HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 79 | Florida Panthers @ Detroit Red Wings | 4:00 PM EST |FSD (HD)|NHLN

Old
04-01-2012, 08:44 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post

But right now the problem isn't Franzen or Bert, it's Datsyuk. He isn't creating anything right now like he usually does. I just hope he finds his mojo for game 1.

This has happened the past few years and everyone blames everyone else. Datsyuk isn't playing anywhere close to the level he normally does.

No, Datsyuk is two levels below where he needs to be.
But it doesn't change the fact that Franzen doesn't work with him.

Watch for it.
Start watching what happens when Franzen gains the zone. He never stops. He tries the one-on-one and fails. Or he shoots.
He never stops/curls to see who is open. He rarely looks for the late guy on the rush. He's playing really, really selfish hockey.

I think it's unreasonable to expect Datsyuk to play at the level he was at during last year's playoffs. Especially when he doesn't seem able to make those quick turns and find that quick burst.

I think he'll find another gear. But I don't know if he's going to get to his peak in time.

But even if he doesn't, you've got to give him linemates who suit his game, if you can.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
But even if he doesn't, you've got to give him linemates who suit his game, if you can.
Not sure if that's possible. Datsyuk has had good chemistry with 3 wingers in his career, Hull, Holmstrom and Zetterberg. Hossa had a great season but he never meshed with Datsyuk. Franzen and him have gone on some nice tears together, but Franzen isn't a prototypical sniper. Hudler is way too slow and doesn't shoot the puck.

Datsyuk just needs players who can get a bit open and are decent defensively. If they can skate, that's a bonus.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:51 PM
bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Seriously hope the little kid waving there belongs to another party.
LOL didn't even notice him til' now

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Datsyuk works well with Bert. If only Bert shot more and played like he does when he's pissed off more often.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:54 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
I'd like to put Franzen with Z and Fil to get him going, but I don't know if Babcock will do that. I do not want Hudler on a 1st line with Datsyuk and Nyquist, I really don't want Hudler in the top 6 in the playoffs, period. Cleary has had a really lame season, but I'd like to see him get a chance in the top 6 one more time. He's had some really warrior like playoffs in the past and maybe he can do it again.

I'm still not worried about Franzen in the playoffs yet, we'll see what happens.
Well, you're sadly still hater mode with Hudler, despite his 25 goals and continued good play.
Cleary doesn't have the ability to play at a high level. He doesn't have the skill to get it done at his reduced rate of speed.

I don't worry about about a Nyquist-Datsyuk-Hudler line, but I know Babs won't arrive at that for awhile. If a slower skating Zetterberg can go with Flip/Hudler, I think Datsyuk can handle a Nyquist/Hudler.

Old
04-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
So? Does the coach always get it right?
I didn't pin it totally on Ericsson.
You're dead wrong when you say Ericsson had his man covered. He didn't cover anyone
You can't blame that totally on Emmerton either. Who did Ericsson cover on that goal? Nobody. So, maybe Emmerton should have dropped over to the boards to cover the guy on the boards and leave Ericsson to take the guy who eventually got the puck.

I'm not an Ericsson hater. I don't think he earned his contract. That's it.
No, you're dead wrong. (See, I can do that too).
Ericsson covered it right. Emmerton blew his assignment. If Ericsson were covering the shooter, he would've been waaaay out of position.

Quote:
I've listed reasons why I think Kindl is as good or better than Q.

All you do is keep repeating that he's better than Kindl.

Players are often a product of their role.

Bert was brutal on line 3. Put him with Datsyuk, and he salvaged his season and earned a two year deal.

Hudler was crap in a 3rd/4th line role last year. He's good in his role this year.

Quincey is what he is because he played for teams that had young, inexperienced defenses, so he got top 4/top 2 minutes.

You're going to get your points in those situations.

But watching Q, there's very little to like about his game. He's got some speed. He's got a nice shot. But he's a freakin' nightmare, in terms of positional defense,

I think today watching them side-by-side, you could see quite clearly that Kindl was the better of the two in their limited roles.
Actually I listed how. Just because you're ignoring it or disagree doesn't mean I haven't said it.

I'm no Quincey fan and I definitely didn't like giving up a 1st round pick for a guy we lost to waivers, but you seem to put Kindl ahead of him because of potential. I'm watching what actually happens on the ice. And right now Quincey is better.

I don't see how your Bertuzzi and Hudler analogies have any usefulness regarding Kindl and Q.

I've explained why Kindl isn't better yet. He plays cushy soft, loses puck battles in the corners, doesn't utilize his first pass as much as he should and instead gives the puck right back to the opponent by chipping up the glass when he doesn't need to.

Yes, he has potential. I'm hoping he lives up to it. It would be a great problem for Detroit to have if they have too many young D men signed.

Quote:
Man love? Friend, I think Kindl has potential to be a solid top 4 defenseman. I think he's serviceable as a top 6er right now. I think he's safer and less likely to be out of position.

That's man love to you?
I'd say he has potential to be solid middle pairing. The man love comes from your overrating his level of play right now.

Quote:
Let's put Kindl out there for PP on a regular basis. I see what I see with Kindl's shot. Good, low shot, usually on target.
Not so much on target but I've always preferred Kindl's slapper to E's. He at least usually gets it deep. Nothing special but could be effective.

Quote:
He made several really good, passes with nice touch today. Perfect for guys like Hudler/Flip/Zettterberg and Datsyuk.
Disagree. He did nothing out of the ordinary and made no memorable passes requiring any special touch.

Quote:
I don't think so. I saw Kindl skate the puck from his own zone, through the neutral ice, and into the offensive zone 3 times today, maintaining possession each time. Each time at even strength.
Disagree. I was with you up until the maintaining possession part. He turned it over at least two of the three times, if not all three. Right at the blueline. He was starting to look like Lebda out there. I like that he's trying to stretch his legs a bit, but he was not successful at rushes up ice today. As soon as someone stood him up at the blueline he turned it over or made a panicked pass that led to a turnover.

Quote:
Ah, OK. How many penalties has Kindl taken within seconds after a huge tying goal in the third period?
Kindl has three times more penalty minutes than most of our defenseman

And I'm not just talking about PIMs.
I'm talking about when to jump and when to stay. I'm talking about the way you react to a two-on-one.

For a guy with a couple hundred NHL games under his belt, Quincey is startlingly stupid.

But Quincey doesn't play that physical. More than Kindl, for sure. A penalty like tonight's might be acceptable if he was a guy who always played with edge. But he doesn't.
How exactly do you think Q takes those penalties? playing overly physical. Compared to Kindl he's like Chara out there. I agree Q doesn't have the greatest hockey sense. His jumping up at Kopecky was idiotic. But Kindl hasn't been asked to do as much so it's hard for me to say his hockey IQ is better yet.

Quote:
That's my main criticism of him too.
But he's an offensive defenseman.
Smith is an offensive defenseman. Honestly I think Kindl could be a guy who plays PP and PK, but I wouldn't call him an offensive D man, like a Rafalski or anything.

Quote:
Well, Lidstrom is pretty soft. Kronwall, outside of open ice hitting, is soft. White is soft.

But yeah, I accept that Kindl is soft. But I don't think Quincey adds much "grit" to the lineup.
Lids plays smart, and may not put guys faces in the glass, but he's physical. I agree that none of the guys you listed are particularly physical but Kindl is softer than all of them, and at his size he should be.

Quote:
I simply don't see this at all. I thought he moved the puck efficiently today.

Don't agree with this. Don't see this much.
You might see it more with your 3/4 lines on the ice.
But when skill guys are on, Kindl seems to wait and look to make a play.
He was adequate, but opts to go up the glass too often. For someone you consider an offensive D man, he can't even match Ericsson's first pass.
Quote:
?
Total BS.
Quincey is a marginal NHL defenseman in the mold of Andy Delmore.
Quincey of one of those guys who can play for you on your third pairing and 2nd PP unit. But not at $3M+ a year. We got hosed with this deal.
Q doesn't belong on a second pairing. And I don't think he belongs on our third pairing.
Kindl isn't living up to his first pairing potential, but nobody has thought that about him for a long time. Kindl is an adequate third pairing guy and he's only going to get better.

And I just want to say I'm glad that Babcock has the stones to bench Quincey and White, two NHL Vets who've played like garbage, and make them compete for their job.

Babcock is resting guys for the playoffs. He even said not to read anything into it.

Kindl couldn't keep his job over Mike friggin Commodore. I think you're understating how disappointed the Wings are in his development so far.

Q has actually proven himself to be an adequate middle pairing guy. Hell he was even top pairing in Colorado. But you deny that? He's actually done it.

Meanwhile Kindl hasn't shown anything special but you're putting him over a guy who has actually played those roles. So it's comparing actual game play to a hypothetical. Of course Kindl will win that comparison in your mind, because it's fictional.

I hope Kindl does develop, but right now you're overrating him based on potential.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:57 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Not sure if that's possible. Datsyuk has had good chemistry with 3 wingers in his career, Hull, Holmstrom and Zetterberg. Hossa had a great season but he never meshed with Datsyuk. Franzen and him have gone on some nice tears together, but Franzen isn't a prototypical sniper. Hudler is way too slow and doesn't shoot the puck.

Datsyuk just needs players who can get a bit open and are decent defensively. If they can skate, that's a bonus.
LOL
three guys?
Datsyuk has shown great chemistry with Flip and Hudler, too.

Datsyuk plays well with players who pass the puck and with players who have patience.

I think Nyquist-Datsyuk-Hudler could work, with Hudler filling the same kind of roll that he fills now on his current line.

Old
04-01-2012, 08:59 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
No, you're dead wrong. (See, I can do that too).
Ericsson covered it right. Emmerton blew his assignment. If Ericsson were covering the shooter, he would've been waaaay out of position.

Actually I listed how. Just because you're ignoring it or disagree doesn't mean I haven't said it.

I'm no Quincey fan and I definitely didn't like giving up a 1st round pick for a guy we lost to waivers, but you seem to put Kindl ahead of him because of potential. I'm watching what actually happens on the ice. And right now Quincey is better.

I don't see how your Bertuzzi and Hudler analogies have any usefulness regarding Kindl and Q.

I've explained why Kindl isn't better yet. He plays cushy soft, loses puck battles in the corners, doesn't utilize his first pass as much as he should and instead gives the puck right back to the opponent by chipping up the glass when he doesn't need to.

Yes, he has potential. I'm hoping he lives up to it. It would be a great problem for Detroit to have if they have too many young D men signed.

I'd say he has potential to be solid middle pairing. The man love comes from your overrating his level of play right now.

Not so much on target but I've always preferred Kindl's slapper to E's. He at least usually gets it deep. Nothing special but could be effective.

Disagree. He did nothing out of the ordinary and made no memorable passes requiring any special touch.

Disagree. I was with you up until the maintaining possession part. He turned it over at least two of the three times, if not all three. Right at the blueline. He was starting to look like Lebda out there. I like that he's trying to stretch his legs a bit, but he was not successful at rushes up ice today. As soon as someone stood him up at the blueline he turned it over or made a panicked pass that led to a turnover.

How exactly do you think Q takes those penalties? playing overly physical. Compared to Kindl he's like Chara out there. I agree Q doesn't have the greatest hockey sense. His jumping up at Kopecky was idiotic. But Kindl hasn't been asked to do as much so it's hard for me to say his hockey IQ is better yet.

Smith is an offensive defenseman. Honestly I think Kindl could be a guy who plays PP and PK, but I wouldn't call him an offensive D man, like a Rafalski or anything.

Lids plays smart, and may not put guys faces in the glass, but he's physical. I agree that none of the guys you listed are particularly physical but Kindl is softer than all of them, and at his size he should be.

He was adequate, but opts to go up the glass too often. For someone you consider an offensive D man, he can't even match Ericsson's first pass.

Babcock is resting guys for the playoffs. He even said not to read anything into it.

Kindl couldn't keep his job over Mike friggin Commodore. I think you're understating how disappointed the Wings are in his development so far.

Q has actually proven himself to be an adequate middle pairing guy. Hell he was even top pairing in Colorado. But you deny that? He's actually done it.

Meanwhile Kindl hasn't shown anything special but you're putting him over a guy who has actually played those roles. So it's comparing actual game play to a hypothetical. Of course Kindl will win that comparison in your mind, because it's fictional.

I hope Kindl does develop, but right now you're overrating him based on potential.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you don't even believe half the garbage you just spewed. At least I hope so.
Go troll someone else.

Old
04-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Nyquist is exactly what Datsyuk needs. This I agree with.

