HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Subban or Gardiner

View Poll Results: Subban vrs Gardiner
Subban =better player 186 77.18%
Gardiner=better player 44 18.26%
Subban=on my team 87 36.10%
Gardiner=on my team 32 13.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Subban is the better player... AINEC

I really like Gardiner but PK is better in every single aspect...

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:42 PM
TheBuriedHab

vCash: 500
thing with Subban is I've seen him play in meaningful games, play in Boston in the playoffs, Score a tying goal with 2 mins left in a game 7 and shutdown top lines already. Right now I go with Subban, could change in the future but I like what I see from Subban.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:19 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I think a big reason for the majority saying Subban is that they have never heard of or watched Jake Gardiner play. Everyone has heard of Subban tho. They probably don't even know how good of a rookie season he is having because everyone only talks about Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog, and Henrique. Gardiner is leading all rookie D in points and plays 23-24 minutes a night (Season avg 22) and has probably been the leafs best D man this season over Phaneuf who was an allstar (yes he was voted in but he would have made it anyways being top 5 in D scoring).

Kid is a stud and Im sure as he establishes himself more and more around the league, he will get a lot more recognition.
Subban lead rookie D in points last year and had 11 more points than Gardiner while playing similar minutes. It's not that Gardiner isn't good, Subban is just better.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Subban is the better player... AINEC

I really like Gardiner but PK is better in every single aspect...
IMO it's post like these that make other people ignore your opinion... not trying to be rude, but while I believe Subban is better (for now at least, who knows in the future).... He's clearly not better than Gardiner in every aspect.

Edit: I definently give the edge to Gardiner in the following categories:
Skating, Passing, probably Poise with the puck, and probably PP QBing

Community is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
IMO it's post like these that make other people ignore your opinion... not trying to be rude, but while I believe Subban is better (for now at least, who knows in the future).... He's clearly not better than Gardiner in every aspect.

Skating: Hard to know... Subban skates as good as almost anyone in the league.

Passing: Subban has more assists. Even ignoring the stats, Subban makes great passes. Sometimes, he'll try to deke the whole team and I think that makes his passes unpredictable which is a good thing.

Poise with the puck: He has improved a lot from the first half. Excluding the rare brain fart, he usually wins his battle and gets the puck out of his zone quit easily.

PP QBing: Subban doesn't have to be the QB because Kaberle and now Markov are doing that job. PK is the shooter. With that being said, Subban has twice the amount of pts on the PP (7 vs 14).

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Gardiner Express
#TankNation

I know that I will be coming back to this thread in a few years, and will laugh at all of you who voted for Subban.

Gardiner Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:52 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardiner Express View Post
I know that I will be coming back to this thread in a few years, and will laugh at all of you who voted for Subban.
Trolls back from under the bridge.
Don't be so mad bro.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Subban AINEC
I dont know about that. Their styles certainly fall into the INEC category but the strength of what each brings to the table is relatively close. I myself would take Subban(style/intangibles preference) but would find merit in the argument from another fan who places more importance on poise, vision, skating and discipline. Then again i'm not a fan of either team therefore haven't the need to smother my post in bias. Fans of both teams really should consider reeling in their respective Niedermayer(leafs)/Norris(habs) expectations as neither looks particularly likely of making those dreams come true.

Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Miller Time

Gardiner is a great young player, a real steal for Burke in that trade...

but at this point Subban is the better player & has the better "potential", AINEC.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Gardiner is a great young player, a real steal for Burke in that trade...

but at this point Subban is the better player & has the better "potential", AINEC.
How is it not even close? Just because he is a pest and hits more?

