HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

What do you think is the motivation behind the marketing push?

Old
04-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
If it walks like a duck....

The reason deals have been what they are is the incredibly high risk of this fickle, apathetic marketplace that refuses to take ownership of the franchise.

I don't think you can blame the NHL for that.
.... I dont agree. I dont think Phoenix is anymore apathetic or fickle than anywhere else in a multi-sport city of its size. Its up to ownership to compete for the bucks & loyalties of the market, and by rote the league itself, particularly so if the frickin league itself owns the franchise.

The reason deals have been what they are is because previous ownership ran the thing right into the ditch where it caught fire, Balsillie coming along with a tanker full of fuel. A real life Canadian Hoser' eh hole with his smarmy little college buddy in tow. That, combined with the culture of sport & entertainment facility subsidies in the state, a wounded & distressed asset, and we wound up with what went down.

Had the NHL stood up on its own formidable feet, flexed its muscles, got down to business & made something of the asset off the ice, in the community, beefed up sales, marketing & advertising, righted things just enough to show the gleaming hull of what could be an incredibly beautiful yacht, were creative & reasonable in pricing/terms etc etc etc a deal wouldve been done. They didnt do anything but point buyers to the City of Glendales Welfare Offices with bogus letters of introduction & credibility.

They wear this kihekah. Not Glendale. Not Goldwater. Not the Fans/Market. The N H effing L....

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.... I dont agree. I dont think Phoenix is anymore apathetic or fickle than anywhere else in a multi-sport city of its size. Its up to ownership to compete for the bucks & loyalties of the market, and by rote the league itself, particularly so if the frickin league itself owns the franchise.

The reason deals have been what they are is because previous ownership ran the thing right into the ditch where it caught fire, Balsillie coming along with a tanker full of fuel. A real life Canadian Hoser' eh hole with his smarmy little college buddy in tow. That, combined with the culture of sport & entertainment facility subsidies in the state, a wounded & distressed asset, and we wound up with what went down.

Had the NHL stood up on its own formidable feet, flexed its muscles, got down to business & made something of the asset off the ice, in the community, beefed up sales, marketing & advertising, righted things just enough to show the gleaming hull of what could be an incredibly beautiful yacht, were creative & reasonable in pricing/terms etc etc etc a deal wouldve been done. They didnt do anything but point buyers to the City of Glendales Welfare Offices with bogus letters of introduction & credibility.

They wear this kihekah. Not Glendale. Not Goldwater. Not the Fans/Market. The N H effing L....
Maybe the NHL has always been willing to do whatever it takes, but completely unwilling to do one single bit more than it needs to, even one second sooner than it needs to.

If the team relocates this summer, you will know you were correct. If the team is operated in Glendale at a loss by the nhl without any help from the cog, you will know you were mistaken.

Maybe they meant, "price is not an issue" as long as cog is getting us 25m/yr and we still have nibbles on the line. Maybe as soon as all the fish are officially spooked ajd the cog finally gives up, maybe then we will see the asking price come down.

I seriously doubt it, but who knows?

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:40 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Maybe as soon as all the fish are officially spooked ajd the cog finally gives up, maybe then we will see the asking price come down.
Wouldn't be wise. Why keep the team on your books (while it depreciates in value, no less) when you can expedite a sale by asking for less right away? Because you need to float the team until your next destination has a NHL facility either ready or committed to. Because you are mandated by the governors to not lose money on the Coyotes and thus recoup at least $170 million. And because the only ones willing to pay that amount are potential relocations, mainly QC.

You don't play poker with an asset you have no interest in owning for three years. I'm not saying there's no potential for the NHL to have a change of heart and cave on the price. Just that they have absolutely zero reason to, logically speaking, and being a cold, calculating businessman is what Bettman is all about. He's a lawyer, after all. There's no malicious intent or grand conspiracy here. The NHL needs at least $170 million to satisfy the governors and maintain team values across the board. An NHL team in Phoenix is not worth that, hence all the subsidy attempts.

That hasn't changed in three years and the amount of economic recovery it would take to see a reversal of fortunes operates on the scale of decades, not months. However, the Coyotes could potentially be a bargaining chip in the upcoming CBA negotiations. In exchange for taking a hit on the sale of the Coyotes, the league expands by two teams, giving the players more job security. The NHLPA generally does not like to see teams move but has a vested interest in increasing revenue. A write-off sale of Phoenix, with a fraction of the proceeds used from the expansion teams used to pay for it satisfies all parties. Generally speaking, moving the Coyotes spoils the opportunity to reap new expansion fees. Keeping the team has its problems, like having the team indefinitely owned by the league when they need to get rid of it. It might just come down to the govnernors' appetite for expansion.

Bettman doesn't particularly care about Phoenix or his sun belt plan failing. I think a lot of false hope has been attributed to the pride factor. A businessman like Bettman doesn't fall for the sunk cost fallacy. Two teams leaving due to bad circumstance doesn't tarnish his reputation. The league has never been better. It all comes down to one question; Why would the league accept less than $170 million when they can get more from another market?

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:01 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.... I dont agree. I dont think Phoenix is anymore apathetic or fickle than anywhere else in a multi-sport city of its size.
Trust me, it is. We have little heritage here and too few who believe in being part of creating the new.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:15 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Trust me, it is. We have little heritage here and too few who believe in being part of creating the new.
It's a city of transplants. They are probably average sports fans, but are slow to embrace the home team. It doesn't help that all four teams have historically been run like crap. The Suns and D'Backs both had chances to break out of that situation but squabbled it away. Cardinals seem to be making some progress.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote