HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Offseason Trades & FA Acquisitions Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 05:37 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Would love to add Schultz, plus the amount of ******** in the Schultz threads would be legendary when he signs with the Isles.

The only thing we really have to offer is ice-time though. With our luck though he probably ends up signing with the Rangers.
Other than ice-time the Islanders can offer him the max ELC, because it's full of bonuses that Schultz may not be able to reach. But the ice-time is big, he'd eventually be "the guy" if he signed here.

Old
05-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Other than ice-time the Islanders can offer him the max ELC, because it's full of bonuses that Schultz may not be able to reach. But the ice-time is big, he'd eventually be "the guy" if he signed here.
im pretty sure he wouldnt even have a ELC, i think he would be a FA, right?

Old
05-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Since he's a right handed shot the Isles can offer him a spot next to Streit.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:13 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
Even though he'd be a ufa,he'd still have to sign a ELC.

The rookie max+ bonuses.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:20 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Thanks for the update. I hope it gets done, bc without him and not getting a guy like Parise or Semin are lineup would be pretty ugly.

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Bailey-Nielsen-Grabner
Martin-Cizikas-Ullstrom
x-Reasoner-x

Niederreiter regardless of what happens should be in the AHL, same goes for Kabanov and Nelson. Strome should play another year of Juniors. I can see Snow drafting Forsberg though and having him replace PA, which would be dumb. Bottom line is, if he can't re-sign PA he MUST replace him with a pretty damn good player through free agency or trades, he can't put Rookies into the lineup and expect to be any better.
Yeah, it's pretty much a given that this team will take a huge step backwards if PA is lost and not replaced. When we first got him I never thought I would say something like that, but now it's painfully obvious. I don't like that he hasn't been signed yet and I think the longer it takes the less of a chance it's going to happen.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:22 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
Still has to sign an ELC. You have to be over 27 or played in the NHL for 7 years to become a veteran UFA. Since he's neither of those, he has to sign an ELC (I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Since he's a right handed shot the Isles can offer him a spot next to Streit.
Even MacDonald, but yes he could play next to Streit.

Streit-Schultz
MacDonald-Hamonic

He has no threat of losing out on top-4 minutes unless he really stinks. Scouts make it seem like he's a safe bet to be an immediate contributor, so I can't see him stinking to be a realistic issue.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:24 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Yeah, it's pretty much a given that this team will take a huge step backwards if PA is lost and not replaced. When we first got him I never thought I would say something like that, but now it's painfully obvious. I don't like that he hasn't been signed yet and I think the longer it takes the less of a chance it's going to happen.
If PA doesn't come back, Brad Boyes might be a nice, cheap option for the 2nd line. 1 year, $2 million to play on the 2nd line?

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-Boyes

Old
05-31-2012, 08:27 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
If PA doesn't come back, Brad Boyes might be a nice, cheap option for the 2nd line. 1 year, $2 million to play on the 2nd line?

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-Boyes
possibly, i just don't think Boyes has much more to offer, kind of like Cheecho. Once you lose that foot speed and have nothing else to bring to the table you are done. I guess he can stand in front of the net and Nielsen can do all the work to get him the puck.

With your lines though, I think Grabner would have to show his 1st year form to get back to the second line. Going into next season I think Bailey has replaced Grabner on that 2nd line until training camp comes around and we can see who is doing what.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:52 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
possibly, i just don't think Boyes has much more to offer, kind of like Cheecho. Once you lose that foot speed and have nothing else to bring to the table you are done. I guess he can stand in front of the net and Nielsen can do all the work to get him the puck.

With your lines though, I think Grabner would have to show his 1st year form to get back to the second line. Going into next season I think Bailey has replaced Grabner on that 2nd line until training camp comes around and we can see who is doing what.
True, I wouldn't mind seeing Bailey start on the 2nd line this year either. I don't know, Boyes would just be an experiment anyway, easily tradable with that contract.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:49 AM
empire7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Someone suggested signing Souray.He is a ufa.There is bad blood between Souray and Streit.

On the main trade board,a Stars fans proposed Robidas for either Lee or the NYI 2nd.
Below is a look at the Stars defenseman,their play this season.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/05...46&feedID=3799

Stephane Robidas - 35 - 2 years remaining on contract at $3.3m per season (UFA 2014)
Robidas has logged 24 minutes of ice time per game for 4 seasons running.. At 35, there are signs of diminishing skills at times, but Robidas is one of those players that you really are happy to have. He sets a strong example for younger players and gives you everything he has. He would just be better served as well by someone elite taking the No. 1 spot of this unit. Like Goligoski, if he was pushed down a spot or two, you would be very happy, rather than a feeling that he is being over-exposed at times.

Sheldon Souray - 35 - Unrestricted Free Agent
their are 3 kinds of nights with Souray at this age. Nights when he looks like a franchise defenseman and leads your team into battle. Nights when his feet look slow and father time has caught him. And, nights where he is missing due to nagging injuries. On those nights when he was right, he was clearly everything this squad has been seeking on the backend. But, how many nights were there?
Makes no sense for the Islanders to trade a second rounder or lee for Stephane Robidas. We are not a cup contending team at the moment so its not like the aqusition of a veteran defenseman is going to help us greatly. I realize the who "experience" thing to our younger players.. but lets get real its Stephane Robidas not Nicklas Lidstrom.. Not much incentive to trade a decent pick or prospect for a 35 year old defensemen who is okay.

Old
06-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Tavaresfan91

I would like to sign wideman and Gilroy that would help our back end IMO Streit-wideman Hammer-amac. Gilroy-dehan Resign Staios as the 7th

Old
06-01-2012, 08:49 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire7 View Post
Makes no sense for the Islanders to trade a second rounder or lee for Stephane Robidas. We are not a cup contending team at the moment so its not like the aqusition of a veteran defenseman is going to help us greatly. I realize the who "experience" thing to our younger players.. but lets get real its Stephane Robidas not Nicklas Lidstrom.. Not much incentive to trade a decent pick or prospect for a 35 year old defensemen who is okay.
I could not disagree more. The Isles should be trying to make the playoffs this year. Robidas would be a key component of that push. He is a legit top-4 defenseman, under contract for 2 years. He would make the Isles a better team, take some of the pressure off of Streit to move the puck up the ice. He's not big, but he hits and blocks shots. He is just a solid all around dman, the kind who would make the Isles better in every area.

If I had any confidence in our ability to sign a UFA, maybe I wouldn't do it, but I don't see us getting a better dman than Robidas. A top-4 of Streit-Hammer-Robidas-AMac is solid.

If we don't improve significantly on D, we won't be a playoff team in the next two years. If you want a young top-4 dman, you are going to need to give a lot more than a 2nd round pick. I don't want to do that. I think our first and top prospects shouldn't be moved (unless as part of a package for a star), but when i comes to 2nd and later round picks and B prospects, they should be on the table if it allows Garth to improve the roster.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:59 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire7 View Post
The ufa market,looks like it is Snow's first choice for improving the defense.
Botta says Snow wants a ufa defenseman,in the 28-32 yr old range.

The isles Yahoo team report,said the Isle wanted to sign a defense who could take on a larger role and were looking to Oduya. He's since been exteneded by the Blackhawks.

Ideally,the isles will sign Allen or Jackman this summer.Veteran top 4 defenseman,with something still left in the tank.
If Snow strikes out on his top choices ,I'd rather see him give up a 2nd and bring in someone like Robidas,who can still play in the top 4 at a high level,then add another Mottou from the ufa market.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:05 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I could not disagree more. The Isles should be trying to make the playoffs this year. Robidas would be a key component of that push. He is a legit top-4 defenseman, under contract for 2 years. He would make the Isles a better team, take some of the pressure off of Streit to move the puck up the ice. He's not big, but he hits and blocks shots. He is just a solid all around dman, the kind who would make the Isles better in every area.
I agree the isles should be trying to make the playoffs.They have a lot of solid prospects and moving a 2nd or a good 2nd tier prospect like Anders Lee will not be a huge blow to the prospect pool.

Quote:
If I had any confidence in our ability to sign a UFA, maybe I wouldn't do it, but I don't see us getting a better dman than Robidas. A top-4 of Streit-Hammer-Robidas-AMac is solid.
From Botta''s comment and the Newsday rumor that came from the Yahoo report,I expect Snow will try to add his blueliner from the ufa market.I'm just not sure he'll find someone still in his prime and playing at a high level.
Quote:
If we don't improve significantly on D, we won't be a playoff team in the next two years. If you want a young top-4 dman, you are going to need to give a lot more than a 2nd round pick. I don't want to do that. I think our first and top prospects shouldn't be moved (unless as part of a package for a star), but when i comes to 2nd and later round picks and B prospects, they should be on the table if it allows Garth to improve the roster
Over the next 2 seasons, I expect at least one of De Haan or Donovan to develop into 2nd pairing, nhl defenseman.Maybe the early success of MacDonald and Hamonic has spoiled me

Old
06-01-2012, 10:21 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The ufa market,looks like it is Snow's first choice for improving the defense.
Botta says Snow wants a ufa defenseman,in the 28-32 yr old range.

The isles Yahoo team report,said the Isle wanted to sign a defense who could take on a larger role and were looking to Oduya. He's since been exteneded by the Blackhawks.

Ideally,the isles will sign Allen or Jackman this summer.Veteran top 4 defenseman,with something still left in the tank.
If Snow strikes out on his top choices ,I'd rather see him give up a 2nd and bring in someone like Robidas,who can still play in the top 4 at a high level,then add another Mottou from the ufa market.
What bothers me about this is the fact that we all know the Isles are highly unlikely to bring in quality, proven help via UFA. By waiting until after July to look to trade there may be less options available. If Dallas is willing to trade someone like Robidas (and there is no reason to think they are) most likely they will do it at the draft.

There is always a chance of adding a Wizniewski type of player later, but why limit yourself and not explore the trade market now? Especially since the Isles could really use 2 quality dmen.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:36 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
What bothers me about this is the fact that we all know the Isles are highly unlikely to bring in quality, proven help via UFA. By waiting until after July to look to trade there may be less options available. If Dallas is willing to trade someone like Robidas (and there is no reason to think they are) most likely they will do it at the draft.

There is always a chance of adding a Wizniewski type of player later, but why limit yourself and not explore the trade market now? Especially since the Isles could really use 2 quality dmen.
Snow's supposedly kicking around the idea of bringing Staios back for a yr.
As for Robidas,the Stars have a very weak prospect pool.I think the Stars fan who suggested Robidas for the 2nd or for Lee, was trying to think up deals that would add young talent.

Streit
Hamonic
MacDonald
????
Staios
De Haan or Donovan
????

Old
06-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Hey Isles fans, any interest in Jordan Leopold? Not sure that Buffalo will be looking to trade him this offseason--it's largely dependant on what happens with the cap--but if they need/want to cut salary, Leopold is likely one of their first options given that he'd be attractive to several teams. He has one season left at $3.0m. He's a solid second-pairing guy who can play all three phases. He's a solid ES scorer, as well.

What, if anything, would you guys offer up for Leo?

Old
06-01-2012, 11:06 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Hey Isles fans, any interest in Jordan Leopold? Not sure that Buffalo will be looking to trade him this offseason--it's largely dependant on what happens with the cap--but if they need/want to cut salary, Leopold is likely one of their first options given that he'd be attractive to several teams. He has one season left at $3.0m. He's a solid second-pairing guy who can play all three phases. He's a solid ES scorer, as well.

What, if anything, would you guys offer up for Leo?
For 1 yr of Leopold?

The same thing I'd hope Snow would offer for 2 yrs of Robidas:Lee or the isles high second rounder.See if either the Stars or Sabres bite.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty much a given that this team will take a huge step backwards if PA is lost and not replaced
There's not much room left back there. Bringing PAP back only assures that NYI's offense remains the same (assuming he duplicates production); it's a shame that we have to worry about losing a player just to remain afloat (well, partially sunk), instead of augmenting the club.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:52 PM
The Mighty Tavares

If the Isles get Brad Boyes then ugh lol. It would be a silly move. Does anybody know what the max offer we could make to schultz is considering his situation is really unique? Not sure if someone mentioned it already. It would be a shame if there was a limit and other teams could afford it because the islanders really could use this guy and considering he has many choices (detroit, rangers, leafs, etc), the islanders would need to offer the most money to get him. Unfortunately, he played at Wisconsin with Stepan and Mcdonagh and he is good friends with Jake Gardiner, so that only makes it harder. But if someone could clear up if there's a max offer, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Old
06-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Are you okay bud? Oduya is there to stay!
'

Bowman is a moron ,, Oduya is pathetic

Contract is horrid

Old
06-02-2012, 12:52 AM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/6/1...on-free-agency

Cap for 2012 offseason temporarily set at 70.3m
no idea what the floor is

Old
06-02-2012, 04:36 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post

Bob Mckenzie says the floor will be just below $54m.

With 15 players under contract,the isles 2012-2013 cap stand as $39m+.

$4m-$4.5m Parenteau
$4m for ufa defenseman
$2.9m Brock Nelson
$1.4m De haan
???? rfa Martin
???? Poulin or Nilson

Snow's considering bringing back Staios.

Botta says Nabokov will be the #1 goalie ,Poulin or Nilson the #2 and DiPietro the #3.
Hopefully Nino is sent to Bridgeport for the yr.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:33 AM
JTforPres2012

Quote:

All this money to spend....Maybe the braintrust will go out and make some moves!?!?!? or just give Staios another 2.5 million dollar cup bonus.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:36 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

Throw 7.5 per to Suter and hope he somhow takes it and if he does not then atleast you tried rite?

we all know this is not going to happen....

Garth said he wants to find a teams 3rd,4th,and 5th dman and see if the can be better in a bigger role and TOI.....IMO hes looking for a Partner for Striet....

The D will look like

Striet-UFA
AMAC-Hammer
Donovan-Staois

Closed Thread