HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Old
04-01-2012, 04:14 AM
Gwyddbwyll

vCash: 500
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Amazing season he's having, you can see him getting better on a nightly basis.

Had 5 goals in March, now on 13 for the season.

That's equal second highest by a Phoenix defenseman ever.

2006 Mara - 15
2012 Ekman-Larsson - 13
2002 Numminen - 13
2010 Yandle - 12
2008 Jovanovski - 12
2011 Yandle - 11
2007 Jovanovski - 11
1998 Numminen - 11
2012 Yandle - 10
2003 Mara - 10
2010 Jovanovksi - 10
1999 Numminen - 10
1997 Tverdovski - 10

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:10 AM
XX
... Waiting

Norris nomination before he's 25.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Gwyddbwyll

I dont think this OEL thread should have been merged. I understand the OP was a "player inquiry" but I tried to find a OEL or Ekman-Larsson thread to post his accomplishment in.. now there will be none for someone else to find. Plus it was also interesting and highly relevant to see the early season discussion and expectations for him.

Should have renamed the thread if you didnt like the player inquiry part of it.. but I think you lost a pretty good thread by merging it to this one. The stats I went to the trouble of collecting and expectations are now lost because nobody will read the thread as it was intended and nobody will find it by the thread title. Lots of fans would have been interested in an OEL thread but not this Player Inquiry thread.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:51 AM
mitch27

35 goals, 100 points.

Seriously though, the sky is the limit with OEL. He's just SO smart. He very rarely makes a mistake and his skating is exceptional. I love everything about his game. He isn't even filled out yet, I imagine when he does he'll start throwing the body a bit more too.

EDIT: Just realized the OEL part was for this season... oh well, april fools

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:52 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Amazing season he's having, you can see him getting better on a nightly basis.

Had 5 goals in March, now on 13 for the season.

That's equal second highest by a Phoenix defenseman ever.

2006 Mara - 15
2012 Ekman-Larsson - 13
2002 Numminen - 13
2010 Yandle - 12
2008 Jovanovski - 12
2011 Yandle - 11
2007 Jovanovski - 11
1998 Numminen - 11
2012 Yandle - 10
2003 Mara - 10
2010 Jovanovksi - 10
1999 Numminen - 10
1997 Tverdovski - 10
I still have trouble truly appreciating OEL for his offense. His defensive game is just so much more refined. I honestly think he scores goals (the ones from the point) more by accident. He should be inserted back into our regular list of shootout players though.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

OEL is one guy that I would evaluate most on his plus minus. I expect it to be stellar in the years ahead. He will be not only a shutdown defenceman, but also an offensive force with his ability to shoot and pass.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:26 PM
hao chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I still have trouble truly appreciating OEL for his offense. His defensive game is just so much more refined. I honestly think he scores goals (the ones from the point) more by accident. He should be inserted back into our regular list of shootout players though.
Maybe, but he joins the rush enough (IE: his SHG) that I think he'll usually end up with 10+ goals.

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:51 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
I dont think this OEL thread should have been merged. I understand the OP was a "player inquiry" but I tried to find a OEL or Ekman-Larsson thread to post his accomplishment in.. now there will be none for someone else to find. Plus it was also interesting and highly relevant to see the early season discussion and expectations for him.

Should have renamed the thread if you didnt like the player inquiry part of it.. but I think you lost a pretty good thread by merging it to this one. The stats I went to the trouble of collecting and expectations are now lost because nobody will read the thread as it was intended and nobody will find it by the thread title. Lots of fans would have been interested in an OEL thread but not this Player Inquiry thread.
Resolved.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:57 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I don't think that's fair. His 9.2 shooting percentage is a little high for a defenseman, but it's nothing crazy. But he's taking enough shots (141 through 79 games, though that's the second lowest total in the top 15 defenseman goal scorers), and while his slapper isn't a cannon, he's very smart and accurate with that wrister. When you're shooting from that far out, you're obviously beholden to fluky bounces, so there's going to be some variance from season to season for that reason, but as long as he keeps shooting, he should be able to sustain goal totals in the 10-15 range. As he matures, I suspect his assist totals will rise, too, both from developing his passing skills and from improving his shot to generate more rebounds.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:13 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Everyone likes the Lidstrom comparisons because he's a Swede, but he reminds me much more of Scott Niedermeyer. The skating is flawless and he makes everything looks so easy out there. His play has also made some Coyotes believe that Yandle is expendable not even a year long into his new contract. What a player!

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:23 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hao chi View Post
Maybe, but he joins the rush enough (IE: his SHG) that I think he'll usually end up with 10+ goals.
If he's this good scoring goals "by accident" from the point. How good will he be once he matures? It's a scary proposition to think he's a 13 goal scorer already as a 20 year old.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:29 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Everyone likes the Lidstrom comparisons because he's a Swede, but he reminds me much more of Scott Niedermeyer. The skating is flawless and he makes everything looks so easy out there. His play has also made some Coyotes believe that Yandle is expendable not even a year long into his new contract. What a player!
Dunno, I think the Lidstrom comparison is best.....his awareness on the ice and vision is impeccible........just has an amazing ability to control the overall game. He's already a better defensive defenseman than Niedermeyer (I grew up in NJ and watched Scotty for a good portion of his career, especially when he was younger).

Yandle plays a lot like Niedermyer minus the bad turnovers and void of Scotty's skating ability. I agree on moving Yandle given the number of young quality defenseman on this team and at least 3 are very good offensively (OEL, Rundblad and Schlemko).

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

I wouldnt call his goals more of an accident. Very often he is putting himself in open ice and when he gets the puck he puts it very accurately into the net. great wrister. hes nailed the top corners a few different times recently.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:38 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZviaNJ View Post
Dunno, I think the Lidstrom comparison is best.....his awareness on the ice and vision is impeccible........just has an amazing ability to control the overall game. He's already a better defensive defenseman than Niedermeyer (I grew up in NJ and watched Scotty for a good portion of his career, especially when he was younger).

Yandle plays a lot like Niedermyer minus the bad turnovers and void of Scotty's skating ability. I agree on moving Yandle given the number of young quality defenseman on this team and at least 3 are very good offensively (OEL, Rundblad and Schlemko).
The same could of been said for Niedermeyer. I think the only thing that really separates the two was Scott's mobility while Lidstrom almost always prefers the simple play. Don't think it's really fair to say that any one skill set of OEL's is better than a proven Lidstrom but I would argue that his skating ability is more on par with Niedermeyer than Lidstrom. Gormley plays the game like Lidstrom with his active stick and heady play.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:46 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
I wouldnt call his goals more of an accident. Very often he is putting himself in open ice and when he gets the puck he puts it very accurately into the net. great wrister. hes nailed the top corners a few different times recently.
This is an accurate assesment IMO. He thinks the game so well that he is getting the puck to the net where good things happen.
Where does one even start evaluating goals that are accidents and not accidents for heaven's sake.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Huffman

Not sure if it's old news but OEL played most of this season with a broken foot. Apparently he blocked a shot against Colorado in the 5th game but they did not think it was very serious at the time.

http://translate.google.se/translate...la-sasongen%2F

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 07:02 AM
DesertDawg

BUMP
He is due for a 20+ G season!

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

vCash: 1329
And got a contract extension...imagine if he was 100%.

Rebranded Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 10:25 AM
knowsthegame

OEL = franchise player, outstanding

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
Not sure if it's old news but OEL played most of this season with a broken foot. Apparently he blocked a shot against Colorado in the 5th game but they did not think it was very serious at the time.

he also had a hurt foot injury at the start of the AHL season when he sat out a couple weeks.

Most likely same thing

Last edited by Swat Ultra: 06-05-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Swat Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Mr Pukhead
Where's my ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post

That's remarkable. This kid is something.

Mr Pukhead is offline   Reply With Quote