HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Prime healthy Forsberg vs Ovechkin

View Poll Results: Which one would you rather have on your team?
Forsberg 108 67.92%
Ovechkin 33 20.75%
I Can't decide 4 2.52%
Malkin is the son of Zeus 14 8.81%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-03-2012, 12:39 AM
newfy

vCash: 500
The hfboards love affair with Forsberg continues. Obviously the guy was great when healthy and I know he wasnt a goal scorer but he never scored more than 30 goals and only hits 30 twice....

Ovie hit 65 in his prime, in one season he more than doubled Forsbergs 2 highest goal scoring seasons. Forsberg had a physical game when he got ticked, but Ovechkin is a force physically and Ovie definitely holds a large edge there as well. Both have very high playoff ppg's as well.

The people who are sayin "its a shame people forget how good Forsberg was" seem to be forgetting how amazing Ovie was for a bit there. Up until the half a season before Crosby got hurt where Sid was on that tear, there was no right answer to who the best player in the NHL is. It was between Ovie and Crosby.

I dont blame people for saying Forsberg, but anyone who says its not even close, or thinks it isnt arguable is gonna make themselves look like an idiot

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:46 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
The hfboards love affair with Forsberg continues. Obviously the guy was great when healthy and I know he wasnt a goal scorer but he never scored more than 30 goals and only hits 30 twice....

Ovie hit 65 in his prime, in one season he more than doubled Forsbergs 2 highest goal scoring seasons. Forsberg had a physical game when he got ticked, but Ovechkin is a force physically and Ovie definitely holds a large edge there as well. Both have very high playoff ppg's as well.

The people who are sayin "its a shame people forget how good Forsberg was" seem to be forgetting how amazing Ovie was for a bit there. Up until the half a season before Crosby got hurt where Sid was on that tear, there was no right answer to who the best player in the NHL is. It was between Ovie and Crosby.

I dont blame people for saying Forsberg, but anyone who says its not even close, or thinks it isnt arguable is gonna make themselves look like an idiot
Forsberg made everyone around him better, and had way more of a complete game. Forsberg also has rings and Ovechkin does not. Until Ovi gets his rings, it's Forsberg AINEC for me.

Forsberg is 8th all time in points per game, and 4th in assists per game.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:53 AM
StandingCow

Forsberg easily.

StandingCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:54 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Malkin's Dad:

Notice that his shirt is off. Coincidence? I think not.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:55 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

I'd rather have Ovechkin.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I ****ing HATE these "healthy prime" polls. The fact of the matter is Forsberg has a bum foot, ruptured spleen, and spent more time on the IR than he did the ice. I'm viewing Forsberg as he was, a dominant playmaking centre who was oft-injured.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:30 AM
Krishna

Forsberg.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:45 AM
211*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Better hitter? Debatable
Better goal scorer? Yes
If Ovi played clutch & grab hockey? Forsberg was built for clutch & grab, not Ovi.
Ovi's prime far better? Lol no...

How would Forsberg not win any cups? what is Ovi's situation? Your acting like he is on a bad team.
ahahah its not even remotely close as a hitter. ovi is in a different area code. naslund dominated the ''clutch and grab era'' and its not like clutching and grabbing doesnt happen today.

211* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:04 AM
SweYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
ahahah its not even remotely close as a hitter. ovi is in a different area code. naslund dominated the ''clutch and grab era'' and its not like clutching and grabbing doesnt happen today.
I doubt you ever saw Forsberg play.

And yes, a healthy Forsberg was indeed one of the best players to ever play the game of hockey.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:42 AM
FakeKidPoker*

People taking prime Malkin over Ovechkin?

Talk about what have you done for me lately.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:43 AM
211*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post

And yes, a healthy Forsberg was indeed one of the best players to ever play the game of hockey.
nice come back. i see why people say forsberg is so overrated on here. its not even close sorry. ovechkins rookie and first few seasons saw him steam roll people lindros style. i dont understand this nostalgia people have with certain plays from the past its beyond laughable.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:43 AM
211*

Quote:
nice come back. i see why people say forsberg is so overrated on here. its not even close sorry. ovechkins rookie and first few seasons saw him steam roll people lindros style. i dont understand this nostalgia people have with certain plays from the past its beyond laughable.
players

Old
04-03-2012, 04:15 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post

I consider the peak value of Ovechkin a bit higher than Forsberg. I think they are close to each others and after career is over i think Ovechkin will be the better player.

But it is so sad that Forsberg had so injury riddled career. There is no point of thinking all the "what iff's". Selanne without injuries would be knocking on 750-800 goals. Etc etc...but i can't help to feel that we lost something very great in Foppa.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:17 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
players
Are you typing with phone or some other thing? Why don't you edit your post instead of sending a new one?

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
People taking prime Malkin over Ovechkin?

Talk about what have you done for me lately.
Yeah, this is Malkin's only good season. Never proven anything before, right?

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Peter Forsberg

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Go Habs Go

lol I don't care if Ovi scored 50 more points a season. Forsberg's a champ, he wins cups, he gets the job done. Ovi gets points but thats about it..

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:46 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I ****ing HATE these "healthy prime" polls. The fact of the matter is Forsberg has a bum foot, ruptured spleen, and spent more time on the IR than he did the ice. I'm viewing Forsberg as he was, a dominant playmaking centre who was oft-injured.
But do you view Crosby that way?

