HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART III

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2012, 07:43 AM
NYI78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Did you ask if he is healthy to go before playoffs?
i talked to him monday and he said he is good to go...

Old
04-11-2012, 07:54 AM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
I had the opportunity to talk to David Ullstrom tonight at a sound tigers booster club event and he said that Johan Sundstrom will sign with the Islanders. He signed a two year extension with his SEL club as insurance just in case the Islanders don't offer him a contract, which they will according to David.

I asked Ullstrom about Filip Forsberg too and he says he should be a very good NHL player, has size and the smarts.
great news! i look forward to seeing Sundstrom in the fold.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:03 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
i talked to him monday and he said he is good to go...
I spoke to Cizikas too, he said he expects to be ready for the playoffs and that him and the training staff are playing it safe now by sitting out. He wouldn't go into specifics about his injury either, he just said it was an "upper body" injury.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:11 AM
BennyBST

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but Ryan Strome had 4 assists on 6 of Niagara's goals last night. Niagara won 6-2 and has a 2-0 lead on Brampton.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but Ryan Strome had 4 assists on 6 of Niagara's goals last night. Niagara won 6-2 and has a 2-0 lead on Brampton.
Niagara leads the series 3-0. Encouraging that Strome is having a much better playoffs than last year.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:06 AM
periferal

Quote:
Thank you Benny. I can't follow the playoffs, but come to these boards to read posts just like this.

Speaking of...Where are all the Brock Nelson observations? He's only one of our top prospects...

Old
04-11-2012, 11:40 AM
scott99

Quote:
Nice to see Strome elevate his play during the playoffs. In the regular season, he averaged 1.48 points a game, in the playoffs 1.67 a game. Obviously, he's a very gifted OFFENSIVE player. Wouldn't it be a blast if Niagra could make it to the Memorial Cup ? We'd see Strome vs Kabanov. That would be a definite DVR moment.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:42 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Thank you Benny. I can't follow the playoffs, but come to these boards to read posts just like this.

Speaking of...Where are all the Brock Nelson observations? He's only one of our top prospects...
I actually haven't seen Nelson play yet, I heard good stuff though, I think from Isles Enforcer and Sneekypete. I heard he was on the 2nd pp unit and didn't look too out of placem. I saw him at the sound tigers' booster club event and he needs to really bulk up. Calvin de Haan's arms are rail thin, so he needs to put on like 10 lbs.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

If a guy is on Bport I usually post there but here is what i saw in him in his first game:
1 night of Nelson..
Pretty strong on his skates, skates well, uses his body, willing to go to the dirty areas, tryed to get to open ice and was defensively aware....
I am hoping to see him and numerous other Tigers play 20 more plus games this season....

Old
04-11-2012, 01:35 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Nice to see Strome elevate his play during the playoffs. In the regular season, he averaged 1.48 points a game, in the playoffs 1.67 a game. Obviously, he's a very gifted OFFENSIVE player. Wouldn't it be a blast if Niagra could make it to the Memorial Cup ? We'd see Strome vs Kabanov. That would be a definite DVR moment.
strome has 15 points in 9 playoff games. 2, count 'em 2 of those points have come on the road when the other team has the defensive matchup they want. i would like to see a more consistent effort from young ryan. what say you, son? do have what it takes to produce in a hostile environment? i would like to see that before i'm overly impressed. heck, at this point his points per game average is only equal to what he did in last year's regular season! you have to step up in EVERY game in the playoffs. that's what will show nhl readiness.

Last edited by islandermaniac: 04-11-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old
04-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
If a guy is on Bport I usually post there but here is what i saw in him in his first game:
1 night of Nelson..
Pretty strong on his skates, skates well, uses his body, willing to go to the dirty areas, tryed to get to open ice and was defensively aware....
I am hoping to see him and numerous other Tigers play 20 more plus games this season....
Nelson does need to add some poundage though. Hes a big kid and can probably make it now, but adding some weight to his frame will make him that much better.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:20 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
strome has 15 points in 9 playoff games. 2, count 'em 2 of those points have come on the road when the other team has the defensive matchup they want. i would like to see a more consistent effort from young ryan. what say you, son? do have what it takes to produce in a hostile environment? i would like to see that before i'm overly impressed. heck, at this point his points per game average is only equal to what he did in last year's regular season! you have to step up in EVERY game in the playoffs. that's what will show nhl readiness.
Geez, you just can't please everyone. He had a ******** of assists last season, this season his points per game were lower but his goals per game was higher. This year's playoff stats are better than last years. He had a great WJHC, what more do you want from the guy? Despite the point differential, I consider this season just as successful as last season, if not more successful.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:17 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Geez, you just can't please everyone. He had a ******** of assists last season, this season his points per game were lower but his goals per game was higher. This year's playoff stats are better than last years. He had a great WJHC, what more do you want from the guy? Despite the point differential, I consider this season just as successful as last season, if not more successful.
in a post on the last page, i discussed how he has been very good since the wjc. i won't get into it in this post, but i pointed out some numbers of his that are very impressive. to be honest, his numbers should be impressive. he is a good player on a good team.

the crowd wanting to have him on the island next year should really examine his ability to play in serious traffic with guys in his face. that is the one thing he hasn't proven he is able to do yet in this playoff or the last playoff, for that matter. he still has a lot of time to do so (i'm on record as saying i'm becoming more of a believer) as his squad could be on the march to a championship.

so, to answer your question about what i want from the guy...i want him to be more consistent and to show he can produce in a junior hockey rink that is not his own. that should be the expectation, especially for those who are hoping to see him on the island next year.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:34 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
The Isles need to handle Strome the way Brayden Schenn, Alex Pietrangelo, etc were handled. In this day and age, almost all top 5 picks play in the NHL as 18 or 19 year olds. Here's a look at top 5 picks since 2006 and how many years they spent developing in Juniors/College/elsewhere before making NHL debut and their stats in that league after being drafted:

1) Erik Johnson: 1 year in WCHA (4-20-24 in 41 GP)
2) Jordan Staal: NHL
3) Jonathan Toews: 1 year in WCHA (18-28-46 in 34 GP)
4) Nicklas Backstrom: 1 year in SEL (12-28-40 in 45 GP)
5) Phil Kessel: NHL

1) Patrick Kane: NHL
2) James Van Riemsdyk: 2 years in HE (28-46-74 in 67 GP), 7 GP in AHL (1-1-2)
3) Kyle Turris: 1 year in WCHA (11-24-35 in 36 GP), 1 full disjointed AHL season after spending 1 season in NHL (28-43-71 in 86 GP)
4) Thomas Hickey: 2 years in WHL (27-69-96 in 120 GP), 3 years in AHL (11-51-62 in 176 GP)
5) Karl Alzner: 1 year in WHL (7-29-36 in 60 GP), 2 years in AHL (7-34-41 in 104 GP)

1) Steven Stamkos: NHL
2) Drew Doughty: NHL
3) Zach Bogosian: NHL
4) Alex Pietrangelo: 2 years in OHL (17-41-58 in 61 GP); important to note that in both years post-draft AP was in the NHL for 8, and 9 games, and both times was sent down. This, along with WJC participation was the reason that he only played 61 games in 2 years.
5) Luke Schenn: NHL

1) John Tavares: NHL
2) Victor Hedman: NHL
3) Matt Duchene: NHL
4) Evander Kane: NHL
5) Brayden Schenn: 2 years in WHL (56-100-156 in 88 GP), Short stints in AHL (9-10-19 in 14 GP); Much like AP, he too got NHL games (1+9=10) in before being sent down to juniors in the 2 years subsequent to getting drafted.

1) Taylor Hall: NHL
2) Tyler Seguin: NHL
3) Erik Grudbransson: 1 year in OHL (12-22-34 in 44 GP)
4) Ryan Johansen: 1 year in WHL (40-52-92 in 63 GP)
5) Nino Niederreiter: 1 year in WHL (41-29-70 in 55 GP); 9 game stint in NHL (1-1-2) before being sent down last year

1) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: NHL
2) Gabriel Landeskog: NHL
3) Jonathan Huberdeau: 1 year in QMJHL (30-42-72 in 37 GP)
4) Adam Larsson: NHL
5) Ryan Strome: 1 year in OHL (30-38-68 in 46 GP)

In the last 6 years, this is how the 30 top 5 picks were handled:

Straight to the NHL: 16/30 players

Jordan Staal
Phil Kessel
Patrick Kane
Steven Stamkos
Drew Doughty
Zach Bogosian
Luke Schenn
John Tavares
Victor Hedman
Matt Duchene
Evander Kane
Taylor Hall
Tyler Seguin
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Gabriel Landeskog
Adam Larsson

1 developmental season before NHL: 8/30

Erik Johnson
Jonathan Toews
Nicklas Backstrom
Kyle Turris* (sent back to AHL after 1 NHL season)
Erik Grudbransson
Ryan Johansen
Nino Niederreiter
Jonathan Huberdeau* (will likely be in NHL next year)
Ryan Strome* (status for next year unknown)

2 developmental years before NHL: 5/30

James Van Riemsdyk
Kyle Turris* (belongs in this group too because of the AHL season he played in his 2nd pro season)
Alex Pietrangelo
Brayden Schenn
Nino Niederreiter* (will likely be in AHL next season, much like Kyle Turris)
Ryan Strome* (I put him here because I'm hopeful he stays another year)

2+ developmental years: 2/30

Thomas Hickey
Karl Alzner

Conclusions:

-Of the 30 top 5 picks, only 2 saw significant AHL time before becoming NHL regulars (Turris, Alzner), and 1 still being in the AHL (Hickey).
-Only 3/30 were allowed to play in a 2nd full season of juniors/college (van Riemsdyk, Pietrangelo, Schenn).
-24/30 top 5 picks are NHL regulars a year after they were drafted. That is 80 percent.

Of all the top 5 picks in the past 6 seasons, the best comparable to Nino is van Riemsdyk based on size, draft position and skill set. The latter was given 2 years at the college level before entering the NHL. Nino was given only 1. In JVR's rookie season he collected 15-20-35 in 78 gp in year 1, 21-19-40 in 75 gp in year 2, and 11-13-24 in 43 gp in year 3. In his first 3 years as a pro, JVR has averaged 41 pts/82 GP on a good team. That's hardly amazing, but good enough to be a 2nd/3rd liner. It also demonstrates that power forwards are a) more difficult to project and/or b) take a longer time to develop.

The Isles likely should have kept him in Portland one more year, but top 5 picks aren't usually kept in juniors for more than 1 season. In the past 6 years, only 2 forwards spent 2 seasons in juniors/college: Brayden Schenn and James Van Riemsdyk.

Old
04-12-2012, 01:34 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Kabanov has had underwhelming regular seasons (statistically) in the Q but is well over a ppg in BOTH playoff years. Maybe that's a good sign?

I hope he has a strong season in Bridgeport next year.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:28 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Strome and Niagara move on with the sweep; Strome tied for 3rd with 17 pts. in 10 games.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:28 PM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Niagara just advanced to the OHL Eastern Conference Championship Series winning 3-1. Ryan Strome had 2 assists.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:46 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Kabanov has had underwhelming regular seasons (statistically) in the Q but is well over a ppg in BOTH playoff years. Maybe that's a good sign?

I hope he has a strong season in Bridgeport next year.
Word in Prospects board is that Shawnigan has three lines they like to use evenly, so that can partially explain Kabanov's disappointing point production.

He says he is committed to working on his two-way game and is a very good puck distributor. His maturity seems to be genuine which is definitely good.

That being said, I wouldn't expect him to be a star. Hopefully he makes it as a solid second line wing.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:49 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Niagara just advanced to the OHL Eastern Conference Championship Series winning 3-1. Ryan Strome had 2 assists.
Good to see Strome continue his solid play. I hope Niagara makes it to the Memorial Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
Word in Prospects board is that Shawnigan has three lines they like to use evenly, so that can partially explain Kabanov's disappointing point production.

He says he is committed to working on his two-way game and is a very good puck distributor. His maturity seems to be genuine which is definitely good.

That being said, I wouldn't expect him to be a star. Hopefully he makes it as a solid second line wing.
You're correct about Shawinigan rolling 3 lines. From reports, KK has been the standout forward with Chaput. Looking forward to the rest of the playoffs and Memorial Cup for Kirill.

Old
04-12-2012, 08:57 PM
miscreant
Charles in Charge!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
...also first star, and it was on the road!

Old
04-14-2012, 01:57 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscreant View Post
...also first star, and it was on the road!
the kid must read hfboards!

Old
04-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Degeneration Rex

In the next round, Niagara is going to play the winner of the Barrie-Ottawa series which is tied 3-3.
Game 7 is Sunday.

Old
04-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Does anyone know who lists the handedness on prospects on HockeysFuture? They list Brock Nelson as right handed when the picture right above it clearly shows that he is left handed. I imagine it doesn't annoy people as much as it annoys me but it's what ever.

Old
04-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7qAzkh6qcU

Interesting.

Old
04-14-2012, 04:51 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
In the next round, Niagara is going to play the winner of the Barrie-Ottawa series which is tied 3-3.
Game 7 is Sunday.
it is 3-2 for barrie with game 6 sunday in barrie.

Closed Thread