HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Quebec

Old
04-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman10 View Post
Honestly Atlantic Canada has been producing as many or more high end prospects than Quebec in recent years. Crosby, Sheppard (bust but high pick), Cormier, Gormley, Phillips, Allen, and Couturier, were some of the top Q prospects in their draft years and now Mackinnon, Deschenes and Noel, are all top tier prospects coming up.
The rise of Atlantic Canada can be directly attributed to the growth of the QMJHL out east.

04-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
The rise of Atlantic Canada can be directly attributed to the growth of the QMJHL out east.
Agreed, however it is strange how Quebec has seemed to have regressed while Atlantic Canada has thrived in the exact same league most top Quebec prospects play in.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman10 View Post
Agreed, however it is strange how Quebec has seemed to have regressed while Atlantic Canada has thrived in the exact same league most top Quebec prospects play in.
I've been trying off and on to find tangible reasons/a decent angle to pursue on the regression of Quebec over the past few years. It is a pretty nebulous trend for sure.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Et le But

Regarding the boom in Atlantic talent not spilling over to Quebec, I think it's clear Hockey Quebec is the number one problem.

Another issue is the failure to integrate immigrant populations into hockey, the way they do in Ontario and Western Canada. It's not like other sports aren't popular out west too, but only in Quebec are ethnic communities completely neglected by recruits. There seems to be a culture in Quebec that if your family is immigrants, you should be playing soccer or basketball instead. Obviously cost is an issue, but the same can be said of Ontario where there has been increasing success in helping the children of immigrants get into hockey.

There's some factors that can't be reversed, like Quebec's aging population. But a good place to start is to reform Hockey Quebec, the number one reason that hockey is on the decline in the place that gave birth to the sport.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:49 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
I honestly think that it is not that the talent has grown, but the region is being scouted more now that the Q has 1/3 of its league in the maritimes.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:00 AM
proam16

Quebec is a province of whiners. I know - I have lived here all my life. Thye are either too poor or too far to make a real commitment to hockey. They want it all - but they want it handed to them. I am talking about the parents. The kids are great.
They (parents) are still talking about the re-introduction of "lates" into the system. For those that do not know what a "late" is - it is kids born between October 1 and December 31 of the year. On the local hockey discussions site - this thread about "lates" is 24 pages long this year. Every year since they have removed the "lates" and gone with the calender year it is the same.

On the positive side Hockey Quebec is considering bring in PeeWee and bantam AAA. This is where you hear the whiners about - it will be to far to travel and it will be too expensive...

proam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:15 AM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Wouldn't global warming affect every province the same? I mean we don't exactly have a huge variance in winter duration from Alberta over to Quebec, yet all the provinces aside from Quebec seem to be doing just fine... has global warming hit Quebec even harder? Doubt it. For a province that likes spending a lot of tax payers money on cultural events, they could stand to spend a little more on the biggest Canadian cultural sport - hockey. Just a thought.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:26 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

myself I know a lot of kids here in the maritimes play other sports like soccor and baseball but they play hockey in the winter time and it is no problem for us to now be getting an incline in hockey talent now...before the maritimes never had something for the kids to look up to such as the QMJHL to make it somewhere, there was a big AHL community back in the day in all of Maritimes but at that time it is where most players went to die with their careers so was not much in the way of saying wow I say Sidney Crosby or anything like that...now the QMJHL is younger players with their whole future ahead of them, kids see the excitment and stuff, plus summer camps and hockey schools are soooo much better in the maritimes now with the JS Giguere goaltending school which works one on one with kids now all through the year and summer...plus a number of other hockey schools in smaller towns by Joey McDonald and etc etc........in Quebec i find there is not the advertisment for the sport except for Montreal Canadiens games...but Quebec is a big province, I find MOST places in quebec do a horrible job advertising QMJHL games to the public and having kids get excited for hockey, I think this is a big reason too that kids want to play soccor and basketball...but the game too is getting so expensive for a lot of players now...I know here in Nova Scotia it cost like 6 or 8 thousand for kids to play midget for the year, plus their gear and stuff....you know that is a lot of money for an average family to dish out, but Quebec when i go up now I never hear of the schools anymore like Brodeurs goaltending school, or other hockey schools that I always use to hear of, maybe they still have them, if they do they are not advertised like they use to be.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTinglebone View Post
I honestly think that it is not that the talent has grown, but the region is being scouted more now that the Q has 1/3 of its league in the maritimes.
I think it's that whole nature vs. nuture debate. I mean, prior to the Maritime expansion, players could end up in the QMJHL or the OHL, but both leagues kept more to themselves first and foremost.

The Maritime expansion led to better coaching, a clearer path to success for young players and more attention to the region.

Old
04-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin is my hero View Post
Wouldn't global warming affect every province the same? I mean we don't exactly have a huge variance in winter duration from Alberta over to Quebec, yet all the provinces aside from Quebec seem to be doing just fine... has global warming hit Quebec even harder? Doubt it.
I don't know about the other provinces and what global warming has done to them, but I compare the situation here to what it was 15-20 years ago and it's far different. For god sakes, in mid-March this year we were getting 20 celsius type weather. I remember it raining on Christmas. You just didn't see this before.

Keep in mind that I am talking about the Montreal area here, which is where I live. We are more ''south'' than the Prairies, as an example.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin is my hero View Post
Wouldn't global warming affect every province the same? I mean we don't exactly have a huge variance in winter duration from Alberta over to Quebec, yet all the provinces aside from Quebec seem to be doing just fine... has global warming hit Quebec even harder? Doubt it. For a province that likes spending a lot of tax payers money on cultural events, they could stand to spend a little more on the biggest Canadian cultural sport - hockey. Just a thought.
Can't speak for Quebec but here in the Maritimes, backyard rinks and frozen ponds are becoming increasingly rare.

Old
04-03-2012, 09:50 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

There's the fact Europe is producing more and more talented players, Sweden, Finland, Slovak rep etc....

Europe goalies are now very good, taking place to Quebec goalies.

Qc forwards are still not big enough to take their share of jobs available etc...

QcBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

When it comes to goalies, I think a bit of it is just simple access to coaching.

Back when there was the height of the Quebec league goaltender in the mid-90s, the idea of dedicated goalie coaching was mainly unique to Quebec with the Allaire style of butterfly netminding.

Since then, the position has simply exploded. I think every NHL team has a dedicated goalie coach and the same goes right down the line with most major junior franchises have them as well. Young players have access to dedicated goalie camps and the position is a lot more technically oriented then it was 20 years ago.

So the advantage of the Quebec goaltender, who played a perfect butterfly style by the time he was 20 because of coaching that goalies from other regions didn't have access to, simply isn't there anymore.

Plus, there was a period of time where almost every goalie in the league played the butterfly and so skaters adapted. By necessity, the goaltenders needed to adapt as well. As such, the pure butterfly isn't used as much today, with most of the top goalies playing a hybrid style. So again, that advantage of the Quebec goaltenders is diminished.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:21 AM
BLBarmada

Atom AA needs to be brought back, too many double letter kids are playing Atom A, their need to atleast be a Bantam AAA.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:59 AM
proam16

The rumour is for Bantam AAA in 2013-2014.

proam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:02 AM
habitue*

Lots of good valid factors had been presented in the posts above mine.

The birth rate in Quebec has been very low for a good while. Less boys = less potential hockey players.

The economics have not been great too. Hockey is an expensive sport if you are part, or could be part of the elite.

Lots of monoparental families = less time to drive kids all over the place in the arenas and also less income.

The best Quebec athletes are doing other sports like acrobatic skiing, moguls, skiing, speedskating, diving, and team sports like football and soccer.

+ OF COURSE = the bad hockey development system.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote