HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Florida Panthers Prospect Thread 2013-2014

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2013, 12:45 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Brickley was actually showing some promise, making big steps ahead in his freshman year. Team USA camp, got a tendon severed by a skate early on (if I recall) and was rehabbing for months. When he returned he simply wasn't the same player.

Can't remember if he's got a year left or is already done. Cats didn't do much to pay attention to last year. The first Coach's Show of the season is on the radio tomorrow morning so I'll know more then.
Fair, the injury certainly didn't help. Despite a few fence sitters, i think it's pretty clear Brickley isn't a serious NHL prospect at this point.

Old
10-05-2013, 01:34 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Delnov leading the Thunderbirds in scoring with 8 points in 5 games (4g + 4a). Also, he's 20th in the scoring race in the WHL. Thunderbirds are 4-2 with 24 goals for and Delnov has 4 of them. Delnov was picked 114th overall inside of the 4th round, so he's probably a longshot.

Hope he keeps up the solid scoring pace.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Fair, the injury certainly didn't help. Despite a few fence sitters, i think it's pretty clear Brickley isn't a serious NHL prospect at this point.
No, it's not "pretty clear". I also love how you just write off the people who actually see him play.

Old
10-06-2013, 05:20 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
No, it's not "pretty clear". I also love how you just write off the people who actually see him play.
Oh here we go. When faced with something that projects poorly, just sit on the fence.

Brickley doesn't do anything well enough to warrant being considered a legitimate NHL prospect at this point. Legitimate, as in, valid or real.
Brickley isn't a particularly significant NCAA player at this point.

Old
10-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Oh here we go. When faced with something that projects poorly, just sit on the fence.

Brickley doesn't do anything well enough to warrant being considered a legitimate NHL prospect at this point. Legitimate, as in, valid or real.
Brickley isn't a particularly significant NCAA player at this point.
Fence sitter? Ok, well word to the wise, don't ever go to Vegas. He isn't a significant NCAA player at this point, but that doesn't mean he's a bust. Once again, he was drafted to be a bottom 6 player.

Old
10-07-2013, 03:47 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Fence sitter? Ok, well word to the wise, don't ever go to Vegas. He isn't a significant NCAA player at this point, but that doesn't mean he's a bust. Once again, he was drafted to be a bottom 6 player.
You mean to employ an equity edge over drunken fools? How wise to avoid.

Majority of bottom six NHL players were relatively productive in minor hockey. Brickley has struggled significant at the NCAA level. It's tough to think how he'll adapt to the AHL, nevermind the NHL level.

He's not a meaningful NHL prospect. We shall see how it unfolds, but when it comes to marginal prospects, you really do enjoy pontificating. Hey, I guess i am one to talk.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Coach's show on right now - interviewer and coach Sneddon both talking about how Brickley stood out in the pair of exhibition games the team played this weekend. Sneddon says he worked his heart out over the summer being fully healthy for once and came back to school in great shape. Let's hope he's reborn.

That said, UVM lost its #3 scorer from last season, Kyle Reynolds, to a cheap knee-on-knee hit during one of the games this weekend and he's out for the season, so the team suffers big again after losing top scorers again and again over the past 3 years to the NHL, transfers to the CHL, and expulsions for academic failures/off ice trouble. The school can't catch a break anymore.

Team still beat Ottawa 7-0 and Acadia 4-1, so maybe there's a chance they'll be good this year. They've struggled with Acadia over the past few years, I think splitting the contests. They'll get a real test this weekend at North Dakota.

Last edited by Acadmus: 10-09-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old
10-10-2013, 02:17 PM
glassbangers
"I home."

vCash: 50
Your 2011 7th round draft pick (184 overall) Iiro Pakarinen has had amazing start in the Finnish Elite League. So far 11gp 6+4=10. He has been playing as a winger, center and as a defenceman. Very physical, natural right winger who has good skating and extremely good shot. 6'1" 194lbs.

Old
10-10-2013, 02:29 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Your 2011 7th round draft pick (184 overall) Iiro Pakarinen has had amazing start in the Finnish Elite League. So far 11gp 6+4=10. He has been playing as a winger, center and as a defenceman. Very physical, natural right winger who has good skating and extremely good shot. 6'1" 194lbs.
Could he be NHL material down the line?

Old
10-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
Could he be NHL material down the line?
Yes, but as a bottom 6 forward. He is ideally suited to be an NHL 4th line winger. He has the skating too to play that banging game. 3rd line if he can really translate that offense to the NHL, which I doubt.

Old
10-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
You mean to employ an equity edge over drunken fools? How wise to avoid.

Majority of bottom six NHL players were relatively productive in minor hockey. Brickley has struggled significant at the NCAA level. It's tough to think how he'll adapt to the AHL, nevermind the NHL level.

He's not a meaningful NHL prospect. We shall see how it unfolds, but when it comes to marginal prospects, you really do enjoy pontificating. Hey, I guess i am one to talk.
Brickley was very productive in the USHL. He's played well internationally. And again, when healthy, Brickley has produced respectably for Vermont.

Let's just wait and see until after this season. Obviously this is a huge year for Brickley. But if Acadmus' post is any indication, it's off to a good start.

Old
10-10-2013, 04:11 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Brickley was very productive in the USHL. He's played well internationally. And again, when healthy, Brickley has produced respectably for Vermont.

Let's just wait and see until after this season. Obviously this is a huge year for Brickley. But if Acadmus' post is any indication, it's off to a good start.
He last played in the USHL in 2009-2010. He's since moved up a level. U-18 international play really isn't very important when discussing 21/22 year old players. That age group has developed in different ways and isn't assessed by what they did then, or what they were projected to be then. They're assessed by what they project as now. He didn't establish himself as a noteable U-20 international player.

He's produced ok numbers at the NCAA level. Players with his type of production aren't likely candidates to be NHL players. Statistics aside, Brickley plays a straight forward game, capable skater, but hasn't shown any apparent skills with the puck that distinguish himself as a serious NHL prospect. He isn't a probable scorer at the professional level and assuming Florida do sign him, will enter a competitive AHL market against better seasoned veterans and more talented younger players. The road is long.

Old
10-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
He last played in the USHL in 2009-2010. He's since moved up a level. U-18 international play really isn't very important when discussing 21/22 year old players. That age group has developed in different ways and isn't assessed by what they did then, or what they were projected to be then. They're assessed by what they project as now. He didn't establish himself as a noteable U-20 international player.

He's produced ok numbers at the NCAA level. Players with his type of production aren't likely candidates to be NHL players. Statistics aside, Brickley plays a straight forward game, capable skater, but hasn't shown any apparent skills with the puck that distinguish himself as a serious NHL prospect. He isn't a probable scorer at the professional level and assuming Florida do sign him, will enter a competitive AHL market against better seasoned veterans and more talented younger players. The road is long.
Of course, now you have excuses. You suggested he wasn't relatively productive in minor hockey. I explained that he was.

Brickley plays a straightforward game, with speed and not overly creative, yes....which is fine. Because that's the type of NHL player he would be if he made it. He's not going to be a creative, dangling puck possession player. He'd be a Steve Ott/Brian Boyle/Jordin Tootoo type player. He doesn't need to be dangling left and right in college.

Brickley won't be competing against the majority of more talented younger players in the AHL. He's not competing against 5'10"-5'11" flashy highly skilled forwards. He'd be working toward one day competing for a job on Florida's 4th line as a banger/pest/fighter. Just like an NHL team wouldn't ever play Brickley in the top 6, you wouldn't regularly play a smaller, soft offensive forward on your 4th line. Brickley isn't competing against those types of forwards. The road will be hard of course, he's far from a top prospect, and like I said this season will tell a lot. But it's not quite The Odyssey that you make it out to be. Brickley's skillset is ideally suited for a 4th line banger role. He does have to produce and stay healthy this season, but it's definitely within the realm of possibility that he does.

Old
10-12-2013, 03:51 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Of course, now you have excuses. You suggested he wasn't relatively productive in minor hockey. I explained that he was.
He hasn't been productive at the NCAA level relative to a serious NHL prospect. He's 21, what he did as a 17/18 yr old at a lower level isn't particularly relevant when we have 3 years of data/viewing at a higher level.

All you're trying to do is find trivial and false paths to build a perception of something else.

Quote:
Brickley plays a straightforward game, with speed and not overly creative, yes....which is fine. Because that's the type of NHL player he would be if he made it. He's not going to be a creative, dangling puck possession player. He'd be a Steve Ott/Brian Boyle/Jordin Tootoo type player. He doesn't need to be dangling left and right in college.
Steve Ott is a very talented player. Much better offensive player at the lower levels than Brickley. Brian Boyle was a much much better offensive player in college than Brickley and also has unique size. Tootoo was a capable offensive player in the minors, skates well and is an absolute pest (Brickley isn't like Tootoo).

