Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2012, 10:47 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Maybe this is because I am not from the cities, but what is wrong with duck duck goose?

How much time do you have?

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
04-03-2012, 10:48 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

You know, around where I grew up, we played both.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:48 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

/facepalm

You guys all need to take your Xanax. Seriously.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:49 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Maybe this is because I am not from the cities, but what is wrong with duck duck goose?
It's what everyone not from Minnesota plays.

And sorry for breaking the news to you. I remember how devastated I was when that day arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
/facepalm

You guys all need to take your Xanax. Seriously.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
04-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It is great that our pro sports teams are so bad they required prescription medication.

Although I took a double dose of Lexapro today for unrelated matters.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:52 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It's what everyone not from Minnesota plays.

And sorry for breaking the news to you. I remember how devastated I was when that day arrived.
I had to wait until college to find that out. Was shocking. Same with Oregon is not actually pronounced Or-a-gon...

Old
04-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

How much time do you have?
Got all day. Hit me.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Like pretty much everything else, the rest of the country uses phrases that make more sense and/or are less juvenile.

Duck Duck Grey Duck vs Duck Duck Goose...I guess if you're not smart enough to differentiate between a duck and goose?

Pop vs Soda...pop is a noise. Soda is a drink.

Minnesota vs Minny...Minny's just way easier to type.

Breezers vs Pants...unless you're three years old, they're pants, not breezers. What is with Minnesotans naming things after what they sound/look like versus what they're called?

Old
04-03-2012, 11:11 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
It's pop. And Duck, Duck, Gray Duck.

And I've never heard them not called breezers. Everything else sounds weird.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

This has to be some Twin Cities vs rest of Minnesota thing cause I think I MIGHT have played "duck duck grey duck" ONCE, but I'm not sure, but I can remember "duck duck goose" all the time when I was a kid.

And I have never heard them called breezers. They are pants.

And either soda OR pop is acceptable.

And no one up here says "Minny" either.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:33 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Like pretty much everything else, the rest of the country uses phrases that make more sense and/or are less juvenile.

Duck Duck Grey Duck vs Duck Duck Goose...I guess if you're not smart enough to differentiate between a duck and goose?

Breezers vs Pants...unless you're three years old, they're pants, not breezers. What is with Minnesotans naming things after what they sound/look like versus what they're called?
You've got most of that backwards:

Duck Duck Goose is for those who could possibly mistake a goose for a duck, otherwise you wouldn't need to differentiate.

"Soda" is a reference to "soda water," more specifically, it's a reference to a time where carbonated beverages were manually created by mixing pure soda water with a variety of flavorings. This is not the case, and the entire concept of "soda water" is more or less obsolete. "Pop" is a reference to the sound made when a pre-mixed container of flavored carbonated beverage makes when opened. When distributed in a can, this is still the sound it currently makes, albeit other delivery vehicles result in a different, either clicking or hissing sound. Because of this, the term "pop" is accurate, descriptive, and relevant in the modern world. The term "soda" is childish, meaningless, and obsolete.

The sound of the name "minny" does not ever occur in the proper pronunciation of the state. No one calls Wisconsin "Whiskey," and anyone attempting would likely be mocked for such behavior. Why would it be different for its neighbor?

Breezers vs Pants...well I really never cared about that. However "pants" is such a completely non-descript term that does nothing to differentiate from other items, requiring additional descriptors that would be alleviated by assigning a single name to a specific item. Essentially, Breezers is the Rhombus to Pants' Quadrilateral.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:34 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:

Duck duck grey duck is a tongue in cheek version of duck duck goose, meant to be humorous /made up.

Soda is a relic from the 60s, whenever I hear it I think the person is from Pleasantville. Sodapop split into two words and pop is clearly the superior one.

I just type MN.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:45 AM
rafterman

I went to college in cheeseland and found a few differences:

pop - soda
drinking fountain - bubbler
keg - barrel

oh the good old days, beating the roomie in baseball on his Sega Master System. Yeah, I'm a relic.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:45 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I always thought Duck Duck Grey Duck was a smarter children's game because it required you to use your imagination rather than just saying duck or goose.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:50 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Duck duck goose you clearly differentiate one child from the group, forcing them to chase you around or be stuck to the outside of the circle like the goose they are, how dare they be different from all the ducks, we don't want any geese around here! Promoting Xenophobia.

Duck Duck grey duck however promotes racism.

Clearly.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

So much knowledge to take in.

Also breezers are the only thing I've ever heard anyone call hockey pants.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:21 PM
ironranger

vCash: 145
When I came to college here in MI was the first time I have ever heard someone call breezers anything other than that

It is pop, not soda, and most definitely not,"I would like a coke", "what kind of coke would you like?"

And maybe it was a northern mn thing but what I refer to as a hunting shack, is called a "camp" over here in the U.P. When I think camp, I think of tents but maybe I'm just strange.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:35 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironranger View Post
When I came to college here in MI was the first time I have ever heard someone call breezers anything other than that

It is pop, not soda, and most definitely not,"I would like a coke", "what kind of coke would you like?"

And maybe it was a northern mn thing but what I refer to as a hunting shack, is called a "camp" over here in the U.P. When I think camp, I think of tents but maybe I'm just strange.
Camp for me is any temporary accommodations, and by temporary i mean the place itself is temporary, not just the time spent there.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironranger View Post

IMO it's a hunting shack when the structure on the property is indeed a shack. If it's just a spot of land that a bunch of guys meet up on with pickups... then it's a hunting camp.

The land I've hunted on is definitely considered a shack. It was a one room structure, made mostly out of chipboard and had a serious fly problem. Turn on a light, hang fly paper from it... flies are able to land on the bodies of their dead brethren within 5 minutes. It was disgusting... but apparently a lot better than in the past. They used to put raisins in the oatmeal so you wouldn't notice an errant fly or 2.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:48 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

A shack and a camp are very different. As someone noted, a "camp" is by definition some sort of temporary accomodations. Maybe it's a camper, maybe it's tents, but it's not a permanent, immobile structure. A shack is most any permanent structure on that sort of land, as long as it's not fancy enough to be called a cabin (or if you're weird, a lodge). A shack might be ramshackle, but it doesn't have to be.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:57 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

My favorite regional saying is in parts of Virginia, instead of pop/soda/coke/soda pop they just say "cold drink." That's it.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:08 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
My favorite regional saying is in parts of Virginia, instead of pop/soda/coke/soda pop they just say "cold drink." That's it.
According to the wife, in Newfoundland it's "can of drink."

Old
04-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh man I just came up with the perfect OT thread title. As in, might actually get picked by Gopher.

Actually got another one too:

"Getting in on the 13th floor"

Gotta remember this one for next week or whenever it gets post spammed up to 900.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Oh man I just came up with the perfect OT thread title. As in, might actually get picked by Gopher.

Actually got another one too:

"Getting in on the 13th floor"

Gotta remember this one for next week or whenever it gets post spammed up to 900.
I kid you not, there is now a list because of how fast these go/good ones that need to be remembered.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:41 PM
ironranger

vCash: 145
Quote:
Ha there is a good chance I would mistake that for a beer if I heard it

Closed Thread