HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about Gaborik and Tortorella

Old
04-03-2012, 02:20 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Question about Gaborik and Tortorella

On the Avs board, we're having a argument about the struggles of Duchene and not improving his defensive play.

Since Tortorella has joined the Rangers, how has Gaborik's defensive game been? Has it improved or not changed? Is he succeeding in a system where the coach requires everyone to play defense? Or is he floating at the blueline like Ovechkin? Does he get benefits because of his skill compared to other players?

Anything else is appreciated!

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:23 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Also even though majority of us don't like Sacco, he has implemented a new system lately, that requires everyone to work hard and play defense. No shortcuts or your playing time will decrease.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
He's not winning any Selke Trophies, but he's not bad defensively. He gets back on the backcheck, he's good positionally. But he's always looking to catch the opposition flat footed and beat them on the rush.

Definitely not a liability defensively.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:27 PM
OverTheCap

Well, Gabby played under Lemaire before, so it's not as if this is the first time he's played under a coach that requires everyone to play defense.

But I think his defense has improved. His first two seasons with the Rangers, he used to be on the ice for a lot of OT goals against because he wasn't backchecking. Although he's no defensive whiz, he is careful with the puck and responsible defensively.

Torts hasn't hesitated to bench Gabby if he's floating or cherry-picking. Fortunately, he hasn't had to do that all that much this season.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
In Gabby's first year as a Ranger, I think Torts kinda just let him loose. In his second year, he really buckled down on him to play more defense. His scoring went way down last year because of this (and getting injured a couple of times). This year we are seeing the benefits. Gabby is coming back and making some great plays defensively, and starting to block shots (the one player I don't want blocking shots). Gabs, has never complained about it, all tho I remember there being an interview last year where he kinda said that he's going through a learning curve.

EDIT: I'm not sure if its Torts getting him to buy into the defensive system, or Cally making sure every one buys in to the system.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:29 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Gabby's defense is solid. He makes some good plays in his own zone, but I don't think it's changed much from what it was when he first signed with us. Keep in mind Gabby was coached by Jacques Lemaire for much of his career, so he was taught and required to play defense right from the get-go.

He's definitely not a blueline floater.

Not sure what you mean by "benefits from his skill." If you mean playing more minutes just because of his talent, then not really. If he's having a bad game, Torts will cut his ice time. He hasn't really had many bad games this year, but last year he frequently got under 20 minutes (sometimes as little as 16 minutes) if he wasn't playing well.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:29 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Gaborik has only bought into the system as of this year. 2 years ago, while offensively a success, was status quo in terms of defense. Last year was an off year, with injuries, and his confidence taking it's toll.

This year he's been all over the place, showing much more of a two-way game. He actually blocks some shots, and is much more active in the neutral/defensive zone.

Everyone has bought in...

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:31 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

John Tortorella made Marian Gaborik backcheck. Such things only can compare to Tom Renney making Jarmoir Jagr backcheck.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
John Tortorella made Marian Gaborik backcheck. Such things only can compare to Tom Renney making Jarmoir Jagr backcheck.
LOL I can't remember Jags back checking at all. I remember laughing when we were pinned in our zone, that Jags was at the offensive blue line just waiting there for the puck.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:35 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Gabby's defense is solid. He makes some good plays in his own zone, but I don't think it's changed much from what it was when he first signed with us. Keep in mind Gabby was coached by Jacques Lemaire for much of his career, so he was taught and required to play defense right from the get-go.

He's definitely not a blueline floater.

Not sure what you mean by "benefits from his skill." If you mean playing more minutes just because of his talent, then not really. If he's having a bad game, Torts will cut his ice time. He hasn't really had many bad games this year, but last year he frequently got under 20 minutes (sometimes as little as 16 minutes) if he wasn't playing well.
What I mean by this is, if a player like Ovechkin plays in a very strict defensive system, but doesn't need to follow the defensive gameplan because Ovechkin has great skill.

So what am gathering from this is, Gaborik has improved his defense somewhat, but has it made him gain more offensive potential because of it and not worrying about being benched?

Old
04-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephtones View Post
What I mean by this is, if a player like Ovechkin plays in a very strict defensive system, but doesn't need to follow the defensive gameplan because Ovechkin has great skill.

So what am gathering from this is, Gaborik has improved his defense somewhat, but has it made him gain more offensive potential because of it?
No, I would say that Gabby's offense is the same, hes just back checking, and making sure hes in decent position to make a good defensive play. Like supersonic said, he's not going to win any selke trophies, but he is trying in the defensive end.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:39 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
LOL I can't remember Jags back checking at all. I remember laughing when we were pinned in our zone, that Jags was at the offensive blue line just waiting there for the puck.
it happened occasionally

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:40 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
No, I would say that Gabby's offense is the same, hes just back checking, and making sure hes in decent position to make a good defensive play.
So he's just doing this in fear of being benched?

Old
04-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Gaborik get benched for a few shifts for lazy defensive play in the game in Buffalo?

I believe they showed in 24/7 Torts yelling at Gabby on the bench, and he missed a few shifts, to later come out and score what I believe to be a GWG.

He is by no means one of our best defensive forwards, but he does work hard in his own end.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Quote:
Nope, I would say that the whole team is buying into the system, because of great leadership on this team. It starts with our coach, our captain, and trickles all the way down to the 4th liners. Gabby never really got benched to often. Even last year. You can't keep some one with his offensive skill off the ice if you want to win games. But it did happen occasionally.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Gaborik get benched for a few shifts for lazy defensive play in the game in Buffalo?

I believe they showed in 24/7 Torts yelling at Gabby on the bench, and he missed a few shifts, to later come out and score what I believe to be a GWG.

He is by no means one of our best defensive forwards, but he does work hard in his own end.
Yep i believe it was only for a period tho.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:03 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Gaborik's defensive play has certainly improved during his time here. He is skating harder when the other team has the puck.

The thing is with the current Rangers squad, is that they are a tight-knit group and have excellent chemistry and cohesiveness, so a lot of the players have bought into a team identity, which is exemplified by our captain. Hard working, hard back-checking, shot-blocking, sacrificing, etc....

So it's not really just a matter of Tortorella having gotten through to a player like Gaborik, but more of a reflection of the atmosphere within the NYR organization. Torts has stressed it in his time here, the players have bought into it, and Gaborik has conformed accordingly.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:07 PM
MSG the place to be*

I will not post in this thread

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

He's a solid defensively and I think SupersonicMonkey's explanation of his defense is spot on.

He also blocked a Chara slapshot this season as well.

Last edited by Jabroni: 04-03-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:29 PM
MSG the place to be*

Answer me this...

What is defense?

To me, hockey is 90% defense and 10% playmaking. But defense doesn't refer simply to defending. Defense is about making life difficult for the opposition, smart decision making and execution.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
To late

Old
04-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Quote:
Answer me this...

What is defense?

To me, hockey is 90% defense and 10% playmaking. But defense doesn't refer simply to defending. Defense is about making life difficult for the opposition, smart decision making and execution.
Making life difficult for the opposition is the offensive side of Sean Avery's game. Smart decision making is not part of his

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:41 PM
satrabyk

I think hes defensive game has been great hes good at slowing the play down and making the right pass to spring a D man outside the zone. He also has a good quick stick, only weakness is when faced with the potential of a hit sometimes he turns it over, could pre injuries he doesent want to aggrevate if he doesent have too.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Calad
Section 422

He makes more plays happen with his backcheck now that he is in position to take the puck away or force turnovers, its nice

Calad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:43 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Answer me this...

What is defense?

Thats a good point, defense is all over the ice and gaborik does this pretty well with his angling and quick stick. Are whole team is pretty good defensively if you break it down.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote