HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone going to the Flyers/Pens game on the 1st?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2012, 05:19 PM
  #1
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Anyone going to the Flyers/Pens game on the 1st?

I'll be going to a Flyers/Pens game in Pittsburgh for the first time on Sunday and was wondering if any other Flyers fans on here are attending. I'll be in section 224, the right corner (looking from the stands) where the Flyers shoot twice. I'm anxious to see if Pens "fans" are even comparable to Flyers fans.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:33 PM
  #2
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
I'll be going to a Flyers/Pens game in Pittsburgh for the first time on Sunday and was wondering if any other Flyers fans on here are attending. I'll be in section 224, the right corner (looking from the stands) where the Flyers shoot twice. I'm anxious to see if Pens "fans" are even comparable to Flyers fans.
They are. Despite what so many people want to think, Pens fans are good, legit fans (I live with two), and the die-hards are just as intense, loyal, and knowledgeable as Flyers die-hards, if not more. I'm talking about the ones who were there even during the lean years. Sure, I hate Pens fans because they're Pens fans, but I also respect them. I'll just put it to you this way: I've met more real Pens fans -- with whom I could have an intelligent conversation about hockey -- than real Flyers fans. True story. In fact, it seems like most of the people from Philly that I meet are more interested in the Sixers and either know very little or nothing at all about hockey/the Flyers. It's actually very discouraging at times.

Enjoy the game, don't be a d-bag, and go Flyers.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
  #3
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
They are. Despite what so many people want to think, Pens fans are good, legit fans (I live with two), and the die-hards are just as intense, loyal, and knowledgeable as Flyers die-hards, if not more. I'm talking about the ones who were there even during the lean years. Sure, I hate Pens fans because they're Pens fans, but I also respect them. I'll just put it to you this way: I've met more real Pens fans -- with whom I could have an intelligent conversation about hockey -- than real Flyers fans. True story. In fact, it seems like most of the people from Philly that I meet are more interested in the Sixers and either know very little or nothing at all about hockey/the Flyers. It's actually very discouraging at times.

Enjoy the game, don't be a d-bag, and go Flyers.
Good points, I have met quite a few real pens fans but I guess I just think less of them because it's engrained in my head to do so lol. But nah, I won't be a ******. I go to games to watch hockey, not start fights.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:54 PM
  #4
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,607
vCash: 500
I'm not

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:35 PM
  #5
TH1Pool
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
I'll be there in my Giroux jersey, Section 103, 3 rows off the ice all by my lonesome. Moved out here last summer, managed to jump on one of the last tickets a couple months ago. Hope I don't get any beer showers.

TH1Pool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:45 PM
  #6
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Horsham (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
I lived there for a few years in the late 90's early 2000's for school. The people are cool but its not much of a city! The fan, I felt were die hard but many lacked knowledge and even more lacked a sense of reality about their team! Overall a real bunch of front runners! But as far as the quality of Pittsburgh's people? Many were really nice! My friend has season tic and invites me to every Pen\Flyers game! I just hate that drive!!! Have fun!!!

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:22 AM
  #7
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m
 
COMCASTMONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nashvegas
Country: United States
Posts: 5,307
vCash: 500
If I could afford to...damn.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:00 AM
  #8
ToTheNet
Registered User
 
ToTheNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Holland, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,284
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
I live within walking Distance to the rink, drop me a line if you want to get a beer before/after! I'm going to try and hit up the play-off games.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:52 AM
  #9
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
They are. Despite what so many people want to think, Pens fans are good, legit fans (I live with two), and the die-hards are just as intense, loyal, and knowledgeable as Flyers die-hards, if not more. I'm talking about the ones who were there even during the lean years. Sure, I hate Pens fans because they're Pens fans, but I also respect them. I'll just put it to you this way: I've met more real Pens fans -- with whom I could have an intelligent conversation about hockey -- than real Flyers fans. True story. In fact, it seems like most of the people from Philly that I meet are more interested in the Sixers and either know very little or nothing at all about hockey/the Flyers. It's actually very discouraging at times.

Enjoy the game, don't be a d-bag, and go Flyers.

Yeah but there's only like 10 of them.

