HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

CHL website shows new map, missing four teams.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:40 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

vCash: 500
CHL website shows new map, missing four teams.

http://www.centralhockeyleague.com/teams/

Laredo gone, we already knew about that.
Evansville officially gone to ECHL as of today.
Fort Wayne officially gone to ECHL as of tomorrow (in all likelihood).

Wait... whoops! No Dayton on the map... Did the CHL telegraph things before they were officially announced?

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:06 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

It's old news now about Dayton but I wonder....11 teams as of now, it's only May. Will this decrease?

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Scoutin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
It's old news now about Dayton but I wonder....11 teams as of now, it's only May. Will this decrease?
I don't believe so, no. But very real concerns have to exist for Rio Grande Valley, Arizona, and Bloomington. And especially so with Arizona and Rio being on the edge of the league's map with no one in the neighborhood and poor attendance. Bloomington's always been on thin financial ice and their attendance continues to fall.

Rapid City, Wichita, Tulsa, and Missouri represent the healthiest remaining franchises with Texas, Allen, and Quad City falling somewhere between "we're fine losing the money that we are for now" to "something has to change quick." Denver as a market is a wild card since their history with minor league hockey is littered with failures -- and that was before the Avs came to town.

Scoutin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:06 AM
OKCDevil

This league lost its heart and soul when the Blazers folded to make way for the AHL. I wondered how long the CHL would last without the Blazers and I think we're starting to see the beginning of the end. I feel badly for Tulsa and Wichita. Wish there was a way to get those cities to get into the AHL.

OKCDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:32 PM
sbkbghockey

Can we change the thread title to "CHL website show new map, of future USHL, NAHL, and ECHL markets?"

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:58 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCDevil View Post
This league lost its heart and soul when the Blazers folded to make way for the AHL. I wondered how long the CHL would last without the Blazers and I think we're starting to see the beginning of the end. I feel badly for Tulsa and Wichita. Wish there was a way to get those cities to get into the AHL.
I know last summer there was issues with arenas owned by Global(I believe they own like half the CHL teams and Horn Chen basically holds the key to the other half? Is Horn Chen still involved?? It seems like that guys a crook. If you do some digging on Global they are no sweethearts.

Old
05-20-2012, 07:17 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
This league lost its heart and soul when the Blazers folded to make way for the AHL.
That's not what happened. The Blazers just plain folded - they weren't able to compete against the Thunder while sharing the arena. Once the market was empty, THEN an ownership group started to look at a partnership with Edmonton's AHL franchise.

Old
05-20-2012, 07:39 PM
OKCDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
That's not what happened. The Blazers just plain folded - they weren't able to compete against the Thunder while sharing the arena. Once the market was empty, THEN an ownership group started to look at a partnership with Edmonton's AHL franchise.
Actually, the Blazers weren't able to reach a lease agreement with the city of OKC because they were in the final stages of bringing the AHL here, so the Blazers folded because they had nowhere to play.

Old
05-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
Can we change the thread title to "CHL website show new map, of future USHL, NAHL, and ECHL markets?"
I'd say Bloomington, Quad Cities and Rapid City would all be very nice fits in the USHL's geographic footprint.

Tulsa, Wichita and Denver all have large (8000-plus seats) arenas; it's not out of the realm of possibility that they would all be good AHL markets, although I don't know how well it would work having both the NHL and AHL in Denver. I would love to see the venerable old Denver Coliseum hosting AHL games, though...

I think Independence (Missouri Mavericks) could work as an AHL market also; I would bet big money, however, that they'll be in the ECHL (or USHL) within three years. The Arizona Sundogs could probably work in the ECHL as well, slotting nicely into the Western Conference along with Alaska, Las Vegas, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, Bakersfield, Stockton and Ontario.

The Fort Worth Brahmas and RGV Killer Bees will probably become NAHL clubs, slotting in nicely with the Texas Tornado and Corpus Christi Ice Rays. Allen seems destined to go that route as well, although they could probably also work as an ECHL or USHL club.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:11 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Actually, the Blazers weren't able to reach a lease agreement with the city of OKC because they were in the final stages of bringing the AHL here, so the Blazers folded because they had nowhere to play.
Um, no.

http://newsok.com/okc-blazers-cease-...rticle/3382433

But thanks for trying.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:35 PM
OKCDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
The decision comes as Oklahoma City officials have filed paperwork clearing the way to start negotiations with "a prospective AHL franchise afflilated with Express Sports," according to city documents.

Old
05-21-2012, 12:19 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
The decision comes as Oklahoma City officials have filed paperwork clearing the way to start negotiations with "a prospective AHL franchise afflilated with Express Sports," according to city documents.
To START NEGOTIATIONS, not, as you claimed, "in the final stages".

But it's clear you have your read on history, and I have mine. I'll drop it.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:25 AM
OKCDevil

No worries man. Sorry if we got crossways on this. I know some of the politicos in town and the story was a little different than what made the press. Either way, OKC has progressed to a nice level with the AHL and I hope it works! I'll be at game 6 if the series gets back here.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:46 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
No worries man. Sorry if we got crossways on this. I know some of the politicos in town and the story was a little different than what made the press. Either way, OKC has progressed to a nice level with the AHL and I hope it works! I'll be at game 6 if the series gets back here.
Boy do I know something about politicians getting involved. They will only make it look good from their perspective even if their perspective is a farce.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:04 PM
OKCDevil

Very true!