HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capuano and Snow will be back

Old
04-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

vCash: 500
Nope. We're doing something about this. Do you remember Cartman quitting after they shut down all the KFCs in America? Do you remember the 1980 US Hockey Team quitting after they lost to Russia 10-3? I don't. We will protest. At games. Outside the Light House. At Wang's House. We're doing something.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:51 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
yup, after seeing this interview, it just confirmed my plans for the coming season. i stated earlier in the season that i'm gonna give the team one more chance this offseason to make some moves(at least one bonafide top-6 forward and one bonafide top-2 d-man) to show me that they are at least trying to put together a contender.
if what this (mod edit) said today is any indication of what is to come this offseason, then it looks like i am done with them as well after 25+ years...

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 04-01-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: i don't think you can say that.
thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post

"When you improve a team it isn't only spending money. It's bringing in... the right kind of talent and we are trying to do it. . . You bring in a few veterans... You have to look at the kids we have today, some of them are veterans... 3 or 4 seasons makes you a veteran."

You sack! You lying sack of ****! You are counting the kids with a few years under their belts as veteran help to guide the club!?!?!?
They are young veterans. However, since they were never properly led, it's not like they are exactly great leaders. When the Lees, Kabanovs & DeHaans come up, they will be led by the blind.

I don't even mean to disrespect guys like Tavares, Okposo & Hamonic. But none of them were properly taught how to win, so why should anyone ever expect them to be able to teach even younger players.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:07 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenYearsGone View Post
...were you guys expecting something else? let's be real here guys.
I'd hoped Snow and Wang would look at how badly Cappy has done with Nino's development and realized he is not been a good fit.How come message board fans could realize so early on, that Bailey needed to be moved to the wing,yet it took Cappy until after 65 games?

How many games has Nino been a healthy scratch?
The isles are nowhere close to even being in the playoff race and instead of trying to rebuild Nino's confidence the last month or so,he's been a healthy scratch or played with scrubs on the 4th line.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:12 PM
rikker

i think Snow has done ok. Capuano is another story...

i think that Charles was implying that we may go with a real young team next year, if we can't entice quality players to join in. i'm all for that, as opposed to signing a bunch of Rolston-esque types.

Snow's last stand, so to speak. i heard that P. Mcguire is next in line...

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:21 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
They are young veterans. However, since they were never properly led, it's not like they are exactly great leaders. When the Lees, Kabanovs & DeHaans come up, they will be led by the blind.

I don't even mean to disrespect guys like Tavares, Okposo & Hamonic. But none of them were properly taught how to win, so why should anyone ever expect them to be able to teach even younger players.
When talking about bringing in vets to stabilize a young team anyone from players to journalists to GMs know you are talking about people who have 8 years or more of experience, and hopefully with resumes that include the playoffs and a ring or two. What Wang did here was disregard all of us like we are imbeciles who don't understand the difference between the two. Calling a kid with 4 years of NHL experience a "veteran" in this regard is insulting to the intelligence. I would much rather he just told the truth, but presented with that chance the old BS artist chooses to lie to us again.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Hip Of Rick

So who are next years top picks. I have been watching less and less lately and it seems like most here have as well. To be posting in a message board we are the die hards and are giving up, the casual fan does not give a crap about this team. I used to plan my night to make sure I can watch the game, that does not happen anymore. Wang/Snow/Capuano make this team very very easy to not watch as they put out an inferior product year after year. If all stays the same next year and we do nothing in the off-season as usual and with the arena situation and an impending move on the horizon it will be difficult to invest time and energy into the team. I have a feeling I am not a minority with this.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Jester9881

Is Pat Kane a veteran? Max Pac? Jordan Staal? Phil Kessel?

Are these the "veterans" that would be acceptable to you? Because they're not much older or experienced than many of the guys he was talking about on the Islanders right now.

Give your heads a shake.... some of you are just *****ing for the sake of *****ing. Looking for any reason to complain.

Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:32 PM
malPHONEY

We don't need veterans. We need good players.

If they happen to be veterans then that's fine too. Players learn how to win by being surrounded by good players and thus--winning.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I'm not going to lie, I am losing all hope and interest as well. After hearing him speak I truly regret buying tickets to barclays preseason game.
.....If anyone wants the 2 tickets to the barclays game PM me.
That's a dopey thing to say. Ratner gets most of the money for this game not Wang. Plus the hope is the new address brings a new owner or a chance to compete.

As for the interview, Wang was right to be pissed at nassau/TOH and now us fans are paying for it but he's clueless about not making significant changes and keeping Capuano.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Come on guys, it's not like were getting killed out there.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:59 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

Are these the "veterans" that would be acceptable to you? Because they're not much older or experienced than many of the guys he was talking about on the Islanders right now.

Give your heads a shake.... some of you are just *****ing for the sake of *****ing. Looking for any reason to complain.
Um, compare and contrast that pool of kids to Okposo, Bailey, and MacDonald. Now smack yourself for being silly. If the club could bring in talent like that, much of it experienced by having been developed on talented teams that went deep in the playoffs, then we wouldn't have the current young-team issues. Sadly, no one in Wang's "They have 4 years experience so therefore they count as qualified veteran depth" pool can claim that kind of resume. The top young vet on the club is whom, Okposo? He can't even turn in a consistent season, let alone lead by example.

Or maybe you think he qualifies as good "veteran leadership?"

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

What does this even mean? Wake me up when this team gets Patrick Kane, Jordan Staal or Phil Kessel, and I doubt anyone was clamoring for Pacioretty before this season. besides 2 of those 4 players have been on cup winning teams, and IIRC Kessel was on a Bruins team that went to the conference finals (i could be wrong about that?)

What does this team have as far as playoff experience among the skaters? Streit, Mottau, Eaton, Jurcina, Pandolfo, Staois, Reasoner & Rolston. So if you really look at that group of players, I count 1 who plays a vital role on the team, and MAYBE 1 other who I even want back next year. And I'm not entirely sure if I even want Jurcina back with a guaranteed spot.

Yeah sure, bring in a 24 year old superstar who has won, and has played on teams with good veteran talent who were actually in their prime. That player can teach Ryan Strome a hell of a lot more about what it takes to win then Kyle Okposo can.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:04 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Why the hell should either of these 2 fools be back? But above all, why should Capuano be back? He's one of the worst coaches in pro sports history.
It's just as much Tavares' fault - he shouldn't have taken the marker from Cappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleNmetFan4Life View Post
For the record, I think Snow has done a great job considering the financial constraints he's had. I want a proven head coach to replace Capuano though.
financial constraints are an easy-out excuse for poor decisions with the roster. The last 6-7 players added to the roster were a collective, colossal failure. No other way to put it.

When Nate Thompson has almost as many goals as your bottom six forwards that puts failure into a whole new perspective.

And, lottery & great job do not belong in the same sentence.

Quote:
That interview gave us absolutely ZERO hope as fans now, next season, and in the next 3 years. He mentioned how much he's invested in "the process," yet he's clearly either not committed, not smart enough, or doesn't have the people in place who are smart enough to realize that deviating from a process that hasn't worked is what the organization needs.

I really feel like there's nothing that can be done at this point. We have the talent to maybe squeak into the playoffs the next few years, but history has proven that we won't live up to that potential. We'll never be able to compete with a decrepit arena, an owner who won't spend and a minor league coach. We're a lame duck fan base for the next 3 years and reality sucks.
committing to a process without any objectives, no goals, no timeframe is pointless.

his treatment of the fanbase is embarrassing, shameful. The NHL should revoke the franchise.

In terms of "nothing that can be done" - that's the most frustrating part. There's a zillion dollars of cap space and a really strong young core. This team needs a better GM, coach and some MONEY to spend on a couple of good players and they'll be a playoff team.

There's a lot that CAN BE done, but it WON'T be done. And nobody in the media or the organization has had the courage to call out this FRAUD.

The Leafs, on the other hand, are screwed. Contracts committed for next season, up against the cap, no young talent, large holes everywhere.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:10 PM
IsleNmetFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

financial constraints are an easy-out excuse for poor decisions with the roster. The last 6-7 players added to the roster were a collective, colossal failure. No other way to put it.

When Nate Thompson has almost as many goals as your bottom six forwards that puts failure into a whole new perspective.
I hated the Reasoner signing and replacing Konopka, and I hate Haley not being on the roster all year. He should've made the team over Pandolfo, but Jay has been decent in his role. I actually agreed with having Nino in the NHL this year, I just think Capuano has handled him horribly. Staios has been the least of our problems and nobody could've predicted Rolston would be THAT bad. He should've been dumped a lot earlier, and once again Capuano is at fault for overplaying him and not making him a scratch more often. I didn't mean Snow has done a great job as a whole, I just think given the fact that nobody wants to play here besides washed up has-beens looking to resurrect their careers, he could've done much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

In terms of "nothing that can be done" - that's the most frustrating part. There's a zillion dollars of cap space and a really strong young core. This team needs a better GM, coach and some MONEY to spend on a couple of good players and they'll be a playoff team.

There's a lot that CAN BE done, but it WON'T be done. And nobody in the media or the organization has had the courage to call out this FRAUD.

Also, I meant we as fans can't really do anything. I'm fully aware that the GM and owner can do plenty to fix this team and just won't. There's no way to persuade the owner to sell, there's no way we can single-handedly get the coach fired. You made a great point about the media also... Sure we can protest and try getting some recognition but in the end there won't be enough media pressure to actually persuade a franchise-changing move (see: Montreal's coaching situation). The fans are starting to not care and the media cares exponentially less than we do. I really believe Chuckles cares, he's just too stupid to realize we'll never have success until he A) backs off and lets the coaches and GM do their jobs with an open wallet (never going to happen) or B) sells the team. The guy is practically a billionaire... I don't understand how hard it is to realize that instead of spending $30 million, circumventing the cap, and losing millions on the team each year, if he'd invest $20 million extra into acquiring real NHL talent, he'd earn that back in season tickets, playoff games and other revenue. It's hopeless at this point.

IsleNmetFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:16 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

wtf...

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:24 PM
miscreant
Charles in Charge!

Bummer. I was hoping that in lieu of making aggressive player moves this summer (which I don't expect), Wang would at least make some effort to appease us fans by bringing in an experienced coach. I see it written a lot that he doesn't care, but IMO it's gone well beyond that to open contempt and hostility. It's like he's taking all his frustration at his own failures as an owner and directing it at us.

miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:00 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I can already see the Draft thread next year... MacKinnon or Jones?
MacKinnon. No question. Kid is amazing.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:24 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I can already see the Draft thread next year... MacKinnon or Jones?
ugh yessssssss. but seeing another failure season....ughhhhhh. but dam hes gonna be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
This team goes nowhere with Capuano.
pretty much. he must tell wang where to find the best 3 penis wine on long island.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Islanders1932

I can only hope that this is an April Fools Prank from Botta

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
I can only hope that this is an April Fools Prank from Botta
No, it was in the interview between Howie and Wang during today's intermissions.

04-01-2012, 10:32 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
No, it was in the interview between Howie and Wang during today's intermissions.
my dad said he had it muted because of a phone call and missed it. prob better off. at least until he wakes up tomorrow.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:44 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Seriously...? Unreal.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Seriously...? Unreal.
As serious as a heart attack.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:00 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Garth Snow is easily worse than Milbury. Across the board. Can't say I didn't see it coming.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote