HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

What do you think is the motivation behind the marketing push?

Old
04-01-2012, 08:54 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
What do you think is the motivation behind the marketing push?

I don't really recall much marketing being done the past few years.

Tonight, on my way to Tempe I saw 4 different billboards advertising the playoffs. Someone else said they saw 7 along I-17 and the 202.

The planes have been flying over the spring training games, I'm not aware of that having been done before.

The playoff deal - buy a ticket to a game, get a play-off ticket - has been pushed quite a bit.

There seems to be a real concerted effort to fill up seats for the last few games and the playoffs.

I have in my mind a very cynical motive for the sudden push, but also a more optimistic rationale. I don't want to say what either of them are so that I can see if others' opinions jibe with mine without giving any bias to what you all might think.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:52 PM
doaner

Squeeze the last few pennies out of Phx.

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Last year they did it so if you bought 2 games at season ticket prices you got the second playoff game at the same rate but the planes this year are a new twist. Personally I think it borderlines minor league but if it works, genius.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:26 PM
PhoPhan

I imagine the motivation is to sell more tickets.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:40 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Whoa now, that's plausible and straight forward, I think you need to rethink and come back with something more elaborate.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:31 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Yes, obviously.

But why now? Why, after several years of little to no marketing, has it been determined that at this particular point, it would be a good idea to start marketing the team?

Old
04-02-2012, 06:37 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

There have been "hockey the hard way" billboards up on the freeways all season

Last season they didn't do a lot of ticket promos but they did do a lot in 2009-2010. Sandstorm, circle K promotions, etc.

They may be pushing the playoffs specifically a little harder because the team isn't as high up in the standings and people are probably a little ho-hum about the whole thing given last seasons exit.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:33 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

That would make sense - playoffs aren't a novelty, but not doing well last year maybe the sales are a little slower?

I have seen the hockey the hard way signs but only every once in a while - probably in 10-12 trips to/from the in-laws, I've seen the signs once or twice. The playoff ones are in heavier rotation - 4 times on just one trip.

Old
04-02-2012, 10:05 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
That would make sense - playoffs aren't a novelty, but not doing well last year maybe the sales are a little slower?

I have seen the hockey the hard way signs but only every once in a while - probably in 10-12 trips to/from the in-laws, I've seen the signs once or twice. The playoff ones are in heavier rotation - 4 times on just one trip.
I live in central Phoenix and drive all over the valley 3-4 days a week, and it seems I see a Hockey billboard whenever I'm out driving. But there are thousands of miles of streets and roadways in the Valley, and relatively few billboards and maybe I just see the one or 2 in use when I'm out.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

The problem with playoff tickets is people don't know when the dates will be. If you buy tickets for one game and it ends up being during the week, then people might not be able to go. That is why sales for the playoff tickets have been so slow and people are trying to up those sales. The same can be said for the Dbacks; last year the first game sold out but the second "Black Out" game was less than capacity. With the combination of being during the week and people not even knowing if the game would occur, slow sales occurred.

The worst case scenario would be to play Detroit in the first round. Sure the fake fans will go out and cheer on their Red Wings but I think the casual Coyotes fan would want to see how it plays out before they buy tickets. Many people I talk to assume that it would be another early exit. Playing another team might increase the excitement.

Old
04-02-2012, 12:24 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
The worst case scenario would be to play Detroit in the first round. Sure the fake fans will go out and cheer on their Red Wings but I think the casual Coyotes fan would want to see how it plays out before they buy tickets. Many people I talk to assume that it would be another early exit. Playing another team might increase the excitement.
Yeah, kind of a catch-22. Get Detroit, and the games sell out, but we have to put up with all the Dead Wing fans... Get a St. Louis or a Nashville, not so many visiting fans, but again with the "they can't even sell out a playoff game"

Vancouver and Chicago fall somewhere in between those two.

DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:27 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
Yeah, kind of a catch-22. Get Detroit, and the games sell out, but we have to put up with all the Dead Wing fans... Get a St. Louis or a Nashville, not so many visiting fans, but again with the "they can't even sell out a playoff game"

I imagine any playoff game would sell out regardless of opponent, but maybe I'm just being optimistic.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Flying Chalupa

A playoff series against chicago would sell out instantaneously and as a bonus they are much better behaved than detroit fans.

Flying Chalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Chalupa View Post
A playoff series against chicago would sell out instantaneously and as a bonus they are much better behaved than detroit fans.
I would agree, but me being a Coyotes fan and the lady of the house being a Chicago fan, what would that do to our relationship?

Old
04-02-2012, 01:15 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

You'd probably sleep on the couch.

Old
04-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Quote:
You'd probably sleep on the couch.
So I have to pay for the tickets, suffer through being the minority, and my reward for winning the game is a date with the couch? Yeah that sounds about right.

Old
04-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post

Well keep in mind those people are going to find a reason to make comments regardless so worrying about them is futile. As they say, haters are going to hate.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

It makes more sense anyway to market the team more as you get closer to the playoffs and during the playoffs since this is the money making period for teams who are lucky to break even during the regular season. In fact, the playoffs is where any team really makes the money in a more gate driven league. Whether or not there is profit when its all said and done is another.

Also, winning often cures all as the deeper the playoff run the more of a ticket fanbase one team will build overtime.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:46 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

If the team leaves, money spent to build the fan base in a deep playoff run would be kind of a waste, though. If they were to win the cup, but then leave phx for parts unknown, how many of the new fans would be likely to follow the team?

I've only been a fan this year, of both the team and hockey in general. If the Yotes leave, I will likely follow whatever team doan goes to. If I were just getting on the bandwagon at playoff time, I can't imagine that I would build that sort of loyalty to a team that is no longer the hometown team, or even the same team at all. And I can say with 100% certainty that I wouldn't be traveling to catch a game, so ticket sales would be zero.

In markets where the team is stable, it seems like a good strategy. In a market where the team is leaving? It would seem like a waste to court fans who likely wouldn't stick around.

Old
04-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
In markets where the team is stable, it seems like a good strategy. In a market where the team is leaving? It would seem like a waste to court fans who likely wouldn't stick around.
The cynical side of me explains it away as a last minute media buy designed to buff up the fiction that theyve done everything they can to both sell the team & market the game in Phoenix.

They can point to the billboards, newspaper ads etc still fresh in peoples minds as being proof positive they did everything they could have, went to great expence, transferring the onus of responsibility for their failures on the City & lack of fan interest.

Where were these billboard ads pre-season in 2009, 2010 & 2011? Where did all of the Customer Service & Sales Reps disappear to over the same period, while the franchise was in the leagues foster care? What real effort did it make to market the team over the past 2.5-3yrs?. The answer is none. Zero. Now this?. Cheap Trick.

Either that, or blow me over with a feather & shiver me timbers, theyve got themselves a local buyer and this is job one on his docket. A fairy tale ending. I suppose one can only hope at this stage frakiewicz....

Last edited by Killion: 04-02-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:56 PM
XX
... Waiting

The marketing firm they are using is new to the sports advertising business. It's in their best interests to be able to show a positive correlation between their efforts and increased attendance. It wouldn't be unheard of for a firm to subsidize some of the costs in that sort of of situation. It also wouldn't be a stretch to say that someone at NHL HQ knows the marketing firm on a personal level and was able to secure more funding.

Moving or not, they need to maximize revenue and have continuity in place should a move fall through. Not advertising the team would become a self fulfilling prophecy. I'm not sure why so much thought is being put into this. You'd think fans would be more concerned about not having reached a deal in three years. Even if they stay another season, without CoG subsidy the price will only go up and thus the chance of a local owner go down.

All of the cloak-and-dagger crap aside, I love the new ads and think it's been a lot more effective than anything Moyes ever tried. If the team makes a deep run the league will be in a very awkward position. Not only will they have to move a franchise local fans have started to embrace, there simply might not be enough time for QC to get operations up and running. The Colisee has to be retrofitted in order to accommodate the Coyotes, but that isn't something that can be done without attracting attention. If Atlanta is any indication, the league wants to avoid the relocation news breaking before the team is done playing.

So win baby win.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
So win baby win.
Deliciously Evil XX. I like the way you think.

Go Deep Coyotes....

Old
04-03-2012, 06:41 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Killion, your cynicism aligns with my own...sad, since I'm generally a very optimistic and not so cynical person. I feel it's a last ditch effort to squeeze every penny they can out of the fans, but the speculations of XX also make sense.

I can't help thinking that if this had been going on the past few years we might have seen a little better attendance and fan buy-in. I've seen more Coyotes stickers and shirts in the past month than I've seen in years. Of course some of that is the fact that they won every game in February and are looking really good...but that also caused the media to notice them a bit, which caused a few non-hockey people to notice.

I agree, it could put the NHL in a difficult position if they went far in the play-off. Say they went all the way...and it's too late to move them to QC after the finals. Now there are all sorts of new fans interested in the team. Ticket sales in 2012-2013 are higher than ever before. Tons of new fans. A buyer could materialize...or not. If the team had a great year financially and then was moved after the 2013 season because that's what the NHL has planned, it would make the NHL look absolutely horrible.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Killion, your cynicism aligns with my own...it would make the NHL look absolutely horrible.
Yes, Im pretty much a half glass full type no matter how badly the odds are stacked against in any given situation, and it just galls me to no end when I percieve deception & a genuine lack of effort by quitters who wont accept responsibilty for what theyve wrought, fight their way out of it, show some character, flexibilty & WIN.

Yet here we are, another damning indictment against the NHL. Just how they could possibly look worse in Phoenix or around the continent to people who have followed this closely and watched them slowly suffocate a potentially great market absolutely appalling.

Bad enough they lost Atlanta. Both times. Now this. Though I took issue with Goldwaters interference, I also took issue with JR's original MOU, IEH's & MH's nonsensical Rocket Launches, but I particularily took/take issue with the NHL itself in enabling such farces to proceed in the first place.

Blackmail, Extortion, is this anyway to treat a municipality who right or wrong invested so much of their future in hosting an NHL franchise with a half a billion dollar investment?. Absolutely dispicable to then loot the towns coffers for even more when the league itself could have facilitated a sale easily at anytime without taking a financial hit themselves nor demanding egregious subsidies from a "partner & friend" in the COG.

Im just disgusted... they dont need to bend, apologise & get it done when riches await elsewhere, their price paid, or so their short term Crisis Mode thinking goes. Wouldnt you rather have saved Atlanta and now Phoenix, charging a QC, Winnipeg, Hamilton or Seattle etc an Expansion Fee of about 200M each in clear profit and used some of that coin to stabilize & facilitate sales elsewhere?. Apparently not. That right there, Winnipeg & QC alone represents a LOSS to the league of nearly 500M theyll never see in Expansion Fees.

But carry on gang, doing a wonderful job. League revenues never better.

Last edited by Killion: 04-03-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old
04-03-2012, 02:38 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I also took issue with JR's original MOU, IEH's & MH's nonsensical Rocket Launches, but I particularily took/take issue with the NHL itself in enabling such farces to proceed in the first place.

If it walks like a duck....

The reason deals have been what they are is the incredibly high risk of this fickle, apathetic marketplace that refuses to take ownership of the franchise.

I don't think you can blame the NHL for that.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote