HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rebuild? Year 1? I think not

Old
04-01-2012, 01:22 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

vCash: 500
Rebuild? Year 1? I think not

Its been a great season, we have seen the arrival and development of a new elite player on our team. That doesn’t happen every year.

But again, I really want to object to the characterization that this is year 1 of the rebuild. Not only do I think it is not year one, I don’t think its even a rebuild in the traditional sense either. I’m not convinced we have correctly analyzed and characterized the team building strategy and where we are in it, and surely this is a bad thing.

The most elite talent we had ever accumulated at one time was surely during the lockout. That was 'peak-talent' for the Sens. It took many years of shunning big ufa’s and instead drafting and developing our players young and cheaply to get there, one new elite player each year until suddenly our young $40 mil team was putting the fear of Dog into $60 and $70 mil teams.

And then came the salary cap.

So then we lost young Hossa along with de Vries in year 1. Luckily, Heatley made his first crybaby demand that year too so we got a lucky break to start us on our cap forced trade journey.
Then we lost a young Havlat for peanuts to a big market in a cap forced trade.
Chara walked for nothing to a big market in an easy to criticize cap forced decision, but still cap forced.
Two of our top RFA’s got priced out of our cap space in Mesz and Vermette forcing trades.
Redden signed away by a large market.
Heatley pulled his 2nd crybaby routine and forced his way out to one of two large markets only.
Volchenkov walked for nothing to a large market.

8 elite Sens gone because of the salary cap designed to save us from losing one elite talent in Yashin the previous decade.

Then, we traded Fisher and Kelly at the deadline and all of a sudden we decide the rebuild begins??? You cant be serious?

The reason this alleged Year 1 of the alleged rebuild appears so successful is because it is really year 4 or 5 of the cap forced dismantling and now renewal from within from the draft picks of the last 4 or 5 years which are finally ready to allow us to seem to rebuild in year 1.

Otherwise, as many have argued, we have already replaced Fisher and Kelly, so the rebuild is over. We have already attained that lofty goal.

But of course that is silly, no one thinks we are rebuilding back up to where we were last year with Fisher and Kelly. We are thinking of rebuilding back to the glorious heights we had before the salary cap came in and forced the annual cap dumping of elite players off our team. And this is surely not year 1 of that process. And to suggest it I think belies the difficulty of truly following such a strategy.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Caeldan

I don't think anyone at all is saying the rebuild is over.

And this would be the first year of a rebuild considering we dumped a large part of what was previously considered our core (ie Fisher and Kelly), not sure what else you'd call it.

Basically the transition happened with Murray - starting to restock the cupboards which Muckler left dry, now we can focus on rebuilding and hopefully keep a solid foundation with the cornerstone now in place.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:34 PM
benjiv1

Murray has said it's a 3 year plan.

I think we can expect the Murrays to acquire as many first round picks as possible over the next couple seasons. Additionally, I think you will see the team trading some of the older players towards he end of their deals. (Gonchar, Phillips)

With that being said, I expect BM to very aggressive in the off season this year with it being Alfies last year on contract.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Caeldan

nm...

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:50 PM
H2O

Good read, and you made some very good points. I think Rebuild Year 1 has to do with a new direction and focus on building a new core of the team for the future, changing of the guards so to speak. That's why Fisher and Kelly's departure signals a "Rebuild" as they were part of the previous core. We've heard many times that this is a 3 year plan. In 3 years, Spezza's contract is up and there is no contract that exceeds 3 years at the moment. This is an opportunity to build a new core of the team that will hopefully contend as early as 3 years from now. Core member #1 is Karlsson obviously.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:56 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
Its been a great season, we have seen the arrival and development of a new elite player on our team. That doesn’t happen every year.

But again, I really want to object to the characterization that this is year 1 of the rebuild. Not only do I think it is not year one, I don’t think its even a rebuild in the traditional sense either. I’m not convinced we have correctly analyzed and characterized the team building strategy and where we are in it, and surely this is a bad thing.

The most elite talent we had ever accumulated at one time was surely during the lockout. That was 'peak-talent' for the Sens. It took many years of shunning big ufa’s and instead drafting and developing our players young and cheaply to get there, one new elite player each year until suddenly our young $40 mil team was putting the fear of Dog into $60 and $70 mil teams.

And then came the salary cap.

So then we lost young Hossa along with de Vries in year 1. Luckily, Heatley made his first crybaby demand that year too so we got a lucky break to start us on our cap forced trade journey.
Then we lost a young Havlat for peanuts to a big market in a cap forced trade.
Chara walked for nothing to a big market in an easy to criticize cap forced decision, but still cap forced.
Two of our top RFA’s got priced out of our cap space in Mesz and Vermette forcing trades.
Redden signed away by a large market.
Heatley pulled his 2nd crybaby routine and forced his way out to one of two large markets only.
Volchenkov walked for nothing to a large market.

8 elite Sens gone because of the salary cap designed to save us from losing one elite talent in Yashin the previous decade.

Then, we traded Fisher and Kelly at the deadline and all of a sudden we decide the rebuild begins??? You cant be serious?

The reason this alleged Year 1 of the alleged rebuild appears so successful is because it is really year 4 or 5 of the cap forced dismantling and now renewal from within from the draft picks of the last 4 or 5 years which are finally ready to allow us to seem to rebuild in year 1.

Otherwise, as many have argued, we have already replaced Fisher and Kelly, so the rebuild is over. We have already attained that lofty goal.

