began the season in Providence, took over for the Bruins mid season and has been the starter since. This is 13 years of development starting with his time in NCAA, and he was 31 years old before becoming a regular starter
He also then lost the starting job to Tukka Rask and was reportedly available to any team that would take his contract two summers ago, before sitting on a magic horseshoe and turning in one of the greatest goaltending seasons of all time.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

I say we run with Scrivens and Reimer. MacKinnon would sure look great in a Leafs jersey.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyJoffreyLupul View Post
we should try a scrivens reimer tandem and see how it goes, if the goaltending is still shakey then we should trade one and acquire a vet.
This is exactly what Burke was doing this year with Gus and Reimer. There is absolutely no way he tries this again.

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote