HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4/2/12 - 7 PM ET - Caps @ Thunder - CreePierre Edition, yeah its on NBCSN.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

vCash: 500
Panthers out jinx the caps playoff avater thread and post playoff video
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ideo-released/

we might be safe now

Ovechkins Wodka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Tippett runs a trap right?

I don't want the trap. No more trap.
I want offense, that's what this lineup is built for.
Yes but it's not the lazy, boring trap of Hunter it's actually somewhat aggressive/explosive. I don't think the trap is the problem so much as poor developmental/communication skills and an inability to coax any sort of puck possession elevation in their game through strong preparation.

Discipline, developmental ability and the ability to communicate would be higher up the list of qualities than sheerly being an up-tempo style of coach. It's a definite preference but more than anything I think they need some level of stability at the coaching position. Stability overall when it comes to organizational identity would need to follow, or precede it, but it makes self-evaluation so much easier. Again, just in a head-to-head I think there's just a little more uncertainty in that regard with a coach like McLellan than Tippett.

Of course, considering past instances of not caring about that level of stability it's probably going to take an organizational housecleaning altogether to finally be able to put that into place. Until then they're likely to continue to be an organization that just clings to star power with little ability to put it all together.

Langway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:42 PM
txpd

mclennan? people are getting excited about hiring the coach of the sharks who are considered the caps of the west? or the caps are the sharks of the east? is this what we want to see perpetuated? lets hire bryan murray back.

its right there to be done. fire mcphee. fire hunter. hire bryan murray as gm who can rehire terry murray as coach. we can keep the throw back uni's as primary as well while we are at it.

dave tippett hasnt shown he can get anywhere in the playoffs yet, but at least he doesnt have a history of fail at the level of the caps, sens and sharks.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:46 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
mclennan? people are getting excited about hiring the coach of the sharks who are considered the caps of the west? or the caps are the sharks of the east? is this what we want to see perpetuated? lets hire bryan murray back.

its right there to be done. fire mcphee. fire hunter. hire bryan murray as gm who can rehire terry murray as coach. we can keep the throw back uni's as primary as well while we are at it.

dave tippett hasnt shown he can get anywhere in the playoffs yet, but at least he doesnt have a history of fail at the level of the caps, sens and sharks.
You do realize that McLellan has gotten to two Conference Finals in three years as head coach, right?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

I mean, McClellan has been to the WCF in two of his three years as coach.

Edit: What NBTW said.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:48 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

McLellan has taken three first place teams to two conference finals.

It's not hard to look this stuff up.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:54 PM
maybam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
The Caps haven't been a terribly hard-working team under Hunter, so I don't know where that's coming from. And if he were so big on accountability, then Wideman, Carlson, and others would have been benched/scratched by now.
I agree. People said that Bruce had his pets, but some of Hunter's decisions make absolutely no sense. For instance the benching of Hamrlik, who was was one of the defenders who translated the best from bruce to DH.

Honestly it seems like a consensus here that Dale is a bad coach, I never saw that with Bruce. I'm just wondering why GMGM would hire someone like this. It makes no sense.

maybam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:57 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Honestly, if GMGM is still around, I can totally see him retaining Hunter in the face of the availability of McClellan or Tippet. ****ing unbelievable and unforgivable, but realistic.
He will because of his ego. On another point, the players should take the off season and work on practicing stuff like shooting, passing, and clearing the puck. The last two years watching them clear the puck is like watching Benny Hill episodes.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:57 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Did you guys even know that Jamie McClennan brought the Sharkz to the WCF 2 out of the last 3 years?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:59 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Did you guys even know that Jamie McClennan brought the Sharkz to the WCF 2 out of the last 3 years?
Todd.

Apparently not everyone knows this very basic data about him.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:02 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Not just the Sharks.... we're talking the JOE THORTON led Sharks!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Langway
Intangibles

SJ's past playoff record really isn't an issue so much as the current product which does not seem to go to the dirty areas enough and displays a pretty mediocre level of team defense. Again, maybe it's personnel/leadership but there are some current developmental parallels that would give me pause.

Terry Murray would be a pretty unsettling option.

Langway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
You do realize that McLellan has gotten to two Conference Finals in three years as head coach, right?
sign me up if we bring him and Jumbo Joe over here.

Ovechkins Wodka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:04 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

My first choice, Guy Carbonneau, is still out there.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:09 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybam View Post
I agree. People said that Bruce had his pets, but some of Hunter's decisions make absolutely no sense. For instance the benching of Hamrlik, who was was one of the defenders who translated the best from bruce to DH.