Quote:
Brickley won't be competing against the majority of more talented younger players in the AHL. He's not competing against 5'10"-5'11" flashy highly skilled forwards. He'd be working toward one day competing for a job on Florida's 4th line as a banger/pest/fighter. Just like an NHL team wouldn't ever play Brickley in the top 6, you wouldn't regularly play a smaller, soft offensive forward on your 4th line. Brickley isn't competing against those types of forwards. The road will be hard of course, he's far from a top prospect, and like I said this season will tell a lot. But it's not quite The Odyssey that you make it out to be. Brickley's skillset is ideally suited for a 4th line banger role. He does have to produce and stay healthy this season, but it's definitely within the realm of possibility that he does.
It will be interesting to see if Brickley is good enough to actually play solid minutes at the AHL level.

Old
10-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
He hasn't been productive at the NCAA level relative to a serious NHL prospect. He's 21, what he did as a 17/18 yr old at a lower level isn't particularly relevant when we have 3 years of data/viewing at a higher level.

All you're trying to do is find trivial and false paths to build a perception of something else.
Ugh, YOU were the one who brought up minor hockey. All I did was refute your claim.

Quote:
Steve Ott is a very talented player. Much better offensive player at the lower levels than Brickley. Brian Boyle was a much much better offensive player in college than Brickley and also has unique size. Tootoo was a capable offensive player in the minors, skates well and is an absolute pest (Brickley isn't like Tootoo).
I don't see how Ott's production at lower levels is much better. Relatively the same offensive production in their draft years. Brickley then went to college, he didn't stay in junior like Ott, and Brickley then struggled with injuries. But wait, I thought what they did at 17-18 didn't matter....Brickley hasn't played in the AHL, yet anyways, so we can't compare Ott's AHL stats.

Boyle was a much better college player, I give you that. But in the NHL, he's now a 4th liner/healthy scratch, and the type of player I was comparing Brickley to as to whom he might be like in the NHL. Tootoo was not a particularly impressive offensive player in junior, AHL, or now the NHL. I don't know what you're talking about. Brickley skates just as well as Tootoo if not better, and is a pest like Tootoo. If you're suggesting Brickley isn't a pest, then I don't think you know much about Brickley. He hits anything that moves. He's a lot like Tootoo actually, except not as good a fighter(right now at least).

Old
10-12-2013, 12:16 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Season opener for UND last night was a 5-3 win and Grimaldi was a big factor. He had a 4 pt night including a highlight reel goal and a few apples. Fantastic start to the season for him.

Highlights in the link below:

http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect...05&SPSID=58684

Kyle Rau continues his strong collegiate campaign with a goal and 2 assists in the Gophers' home opening 6-0 win last night.

BC lost to Michigan 3-1, but McCoshen scored his 1st collegiate goal. Also, notable that Michael Downing had his 1st collegiate point (assist) in the same game for Michigan.

Last edited by AaronEkbald: 10-12-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old
10-12-2013, 01:45 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Ugh, YOU were the one who brought up minor hockey. All I did was refute your claim.
I've repeatedly said Brickley has struggled to produce at the college level. Which you can't refute. So instead we are lead down this path whereby discussing USHL and U-18 stats from 2009/10 is apparently relevant to now.

Quote:
I don't see how Ott's production at lower levels is much better. Relatively the same offensive production in their draft years. Brickley then went to college, he didn't stay in junior like Ott, and Brickley then struggled with injuries. But wait, I thought what they did at 17-18 didn't matter....Brickley hasn't played in the AHL, yet anyways, so we can't compare Ott's AHL stats.
It's almost pathetic. I didn't bring up Ott, Boyle or Tootoo. You did.

What a player did at 17/18 is less important than what they have done at 20/21/now. Especially when that level at 17 is lower than the level he has played at the following 3 years (with limited results).

Hakan Andersson noted in an interview that he pays less and less attention to TV-Pucken less year, because the difference between 16 yr old and 18 yr olds is tremendous. The same can be applied here when projecting. NHL teams draft at 18, but by the time a player has reached 21/22, his 18 yr old stats, subjective play and projections then aren't really relevant. We've had 3 years of play since, whereby Brickley hasn't really developed. Play spin doctor all you want, whilst i play Officer pessimist.

Quote:
Boyle was a much better college player, I give you that. But in the NHL, he's now a 4th liner/healthy scratch, and the type of player I was comparing Brickley to as to whom he might be like in the NHL. Tootoo was not a particularly impressive offensive player in junior, AHL, or now the NHL. I don't know what you're talking about. Brickley skates just as well as Tootoo if not better, and is a pest like Tootoo. If you're suggesting Brickley isn't a pest, then I don't think you know much about Brickley. He hits anything that moves. He's a lot like Tootoo actually, except not as good a fighter(right now at least).
Boyle is a significantly more talented offensive player. He's capable of playing the game at a better level. He also has unique size. Boyle and Brickley aren't remotely comparable.

Tootoo fits the fold of a pest much more, but i digress. I'm sure you have many of this off the whole, bizarre player comparisons.

Old
10-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
I've repeatedly said Brickley has struggled to produce at the college level. Which you can't refute. So instead we are lead down this path whereby discussing USHL and U-18 stats from 2009/10 is apparently relevant to now.
Um again, you brought it up.

Quote:
It's almost pathetic. I didn't bring up Ott, Boyle or Tootoo. You did.

What a player did at 17/18 is less important than what they have done at 20/21/now. Especially when that level at 17 is lower than the level he has played at the following 3 years (with limited results).

Hakan Andersson noted in an interview that he pays less and less attention to TV-Pucken less year, because the difference between 16 yr old and 18 yr olds is tremendous. The same can be applied here when projecting. NHL teams draft at 18, but by the time a player has reached 21/22, his 18 yr old stats, subjective play and projections then aren't really relevant. We've had 3 years of play since, whereby Brickley hasn't really developed. Play spin doctor all you want, whilst i play Officer pessimist.

Boyle is a significantly more talented offensive player. He's capable of playing the game at a better level. He also has unique size. Boyle and Brickley aren't remotely comparable.

Tootoo fits the fold of a pest much more, but i digress. I'm sure you have many of this off the whole, bizarre player comparisons.
I only brought these players up because you said Brickley would be competing against softer, more offense oriented forwards for organizational approval in the AHL, which he won't. These are the players Brickley might play like in the NHL, should he make it. You take everything 100% literally, which I can't help. Sorry if I'm not going to spend half an hour trying to visualize the NHL player Brickley most closely resembles. Close enough. He's a very physical, big, strong skating pest with a modicum of skill. He resembles all three of those players in some way, even if he doesn't embody each one perfectly.

Old
10-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Brittain got a 25 save shutout last night in the Pioneers' 1-0 win over Merrimack. Cowley was on the bench.

Old
10-12-2013, 02:48 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Um again, you brought it up.
Urgh, again, i haven't discussed him outside of his NCAA seasons.

You know when people say, "Wouldn't you like to meet a talking dog (or animal)" and the conversation is then determined by what you would do .... well, i envisage this conversation as the type of experience i would have if met a talking dog. I wouldn't want to meet a talking dog.

Old
10-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Brittain recorded another shutout last night against Merrimack, this time with 28 saves.

Old
10-13-2013, 10:56 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tibbles View Post
Season opener for UND last night was a 5-3 win and Grimaldi was a big factor. He had a 4 pt night including a highlight reel goal and a few apples. Fantastic start to the season for him.

Highlights in the link below:

http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect...05&SPSID=58684

Kyle Rau continues his strong collegiate campaign with a goal and 2 assists in the Gophers' home opening 6-0 win last night.

BC lost to Michigan 3-1, but McCoshen scored his 1st collegiate goal. Also, notable that Michael Downing had his 1st collegiate point (assist) in the same game for Michigan.
Man, Grimaldi sure is fun to watch. He might not have the same success of a MSL in Tampa, but the kid is going to be a major sparkplug for us. Im hoping this kid can come in here and be a 20-25 goal scorer for us eventually, and given his skill set, work ethic, and speed, that kind of output isnt out of the question. I predict he is going to our most popular player since #10 wore a Panthers jersey.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:15 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Man, Grimaldi sure is fun to watch. He might not have the same success of a MSL in Tampa, but the kid is going to be a major sparkplug for us. Im hoping this kid can come in here and be a 20-25 goal scorer for us eventually, and given his skill set, work ethic, and speed, that kind of output isnt out of the question. I predict he is going to our most popular player since #10 wore a Panthers jersey.
I'm very excited about Grimaldi. We know little guys can play in this league, but it's just about whether or not injuries will be a factor in his development. So far, he had one knee injury / surgery that kept him out a whole year. What gives us hope is the way he recovered from the injury and didn't miss a beat in his development. We have Barkov and Huberdeau who are just great at creating something out of nothing. Grimaldi is another one of those types of guys, imo. I'm trying not to sound like a homer, but the kid is just electrifying whenever he touches the puck. Can't wait until he turns pro and hopefully will be good enough to make the Panthers out of camp next year.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Huberdeau-Barkov-Grimaldi would be such a fun line to watch..

Old
10-18-2013, 09:20 PM
BostonCollegeFan

Matheson and McCoshen both scored a goal tonight in a 9-2 win against Wisconsin. Matheson was +7 on the night, McCoshen was +6

Closed Thread