HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Prime healthy Forsberg vs Ovechkin

View Poll Results: Which one would you rather have on your team?
Forsberg 108 67.92%
Ovechkin 33 20.75%
I Can't decide 4 2.52%
Malkin is the son of Zeus 14 8.81%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-03-2012, 06:16 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

vCash: 500
Prime Forsberg. I'd rather have more cups than Jersey's sold.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:38 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If you use a healthy, prime Ovechkin, then you can't compare him to an occasionally healthy Forsberg.

Besides seasons were he only played in 17 games and 2 games at the end of his career, he was never below a point per game. If Ovechkin didn't have his struggles these past 2 seasons and if his teams didn't underachieve in the playoffs, then it would be a lot closer for me.

Forsberg's superior 2-way play and rings makes it not close for me. If Ovechkin gets his consistency back and wins a couple Cups, then we can talk.

Forsberg was his own worst enemy with the style he played.
Well, why can't we compare them? We have seen Forsberg's best and we have seen Ovechkin's best. Like Forsberg, besides this season, Ovechkin has never been below PPG.

And Cups have nothing to do with it. What's true of the whole is not true of the parts and what's true of the parts is not true of the whole. Taking Forsberg off of the Avalanche and putting him on to the Capitals in place of Ovi isn't going to guarantee a Cup win for Washington. Forsberg being on Cup winning teams on Cup winning teams does not make him better than Ovechkin. Players should be judged as individuals, not as a team. If you're going to judge Forsberg by his two way play compared to Ovechkin, then by all means; just don't throw the entire Colorado Avalanche teams into the equation because they're completely irrelevant.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:45 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Well, why can't we compare them? We have seen Forsberg's best and we have seen Ovechkin's best. Like Forsberg, besides this season, Ovechkin has never been below PPG.

And Cups have nothing to do with it. What's true of the whole is not true of the parts and what's true of the parts is not true of the whole. Taking Forsberg off of the Avalanche and putting him on to the Capitals in place of Ovi isn't going to guarantee a Cup win for Washington. Forsberg being on Cup winning teams on Cup winning teams does not make him better than Ovechkin. Players should be judged as individuals, not as a team. If you're going to judge Forsberg by his two way play compared to Ovechkin, then by all means; just don't throw the entire Colorado Avalanche teams into the equation because they're completely irrelevant.
Right until this season, that never happened with Forsberg. It's not like Forsberg was injured in every single season either.

Either compare their best seasons when healthy or you include both Forsberg's injuries and Ovechkin's inconsistencies.

And Cups have everything to do with it, that's why you play the game. IMO Ovechkin should've been able to lead one of the Caps teams that went to the playoffs into the Finals. Elite players with rings will always be better than elite players without rings IMO. Ovechkin still has plenty of time to win his, but until then, it's Forsberg.

2-way players that also put up dominate offensive numbers are some of the most valuable players you can find.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:14 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejickler View Post
Yeah, this is Malkin's only good season. Never proven anything before, right?
Oh he's been good.

Not as good as Ovechkin.

People rip on Ovechkin for this year well the last TWO years Malkin's game has been in the tank..

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:14 PM
cgf

I love Ovy and it was hard not to vote for Malkin being the son of Zeus as that is a truth fact, but a prime healthy Forsberg is one of the most dominant post season warriors the game has ever seen. A guy who controlled the game where ever the puck went and could put a team on his back and bounce the puck into the net off anyone.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post

I've found that this thought is impossible to comprehend for a lot of the people on this site.

The one thing I will say when comparing their primes, and this really isn't directed towards you, is that Forsberg scored at 100 point pace for 8 out of 9 seasons. Now you can say that well pace stats are just pace stats, but his pace was the same every year. Furthermore, in the 2 seasons he played 75 games he scored over 100 points. Those two seasons were also separated by several years, and injuries.

The one side of the coin says that in reality he wasn't as valuable as Ovechkin because he couldn't stay healthy. The other side of the coin is that he was able to produce, or pace for, 100 point seasons despite not being truly healthy, and despite playing in a very low scoring era.

I think that if Ovechkin has truly fallen off, and is no longer a 50 G 100 P player, then Forsberg's prime has to be better because it lasted nearly twice as long.

At their peaks, Ovechkin was a 65 goal, 112 point player, and Forsberg was a 30 goal, 116 point player. One scored double the goals, one had double the assists, and played much better D.

It's hard to compare since they have different skill sets. Ovechkin's peak might have been better because 65 goals is just a hell of a lot.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:11 PM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
ahahah its not even remotely close as a hitter. ovi is in a different area code. naslund dominated the ''clutch and grab era'' and its not like clutching and grabbing doesnt happen today.
I can already tell that your to young to have seen Forsberg play. What does Naslund have to do with this? Again, totally different game today. Clutching and grabbing does not happen really at all. Its a faster game with more space to roam. Plus referees will call interference fast now a days.

Quote:
nice come back. i see why people say forsberg is so overrated on here. its not even close sorry. ovechkins rookie and first few seasons saw him steam roll people lindros style. i dont understand this nostalgia people have with certain plays from the past its beyond laughable.

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
I can already tell that your to young to have seen Forsberg play. What does Naslund have to do with this? Again, totally different game today. Clutching and grabbing does not happen really at all. Its a faster game with more space to roam. Plus referees will call interference fast now a days.

Yeah he definitely hasn't seen Forsberg play if he's comparing Ovechkin to Lindros.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:55 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Yeah he definitely hasn't seen Forsberg play if he's comparing Ovechkin to Lindros.
Lindros and Forsberg > OV

I love how players like Forsberg and Lindros are "overrated" now according to the post lockout crowd. Rediculous.

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:57 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
Lindros and Forsberg > OV

I love how players like Forsberg and Lindros are "overrated" now according to the post lockout crowd. Rediculous.
Clearly Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin are the best players ever.

Only Gretzky, Orr, Howe, and Mario are better

Old
04-04-2012, 02:08 PM
211*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post

if you think forsberg was a better a hitter then ovechkin you dont know anything about hockey. you clearly are 10 years old.

211* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:14 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
if you think forsberg was a better a hitter then ovechkin you dont know anything about hockey. you clearly are 10 years old.
LOL, you clearly never watched Forsberg. You either are a post lockout fan or east coast bias.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
ashenhigh

Quote:
Right because a 10 year old would make a statement about a player who peaked almost 10 years ago.

Forsberg brought the pain. Just youtube it. And it has nothing to do with "nostalgia" as you said. Some people on here have ACTUALLY seen both players play extensively. I know that's shocking to think.

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
211*

beyond me how theres so many people who know nothing about hockey in one thread. completely makes sense why people say forsberg is so overrated on here

Old
04-04-2012, 02:21 PM
nexguy

Forsberg was on pace for 100 points 8 times with health issues. Imagine what he could have done in those seasons while healthy along with all the others he didn't hit 100 pt pace.

nexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:23 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
beyond me how theres so many people who know nothing about hockey in one thread. completely makes sense why people say forsberg is so overrated on here
Maybe instead of so many people who don't know anything, you are the one who doesn't know much. I would really like to know where you are from and how old you are.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:24 PM
nexguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Forsberg if you want to win.
this

nexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

forsberg is overrate on this board, but what is ovi's prime considered? the past years at 65 goals?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:26 PM
211*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexguy View Post
this
forsberg wouldnt be turning the washington capitals into a stanely cup champ

Old
04-04-2012, 02:31 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
forsberg wouldnt be turning the washington capitals into a stanely cup champ
Because 2-way centers with elite offensive skill with the ability to physically dominate can't have a bigger impact than Ovechkin.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:34 PM
211*

Quote:
Because 2-way centers with elite offensive skill with the ability to physically dominate can't have a bigger impact than Ovechkin.
no ones arguing that forsberg wasnt a more balanced player. forsberg was a better playmaker and better in the boards. but he isnt taking the capitals to finals.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:36 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Anyone who voted for Ovechkin is obviously under 25 years old.

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:43 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
no ones arguing that forsberg wasnt a more balanced player. forsberg was a better playmaker and better in the boards. but he isnt taking the capitals to finals.
So then what the hell are you arguing? What are your reasons for why Ovechkin is better? Can you back any of them up?

You honestly don't know what you are talking about when it comes to Forsberg. Teams with dominate 2-way forwards do a lot better in the playoffs. They probably have the most impact on the ice.

Old
04-04-2012, 03:10 PM
211*

Quote:
So then what the hell are you arguing? What are your reasons for why Ovechkin is better? Can you back any of them up?

You honestly don't know what you are talking about when it comes to Forsberg. Teams with dominate 2-way forwards do a lot better in the playoffs. They probably have the most impact on the ice.
ovechkins offensive game in his prime is more impressive then forsbergs game. thats what i am sayin and maybe you should see who the hell was on forsbergs team when they won those two cups.

Old
04-04-2012, 03:11 PM
211*

Quote:
ovechkins offensive game in his prime is more impressive then forsbergs game. thats what i am sayin and maybe you should see who the hell was on forsbergs team when they won those two cups.
and when i mean forsberg game, i mean him at the top of his game.