It's a shame nobody was selling snipers at the deadline, because this team could really use another one to make 3 scoring lines.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
He was fine on Florida's only goal and played it as he should have. He had his area and his man covered. Emmerton missed his assignment on the backcheck, leaving him wide open for the goal.

But naturally you'd pin it on Ericsson.
Yeah that was a shot that a good NHL goaltender stops 998 times out of 1000. I don't blame any of the skaters, that's a shot Howard will tell you he should have stopped. Other than that the team played well in front of him, I don't recall Jimmy being asked to stand on his head, maybe 1 or 2 odd man rushes where he made nice saves. Like I said earlier, this game was a move in the right direction but we'll have a better feel for the team over the next three games.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:12 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Nyquist is exactly what Datsyuk needs. This I agree with.

It's a shame nobody was selling snipers at the deadline, because this team could really use another one to make 3 scoring lines.
Kostytsin was available
Not a sniper, but a pretty good offensive talent.

If we're waiting for the next Hull, we're going to wait a long time.
What you need to find are players who have playmaker's patience.

Old
04-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Well, you're sadly still hater mode with Hudler, despite his 25 goals and continued good play.
Cleary doesn't have the ability to play at a high level. He doesn't have the skill to get it done at his reduced rate of speed.

I don't worry about about a Nyquist-Datsyuk-Hudler line, but I know Babs won't arrive at that for awhile. If a slower skating Zetterberg can go with Flip/Hudler, I think Datsyuk can handle a Nyquist/Hudler.
Nothing to do with hate, I don't hate Hudler, he's having a really good season. I've never really hated him (no one liked him last year) I've just always believed that during crunch time his abilities shrink against top competition.

My problem with Hudler is that he's slow, easy to knock of the puck and he's a passenger. He doesn't shoot the puck and neither does Nyquist... yet. That doesn't bode well or Datsyuk. In fact, putting that line out there hurts Z's line, because Babcock has to tax Fil and Z so much to go against the top competition.

Quote:
LOL
three guys?
Datsyuk has shown great chemistry with Flip and Hudler, too.

Datsyuk plays well with players who pass the puck and with players who have patience.

I think Nyquist-Datsyuk-Hudler could work, with Hudler filling the same kind of roll that he fills now on his current line.
Forgot about Fil and Datsyuk, that's the 4th guy and that's really it. It has nothing to do with chemistry for the reason Datsyuk and Hudler won't work in the playoffs, it's genetics. Holmstrom couldn't skate, but he battled harder than anyone on the team. Hudler battles against big guys all the time, but he also gets destroyed along the boards and if we're lucky he'll shoot the puck twice a night. His shooting % is 20%, that's unreal. Imagine if he had 200-250 shots per year? Instead of 120.

Hudler needs to stay with Z and Fil if he's staying in the top 6. I'd rather see Franzen there for a few games but it's all about playing well from here on out so that won't happen.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Kostytsin was available
Not a sniper, but a pretty good offensive talent.

If we're waiting for the next Hull, we're going to wait a long time.
What you need to find are players who have playmaker's patience.
God, no, not AK. And again, for the 10th time, he's only good with his brother. Montreal couldn't wait to ship him out. Lucky break for Nashville.

There's a pretty big list of players between AK and Brett Hull. Let's not go to the extremes here.

Old
04-01-2012, 09:23 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
God, no, not AK. And again, for the 10th time, he's only good with his brother. Montreal couldn't wait to ship him out. Lucky break for Nashville.

There's a pretty big list of players between AK and Brett Hull. Let's not go to the extremes here.
Don't buy it.

Old
04-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Don't buy it.
Well, Montreal did. They had both brothers and didn't accomplish a damn thing.

Now that they are on Nashville I'm supposed to buy they are this offensive talent. Meh. I'd rather have two Hudlers.

Old
04-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

Quote:

Now that they are on Nashville I'm supposed to buy they are this offensive talent. Meh. I'd rather have two Hudlers.
To think of the ramifications of that on this board...

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:44 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

So?
Montreal had a lot of issues. In fact, I think having the brothers on the same team, based on what I read about the problems they had in Montreal, might be the worst thing for those guys.
AKs best season came in 07-08 (26-27-53) when SK scored just 27 points. So I don't buy that AK needs the other guy.

Even last year, he only had 20G 45P, but that was two points away from being second on the team.

AK isn't a superstar. But he's a playmaker. And that's what Datsyuk needs. Someone to play catch. Someone who can play patiently and make passes.

But a lot of people are going to ***** on every move that Holland didn't make because they they're too invested in all these arguments...

After all, if you spent all offseason saying everyone was too expensive, so Holland was wise to stay out, ... and then on Jan 1, someone posts a lists of all the great bargains that were actually had during the offseason... well, you either have to admit your were wrong and Holland was wrong, or you have to find some BS reason to ***** on every player on the list.

It's the same thing for people who want to defending Holland's performance at the trade deadline.

There for, AK would be crap if he was on Detroit

Old
04-02-2012, 01:39 AM
angularcrayon19
It's The System

Am I the only person who thinks that Pavel didn't play that badly today or even the past couple of games. I feel that Franzen is weighing the line down for sure, hopefully his form improves over the next couple of games.

Quite frankly, Zetterberg looked tired this game. He made several glaring errors late in the game.

Kindl needs to stop rushing the puck up on the 2nd PP unit. He constantly skates to their blue line and turns it over. Make a hard first pass or do the not-so-patented drop pass to a rushing Fil.

angularcrayon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:18 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
He was fine on Florida's only goal and played it as he should have. He had his area and his man covered. Emmerton missed his assignment on the backcheck, leaving him wide open for the goal.

But naturally you'd pin it on Ericsson.
It was absolutely Emmerton's fault. For the second time in two games, he was watching the puck and failed to track the opposing player coming from behind him.

And you know how much I like Ericsson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Yeah that was a shot that a good NHL goaltender stops 998 times out of 1000. I don't blame any of the skaters, that's a shot Howard will tell you he should have stopped.
Not necessarily. He had to come all the way across the net. Emmerton massively blew coverage there. I can't wait until Helm returns; in addition to what he brings to the lineup, he'll also bump Emmerton out.

I think it's safe to say that Emmerton has played himself off the team in the second half of this season. There's precisely nothing at all that's special about him, and he'll almost undoubtedly be waived once next season comes around.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:02 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Emmerton has really sucked the past couple of games. Given his terrible defensive efforts, which is supposed to be his biggest strength, and the reason why Babs loves him, why is he still in the line-up? He's so lucky Helm is out, because being a centre is the only thing keeping him in the line-up. Mursak sits so Cory can stink up the joint, becase he's a C...

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:03 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
After all, if you spent all offseason saying everyone was too expensive, so Holland was wise to stay out, ... and then on Jan 1, someone posts a lists of all the great bargains that were actually had during the offseason... well, you either have to admit your were wrong and Holland was wrong, or you have to find some BS reason to ***** on every player on the list.
AK would be a marginal move and I think it's only smart for Nashville because they reunite the brothers away from the drama they had in Montreal. A lucky break, as I said. If Detroit could have reunited them in the same fashion, then maybe.

And if we want to look back in hindsight, which is fun... RYDER. That's the guy they should have got. A pure sniper coming off a huge playoffs. And he continued that success by potting 35 goals this year and 62 points. Having another sniper like him on the team would have been HUGE for the Wings. And he only makes $3.5 million for 2 years. That's a bargain.

So there was a gem to be found, but nobody really wanted that gem but Dallas. Drat.

Old
04-02-2012, 06:24 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladdy16 View Post
I thought Kindl looked great today, especially in the first period. He was still terrible on the PP, but who cares cuz he's not gonna play there in the playoffs.

I hope Nyquist can hang in in the playoffs, cuz it looks like we need him.

Was happy to see the Zetterberg line stick with it. They were neutralized through the first two, but they were great in the 3rd. Hudler stepped up and we needed him to. He stayed on the ice and patted everybody after the loss to Nashville, then stepped up in the next game and contributed towards the psychological edge of hopefully going in with home ice. That's good secondary leadership.

We're gonna have to gut it out til Helm gets back, cuz the bottom 6 is awful without him. But if we can make it that far, this last stretch will be a distant memory.

With the Quincy suspension, I'd still like to see the D rotate through the final games, I see no reason why Smith shouldn't be grouped in with the others.
I was not sure what my opinion on Hudler was, but now I am leaning towards that he is a good player. Last night game showed me how he really wanted to make something happen. And he did. That play is exactly what the Wings have to do. Play more high procentage plays indstead of cute plays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So what, we think Franzen is just waiting for the playoffs? Taking the last quarter of the season off? Really? That's the positive scenario?

And you know, we were here already last year. At this point it doesn't even matter anymore what the explanation is, if he's again battling an injury that makes him ineffective, we're looking at an injury-prone guy who can give us maybe 50 games a year at 100% with a "serious contract", if he's mailing it in we're stuck with a guy who doesn't have the energy or willpower to give effort throughout the season.
It does matter what expectations are, cause people want Franzen to be a 50 goal scorer. People do not realise that the Western conference has become all defence at any price and the goals are hard to come by.
Quote:
Franzen needs to be the third line winger with Abs or Helm or whover.
He's a turnover machine. If he has the puck, he skates in and either tries to do everything himself before losing it, or he takes a low percentage wrist shot.
He passed in the offensive zone once all day, that I remember -- to Nyquist at the blueline.

Datsyuk needs to play with guys who have patience.
And since Flip and Hudler are working with Zetterberg, there's no reason to break that up.

But Franzen + Datsyuk is a waste of Datsyuk.

Nyquist Datsyuk Bertuzzi
Flip Zetterberg Hudler
Cleary Abdelkader Franzen
Franzen makes a mistake that he holds onto the puck way too long. Datsyuk is the center on that line and he has to have the puck. Franzen makes the same mistake as Cleary, Samualson ... he does not give the puck quick enough to Datsyuk.
Quote:
Bertuzzi is worse on the 1st line than Franzen right now. Your description of Franzen is basically the same of Bert but Bertuzzi takes terrible penalties and has a horrible reputation. Get him away from any high end talent from the opposition. I'd rather it be Nyquist - Datsyuk - Cleary, at least it'll be safe.

But right now the problem isn't Franzen or Bert, it's Datsyuk. He isn't creating anything right now like he usually does. I just hope he finds his mojo for game 1.

This has happened the past few years and everyone blames everyone else. Datsyuk isn't playing anywhere close to the level he normally does.
Good point, Datyuk should adjust a little bit, try to get open and shoot more. Datsyuk has a great shot, he can let Franzen, from time to time, to carry the puck and then get open himself to shoot the puck.
It might be they struggle to play together now as they both were injured.
Quote:
No, Datsyuk is two levels below where he needs to be.
But it doesn't change the fact that Franzen doesn't work with him.

Watch for it.
Start watching what happens when Franzen gains the zone. He never stops. He tries the one-on-one and fails. Or he shoots.
He never stops/curls to see who is open. He rarely looks for the late guy on the rush. He's playing really, really selfish hockey.

I think it's unreasonable to expect Datsyuk to play at the level he was at during last year's playoffs. Especially when he doesn't seem able to make those quick turns and find that quick burst.

I think he'll find another gear. But I don't know if he's going to get to his peak in time.

I do not think Babcock will play Nyquist and Hudler with Datsyuk. But he could do it for 2-3 shifts and see what happens. But Babcock is very stubborn.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:32 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by angularcrayon19 View Post
Am I the only person who thinks that Pavel didn't play that badly today or even the past couple of games. I feel that Franzen is weighing the line down for sure, hopefully his form improves over the next couple of games.

Quite frankly, Zetterberg looked tired this game. He made several glaring errors late in the game.

Kindl needs to stop rushing the puck up on the 2nd PP unit. He constantly skates to their blue line and turns it over. Make a hard first pass or do the not-so-patented drop pass to a rushing Fil.
I thought Datsyuk was brutal vs the Preds.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:51 AM
angularcrayon19
It's The System

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
I thought Datsyuk was brutal vs the Preds.
Frankly the whole team was. That's, IMO, a must win game not for the standings but just simply beating a likely playoff opponent and putting doubt in their minds.

angularcrayon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:13 AM
FlashyG

Quote:

And I just want to say I'm glad that Babcock has the stones to bench Quincey and White, two NHL Vets who've played like garbage, and make them compete for their job.
He also "Benched" Kindl as part of the rotation as well, are you as glad about that one?

I really don't think there is any competition going on at all other than Kindl trying to play his way into the line-up and Quincey apparently doing everything in his power to play his way out.

at the idea of White competing for his job, even though he's had a rough couple of weeks, he's going to be in the line-up for the playoffs as surely as Cleary will.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote