HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2012-2013 Season FINALLY for the Oilers???

Old
04-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

vCash: 500
2012-2013 Season FINALLY for the Oilers???

After all these high draft picks from Edmonton the past while, shouldn't they be good yet??? If they are cellar dwellars ONCE AGAIN in 2012/2013, what going to happen? They will have another high draft pick and most likely choose Murray(because they DO NOT need anymore forwards), but whats it going to take for them to actually be good. I mean teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc were horrible a few years back, and then they had a few years of high picks and then turned into Stanley Cup Champs. I think this upcoming season for them will be a huge season. What prospects will they draft? what prospects do they have in Oklahoma to actually get them out of the lottery every single year?... Fire Renney? Fire Tambellini??.. I don't know, I know they are still so young, but teams only have a certain amount of time in order to afford players under the salary cap once these young guns sign their next contracts.

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:44 AM
Carlzner

Nope.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Sweech
Kane & The Dane

vCash: 5239
Let's hope so.

So we can move all the Oilers talk off the prospects board.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:54 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
I think it depends on how the summer goes. They've still got some roster building to do, but a healthy year from that top 3, Dubnyk plays more like he did tonight, and if Petry and Smid play as well as Oil fans say they do they should at least be in the hunt for an 8th seed and out of lottery range, but they need contributions from the rest of the team.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:55 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

They should of developed defencemen and goalie first because they take longer to develop.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:57 AM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

They need a few defenseman first. And maybe a goalie.

CBJWennberg41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:05 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

agreed, they need a goalie big time. Dubnyk wont be the long term answer there. Just seems like something is missing big time. They have those young exciting forwards, but thats all. Nugent needs to bulk up a bit, and Hall's gotta learn to play a bit more carefully so he doesnt have to retire at 23 due to injuries haha.

Old
04-02-2012, 02:31 AM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

No until the Oilers give reason to think otherwise. Back-to-back-to-back lottery finishes.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:42 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
Time is what they need. Their core is super young right now, in 2-3 years they will be among the best in the league.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:46 AM
Ice Whole

A lot of things will have to go right for us to be in the playoffs next year. We have to stay healthy, especially Hall. We need Hemsky to bounce back and Paajarvi to put this season behind him. The most important thing is we need to improve our D and need consistent goaltending from Dubnyk. IF we end up with Murray and sign Justin Schultz, our D becomes a whole lot better. Hopefully we hire a new GM and new coach after this season.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:09 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

They need atleast 2 good defensemen either by draft or as prospects, and that will take a few more years

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:15 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

They will finish last again next year because of injuries to RNH, Eberle, and Hall

They will finish 3rd in 2013-2014 a great improvement "lead" by Mackinnon, drafting Ekblad with Reinhart and Ho-Sang going 1st and 2nd

They will improve to 5th worst in 2014-2015 and win the lottery, drafting phenom Connor McDavid

80s Dynasty.

Eberle
Hall
RNH
Mackinnon
Ekblad
McDavid

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:03 AM
Smallz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
They will finish last again next year because of injuries to RNH, Eberle, and Hall

They will finish 3rd in 2013-2014 a great improvement "lead" by Mackinnon, drafting Ekblad with Reinhart and Ho-Sang going 1st and 2nd

They will improve to 5th worst in 2014-2015 and win the lottery, drafting phenom Connor McDavid

80s Dynasty.

Eberle
Hall
RNH
Mackinnon
Ekblad
McDavid
Only to be split up in 2-3 seasons when each one of them asks for $5+ million per season

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:04 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
They need atleast 2 good defensemen either by draft or as prospects, and that will take a few more years
Jeff Shaultz and Ryan Murray and voila they are there next season then!

Tyrolean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:04 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
Only to be split up in 2-3 seasons when each one of them asks for $5+ million per season
A tight bond will be formed from consecutive cup wins

Last edited by crazy Kassian: 04-02-2012 at 05:14 AM.
crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:08 AM
Bryanbryoil

I expect them to be anywhere between 22nd and 15th in the league next year if they stay healthy and make a few tweaks with the current lineup.

04-02-2012, 06:03 AM
Lux Aurumque*

If Dubnyk is still the starter next year, the Oilers are going for another lottery pick.

Why they continue to run that garbage goalie is one of the great mysteries of the NHL.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

couldnt have said it better myself

Old
04-02-2012, 07:00 AM
CatOTails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
If Dubnyk is still the starter next year, the Oilers are going for another lottery pick.

Why they continue to run that garbage goalie is one of the great mysteries of the NHL.
Dubnyk is a good backup goalie right now and can't see him becoming legitimate starter next year. They also have Khabby signed for one more year but he also is nothing more than a decent backup. But that's not the only problem Oilers will be dealing this offseason. They need at least 2 good defensemen and a scoring depth. If Oilers end up picking 2nd overall they'll get Grigorenko and that will somehow fix their offense, but then again all their 1st/2nd line forwards are injury prone and if RNH/Hall/Hemsky gets injured all their system will go down (what we saw this season).
If they end up with 3rd overall pick i see them drafting Murray who will likely to become a future franchise defenseman and in a couple of seasons he might end up as Karlsson.
Basically it doesn't matter who they pick - they'll finish somewhere between 17-30.

CatOTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post

I wouldn't say he's garbage. He's just relatively young by goalies standards and battles consistency. As for why the Oilers run to him? Well...who's the better option?

2011-12
Dubnyk: 19-18-2, 0.913 and 2.71
Khabibulin: 12-20-7, 0.910 and 2.65

2010-11
Dubnyk: 12-13-8, 0.916 and 2.71
Khabibulin: 10-32-4, 0.890, 3.40

Since Christmas Khabibulin is 1-12-4 while Dubnyk is 16-10-2.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Starscream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
After all these high draft picks from Edmonton the past while, shouldn't they be good yet??? If they are cellar dwellars ONCE AGAIN in 2012/2013, what going to happen? They will have another high draft pick and most likely choose Murray(because they DO NOT need anymore forwards), but whats it going to take for them to actually be good. I mean teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc were horrible a few years back, and then they had a few years of high picks and then turned into Stanley Cup Champs. I think this upcoming season for them will be a huge season. What prospects will they draft? what prospects do they have in Oklahoma to actually get them out of the lottery every single year?... Fire Renney? Fire Tambellini??.. I don't know, I know they are still so young, but teams only have a certain amount of time in order to afford players under the salary cap once these young guns sign their next contracts.
I expect another Lottory pick or close to it again next year. Unless Dubnyk turns into top goalie overnight and all there young guns take huge steps.

Just look at the Pens
2003 1st overall - MAF
2004 2nd overall - Malkin
2005 1st overall - Crosby
and where did they finish the next season 2nd last

So even with Hall, RNH and the 1st round pick this draft I wouldn't expect a playoff team next year unless there is some big changes to other areas of the team during the offseason.

Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I expect another Lottory pick or close to it again next year. Unless Dubnyk turns into top goalie overnight and all there young guns take huge steps.

Just look at the Pens
2003 1st overall - MAF
2004 2nd overall - Malkin
2005 1st overall - Crosby
and where did they finish the next season 2nd last

So even with Hall, RNH and the 1st round pick this draft I wouldn't expect a playoff team next year unless there is some big changes to other areas of the team during the offseason.
I'm sure they'll become more well rounded and produce better against tougher competition but in terms of just numbers, I don't know how much Hall and Eberle have left to grow. Eberle is already a 35 goal/80 point player and after his hat trick in mid November, Hall produced at a 45 goal/80 point pace. Is it fair to expect anymore heading into next season?

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:08 AM
B Boarding

I think Oilers should trade this years pick for a top pairing defenseman around 30 years old, if possible. Then they should probably try to trade Eberle for a goalie or top goalie prospect. And then I would give up next years first round draft pick to get Rundblad.

With those adjustments, I think Oilers would be a contender in 2-3 years. By then, the young forward stars would have a couple of seasons under their belt and entering their prime. The defensemen would also be ready in about 2-3 years when Rundblad is more well rounded and Klefbom has arrived.

Thing is, starting to draft defensemen now is a bit late. They would need up to 5 years of development to have the impact needed to make the Oilers contenders. And by then, the forwards would be too expensive. Things need to happen sooner.

The core after the adjustments would look something like this:

RNH
Hall
Eberle
Pääjärvi
Gagner
Lander

1st pairing defenseman
Rundblad
Whitney
Smid
Klefbom

Starting goalie/top goalie prospect
Dubnyk

I'd say that is pretty damn good.

B Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

hmmmm i don't think they will go far with Dubnyk as a starting goalie. I really think also that they don't draft well after the obvious high first round choice. I was looking at all their draft picks of the past 10 years or so, and besides RNH,Eberle,Hall, Hemsky(Soooooo ridiculously overrated) Gagner???(not too impressive yet) and Paajarvvi(possible bust)(all the high 1st round obvious choices), there isn't really anybody that has cracked the lineup. The Oilers keep getting all this praise for having these good young players, but the only picks that have done well so far have been the obvious choice for them. Since the 2000 NHL draft, the Oilers have drafted 109 players, 20 of those 109 picks have played over 100 NHL games only. And only 8 of those 20 players are with the Oiler organization still. I think the horrible choices after the obvious high first round picks is a reason why they have been so bad too

Old
04-02-2012, 03:52 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Edmonton will be top 10 worst next year too.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote