HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2012-2013 Season FINALLY for the Oilers???

Old
04-02-2012, 02:53 PM
judge301

vCash: 500
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
If Dubnyk is still the starter next year, the Oilers are going for another lottery pick.

Why they continue to run that garbage goalie is one of the great mysteries of the NHL.
Do you have any idea what you're talking about?? I'm assuming you're a Jets fan by your avatar? I think most Jets fans think Pavelec has been your best player this year?

Pavelec - 28-28-8 2.88 GAA and .907 Save %
Dubnyk - 20-18-2 2.67 GAA and .914 save %

Now, Do you want to trade defenses??? Dubs will be just fine. I'm getting so tired of reading posts by un-informed people hating on Dubnyk. Yeah he's let in a few stinkers. Most young goalies do. Hell, most veterans do so as well. I could really go on a rant here about threads such as "Is DD The Worst Goalie In The League" but I won't. Some comments/threads just aren't even worth the time it takes to reply. Opinions are just that but shouldn't an opinion be based on something other than simply not liking the guy? To make a comment like "garbage goalie" is simply immature.

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:05 PM
5 14 6 1
We are the 11.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
hmmmm i don't think they will go far with Dubnyk as a starting goalie. I really think also that they don't draft well after the obvious high first round choice. I was looking at all their draft picks of the past 10 years or so, and besides RNH,Eberle,Hall, Hemsky(Soooooo ridiculously overrated) Gagner???(not too impressive yet) and Paajarvvi(possible bust)(all the high 1st round obvious choices), there isn't really anybody that has cracked the lineup. The Oilers keep getting all this praise for having these good young players, but the only picks that have done well so far have been the obvious choice for them. Since the 2000 NHL draft, the Oilers have drafted 109 players, 20 of those 109 picks have played over 100 NHL games only. And only 8 of those 20 players are with the Oiler organization still. I think the horrible choices after the obvious high first round picks is a reason why they have been so bad too
Edmonton's scouting department has completely changed. In 2008 we completely overhauled the scouting department. The picks look pretty good since then don't they?

5 14 6 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
jmoss45

More backing to dispel the Dubnyk sucks rumours, taken from twitter:

#Oilers post-Xmas goalie stats.
Starts: Dubnyk 26,Khabibulin 18;
GAA: DD 2.45,NK 3.51
Sv%: DD .921,NK .881
Record: DD 16-9-2,NK 1-12-4

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

picks have gotten better since 2008????? not a chance. Eberle, Hall, Nugent are the only ones.... and again, those were the obvious 1st round choices. Look at hockeydb at Oilers drafts.... its actually quite ammusing how many players they've drafted that havent played 1 NHL game yet. If anything their later round picks have been worse.

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:16 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

If Edmonton wants to become a contender, then they would be wise to do everything in their power to get Ryan Suter to go there. Doing so will immediately turn Edmonton into a solid playoff contender, assuming their young guys improve. Drafting a D-man, even waiting for others to develop, is going to take too long, and at some point it would be counter-productive to have the kids in a continual losing environment. Whether they go after Suter or try to make a trade elsewhere, the Oilers need to add proven parts to their D within the next year.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:20 PM
5 14 6 1
We are the 11.5%

Quote:
picks have gotten better since 2008????? not a chance. Eberle, Hall, Nugent are the only ones.... and again, those were the obvious 1st round choices. Look at hockeydb at Oilers drafts.... its actually quite ammusing how many players they've drafted that havent played 1 NHL game yet. If anything their later round picks have been worse.
Eberle was selected in the last 10 selections of the first round, not sure how that is the obvious pick and if that was the case why wasn't he selected sooner?

2008 - Eberle, Hartikainen, Cornet with no 2nd or 3rd round selections isn't all that bad. That's a pretty good draft when two of the players look to be heavy impact players. Cornet is OKC's leading goal scorer.

2009 - Paajarvi, and Lander will both be NHL players Paajarvi is putting up PPG in the AHL and is going through a sophomore slump, will be a very nice LW in the future. Anton Lander is a natural born leader and will be an anchor in our bottom 6 in the future. Keep in mind this draft was 3 years ago and these guys are already making an impact.

2010 - Hall, Pitlick, Hamilton, Marincin, Bunz, Davidson.

Hall is obvious. Pitlick and Hamilton have already made the jump to the AHL with a few struggles but both show promise in limited ice time. Marincin is putting up excellent numbers in the WHL, Tyler Bunz is a 1st team all star in the WHL, Davidson is a 2nd team all star in the WHL. This draft was 2 years ago and we have a lot of promise in it.

2011 - RNH, Klefbom, Musil, Gernat, Rieder.

RNH once again is obvious. Klefbom was a WJC all star (Go ahead and look at the past WJC allstar defensman) Musil is coming a long nicely, Gernat is putting up excellent numbers for the Oil Kings and Tobias Rieder is one hell of a goal scorer.

Go ahead and compare that to the Oilers past drafts if you wish, but how else would Edmonton have a top 5-10 prospect pool even with the graduation of the elite players in the past few years?

I'm also not to sure who you cheer for but I'd love to see the list of prospects you've had that have played in the NHL since 08.

5 14 6 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Kyungnam

Quote:

Kyungnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Rhaego

How would we know now? Wait for free agency or the draft at least...

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Boarding View Post
I think Oilers should trade this years pick for a top pairing defenseman around 30 years old, if possible. Then they should probably try to trade Eberle for a goalie or top goalie prospect. And then I would give up next years first round draft pick to get Rundblad.

With those adjustments, I think Oilers would be a contender in 2-3 years. By then, the young forward stars would have a couple of seasons under their belt and entering their prime. The defensemen would also be ready in about 2-3 years when Rundblad is more well rounded and Klefbom has arrived.

Thing is, starting to draft defensemen now is a bit late. They would need up to 5 years of development to have the impact needed to make the Oilers contenders. And by then, the forwards would be too expensive. Things need to happen sooner.

The core after the adjustments would look something like this:

RNH
Hall
Eberle
Pääjärvi
Gagner
Lander

1st pairing defenseman
Rundblad
Whitney
Smid
Klefbom

Starting goalie/top goalie prospect
Dubnyk

I'd say that is pretty damn good.
There's no way any team should trade a young 80-point forward for a goaltender, just based on supply and demand alone. Goalies can be had for cheaper than that.

And there is no way that a team that's drafted 1st overall two years running should trade their next year's draft pick for David Rundblad. That is really terrible and I'm suprised nobody else has said anything yet.

Thank you for not being the GM of the Oilers.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:39 PM
judge301

Really???

Quote:
I think Oilers should trade this years pick for a top pairing defenseman around 30 years old, if possible. Then they should probably try to trade Eberle for a goalie or top goalie prospect. And then I would give up next years first round draft pick to get Rundblad.

With those adjustments, I think Oilers would be a contender in 2-3 years. By then, the young forward stars would have a couple of seasons under their belt and entering their prime. The defensemen would also be ready in about 2-3 years when Rundblad is more well rounded and Klefbom has arrived.

Thing is, starting to draft defensemen now is a bit late. They would need up to 5 years of development to have the impact needed to make the Oilers contenders. And by then, the forwards would be too expensive. Things need to happen sooner.

RNH
Hall
Eberle
Pääjärvi
Gagner
Lander

1st pairing defenseman
Rundblad
Whitney
Smid
Klefbom

Dubnyk

You don't get paid for thinking do you? Or you don't know a whole lot about the Oilers other defense prospects? Either way, under no circumstance do you trade Eberle unless someone very special is coming back. He could very well end up being the best of the young guys. A very good argument could be made that the Oil already have a good starting goalie (Roy and Bunz, both of which played for Team Canada or should have) and a solid 1-2-3 type d-men in the system on top of Petry, Smid, and Klefbom. Marincin and Gernat both have played extremely well in the WHL and both boast great size at 6' 4" plus. Admittedly none are sure things but there is no reason to trade a player like Eberle!!! Rundblad is no sure thing either...

Why is the cap a concern? I don't see any major issue with the cap moving forward. The Oilers are very capable of spending to the cap. They will retain all these players for the next 7-9 years barring the unforseable.

Last edited by judge301: 04-02-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: add comment
judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:55 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

They need both offense and defense from their blueline. Their defense can't get it out of the defensive zone, and should they ever find the offensive zone the play dies as soon as it goes back to the point.

And the cap is a concern until we know what the new CBA is actually going to be.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:47 AM
B Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
You don't get paid for thinking do you? Or you don't know a whole lot about the Oilers other defense prospects? Either way, under no circumstance do you trade Eberle unless someone very special is coming back. He could very well end up being the best of the young guys. A very good argument could be made that the Oil already have a good starting goalie (Roy and Bunz, both of which played for Team Canada or should have) and a solid 1-2-3 type d-men in the system on top of Petry, Smid, and Klefbom. Marincin and Gernat both have played extremely well in the WHL and both boast great size at 6' 4" plus. Admittedly none are sure things but there is no reason to trade a player like Eberle!!! Rundblad is no sure thing either...

Why is the cap a concern? I don't see any major issue with the cap moving forward. The Oilers are very capable of spending to the cap. They will retain all these players for the next 7-9 years barring the unforseable.

Sorry, I meant to trade HEMSKY for a goalie or top goalie prospect. Not Eberle. A little typo there...and I would also think trading Eberle would be an overpayment. As you can see I had Eberle listed as one of the future core players.
I am not an expert on Oliers and do not know all of their prospects. But I do know that you cannot only draft your way to the cup. Well, maybe if you get your hands on a generational talent like Crosby. If you should start drafting top d-men now, they wouldn't be ready to contribute to a cup contending team for another 3-5 years. I'm not sure about your current young stars contracts, but my hunch is that they would be too expensive to keep by then. The more you develop, the better you want to get paid. You would also need some veteran presence in the back end and I think a guy like Suter (or someone not even that good but still top-pairing) would be worth a first round pick.
Rundblad was drafted mid-first round and it's quite possible he will turn out being a lot better than a mid-first round pick. Oilers will probably improve next year and draft around, let's say #5-10. Why not getting a defenseman with about the same talent that could probably help you out faster than an 18 year old?

B Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

Hmmm they wont be able to get a top goalie prospect for Hemsky. He has done nothing at all. And especially now that he has an absurd 5 million dollar a year contract for 2 years!... Edmonton will be stuck with this 10 goal a year player!

Old
04-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

Hemsky actually made 4.1 million this year and he ACTUALLY got a raise for the next 2 years???!!!... He must have the same agent as Dipietro hahah... Very smart son of a gun that agent is!

Old
04-03-2012, 07:12 AM
TheSilencer

I think they need a couple of solid defensemen. May be draft one with their pick this year (supposedly this is a defence heavy draft?), and ship off guys like Gagner/Peckham to get another young D.

Also, i'd hope Taylor Hall doesn't keep getting injured. Kid had to go through a lot this year.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:35 PM
countrcultur

Dubnyk has been solid over this stretch where they have finally made him the regular starter, I think if they improve the defense in front of him they will be competitive next year.

Changes needed up front are minor, one power forward preferably a centerman that can play on the second line. Hartakainen should be a constant on the second-third line next year.

They still need a solid top pairing defenseman as well. I think they can afford to move mps and will move Omark. If they're 1-4 overall pick is going to be 2-3 years to develop they should trade that and other assets for a young top pairing defenseman.

countrcultur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Ryno
Suck-inator MIA

Quote:
Hemsky actually made 4.1 million this year and he ACTUALLY got a raise for the next 2 years???!!!... He must have the same agent as Dipietro hahah... Very smart son of a gun that agent is!
Incorrect. Hemsky made $5 million this year. His cap hit was $4.1

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=12

Confucius say: It pays for one to have one's facts correct before one spews from the mouth.

Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:31 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:

RNH
Hall
Eberle
Pääjärvi
Gagner
Lander

1st pairing defenseman
Rundblad
Whitney
Smid
Klefbom

Dubnyk

Holy crap that is a horrible proposal.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:36 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Holy crap that is a horrible proposal.
Not sure exactly what he's proposing - he trades Eberle and then goes ahead and puts him in the lineup. Maybe there are two Eberles.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

Ryno- Either way, even if he makes more than 1 million a year is waaaaaaaay too much for Hemsky

Old
04-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

I'm sorry, but to anyone that actually follows signings and has seen comparables, it's obvious that the Hemsky signing was very team-friendly. He easily could have gotten more money and years in FA. Guys with injury histories like him have already done it many times.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Dampland

As others have said ... they need Defense and a goalie. They should be great in 2014.

If not, then Tambellini needs to be tried for crimes against hockey.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

team friendly? 5 million for a guy that has maxed out at 23 goals in one season???hahah.... ive said it once already, he has a BRILLIANT agent

Old
Cold Dome Beers
yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo

There's no way Klefbom starts on the main roster unless next year's coach doesn't support proper player development (and that's another problem right there).

If i'm running the team, I sign the biggest ass-hole forward I can find that will just make the team annoying to play against, think Tootoo or similar. I think Edmonton would be an attractive place for him to come to - it'd make an easier(and probably more frequent) trip down for his family from Nunavut to see him play.

On the blueline, let's assume that they sign Justin Schultz and draft Murray. Not sure if Murray is ready to play here right away, but with our sorry ass blue line, I'm sure he'll get at least 9 games. There is actually a pretty decent array of depth dmen that we can use - it's probably a better idea to invest in one good one.

I say we give Dubnyk every opportunity to play behind a slightly improved blue line. I'd send Khabi to a team that needs him more and sign a veteran goaltender to back up Duby, but not a guy so old that this would be his last team (aka, zero opportunity to win a cup). A guy like Niittymaki fits the bill.

And then to **** off the northwest, I hand Jarkko Ruutu a generous salary to leave Finland for a year or two and play in Edmonton. So we can end up with a lineup next season of:

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Paajarvi - Gagner - Hemsky
Hartikainen - Horcoff - Jones
Eager - Lander - Tootoo
Extras: Belanger, J.Ruutu

N.Schultz - J.Schultz
Smid - Petry
Whitney - Sutton
Peckham/Fedun/Teubert/Potter (wow - depth!)

Dubnyk
Niittymaki

I think that's a reasonable squad that wouldn't require any major deals. A trade for a top dman would be nice, but I haven't a clue who we would target or what the price would be. A big body on the top-6 would be nice, however.

Last edited by Cold Dome Beers: 04-03-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Cold Dome Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:45 PM
canucksPK

2013-14 I've had pegged as my playoff year for the oilers and im sticking to it.

canucksPK is offline   Reply With Quote