My friend who is a real pens fans says they're games are populated by like 80% bandwagoners who can't tell you anything about the team post lockout and who get Lemeuix and Jagr confused.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:27 PM
  #10
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Yeah but there's only like 10 of them.

My friend who is a real pens fans says they're games are populated by like 80% bandwagoners who can't tell you anything about the team post lockout and who get Lemeuix and Jagr confused.
Not really. Again: I've met more real Pens fans -- with whom I could have an intelligent conversation about hockey -- than real Flyers fans. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

Your second argument is one that could be applied to Flyers fans, as well. The WFC hasn't been as full or as raucous as in past seasons (plenty of empty seats visible on TV), and a lot of the crowd is either bandwagoners or suits -- though, in fairness, that's the nature of most crowd compositions nowadays because the die-hards have been increasingly squeezed out by the sky rocketing price of tickets. You say there are post-lockout Pens bandwagoners who get Lemieux and Jagr confused? I've seen VIDEO EVIDENCE (below) of a Flyers fan arguing with a Devils fan that Ron Hextall was the Flyers' goalie when they won the Cup in '74 and '75. Such idiocy is not a unique phenomenon. Believe that.


Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:37 PM
  #11
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Horsham (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Not really. Again: I've met more real Pens fans -- with whom I could have an intelligent conversation about hockey -- than real Flyers fans. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

Your second argument is one that could be applied to Flyers fans, as well. The WFC hasn't been as full or as raucous as in past seasons (plenty of empty seats visible on TV), and a lot of the crowd is either bandwagoners or suits -- though, in fairness, that's the nature of most crowd compositions nowadays because the die-hards have been increasingly squeezed out by the sky rocketing price of tickets. You say there are post-lockout Pens bandwagoners who get Lemieux and Jagr confused? I've seen VIDEO EVIDENCE (below) of a Flyers fan arguing with a Devils fan that Ron Hextall was the Flyers' goalie when they won the Cup in '74 and '75. Such idiocy is not a unique phenomenon. Believe that.

Who let one of the 80% from pitt on here?

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:45 PM
  #12
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli View Post
Who let one of the 80% from pitt on here?
Wait, are you referring to me? If so... seriously, guy? Let's exercise a level of maturity and perspective here because you won't find a more die-hard Flyers fan than me. I know objectivity is frowned upon on these boards, especially when it comes to discussing rival fans, but I'm just someone who calls it like I see it. It's not that I don't hate the Pens with a burning passion (I do), it's just that I'm not a blind homer who lazily dismisses another team's fan base because it's the easy, fashionable thing to do.

If you're making a reference to the video or whatever, well, nevermind.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:43 PM
  #13
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Not really. Again: I've met more real Pens fans -- with whom I could have an intelligent conversation about hockey -- than real Flyers fans. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

Your second argument is one that could be applied to Flyers fans, as well. The WFC hasn't been as full or as raucous as in past seasons (plenty of empty seats visible on TV), and a lot of the crowd is either bandwagoners or suits -- though, in fairness, that's the nature of most crowd compositions nowadays because the die-hards have been increasingly squeezed out by the sky rocketing price of tickets. You say there are post-lockout Pens bandwagoners who get Lemieux and Jagr confused? I've seen VIDEO EVIDENCE (below) of a Flyers fan arguing with a Devils fan that Ron Hextall was the Flyers' goalie when they won the Cup in '74 and '75. Such idiocy is not a unique phenomenon. Believe that.


Well we might have to throw age into this. This was all during undergrad so all these people were like 23 and younger. That might change things. The descriptives for our sample sizes might be off.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
  #14
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 7,706
vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
They are. Despite what so many people want to think, Pens fans are good, legit fans (I live with two), and the die-hards are just as intense, loyal, and knowledgeable as Flyers die-hards, if not more. I'm talking about the ones who were there even during the lean years. Sure, I hate Pens fans because they're Pens fans, but I also respect them. I'll just put it to you this way: I've met more real Pens fans -- with whom I could have an intelligent conversation about hockey -- than real Flyers fans. True story. In fact, it seems like most of the people from Philly that I meet are more interested in the Sixers and either know very little or nothing at all about hockey/the Flyers. It's actually very discouraging at times.

Enjoy the game, don't be a d-bag, and go Flyers.
I agree with this. Flyers have some VERY knowledgeable fans, but have just as many bandwagon fans and casual fans who score a ticket because they have $$$$, than any other team in the league. Of my friends I love to sit and talk nothing but hockey with...one is a Flyers fan, there are three Pens fans, and one is a Devils fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli View Post
I lived there for a few years in the late 90's early 2000's for school. The people are cool but its not much of a city! The fan, I felt were die hard but many lacked knowledge and even more lacked a sense of reality about their team! Overall a real bunch of front runners! But as far as the quality of Pittsburgh's people? Many were really nice! My friend has season tic and invites me to every Pen\Flyers game! I just hate that drive!!! Have fun!!!
The same couldn't be said about Philly fans? The Phillies bandwagon teeming with bandwagon fans, the Sixers bandwagon peaked this year and I'm sure they'll all be back around for the playoffs, and we ALL know how crazy the city goes once the Flyers make the postseason. The high and mighty act as a fanbase doesn't work well anymore.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:15 PM
  #15
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
^^^ Nice to see someone else who's rooted in reality. When people ask me about Flyers fans, I give them the same answer every time: "The Flyers fan base is deep more than it is wide." I think that sums things up pretty perfectly.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:56 PM
  #16
856
Moderator
Amaro out
 
856's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 35,211
vCash: 230
every city has bandwagon fans if a team is winning.

856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:06 AM
  #17
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Horsham (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Guess your right! Flyers sell out regardless of how well they are doing. Pens only sell out when they are doing well. You agrument makes more sense then numbers! Also, the general Pen's fanbase see nothing wrong with the Pen's tanking! How can a Great Fanbase fail to support a team when they are losing and support the idea of tanked 5\7 seasons in a row!

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:55 AM
  #18
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion
 
Brostradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dub C
Country: United States
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
The comment about the stadium having plenty of empty seats is a stretch. The Flyers have the highest attendance % in the NHL averaging 108% capacity every night. They often show shots of the crowd right before or after intermission, obviously people get up to beat the lines for food and bathroom.

I would have to disagree with Pens fans being a better fan base or more knowledgeable. I've lived in Western and Central PA for the past 5 years and so I obviously run into Pens fans. I have some great friends that are very avid hockey fans and have followed them through the dark times. However they are the very small minority from what I've witnessed. Crosby takes that puck to the face the other night, "Crosby out for season" and "Pens season over" trends on twitter.

The attendance records really speak for them self. Flyers have a terrible season, still one of the top ratings in the NHL, Pens have 3 terrible seasons they are in the bottom 5, even during the first bad year with a playoff appearance sprinkled in between.

Their are bad fans from every fanbase, but I rarely run into a Flyers fan that I don't know that I can't have an intelligent conversation about history, current players, attitudes about the team, ect, in depth discussions just like we do here on these boards. On the other hand, it is a rarity when I can have the same conversation with a Penguins fan about their team, in fact I often feel like I know more about their team than they do. There are always good and bad fans of every team and most in the middle, but I literally laugh when I hear that a fanbase that just appeared not even a decade ago and was about to move to Kansas City because no one cared is a better than a loyal one for over 40 years.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:12 AM
  #19
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Horsham (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
The comment about the stadium having plenty of empty seats is a stretch. The Flyers have the highest attendance % in the NHL averaging 108% capacity every night. They often show shots of the crowd right before or after intermission, obviously people get up to beat the lines for food and bathroom.

I would have to disagree with Pens fans being a better fan base or more knowledgeable. I've lived in Western and Central PA for the past 5 years and so I obviously run into Pens fans. I have some great friends that are very avid hockey fans and have followed them through the dark times. However they are the very small minority from what I've witnessed. Crosby takes that puck to the face the other night, "Crosby out for season" and "Pens season over" trends on twitter.

The attendance records really speak for them self. Flyers have a terrible season, still one of the top ratings in the NHL, Pens have 3 terrible seasons they are in the bottom 5, even during the first bad year with a playoff appearance sprinkled in between.

Their are bad fans from every fanbase, but I rarely run into a Flyers fan that I don't know that I can't have an intelligent conversation about history, current players, attitudes about the team, ect, in depth discussions just like we do here on these boards. On the other hand, it is a rarity when I can have the same conversation with a Penguins fan about their team, in fact I often feel like I know more about their team than they do. There are always good and bad fans of every team and most in the middle, but I literally laugh when I hear that a fanbase that just appeared not even a decade ago and was about to move to Kansas City because no one cared is a better than a loyal one for over 40 years.
Well said!!!

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:22 AM
  #20
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Yeah was about to say. Where are these so called empty seats?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:36 AM
  #21
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m
 
COMCASTMONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nashvegas
Country: United States
Posts: 5,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
The comment about the stadium having plenty of empty seats is a stretch. The Flyers have the highest attendance % in the NHL averaging 108% capacity every night.
The Flyers have "108%" because they played a home game in a venue more than twice the size of their normal one.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:13 PM
  #22
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion
 
Brostradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dub C
Country: United States
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
The Flyers have "108%" because they played a home game in a venue more than twice the size of their normal one.
You can remove that game and they are still above 100% at this point its just semantics...

I will agree that a larger % of people in Pittsburgh probably follow the Pens but there are a lot of contributing factors to that. Pittsburgh is a much smaller city in size and population than Philadelphia. Pittsburgh doesn't have a basketball team or a successful baseball team to occupy their attention, while the majority of hockey season is played after the Steelers season is over. When I say follow I also don't mean they are better fans, theirs a difference between knowing how your team is doing, via sports center ect, and actually watching the team.

Of the four Philadelphia sports the Flyers fanbase is its own animal. Less people proportionately follow the Flyers all season long than the other teams. However the ones that do consistently follow this team night in and out are some of the most loyal, knowledgeable, and committed fans in the NHL and are often put right into the category with Detroit as Canadian level fanbases in America. Everyones a Phillies fan now, and everyone's an Eagles fan when they are winning but Flyers fans have been there since the Broad Street Bullies days and have never left.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:30 PM
  #23
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli View Post
Guess your right! Flyers sell out regardless of how well they are doing. Pens only sell out when they are doing well. You agrument makes more sense then numbers! Also, the general Pen's fanbase see nothing wrong with the Pen's tanking! How can a Great Fanbase fail to support a team when they are losing and support the idea of tanked 5\7 seasons in a row!
Uninformed, lazy argument is both uninformed and lazy. A bankrupt team that literally couldn't afford good players and was a threat for relocation had terrible seasons? You don't say. Yes, the Pens tanked, but it's not like they tanked willfully. They just happened to tank at the perfect time, and that's what pisses off other fans. It sucks, but deal with it. If the Flyers had those same issues and were among the worst teams in the league for a number of years in a row, the WFC would be pretty empty, too. If you don't believe that, then you're delusional. It's what happens everywhere. Just be happy being among the league's worst teams hasn't been a problem for the Flyers 16 of the past 17 seasons.

Dude, I hate the Penguins. Despise them. But at least be knowledgable -- and fair -- about other teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
The comment about the stadium having plenty of empty seats is a stretch. The Flyers have the highest attendance % in the NHL averaging 108% capacity every night. They often show shots of the crowd right before or after intermission, obviously people get up to beat the lines for food and bathroom.

I would have to disagree with Pens fans being a better fan base or more knowledgeable. I've lived in Western and Central PA for the past 5 years and so I obviously run into Pens fans. I have some great friends that are very avid hockey fans and have followed them through the dark times. However they are the very small minority from what I've witnessed. Crosby takes that puck to the face the other night, "Crosby out for season" and "Pens season over" trends on twitter.

The attendance records really speak for them self. Flyers have a terrible season, still one of the top ratings in the NHL, Pens have 3 terrible seasons they are in the bottom 5, even during the first bad year with a playoff appearance sprinkled in between.

Their are bad fans from every fanbase, but I rarely run into a Flyers fan that I don't know that I can't have an intelligent conversation about history, current players, attitudes about the team, ect, in depth discussions just like we do here on these boards. On the other hand, it is a rarity when I can have the same conversation with a Penguins fan about their team, in fact I often feel like I know more about their team than they do. There are always good and bad fans of every team and most in the middle, but I literally laugh when I hear that a fanbase that just appeared not even a decade ago and was about to move to Kansas City because no one cared is a better than a loyal one for over 40 years.
There's a lot here, and you're certainly entitled to your opinion. You should just understand what I've been posting isn't meant to disparage the core of the Flyers' fan base because I know firsthand how loyal and rabid it is. I'm just going off of personal experience, and I've met more than enough people/sports fans from both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh to form my own opinion on the matter.

The attendance argument is always a good one. Let me ask you something. During the season that shall not be named of '06-'07, how many Flyers home games did you actually watch? I'd say I watched at least 30, and that place slowly began to resemble a ****ing Devils home game as the Flyers plummeted to the bottom of the standings. The announced attendance would still be 19,000+, but you're beyond help if you think anything even close to that number was present. Again, had the Flyers sucked like that for a few years in a row, you would've seen an attendance drop that mirrored what happened with the Penguins. In '05-'06, the Penguins played to 93% capacity, and '06-'07 that figure rose to 97% capacity (and this is at what was perhaps the most decrepit arena in all of pro sports). It's been over 100% ever since.

The Penguins fan base didn't "just appear" not even a decade ago. Again, that's not fair. Melon Arena was always packed during the 90s. If you mean the ridiculous bandwagon add-ons just appeared not even a decade ago, then sure, I agree with you. We've seen the exact same thing happen with the Red Sox and Phillies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
You can remove that game and they are still above 100% at this point its just semantics...

I will agree that a larger % of people in Pittsburgh probably follow the Pens but there are a lot of contributing factors to that. Pittsburgh is a much smaller city in size and population than Philadelphia. Pittsburgh doesn't have a basketball team or a successful baseball team to occupy their attention, while the majority of hockey season is played after the Steelers season is over. When I say follow I also don't mean they are better fans, theirs a difference between knowing how your team is doing, via sports center ect, and actually watching the team.

Of the four Philadelphia sports the Flyers fanbase is its own animal. Less people proportionately follow the Flyers all season long than the other teams. However the ones that do consistently follow this team night in and out are some of the most loyal, knowledgeable, and committed fans in the NHL and are often put right into the category with Detroit as Canadian level fanbases in America. Everyones a Phillies fan now, and everyone's an Eagles fan when they are winning but Flyers fans have been there since the Broad Street Bullies days and have never left.
I agree with you about this likely being a per capita issue. Still, I had a lot of friends from the Philly area who went to Pitt for college starting in '06, and they were always telling how every Pens game was appointment viewing for so many of the native yinzers.

The Flyers fan base certainly is its own animal and I'd say real fans of the team are the most loyal, knowledgable, and committed in the entire city (and are up there in the NHL), but that doesn't erase the fact that its fan base population pales in comparison to that of the Eagles and Phillies (and probably even the Sixers, honestly). Just the nature of hockey undeniably being the #4 sport in this country.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:34 PM
  #24
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,676
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I haven't been to a Flyers vs. Pens game since the pre-Crosby era. I'd love to go see them if they meet in the playoffs.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 05:24 PM
  #25
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Horsham (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Uninformed, lazy argument is both uninformed and lazy. A bankrupt team that literally couldn't afford good players and was a threat for relocation had terrible seasons? You don't say. Yes, the Pens tanked, but it's not like they tanked willfully. They just happened to tank at the perfect time, and that's what pisses off other fans. It sucks, but deal with it. If the Flyers had those same issues and were among the worst teams in the league for a number of years in a row, the WFC would be pretty empty, too. If you don't believe that, then you're delusional. It's what happens everywhere. Just be happy being among the league's worst teams hasn't been a problem for the Flyers 16 of the past 17 seasons..
Uniformed and week argument? Ok pal, whatever you say! The team was going bankrupt, couldn't afford good players and was a threating to relocation because they started to lose and the support went away! Banwagon, frontrunners are the majority! There are some intelligent fans in the burg but the majority and ill informed and know nothing outside Pen's hockey's after 2006! As for tanking for 5 plus years, say what you want and take there side! They did not try to get better for almost a decade! It samefull. Listen, I lived in Pitt for 2 years and married a girl from there (she is a Flyers fan)I spend a lot of time talking to yenzers about hockey! The marjorty are stright out fools! Its nice you opinion, formed over 6 years, is so supportive of them but I have 14 years exp dealing with them and numbers to back me up!

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.