HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Florida Panthers Prospect Thread 2013-2014

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2014, 12:41 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnforceTheLaus View Post
Yeah he is turning out pretty well. Will be interesting to see him transition to the pro level in SA.
There was an article out there not to long ago about him using Positive Psychology to turn his game around pretty cool

Old
01-14-2014, 01:01 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
He's only a bust if you are expecting a top 6 point producer. If you lower your expectations to a 3rd/4th line energy guy that can kill penalties and forecheck with speed, he's still a very useful player.
+1.

It was a longshot for him to be a top 6 player.

Here's to hoping he improves his offensive game.

Old
01-14-2014, 01:16 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
He's only a bust if you are expecting a top 6 point producer. If you lower your expectations to a 3rd/4th line energy guy that can kill penalties and forecheck with speed, he's still a very useful player.
I am expecting a top 6 point producer for sure. He was a lower first rounder. I don't see any reason why we should expect anything less. But, that definitely changed when I saw him turn pro. His production in San Antonio is abysmal and even worse in his stint in the NHL. He's got NHL caliber speed. That's the only neat part about his game. His hands, shot, intelligence are all average to below average.

Old
01-14-2014, 01:30 PM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tibbles View Post
I am expecting a top 6 point producer for sure. He was a lower first rounder. I don't see any reason why we should expect anything less. But, that definitely changed when I saw him turn pro. His production in San Antonio is abysmal and even worse in his stint in the NHL. He's got NHL caliber speed. That's the only neat part about his game. His hands, shot, intelligence are all average to below average.
Then I guess he's a bust and should be jettisoned at the first opportunity.

Old
01-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Connor Brickley being interviewed on this weeks "UVM Coach's Show" on WVMT. Little insight here, first of all he's a Bruins fan But also he was asked what have the Panthers asked him to work on over the years, and it's clear they've been grooming him as a 4th line grinder all along. He says they've talked with him and with his coach and they wanted him to simplify his game and work on getting the puck in deep and being physical. So if anyone's really wondering about his offensive output, it hasn't really been his role and isn't his expected role if he ever makes the big leagues.

At this point, expect he'll go to the ECHL if he gets signed when the season ends. UVM's having a solid season this year (finally) and his leadership and work ethic has been part of it, so that'll help him get noticed.
Just noticed I posted this to the wrong thread. It's here now.

01-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Montsy14

Kind of crazy how Bjugstad and Howden were only picked 5 players apart in the 2010 draft. Clearly one is much further along than the other.

Anyway, Howden can still be a solid 3rd line NHLer. The only thing that worries me is that he has Jack Skille written all over him. Fast, can create chances on his own, but suffers from tunnel vision and has no finish whatsoever.

Old
01-14-2014, 02:59 PM
gudzilla

howden will be one of these who'll eventually make it to the nhl at age 22-23 and play middle 6 minutes on a bad team and bottom 6 on a good team. will eventually click and have a few 40-50p seasons

Old
01-14-2014, 03:23 PM
iam76

kids just really fast... is he falling alot like last year?

Old
01-14-2014, 08:33 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
I'd be suprised if Howden ever produced a 50 point season in the NHL. If you look at the types of players on those projections (Boedker type players), those players generally have pretty good hands, IQ etc. Howden has NHL level speed, but not that much else. NHL player? He should be, but he's not a weapon in anyway.

Acadmus, i find it really bizarre that any team would draft a player in the 2nd round and proceed to mold him into a 4th line banger and crasher. Where is the upside? Invest 4/5 years into a player for that output? When you could simply trade the pick for such a player NOW. A 2nd round pick has higher value than the upside of Brickley, so i can't truely believe the Panthers have had that sole intention since drafting him. Surely they saw more upside to his offensive game?

Nonetheless, his output in college is poor and he'll have to improve significantly to handle the speed of the AHL. Even 4th line NHL players tend to have solid puck skills/abilities, especially in comparison to the competition Brickley is currently facing.

Old
01-17-2014, 12:59 PM
cats31

Does anyone think we will regret not getting a deal done with Corban Knight? He seems to be playing really well with Calgary's AHL team.

Old
01-17-2014, 01:48 PM
RampageNate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats31 View Post
Does anyone think we will regret not getting a deal done with Corban Knight? He seems to be playing really well with Calgary's AHL team.
Not sure the validity, but I've heard through the grapevine that Knight had no desire to play in the Panthers org. and as such, was demanding 2nd round money.

I am of the opinion that he was never going to wear a Panthers uniform so fretting over his production is useless. Good riddance.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:03 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats31 View Post
Sure do. But, I don't see any real tools besides his size that could translate well to the NHL. He'll be nothing more than a 3rd or 4th line center in all likelihood. I'll only truly regret it if he becomes an impact player.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:37 PM
EnforceTheLaus
The #Pirrpocalypse

Quote:
Not sure the validity, but I've heard through the grapevine that Knight had no desire to play in the Panthers org. and as such, was demanding 2nd round money.

I am of the opinion that he was never going to wear a Panthers uniform so fretting over his production is useless. Good riddance.
Agree completely. His dad works for the Flames too so there is the connection. At least we got a return and he didn't bolt as a FA.

Old
01-17-2014, 02:38 PM
gudzilla

corban knight wanted to play for his home town

Old
01-17-2014, 03:24 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
corban knight wanted to play for his home town
Glad we didn't let him walk into free agency like Ducks did Shultz. I watched one Oil vs Ducks game in Anaheim and it was amazing to hear how loud the crowd boo'ed Shultz. Every time he touched the puck. It was deafening. On top of that, Anaheim beat the snot out of the Oilers. So fitting.

Old
01-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I'd be suprised if Howden ever produced a 50 point season in the NHL. If you look at the types of players on those projections (Boedker type players), those players generally have pretty good hands, IQ etc. Howden has NHL level speed, but not that much else. NHL player? He should be, but he's not a weapon in anyway.

Acadmus, i find it really bizarre that any team would draft a player in the 2nd round and proceed to mold him into a 4th line banger and crasher. Where is the upside? Invest 4/5 years into a player for that output? When you could simply trade the pick for such a player NOW. A 2nd round pick has higher value than the upside of Brickley, so i can't truely believe the Panthers have had that sole intention since drafting him. Surely they saw more upside to his offensive game?

Nonetheless, his output in college is poor and he'll have to improve significantly to handle the speed of the AHL. Even 4th line NHL players tend to have solid puck skills/abilities, especially in comparison to the competition Brickley is currently facing.
You're forgetting this is a team that has drafted in the FIRST round and more or less prepped players for the 3rd/4th line banger role (Anthony Stewart and Kenndal McArdle)...sure, maybe they hoped for offense from them, but ultimately they just used them as physical grinders.

Old
01-19-2014, 11:20 AM
gudzilla

Harvey Fialkov ‏@hfialkov 1h

Trocheck and Hauser in car accident Saturday. Not seriously hurt didnt play game #flapanthers

Old
01-19-2014, 11:39 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
Harvey Fialkov ‏@hfialkov 1h

Trocheck and Hauser in car accident Saturday. Not seriously hurt didnt play game #flapanthers
Its in the Rampage thread. Said they werent hurt, but Trocheck cracked the windshield with his head.

Old
01-19-2014, 01:13 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Its in the Rampage thread. Said they werent hurt, but Trocheck cracked the windshield with his head.
No airbags?? Were they driving a 70's muscle car?

Old
01-19-2014, 01:32 PM
iam76

i hope we bring up vinny after the break... give him a taste of nhl..

also
will we be sending bjugs, shore, hayes or anyone else down with this olympic break?

Old
01-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam76 View Post

also
will we be sending bjugs, shore, hayes or anyone else down with this olympic break?
Huberdeau should go down

Old
01-19-2014, 03:57 PM
RampageNate

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam76 View Post

also
Vinny isn't ready.

Shore is the only one of those guys that can come down after Jan 24th. Everyone else, who is AHL eligible, must come down before then if they have 16 games played in the NHL.

I think Shore comes down, but that's probably it (unless Petro is healthy, then he comes down too)

Old
01-19-2014, 06:50 PM
iam76

Quote:
Vinny isn't ready.

Shore is the only one of those guys that can come down after Jan 24th. Everyone else, who is AHL eligible, must come down before then if they have 16 games played in the NHL.

I think Shore comes down, but that's probably it (unless Petro is healthy, then he comes down too)
I think it makes sense for shore to go down and play..

Old
01-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Acadmus

http://pantherparkway.com/2014/01/29...caa-prospects/

No Connor Brickley?

Just to restate for everyone, if you have a blog or website with articles you want to share, have someone else make the post for you. It's against board rules to direct traffic to your own site unless you're part of the HFBoards partner program (and don't ask me about it, I know nuthink).

Old
01-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Montsy14

What's the report on Sam Brittain this year so far? Does he have NHL potential? This guy might be an important piece going forward if Markstrom doesn't turn it around.

Closed Thread