HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART III

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Isles Enforcer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
Did you see what happened to Ullstrom at all? Does it look serious?
Ullstrom and Landry didnt come back. DiBo fought the goalie with 1 minute to go and will be suspended for instigating a fight in the last 5 mins of a game.

Old
04-08-2012, 12:50 AM
mczerkawski21

The DiBo incident was bizarre to say the least. He litterally just attacked their goalie and just started hitting him unmercifully. Brock Nelson absolutley stood out. VERY strong on the puck and he used his body very well. He even threw it around a bit. Good instincts as well, he just knew where to be at all times. Easily one of Bports best players tonight. Another player who absolutley stood out to me was Katic. AMAZING skater and he even threw some nice hits...gonna have a spot with the big club next year

Old
04-08-2012, 07:39 AM
StrongIslanders90

How did Brock Look?

Old
04-08-2012, 07:56 AM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczerkawski21 View Post
The DiBo incident was bizarre to say the least. He litterally just attacked their goalie and just started hitting him unmercifully. Brock Nelson absolutley stood out. VERY strong on the puck and he used his body very well. He even threw it around a bit. Good instincts as well, he just knew where to be at all times. Easily one of Bports best players tonight. Another player who absolutley stood out to me was Katic. AMAZING skater and he even threw some nice hits...gonna have a spot with the big club next year
I was surprised more fans did not get on the Katic train when they saw him playing for the big club last year...I noticed him right away. Solid looking player for sure...

Old
04-08-2012, 08:05 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczerkawski21 View Post
Katic,Donovan,De Haan and Ness.The competition for 1-2 roster spots with the big club,should be a good one.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:11 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Katic,Donovan,De Haan and Ness.The competition for 1-2 roster spots with the big club,should be a good one.
Hopefully one spot. I would like to bring in a solid vet like Johnny Oduya.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:19 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
I think they'll probably go for a Sarich more than a guy like Oduya. Bigger, more physical RH shot. Once Staios and Jurcina leave we will have 1 RH shot in our top-6(Hamonic). All of our prospects on the cusp at Bridge are LH shots. IMO, it would be wise to bring one in on the UFA market.

BTW, if we do sign a veteran we will still have 2 open spots for the rookies to compete for. Personally, I think that will be a good thing. These guys are going to know in the offseason that this could be their shot. I wouldn't be surprised to see all of Donovan, de Haan, Ness, Katic and possibly one of Murray/Dumba elevate their games in TC next year. Should be fun to watch.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:30 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
I read comments from his agent about how Oduya is a top 4 defenseman.Sounds like he's not giving any discounts to sign and not gonna let gms try to talk down Oduya's on ice impact .Good news imo for a team like the isles.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:32 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I would of said ness but Donovan has won me over.....In 3 games I could see the Potential....Kid can skate carry the puck and can Pass....

Old
04-08-2012, 10:52 AM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think they'll probably go for a Sarich more than a guy like Oduya. Bigger, more physical RH shot. Once Staios and Jurcina leave we will have 1 RH shot in our top-6(Hamonic). All of our prospects on the cusp at Bridge are LH shots. IMO, it would be wise to bring one in on the UFA market.

BTW, if we do sign a veteran we will still have 2 open spots for the rookies to compete for. Personally, I think that will be a good thing. These guys are going to know in the offseason that this could be their shot. I wouldn't be surprised to see all of Donovan, de Haan, Ness, Katic and possibly one of Murray/Dumba elevate their games in TC next year. Should be fun to watch.
I've heard Sarich's game has regressed and wouldn't be much of an upgrade. Also, we NEEd to pursure at least one of Dennis Wideman or Jason Garrison.

Old
04-08-2012, 01:19 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
I've heard Sarich's game has regressed and wouldn't be much of an upgrade. Also, we NEEd to pursure at least one of Dennis Wideman or Jason Garrison.
Wideman would be perfect, although he's going to command a lot of money. Garrison would also be a big upgrade, but again, someone will offer him a ton. I think if we are comfortable with paying that kind of salary, we might as well make a play for Suter. As unlikely as it is for him to sign here, it couldn't hurt to try(much like we did with Ehrhoff last year).

Old
04-08-2012, 01:40 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Wideman would be perfect, although he's going to command a lot of money. Garrison would also be a big upgrade, but again, someone will offer him a ton. I think if we are comfortable with paying that kind of salary, we might as well make a play for Suter. As unlikely as it is for him to sign here, it couldn't hurt to try(much like we did with Ehrhoff last year).
The difference is Suter will command money from a top team while I can see Wideman and Garrison taking the best offer. Suter will NEVER come here.

Old
04-08-2012, 02:18 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I would of said ness but Donovan has won me over.....In 3 games I could see the Potential....Kid can skate carry the puck and can Pass....
I would Have said Donovan, but Katic has been developed a bit more. I'd like Donovan to spend more time at the bridge. It won't hurt him to develop down there as opposed to rushing the kid. He's still a bit weak on his feet and he just fell without being touched, in the defensive zone, multiple times. Katic has a nice bit of mean-ness, even if he's a bit smaller. I like his game better at this time.

Old
04-08-2012, 02:25 PM
F127

Quote:
The difference is Suter will command money from a top team while I can see Wideman and Garrison taking the best offer. Suter will NEVER come here.
I agree, Suter didn't want to negotiate a contract with the Preds until he saw what they'd do at the trade deadline to bolster their lineup. He wanted to know how serious they were about winning. If he was uncertain about signing a deal with Nashville I think it's safe to say he will never sign with the Isles.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:42 PM
islandermaniac

niagara wins 3-1 today. strome held off the score sheet. this cannot be surprising at this point as he has struggled on the road when his opponent has the last change. his home stats are: 4 gp, 6g, 3a, 9 pts, even +/-. on the road his stats are: 4 gp, 0g, 2a, 2 pts, -1.

those stats are pretty night and day. the kid seems to be able to play with a favourable matchup but not with good defenders on the ice. we'll see what the rest of the spring holds for the kid, but for his team to win the ohl championship, which they can, he needs to step up in EVERY game...not just the ones at home.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:54 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
niagara wins 3-1 today. strome held off the score sheet. this cannot be surprising at this point as he has struggled on the road when his opponent has the last change. his home stats are: 4 gp, 6g, 3a, 9 pts, even +/-. on the road his stats are: 4 gp, 0g, 2a, 2 pts, -1.

those stats are pretty night and day. the kid seems to be able to play with a favourable matchup but not with good defenders on the ice. we'll see what the rest of the spring holds for the kid, but for his team to win the ohl championship, which they can, he needs to step up in EVERY game...not just the ones at home.
Very good point. The playoffs are a better gauge of how effective and NHL ready a prospect is. The 1st round is usually where most of the top guys pad their stats, but things get obviously more difficult the further you go. I hope Strome keeps it up. Didn't he score 2 goals the other night?

Old
04-08-2012, 04:33 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Very good point. The playoffs are a better gauge of how effective and NHL ready a prospect is. The 1st round is usually where most of the top guys pad their stats, but things get obviously more difficult the further you go. I hope Strome keeps it up. Didn't he score 2 goals the other night?
interesting that you mention first round production. nino niederreiter had a stat padding first series last year and then came crashing down to earth in his remaining series. he had 4 goals in 4 games against everett and then only 5 goals in his next 17 playoff games. this could have given isles management pause (along with nino doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the preseason), but it didn't.

let's hope ryan finds a way to gut out some production this year in the playoffs as his last playoff was a weak one. strome had 106 points in 65 games in the regular season only to follow it with 12 points in 14 playoff games (a mere 2 assists along with a -6 in his team's loss to mississauga last spring).

i became more of a believer in the kid after the world junior tournament and how he followed that performance up when returning to the ohl. in 22 gp after that tourney, he posted 14 g, 21 a, 35 pts, +26. even though this only matched his ppg stats from the year before, what i really liked was the fact that during that span he was held pointless only 3 times and was a minus only once!

so, the chips are down, kid. show us you can play in big games no matter whose barn it's in!

oh, and since you asked about strome's recent production, he scored a very nice goal in game one against brampton. he was not on the score sheet in game 6 in oshawa or today in brampton.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:09 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Never say never. I still don't see how you don't offer him a contract even if you don't expect him to sign here. If you're willing to spend the money you need to at least try to sign the best defenseman available.

Old
04-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Sea Dogg
Rookie User

6'3 , 220lbs , 20 points in 34 games, +11, 65 shots.. No love for Landry in any of these posts?

Old
04-09-2012, 02:22 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dogg View Post
6'3 , 220lbs , 20 points in 34 games, +11, 65 shots.. No love for Landry in any of these posts?
he's a nice story...but he is pushing 30..right now he's a nice ahl dman..the one i strongely consider giving a look is olesky

Old
04-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Sea Dogg
Rookie User

Yeah you're right he does fit nicely in the ahl. I wouldn't count out a 28 year old though. D mature as they get older and his points this year are showing it!
He'll get a few call ups next year I'm predicting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
he's a nice story...but he is pushing 30..right now he's a nice ahl dman..the one i strongely consider giving a look is olesky

Old
04-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dogg View Post
Yeah you're right he does fit nicely in the ahl. I wouldn't count out a 28 year old though. D mature as they get older and his points this year are showing it!
He'll get a few call ups next year I'm predicting.
More likely to get an offer from a European team that he'll get a nice little offer that gets him
A) better pay
B) a car to use free of charge
C) an apartment free of charge
D) a shorter schedule and fewer practices

Really little reason to stick around in the AHL at this point unless he truly still believes he can make it to the NHL.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:45 PM
BennyBST

I had the opportunity to talk to David Ullstrom tonight at a sound tigers booster club event and he said that Johan Sundstrom will sign with the Islanders. He signed a two year extension with his SEL club as insurance just in case the Islanders don't offer him a contract, which they will according to David.

I asked Ullstrom about Filip Forsberg too and he says he should be a very good NHL player, has size and the smarts.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
I had the opportunity to talk to David Ullstrom tonight at a sound tigers booster club event and he said that Johan Sundstrom will sign with the Islanders. He signed a two year extension with his SEL club as insurance just in case the Islanders don't offer him a contract, which they will according to David.

I asked Ullstrom about Filip Forsberg too and he says he should be a very good NHL player, has size and the smarts.
Very intriguing to hear! Thanks for the info!

Old
04-11-2012, 07:32 AM
BillD

Quote:

Did you ask if he is healthy to go before playoffs?

Closed Thread