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:30 AM
ashenhigh

Growing up as Wings fan I feared Forsberg. Just feared that guy.

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:06 AM
du5566*

I guess if I started watching hockey in 2005 maybe I would think OV is the better than Forsberg. But I did not.......

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:22 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
But do you view Crosby that way?
Yes. It has nothing to due with nationality. I'm only more outspoken when it comes to Forsberg due to the constant circle jerk HF has going over his career. It bothers me. He was a great player, but he wasn't the demigod people make him out to be. He wasn't even the best of his era.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:32 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Yes. It has nothing to due with nationality. I'm only more outspoken when it comes to Forsberg due to the constant circle jerk HF has going over his career. It bothers me. He was a great player, but he wasn't the demigod people make him out to be. He wasn't even the best of his era.
No one ever said he was, just that we'd prefer him over Ovechkin.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

The problem is when you're evaluating a player's talent then career total numbers aren't always indicative of what they were. Not every star player has a career like Jagr where he was great, and had longevity.

Jagr doesn't play the game rough so he rarely gets injured. Guys like Forsberg and Lindros played a more physical style of hockey which lead to injuries.

When you're talking about value, then yes a healthier player is more valuable, but it doesn't mean he's better. Do you think someone like Dave Andreychuk is more deserving of the HOF than Forsberg because he hung around for a ton of years?

Quote:
I don't really get this.

I see people say it all the time, but I don't see who really overrates the guy that much. Besides people that say AINEC, but who takes them seriously anyway?

Honestly, he has the 10th all time PPG in hockey history, while playing in one of, if not the lowest scoring era's in league history.

He's 4th all time in Assists per Game.

He's in the top 20 in playoff goals, assists, and points.

He's 12th all time in playoff PPG.

He was one of the most talented players ever, was a very good offensive player, a physical player, and a good defensive player. He was one of the more well rounded star forwards ever.

As for the poll, Ovechkin's goal scoring is a big advantage. They're physical play is probably about the same. So it comes down to if Forsberg D compensates for Ovechkin's goal scoring advantage. I'm not really sure it does. Though Forsberg's prime lasted for about 10 years. It's not clear if Ovechkin's is over already or not.

Last edited by Protest: 04-03-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:04 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
No one ever said he was, just that we'd prefer him over Ovechkin.
Oh, of course not. That last post was just me explaining my view as to not come off as a "Forsberg isn't Canadian, therefore he's inferior" nationalistic type of person, not necessarily saying what I got out of the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
The problem is when you're evaluating a player's talent then career total numbers aren't always indicative of what they were. Not every star player has a career like Jagr where he was great, and had longevity.

Jagr doesn't play the game rough so he rarely gets injured. Guys like Forsberg and Lindros played a more physical style of hockey which lead to injuries.

When you're talking about value, then yes a healthier player is more valuable, but it doesn't mean he's better. Do you think someone like Dave Andreychuk is more deserving of the HOF than Forsberg because he hung around for a ton of years?

I don't really get this.

I see people say it all the time, but I don't see who really overrates the guy that much. Besides people that say AINEC, but who takes them seriously anyway?

Honestly, he has the 10th all time PPG in hockey history, while playing in one of, if not the lowest scoring era's in league history.

He's 4th all time in Assists per Game.

He's in the top 20 in playoff goals, assists, and points.

He's 12th all time in playoff PPG.

He was one of the most talented players ever, was a very good offensive player, a physical player, and a good defensive player. He was one of the more well rounded star forwards ever.

As for the poll, Ovechkin's goal scoring is a big advantage. They're physical play is probably about the same. So it comes down to if Forsberg D compensates for Ovechkin's goal scoring advantage. I'm not really sure it does.
All great points. Forsberg WAS a great player and a 1st ballot inductee in my mind. I just don't think his play was so much more amazing that it warrants the kind of love it gets on HF.

Between having an actual healthy, prime Ovechkin (which we have seen for multiple years) over the ocassionally healthy Forsberg (who, even then, wasn't playing a full season), I'd take Ovechkin which is all I was trying to say before I got caught up in an irrational, argumentative mood from this thread.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Between having an actual healthy, prime Ovechkin (which we have seen for multiple years) over the ocassionally healthy Forsberg (who, even then, wasn't playing a full season), I'd take Ovechkin which is all I was trying to say before I got caught up in an irrational, argumentative mood from this thread.
If you use a healthy, prime Ovechkin, then you can't compare him to an occasionally healthy Forsberg.

Besides seasons were he only played in 17 games and 2 games at the end of his career, he was never below a point per game. If Ovechkin didn't have his struggles these past 2 seasons and if his teams didn't underachieve in the playoffs, then it would be a lot closer for me.

Forsberg's superior 2-way play and rings makes it not close for me. If Ovechkin gets his consistency back and wins a couple Cups, then we can talk.

Forsberg was his own worst enemy with the style he played.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:27 PM
RobMT88

Both in there primes are exceptionally great players.

But an angry Forsberg in his prime, with a series on the line, was the best player i can remember watching. The way he would dominate games was absolutely insane.

Anybody that thinks otherwise needs to watch that video of the Avs coming back in a game against Florida when they were down 5-0 with 1 period left.

btw last option, lmao

Last edited by RobMT88: 04-03-2012 at 04:34 PM.
RobMT88 is offline   Reply With Quote