Honestly it seems like a consensus here that Dale is a bad coach, I never saw that with Bruce. I'm just wondering why GMGM would hire someone like this. It makes no sense.
And that sad part is the amount of street cred and equity Hunter had with just about every single Caps fan. We have given him more than his fair share of the benefit of the doubt. He clearly doesn't coach to the strength of the players he has and plays worse favorites than BB did thats for sure.

A great many of his moves have made no sense like you said.

GMGM is simply looking worse by the day. The guy wants to win clearly and wants to succeed. He just doesn't know how to do it sadly.

The theory is that he brings in inexperienced coaches so he can dump the blame on them if they lose and perhaps pull some strings from a safe distance in terms of play style. Who knows...

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:17 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Todd.

Apparently not everyone knows this very basic data about him.
Is that Jamie's brother?

Old
04-03-2012, 05:20 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

I also have to point out that Todd McClellan puts effort into improving the little parts of the game, including face offs. Laich only won 33% of his last night.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:21 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Is that Jamie's brother?
They have slightly different last names. No relation that I'm aware of but we really should confirm with Joe B.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:30 PM
txpd

Quote:
yes...i do. i absolutely do. the sharks are still considered chokers. i still dont want a coach that is attached to that legacy.

wondering....losing in the conference finals is better than what boudreau did and not good enough for many here to have wanted to keep him in recent years.

bryan murray got the senators to the finals once, right? he's still more choker than anything else.

if you want mclellan fresh of sharks fail, ok. i'd take him over what we have now, but would expect no more than what we've had in recent years.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:35 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
yes...i do. i absolutely do. the sharks are still considered chokers. i still dont want a coach that is attached to that legacy.

wondering....losing in the conference finals is better than what boudreau did and not good enough for many here to have wanted to keep him in recent years.

bryan murray got the senators to the finals once, right? he's still more choker than anything else.

if you want mclellan fresh of sharks fail, ok. i'd take him over what we have now, but would expect no more than what we've had in recent years.
What are you even talking about? The Sharks were considered chokers under Wilson because they lost in the second round 3 years in a row. It had nothing to do with McLellan.

I frankly don't give a **** what 'legacy' the next coach is attached to. I just want a good coach.

Good coaches have failures all the time. It's the nature of the business. Claude Julien was fired in consecutive years before he got the Boston job. Joel Quenneville was let go by Colorado before going to Chicago. Does that mean those guys were bad coaches?

Once again, you attack other people's suggestions, but provide none of your own.

Why don't you put some substance behind your criticisms? Who would you hire as head coach?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:43 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybam View Post

Here I go again but his benching was whacko for the following reasons and these are facts - not my bias.

He was benched after the Carolina game. Hunter accused him of a bad penalty. Fine. In games prior to that Wideman and Ward took even earlier penalties.

Hamr was on ice for only one goal against Carolina and it was the last one scored. You'd have thought he was on ice for all of them. And his teammates were also busy giving up another shortie which was Carolina's third goal.

Hamr's plus / minus is the team's best under Hunter by an exceedingly better margin.

Elsewhere I read that Hamrlik's goal differential (on ice for GA vs. on ice for GF) was
3rd best on the team behind only Semin and Ovechkin. And.........it was pointed out that he has more defensive zone starts and NO POWERPLAY TOI and does get shorthanded time. This is overall and not just under Hunter.

Hamrlik's overall plus / minus currently is fourth best on the team and includes his questionable start whether it was due to injury, a different system or whatever.

With Hamrlik scratched and on a long homestand the Caps go 4 - 3 - 1 with wins over bottom dwellers only.

Green is suspended and Hunter is FORCED to put him back in. The Caps go on a three game winning streak.

Green comes back and Hunter promptly scratches Hamrlik again. The Caps lose two games in a row.

Hunter has a brainstorm that maybe he should keep Hamrlik in the lineup. Since then the Caps have gone 4 - 2 - 2.

So in essence and since Hamrlik's first scratched game the record goes like this........

With Hamrlik: 7 - 2 - 2
Without Hamrlik: 4 - 5 - 1

And if Green had not been suspended and forced Hunter's hand Hamrlik may still be sitting.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:44 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
They have slightly different last names. No relation that I'm aware of but we really should confirm with Joe B.
Yep, thats the joke.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:45 PM
um

Quote:

your worried about legacies? this whole team has bad stereotypes, ovechkins lazy, fat, bad captain, dirty, etc. green cant play defense, semin doesnt care, laich is our true captain and so on. dont worry about what casual fans think this is a team game and you cant fault McLellan for those losses to um... chicago and vancouver

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:48 PM
The Flying Finn

I say we hire Teppo Numminen, he has been studying coaching under Lindy Ruff

The Flying Finn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Langway
Intangibles