HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 79 | Florida Panthers @ Detroit Red Wings | 4:00 PM EST |FSD (HD)|NHLN

Old
04-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
I think you're overrating Datsyuk a bit too, he's not as offensive as crosby/malkin.
Malkin has been on another level this season. And the way Malkin plays the game, well, he completely dominates when he charges down the ice.

This isn't a slight on Datsyuk, who is incredible in his own way, but Malkin has been the league MVP by a country mile.

I've seen the argument a few times when people say Datsyuk is the best passer in the league... completely forgetting the half dozen guys that beat him in assists year after year after year. Datsyuk has the most balanced and exciting game in the NHL, but he's not a lock for the best at everything. And just because you play on his wing doesn't mean you're going to guarentee 30 goals.

Look at the numbers of the guys that have played on Crosby and Malkin's wing. Until this year, none of them were big goal scorers. In fact, in the 2009 cup run I don't think one guy broke 30 goals. That's incredible. And that's a credit to Neal.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:01 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
People wanted to trade Zetterberg all season before it was known that Z had an ankle injury that was hampering him. Now we've seen that since his injury is behind him he's back to his dominant form.

Players don't go from being super dominant to crappy (even though stats wise Franzen has had a decent season.) Something is going on.
Zetterberg has not returned to dominant form.
He's putting up points. But he's not "dominating" like he did 4/5 years ago

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Yeah I wouldn't say dominating, but he's been great. He's now 22nd in scoring which is hard to believe considering his rough start.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Zetterberg had two seasons in which he could be considered top ten in the league. These were '06-'07 and '07-'08. Datsyuk did not meet that qualification at the time. Now the two have switched places in that regard.

Zetterberg is nevertheless a very good player and a team leader. I would certainly love to see he and Datsyuk be two of the three Selke finalists again, though. That was awesome.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:28 AM
8snake

Hold on...Datsyuk had 97 points and won the Selke in '08. The year before he had 87 points. Those arent top 10 years?

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:14 PM
DarkReign

Quote:
And I just want to say I'm glad that Babcock has the stones to bench Quincey and White, two NHL Vets who've played like garbage, and make them compete for their job.
Didnt watch any of the past 2 games interviews before and after the game I see.

Maybe its because of Qunicey's answer in his interview about "not wanting to sit anymore" that threw you off, but to be honest, I think Quincey's answer in that interview shows how completely dumb he really is.

Babcock is resting every defensemen once in the last few games. Q was first, now White, someone will sit Wednesday, etc. He specifically stated it had nothing to do with anything, simply a day off for each guy before the playoffs (obviously Kindl, E and Smith will not be in the rotation...theyve all had more than enough time off).

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
He's still dominating shifts now, maybe not as well as 4/5 years ago where he could be considered a top 5 player. But he's been our best forward for a long time.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
Zetterberg had two seasons in which he could be considered top ten in the league. These were '06-'07 and '07-'08. Datsyuk did not meet that qualification at the time. Now the two have switched places in that regard.

Zetterberg is nevertheless a very good player and a team leader. I would certainly love to see he and Datsyuk be two of the three Selke finalists again, though. That was awesome.
Unfortunately Zetterberg isn't popular enough at the moment. That's how some guys get nominated for awards. Obvious picks exist, like Lidstrom for Norris, Datsyuk for Selke/Byng, etc. Though the nominees most of the time reek of just being the flavor of the month in their category. Kesler's good defensively and so is Staal but they were the popular picks because I'm willing to bet the voters don't sit there watching every player so they go with the guy who everyone else is talking about, mostly because of silly stuff like faceoff percentage and PK. There's more to it than that. A guy like Flip not ever being nominated for the Selke is an utter travesty. I couldn't care less about stats, when I watch Flip I see a guy who is a nightmare to play against for opposing forwards trying to do anything in the neutral zone or in our zone. The Selke's kinda turned into the "great forward who happens to play good D too" award.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:57 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post

wait what?

Datsyuk wasn't a top 10 player when he finished 4th in the league in points and won the Selke in 07-08?

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote