HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Colborne has been recalled.

Old
04-02-2012, 09:03 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
So much for never doing undeserved call-ups. Kadri clearly deserved this one.
Marlies are in playoff mode, Kadri is on fire. No use in potential ruining his momentum for a few games with the Leafs. Colborne on the other hand is struggling hard, this can be a confidence boost going into a Marlie playoff run.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:04 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
I still think he has promise as a good playmaker, I've always been impressed with that aspect of his game. His skating and shooting need to be improved a ton though.
His frequency in shooting needs to increase IMO. For his skill level, he should be getting more pucks to the net.

I could look up the stats, but I'd bet he probably averages on the lower end of shots per game among Marlie forwards.

04-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
His frequency in shooting needs to increase IMO. For his skill level, he should be getting more pucks to the net.

I could look up the stats, but I'd bet he probably averages on the lower end of shots per game among Marlie forwards.
I've noticed that too. Don't know if maybe that's because he isn't that confident in it, or if it's simply because he's a pass first player. I think if he ever does become a big league player, 95% of his goals are going to be scored from about a foot in front of the net.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I still have faith in him, I hope he improves from a confidence boost and improve during the playoffs with a fresh start

04-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:
I watch the games, thanks. Probably 80% of them this season so far. He creates scoring chances so I'm not sure what you're watching.

No excuses for his offensive game drop off, but the rest of his game hasn't been bad. Overall game was probably poor choice of words, but I think you're also selling him short. He's not as bad as your making him sound. If he was, he would have been a healthy scratch with the amount of bodies they have on forward.

He's not used in a defensive role because there are obviously better options in the likes of Greg Scott and Jerry D'Amigo. The team is ripe with two-way types.
Bingo.

Good callup. Gives us MUCH needed size up the middle.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
I think that this will help Joe. I watched him play a lot for a year a while ago and he is a great young man who never lacked confidence. I really believe that being sent down after he played reasonable well with the Leafs hurt his game. Lets hope that these 3 games kick start him again.
I agree.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:15 AM
questhockey

I actually like his game for the Marlies other the scoring draught, but happens alot when players bounce from big club and back. Their confidence gets shaken they aren't good enough to make it.
I unfortunately don't agree he will ever be 2nd line player. I think he's got the makings, with some additional coaching to be a great 3rd liner, but I would move him to become a LW and let Kadri Center, and Ashton on RW. All I feel are 3rd liners on most other teams.
A whole line with intensity, youth, with obvious scoring could make them a killer 3rd line.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:26 AM
The Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimso View Post
I'm guessing Tanknation approves?
YES SIR!!!

Great call-up to CRANK the TANK.
Now lets get of Finnish goalie back in between the pipes so I can rest a little easier.
The Ducks are scaring me!

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Gberg

his callup... means tank tank tank

Gberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
So much for never doing undeserved call-ups. Kadri clearly deserved this one.
Audition for Carlyle, Kadri is better right now but we don't want to win too many games with draft position up for grabs.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:34 AM
MrVisser

I think they might just be distributing bonuses around to the Marlies squad for having such a great year.

Leafs don't even play tonight. Maybe he'll be back down at the end of the day?

MrVisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:35 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Hope he does well.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Interactif

Quote:
I watch the games, thanks. Probably 80% of them this season so far. He creates scoring chances so I'm not sure what you're watching.

No excuses for his offensive game drop off, but the rest of his game hasn't been bad. Overall game was probably poor choice of words, but I think you're also selling him short. He's not as bad as your making him sound. If he was, he would have been a healthy scratch with the amount of bodies they have on forward.

He's not used in a defensive role because there are obviously better options in the likes of Greg Scott and Jerry D'Amigo. The team is ripe with two-way types.
He said he was really focusing on his defensive play this year, it may have cost him in the offensive stats department. If this is the case I wouldn't be too dissapointed his production has tailed off. In the old days 1st rd picks were sent down to work on their defensive game, doubt much has changed in recent years.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:40 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Hope he does well.
Yep, hopefully he can get his offense going, and maybe he can help Kessel pot 40.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:43 AM
PPfan

Quote:

It was a poor choice of words given he has not played very well. He clearly does not deserve getting promoted and there's no way BB would ever allow one of his golden boys acquired in a trade he thinks he won to be a healthy scratch for the Marlies.

There are already enough apologists in the Toronto media for Leaf management, players and prospects. This call-up is definitely not based on merit given how poorly he's played compared to other teammates. Until the fan base and local media question the integrity of each move made by management, the malaise will continue.

PPfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Budsfan

Colborne will just be showcasing his talent for next year, to see if he could fit in and having the big center for the last few games, to end our season, is hardly going to have much of an impact on anything.

With both Steckel and Grabovski out and giving Joe a chance, makes him the most logical call up.

Budsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by questhockey View Post
I actually like his game for the Marlies other the scoring draught, but happens alot when players bounce from big club and back. Their confidence gets shaken they aren't good enough to make it.
I unfortunately don't agree he will ever be 2nd line player. I think he's got the makings, with some additional coaching to be a great 3rd liner, but I would move him to become a LW and let Kadri Center, and Ashton on RW. All I feel are 3rd liners on most other teams.
A whole line with intensity, youth, with obvious scoring could make them a killer 3rd line.
I agree. I've been saying since the start of the season that Colborne would be better suited on the wall.

People are obsessed with the idea of a big center, but if we want him to have an offensive impact he'll need to use his size on the boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Audition for Carlyle, Kadri is better right now but we don't want to win too many games with draft position up for grabs.
What happened to organizational attitude change, exorcising the muskoka syndrome, etc? Having a player thinking it doesn't matter how great he plays and that other players will always be favoured over him doesn't seem like a strong organizational move.

Guy Boucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Soul Vibe Funk

colbornes a bust. Fire #fireentirefranchise right?

Soul Vibe Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:48 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPfan View Post
It was a poor choice of words given he has not played very well. He clearly does not deserve getting promoted and there's no way BB would ever allow one of his golden boys acquired in a trade he thinks he won to be a healthy scratch for the Marlies.

There are already enough apologists in the Toronto media for Leaf management, players and prospects. This call-up is definitely not based on merit given how poorly he's played compared to other teammates. Until the fan base and local media question the integrity of each move made by management, the malaise will continue.
I don't think he deserved the promotion either. I never said he did. Kadri should have been called up based on what he's done recently in the AHL.

I assume the move is made to give Carlyle a chance to see what he can bring at the NHL level at this time (I figure he spends another full season in the AHL anyways) and also try to spark Colborne a bit because he has been snake bitten. Maybe a confidence boost for him.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:48 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPfan View Post

No matter how dumb it makes the fan or media person appear to be. If Burke had an agenda wouldn't Colborne have been with the team all season?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:51 AM
ThreeHundred

Not sure, but why was Kadri sent down?

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:53 AM
samwitch

With a couple games left, I don't think it really matters who's up. Kadri had his shot now Colborne gets his for a couple. No big deal IMO.

samwitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
Because MacArthur and Frattin were back from injuries, so he had to be sent down because he was an emergency call-up.

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
samwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
He was only up on emergency basis so when the injuries were back, he had to go down.

samwitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:56 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Well, I suppose he'll help us tank better than Kadri could

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote