HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaching Thread Episode V: The Rebels Fail Miserably on the Road

Old
01-24-2012, 11:23 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

vCash: 500
Coaching Thread Episode V: The Rebels Fail Miserably on the Road

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1040795

01-24-2012, 12:18 PM
txpd

i have given dale credit on semin several times of recent. compliments of semin generally fall on deaf ears at best, but its been there

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i have given dale credit on semin several times of recent. compliments of semin generally fall on deaf ears at best, but its been there
Ive said this for years but Semin is mostly viewed for what he isnt and not what he is......

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:01 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
Ive said this for years but Semin is mostly viewed for what he isnt and not what he is......
i see semin and i see peter bondra. streaky. the difference was bondra had a sparkling personality and his teammates almost without exception loved him(jagr was jealous and wouldnt pass him the puck, but everyone else loved him).

Old
01-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Foy

Semin is a better PKer than Bondra was. Bondra was better without the puck on offense than Semin. Bondra had fewer health issues, and a better shot. Semin is probably a better passer, but Bondra lead the league in goals twice.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i see semin and i see peter bondra. streaky. the difference was bondra had a sparkling personality and his teammates almost without exception loved him(jagr was jealous and wouldnt pass him the puck, but everyone else loved him).
thats pretty accurate.....Semin is flashier IMO but the streaky part of Bondra seems pretty much forgotten these days.

Semin seems like an odd guy that just does things his own way.....but again, he will always be talked about as the player he could be, not the player he is.

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
thats pretty accurate.....Semin is flashier IMO but the streaky part of Bondra seems pretty much forgotten these days.

Semin seems like an odd guy that just does things his own way.....but again, he will always be talked about as the player he could be, not the player he is.
That's something the media does a lot with Eastern Europeans. Can you name a North American player that is described as "Enigmatic?" All I can think of is Euros, like Semin and Yashin.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:42 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Ducks 8-1-1 in their last 10, 5 wins in a row....

At least something is entertaining....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:43 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
That's something the media does a lot with Eastern Europeans. Can you name a North American player that is described as "Enigmatic?" All I can think of is Euros, like Semin and Yashin.
Nope. I mean how is Kessel described? He's a guy that's streaky, one-dimensional, apparently not exactly "one of the guys" and easy going etc.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:12 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Ducks 8-1-1 in their last 10, 5 wins in a row....

At least something is entertaining....
I didn't know you guys stayed up that late. Probably have to set an alarm to wake you up after the Caps games.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:22 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I didn't know you guys stayed up that late. Probably have to set an alarm to wake you up after the Caps games.
I typically watch all or parts of all the west coast games....most nights.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Nope. I mean how is Kessel described? He's a guy that's streaky, one-dimensional, apparently not exactly "one of the guys" and easy going etc.
In Kessel's case there is a simple explanation, since he is legally retarded and all.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:25 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I typically watch all or parts of all the west coast games....most nights.
In my single days that would work... less likely now even being on west coast!

Old
01-24-2012, 04:39 PM
txpd

i dont think that its accurate to say bondra had a better shot. he had a better one timer. he had the best one timer in the league during his era. semin has a better wrist shot and does thing with it like his shot off the curl and drag that other elite players cant even do.

semin is a better penalty killer, but bondra was a much greater threat to score a shorthanded goal.

the other difference is that bondra was always the caps first shooting option on the power play. semin is almost an afterthought after ovechkin and green.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:22 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Locker always says its most important to win the games at home.

Regardless, the negative thread title is lame.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:22 AM
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Locker always says its most important to win the games at home.

Regardless, the negative thread title is lame.
Surprised he hasnt gotten over it. Think bruce was 7-0 at some point of this year, that worked out well.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:27 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

So people wanted to see dale accomplish something BB hasn't.... Well he won with ovi and nick!

Old
02-02-2012, 01:27 AM
IafrateOvie34

Speaking of DH, I was listening to Coast to Coast AM the other night while burning the midnight oil doing homework. They interviewed the actual people that the movie "Fire in the Sky" portrayed. The one guy said "you know" tons more than DH can ever do. I couldn't help but laugh but I thought the host was going to lose it, lol.

Go Caps!

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:02 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Completely true. THAT is why teams build from the "net on out"...you see when you want your entire team to come together at the same time this is how best to do it. Get your goalie in place, then your D, then your centers and finally your wingers in that order if u want to optomize.

Then all will hit their peak at the same time. It has to do with age, experience, physical maturation and mainly mental development. It's not just any one of those factors.

I didn't think this needed to be explained to anyone.
McPhee didn't get the memo.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:10 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
McPhee didn't get the memo.
It's not that he didn't get the memo, it's that his first wave of young goalies busted hard. Things look a little different if Max O lives up to his potential, just as an example.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:12 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'd rather go D, C, G, W when it comes to age/exp.

I'm more of the detriot philosophy wrt goalies. You take a mid-level goalie and surround them with defense.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:17 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I'd rather go D, C, G, W when it comes to age/exp.

I'm more of the detriot philosophy wrt goalies. You take a mid-level goalie and surround them with defense.
That requires a commitment to finding smart players, and a great deal of consistency to the development of a system throughout the organization.

I'd love to see them go that direction, but I don't know if they could make it work without some serious turnover.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:36 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I agree. It just my overall philosophy and why I thought when we knew what we had in Ovi/Nick/Semin/Green... we shouldn't have continued to "build from within" and bring along Alzner and Carlson as mainstays.

While I would have loved to keep them, those assets in 2007-2010 should have been used to build the team around the young guns. In addition 2-3 UFA's would have needed to be targeted and paid highly (ie like Chara for example).

Old
04-03-2012, 11:37 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
That requires a commitment to finding smart players, and a great deal of consistency to the development of a system throughout the organization.

I'd love to see them go that direction, but I don't know if they could make it work without some serious turnover.
You know..there are alot of you on these boards that have this perception that the Caps have "dumb" players. I have no idea of where that really comes from.

People said guys like Larry Murphy and Gonchar were "dumb" too but they went elsewhere and were key players in very successful cup winning teams.

I guarantee that if a "dumb" player like Semin goes to a team like Detroit he will be a key player in a cup winning team.

Fact is it has nothing to do with the intelligence of individual players but rather the philosophy from the top of the team that translates into just not have the right mix of players.

Look at our D for example. Lots of very good players. In fact if we individually grade them they will all grade out very well or better. However where is the Brooks Orpik or Nick Kronwall of the group? Where is the long awaited replacement for Tinordi? That doesn't mean Green is "dumb". His skills are not maximized b/c he is not complimented properly with the right D partner and hasn't been his entire time here.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Well their "stupidity" I blamed a lot on BB over the years. You just have to wonder though if it's leadership of just dumb luck that we happen to have all of the high-skilled, low IQ players.

As I posted in the other thread, the only thing I like about the DH time is that the players do seem to be responding well, even if they are confused or pissed. They're following Dale off the cliff and that's a good sign for the future.