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:06 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post

I don't get how he's better at that. Subban has 5G 9A on the PP, Gardiner has 1G 6A.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
I don't get how he's better at that. Subban has 5G 9A on the PP, Gardiner has 1G 6A.
Doesn't mean he is as good of a PP QB. Dion Phaneuf was a force on the powerplay in Calgary and he is by no means a PP QB. Gardiner controls the flow of play and makes the right pass and has incredible poise. That's what he means.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Sypher04

Not to get into the who's better than who portion of the debate, but if we're going to question Gardiner's ability to quarterback a PP by comparing point totals, it's probably worth noting that Gardiner has played barely a shade over half the time on the PP that Subban has this season.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:55 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
subban has played more games and was on the #1 unit... take that under consideration

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:06 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
subban has played more games and was on the #1 unit... take that under consideration
All the more reason why Subban is being called the better player.
Gardiner wasn't even good enough to start the PP.

As of right now P.K is the better player. Who knows what tommorrow will bring but since i and it seems most non Leaf fans think that P.K also has a higher potential i would be lead to believe things won;t change between the two.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:14 PM
The Chiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
All the more reason why Subban is being called the better player.
Gardiner wasn't even good enough to start the PP.

As of right now P.K is the better player. Who knows what tommorrow will bring but since i and it seems most non Leaf fans think that P.K also has a higher potential i would be lead to believe things won;t change between the two.
He was a rookie playing in the nhl for the 1st time, he plays on the Leafs top powerplay now, I really don't see your point.

I think P.K. is the better player right now, and he's my favorite hab besides Price, but I don't know if I'd say Subban has more potential. Either player could turn out to be better.

The Chiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Sypher04

The habs also didn't have either markov or kaberle for the better part of this year, while the leafs have had phaneuf and liles ahead of gardiner

Old
04-04-2012, 04:31 PM
svat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
How is it not even close? Just because he is a pest and hits more?
no, it's because he is playing against harder competition (relqualcompCOR of 1.343 and QualComp of 1.122 for Subban, -0.368,-0.096 in the same categories for Gardiner), has much less favorable zone starts (56% compared to 46%), similar corsi numbers. Subban is a little worse in just Corsi, but not by much, and considering each situation the different players are in, it is understandable. one is pretty much an elite #1 d-man, and one is a relatively sheltered rookie d-man. you can definitely say AINEC.

svat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:15 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
The habs also didn't have either markov or kaberle for the better part of this year, while the leafs have had phaneuf and liles ahead of gardiner
Lololol kaberle sucks

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:23 PM
superrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by svat View Post
no, it's because he is playing against harder competition (relqualcompCOR of 1.343 and QualComp of 1.122 for Subban, -0.368,-0.096 in the same categories for Gardiner), has much less favorable zone starts (56% compared to 46%), similar corsi numbers. Subban is a little worse in just Corsi, but not by much, and considering each situation the different players are in, it is understandable. one is pretty much an elite #1 d-man, and one is a relatively sheltered rookie d-man. you can definitely say AINEC.
Which one is that?

superrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:40 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrich View Post
Which one is that?
Subban. Key word pretty much

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Sypher04

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Lololol kaberle sucks
I agree, but point being what? Subban was playing with practically no offensive defensemen ahead of him on the depth chart, with Markov being out and the rest of Montreal's D being either defensive or very inexperienced. That's not to say Subban wouldn't have earned top pairing anyway, but it wasn't exactly a battle for those PP minutes.

Gardiner has taken over top powerplay unit, but earlier on (first half) expecting him to supplant Liles and Phaneuf on the first unit would've been ridiculous.

With that said, there's little question at this point that Subban is ahead of Gardiner in most categories.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:15 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Pernel karl
Everyday and twice onsunday

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
I have a huge man-crush on Gardiner, but Subban all day.

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:12 PM
svat

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrich View Post
Which one is that?
i'm guessing this is some snarky way of disagreeing and believing that gardiner is somehow close to a number 1 d-man (when he is in actuality close to a 4-5 [albeit with room to improve of course, it is his rookie season]). Gardiner is not even close to Subban's level.

If the B's had a chance to trade for either, I suspect we would be sending peverley and a pick for gardiner, while we would need to basically send montreal bergeron and seidenberg to get montreal to trade subban. He is that good.

svat is offline   Reply With Quote