But of course that is silly, no one thinks we are rebuilding back up to where we were last year with Fisher and Kelly. We are thinking of rebuilding back to the glorious heights we had before the salary cap came in and forced the annual cap dumping of elite players off our team. And this is surely not year 1 of that process. And to suggest it I think belies the difficulty of truly following such a strategy.
The lockout wasn't Year 1 of the rebuild. Hell, we made the Cup Finals in 07. Rebuilding teams aren't teams that make the Cup Finals.

The rebuild has two 'beginning' points depending on how you look at it.

1. Year 1 = 2010-11 season. This is 'year one' for three reasons. One, we absolutely sucked all year. Two, we blew up the core in this season. Three, there was formal acknowledgement by the organization that it was the start of a rebuild.

2. Year 1 = 2007-2008 season. This is 'year one' for two reasons. One, it marked a massive decline in play to the point where we barely made the playoffs. Two, it marked the turn from Muckler to Murray, bringing the organizational focus back on drafting and developing young talent.

I do agree though that the rebuild is not over. It isn't over until we've got a roster that can make deep playoff runs.

Last edited by CanadianHockey: 04-01-2012 at 02:10 PM.
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:01 PM
FreakyBunny

We lost Chara because he wanted to be The Man for a big market team. There was no way we were ever going to sign him, cap or no.

I would argue that we might see a regression next year if Alfie, Kuba, and Gonchar decline sooner than we all hope.

I think once Alfie is gone we will look like other rebuilding clubs, but we'll be farther ahead in the process. Hopefully last year's draft will be seen as Murray's masterpiece when all is said and done and the commissioner hands Spezza the cup.

FreakyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:05 PM
trobby

Squeeking into the playoffs by no means ends your re-build.

Even if we win the Stanley Cup this year, I expect the same changes to take place at the end of the season.

IE: Kuba will be allowed to walk, and they will try to trade Gonchar.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:09 PM
KarlSen

Waiting for Trent Mcleary...

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:28 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

When Murray called this a 3 year plan, I questioned whether he meant 3 years till playoffs or 3 years till contention. I honestly believe that it now means 3 years till contention.

This off-season, acquiring one of Suter/Parise as well as another strong depth forward/defense man here and there would put us in the middle of playoff contenders. Somewhere around 4th/5th in Conference.

A couple more tweaking and more experience for Karlsson/Silfverberg/Zibanejad and I could see this team contending in 2 years.

The rebuild to contention is far from over but it's so near that i'm extremely thankful for it.

Trent has always indicated that some of our best players are over 30. Alfredsson, Kuba, Gonchar, Phillips. If we get Suter/Parise and a couple more prospects blossoming and or other signings/trades, we could fill in those holes with even stronger talent before they're even gone.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:29 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

The Rebuild Continues ...

Of course the rebuild continues, it is year one of a rebuild & the reason for that is because no one thought this team would do so well with the young players that made the team. Greening, Z. Smith, Condra, Butler & Daugavins are all in their 1st full yr with the Sens. They have also added a few pieces along the way that are still young or somewhat inexperienced in Turris, Bishop, Klinkhammer, O'Brien & Gilroy. That's 10 new players although a few did play some important games down the stretch last yr, plus they added Konopka, that's a lot of change from last yr to this yr.

Next yr, I assume we will start the yr with 3 or 4 new full time players like O'Brien, Silfverberg, Bishop & maybe Klinkhammer & Boroweicki. It would not surprise me either for Murray to make a trade or two next season to add some more quality young guys to the team. Eventually they need to replace, Kuba, Gonchar, Phillips, Alfredsson, Anderson, Michalek & Neil over the next few yrs & they seem to have the peices/prospects in place to do just that. The goal seems to be to have two or three new young players ready to step into the NHL each yr & they are slowly getting there. It's been a remarkabe turn around to say the least which has surprised everyone in hockey. Congrats to Murray & his management/scouting teams to turn this franchise around so quickly.

I don't see Ottawa in the Suter/Parise sweepstakes at all, my guess is that both stay in the US either with their present teams or another US team. I would like to see Murray sign Grossman on defence & maybe a forward like Penner for the 3rd line but it's likely he waits to see how his prospects do before adding anyone.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Bueller

Losing guys due to salary cap constraints doesn't mean that we were actively "rebuilding" the team to win in the future.

We made the conscious decision to rebuild last February with the trades of Fisher, Kelly, etc. If we're getting technical, this is the first full year of the rebuild.

Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Xspyrit

People made good points already but to me, this is more a youth movement than anything. They just called it "rebuild" for marketing reasons, to create some kind of "infatuation"

Trading veterans just allowed us to insert young players in the line-up. It was useless to do it before because we almost had no prospect that could play in the NHL... That's why we retained almost all our UFAs and even signed more from the UFA market

The rebuild really started when Murray and his staff drafted Erik Karlsson, so the Senators were capable of drafting well again (which is key in today's NHL obviously)

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:32 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

call it a rebuild, retool, change in philosophy, whatever.

bottom line is that the ownership and management decided during the disappointing season last year that simply trying to make the playoffs wasnt enough, and implemented a ~3 year plan to build us into a contender, not a playoff fringe team.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:24 PM
albator71

I would go with a change of philosophy, PM wants his team to be a skating team and he wants his defensemen to be offensive. I can see the Sens resembling a lot the Predators in the upcoming years.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote