HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Florida Panthers Prospect Thread 2013-2014

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 06:07 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
How good is Trocheck, that is what I want to know. For whoever has seen him, is he top six center material, or is he more suited for the 3rd line? Would you rank his potential above Shore's?

Old
03-14-2013, 06:39 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
How good is Trocheck, that is what I want to know. For whoever has seen him, is he top six center material, or is he more suited for the 3rd line? Would you rank his potential above Shore's?
Below Shore's. I'd say his chances of being a top six center are 20/80.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Trocheck could be comparable to Goc, with more offensive upside. He's a solid PKer and is smart in all areas of the ice. I've said it before, but he has a deadly shot (49 goals). He pretty much does it all. Saginaw used him on the point on the PP, he's a PKer and this is the guy you want on the ice late in games taking faceoffs and protecting leads.

Put it into perspective though...have the Panthers ever had a more prolific OHL scoring prospect than him? I would say no, unless I'm missing someone obvious.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here

I love Trocheck's heavy slapshot. Also, it was nice to see him pulling off inside-outside moves around defenders in the WJC. You see stuff like that from a 1st-rounder. Can't wait to see him turn pro soon. He's too good for juniors.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Gudbranson4Prez
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Trocheck could be comparable to Goc, with more offensive upside. He's a solid PKer and is smart in all areas of the ice. I've said it before, but he has a deadly shot (49 goals). He pretty much does it all. Saginaw used him on the point on the PP, he's a PKer and this is the guy you want on the ice late in games taking faceoffs and protecting leads.

Put it into perspective though...have the Panthers ever had a more prolific OHL scoring prospect than him? I would say no, unless I'm missing someone obvious.
The most prolific OHL scorers we've had of recent memory are Shawn Matthias and Garrett Wilson. Not on Trocheck's level though.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here

Quote:

I apologize in advance for bringing up nightmares from the past..

Ivan "the next Pavel Bure" Novoseltsev scored 57 goals (96 pts) in his second year with Sarnia.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:

Unfortunately, yes...yes we have Steve Washburn scored 106 pts in 63 games in his final OHL season. The yr before that he put up 80 pts in the OHL. Maybe not someone obvious but there are some similarities with the 2 players (both centers, both drafted by the Panthers in the 3rd round, very similar careers in the OHL). Washburn also had a successful AHL campaign after turning pro too, more than a PPG player.

Another example of a prolific scorer in the OHL would be Denis Shvidki who put up 106 pts in 61 games his last yr and his previous yr from that put up 94 pts in 61 games.

Hate to burst everyone's bubble with bringing up those names and where their career went after the OHL but scoring in that league isnt going to mean much for his pro career.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:13 AM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Hate to burst everyone's bubble with bringing up those names and where their career went after the OHL but scoring in that league isnt going to mean much for his pro career.
Was just coming here to point this out. Roughly 50% of the 100+ point scorers in the OHL over the last 8-10 years have had an underwhelming or non-existent NHL career.

For every Stamkos, Tavares, and Kane, there is an Evan Brophy, Dylan Hunter, and Justin Donati.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:23 AM
RainingRats

I think everyone's hesitation to hype up Trocheck is reasonable despite his unreal statistical performance. With that said, it seems like everyone on the prospects board is very impressed with him. The big question mark is how his game translates to the next level which is again, a reasonable thing to ask.

I'm still excited about how well he is doing. He's not dominating because he's got excellent speed or is much bigger than his competition. He's scoring a lot because he works really hard and can finish. Those are traits that translate well and are less likely to be characteristics of a player who busts.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:24 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
The most prolific OHL scorers we've had of recent memory are Shawn Matthias and Garrett Wilson. Not on Trocheck's level though.
Stat reading has it's limitations.

Trocheck is a good NHL prospect. If things go well, he can probably slot in as a complimentary offensive Forward at the NHL level. Prolific he won't be.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Matthias was as prolific as Trocheck. In his last year of junior Matthias was considered the best two-way forward in the CHL and also played in the WJC.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:26 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Matthias was as prolific as Trocheck. In his last year of junior Matthias was considered the best two-way forward in the CHL and also played in the WJC.
Matthias's best year was 32 goals and 79 points in 53 games.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Matthias's best year was 32 goals and 79 points.
In only 53 games though. He also got mono shortly after arriving home from the WJC which slowed his pace for a few weeks.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:10 AM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
So, what is Knight's NHL potential? As Tallon moves out some bodies by Apr. 3, I suspect Knight will get a chance to play some pro games. If he is NOT signed by Aug. 15, will he be a UFA?
I think he can become a very good shut down center. Great vision and playmaking ability. Very good in his own end. Also holds UNDs school record for faceoff %. Dave Bolland with less agitator and better playmaking ability.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Acadmus

Got the UVM/BC playoff game on the radio right now. Both Matheson and Brickley were on the ice a moment ago at the same time.

0-0 score. WVMT doesn't have an active "Listen Live" link though

03-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Howboutthempanthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Got the UVM/BC playoff game on the radio right now. Both Matheson and Brickley were on the ice a moment ago at the same time.

0-0 score. WVMT doesn't have an active "Listen Live" link though
Being televised on NBC Sports Network.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Howboutthempanthers

Matheson just scored on a the PP from the point. He can shoot it.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:15 PM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Matheson just ripped a beauty upstairs. I'm seriously wondering why Kulikov can't even hit the net

Old
03-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Being televised on NBC Sports Network.
I'm at work, can't watch...sounds like Matheson's getting pretty beat up tonight, though.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:28 PM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
I'm at work, can't watch...sounds like Matheson's getting pretty beat up tonight, though.
He's smallish hasn't filled into his body yet

Old
03-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Acadmus

UVM scores a shorty with just over 7 to go to make it a 1-goal game. Hard work as usual keeps UVM from embarrassing themselves in the national eye. Hope they equalize it.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:02 PM
JPG

Quote:
Stephen Weiss, Dennis Shvidki, Rob Niedermayer were all pretty good junior players. Also a guy named Huberdeau did a few things there as well.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:48 AM
Gudbranson4Prez
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG View Post
Stephen Weiss, Dennis Shvidki, Rob Niedermayer were all pretty good junior players. Also a guy named Huberdeau did a few things there as well.
Huberdeau wasn't in the OHL.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:53 AM
JPG

Quote:
Huberdeau wasn't in the OHL.
Eh they are all the same to me I know Canadians will consider that blasphemy but...whatever it's juniors.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Holy Jokinen

Kyle Rau with a goal and assist last night, including the game winner in OT.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/pages/...lights?s=95359

Closed Thread