HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want the future captain to be?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2012, 03:31 PM
  #26
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Regardless of his leadership qualities there is now way he is going to be a captain next year if we move Iggy.

As it stands right now; Bouma is a 4th liner, has played very little in the NHL, and is 21 years of age.

He is nowhere close to being captain material.

Not only that, but IMO, your captain has to be a player who sees a lot of icetime. Either a top 4 dman or a top 6 forward, who excels on the PK/PP.
Not once did I say that he should get it next year, in fact I outright said he is too early into his career.

And I think Bouma will be a very good penalty killer for us down the line as well as play play a regular shift on the checking line.

I also don't believe that the captain needs to be a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:18 PM
  #27
BigTree92
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 119
vCash: 500
Griffin Reinhart

BigTree92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:26 PM
  #28
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Not once did I say that he should get it next year, in fact I outright said he is too early into his career.

And I think Bouma will be a very good penalty killer for us down the line as well as play play a regular shift on the checking line.

I also don't believe that the captain needs to be a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman.
fair enough, but I still disagree with you on the bolded.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:27 PM
  #29
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,337
vCash: 150
Go without the "C" and see who steps up. Give the A to Gio, Squid, Tangs, and (if he stays) Sarich (don't hate, appreciate).

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:11 PM
  #30
Pizza the Hutt
Top Cheddar
 
Pizza the Hutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,223
vCash: 50
Bouwmeester.

Maybe then he won't be such a sadsack on the ice and will live up to his paygrade.

Pizza the Hutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:33 PM
  #31
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
fair enough, but I still disagree with you on the bolded.
but many NHL teams don't disagree with me. on the ice the "C" and "A" don't make a difference in terms of what is allowed by those players (ie. speaking to the officials)

around the league right now I see the following players wearing letters that aren't top 4 defensemen or top 6 forwards on their respective teams.

Andrew Ference [A], Chris Kelly [A], Milan Hedjuk [C], Shawn Horcoff [C], Matt Cullen [A], Steve Staios [A], Jordan Staal [A], Colby Armstrong [A], Mike Komisarek [A], Manny Malholtra [A], Troy Brouwer [A], Mike Knuble [A], Chris Torburn [A]

While its not a lot, its still 1/3 of the teams in the league being represented by bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defensemen. some teams (Boston, Washington and Toronto) having 2 leaders playing lesser roles.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:49 PM
  #32
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
but many NHL teams don't disagree with me. on the ice the "C" and "A" don't make a difference in terms of what is allowed by those players (ie. speaking to the officials)

around the league right now I see the following players wearing letters that aren't top 4 defensemen or top 6 forwards on their respective teams.

Andrew Ference [A], Chris Kelly [A], Milan Hedjuk [C], Shawn Horcoff [C], Matt Cullen [A], Steve Staios [A], Jordan Staal [A], Colby Armstrong [A], Mike Komisarek [A], Manny Malholtra [A], Troy Brouwer [A], Mike Knuble [A], Chris Torburn [A]

While its not a lot, its still 1/3 of the teams in the league being represented by bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defensemen. some teams (Boston, Washington and Toronto) having 2 leaders playing lesser roles.
First off, we were only talking about the captain, not assistant captains. Hedjuk and Horcoff are on 2 of the youngest teams in the NHL, and they do not always play a bottom six role. At the same time that is only 2 captains in the entire league that are arguably bottom six players.

You are not making a strong case for captains in the bottom six and your whole point about Bouma doesn't hold much relevance as he has so few games in the NHL and is still quite young. We have no idea if he will have any impact in this league in coming years.

Your captain has to be a guy who is on the ice for more then just energy minutes. Horcoff and Hedjuk both play more important roles on their respective teams. Maybe Bouma will see more ice-time eventually, but I'd still have Gio as captain. He is a top 4 guy and plays in all situations on the ice.

He's a shot blocking machine, can a lay a big hit, wears his heart on his sleave and is well spoken in interviews. Without knowing the inner workings of the dressing room, he is easily my pick for the next captain should Iggy leave.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:12 PM
  #33
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
First off, we were only talking about the captain, not assistant captains. Hedjuk and Horcoff are on 2 of the youngest teams in the NHL, and they do not always play a bottom six role. At the same time that is only 2 captains in the entire league that are arguably bottom six players.

You are not making a strong case for captains in the bottom six and your whole point about Bouma doesn't hold much relevance as he has so few games in the NHL and is still quite young. We have no idea if he will have any impact in this league in coming years.

Your captain has to be a guy who is on the ice for more then just energy minutes. Horcoff and Hedjuk both play more important roles on their respective teams. Maybe Bouma will see more ice-time eventually, but I'd still have Gio as captain. He is a top 4 guy and plays in all situations on the ice.

He's a shot blocking machine, can a lay a big hit, wears his heart on his sleave and is well spoken in interviews. Without knowing the inner workings of the dressing room, he is easily my pick for the next captain should Iggy leave.
he also takes ill timed penalties, gets heated with officials and quite frankly I would never make a former "hold out" (for lack of a better term) captain.

a guy who deserts your team over a contract is not captain material.

I would much rather have a 4th line scrub as captain

but Bouma is far from ready so if Iginla is moved I would bring in a veteran to be a transitional captain

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:21 PM
  #34
Devilspuppet666
Registered User
 
Devilspuppet666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
short term i think bouwmeester, long term, and surprised no one has said it, John
Ramage
. hes is the definition of captain, hes mature, plays a smart well rounded game and served as the captain of the 2011 of the U.S team.

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:23 PM
  #35
Devilspuppet666
Registered User
 
Devilspuppet666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
short term i think bouwmeester, long term, and surprised no one has said it, John
Ramage
. hes is the definition of captain, hes mature, plays a smart well rounded game and served as the captain of the 2011 of the U.S team.
also hes the captain of the Wisconsin badgers hockey team. just saying

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:26 PM
  #36
Devilspuppet666
Registered User
 
Devilspuppet666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
but many NHL teams don't disagree with me. on the ice the "C" and "A" don't make a difference in terms of what is allowed by those players (ie. speaking to the officials)

around the league right now I see the following players wearing letters that aren't top 4 defensemen or top 6 forwards on their respective teams.

Andrew Ference [A], Chris Kelly [A], Milan Hedjuk [C], Shawn Horcoff [C], Matt Cullen [A], Steve Staios [A], Jordan Staal [A], Colby Armstrong [A], Mike Komisarek [A], Manny Malholtra [A], Troy Brouwer [A], Mike Knuble [A], Chris Torburn [A]

While its not a lot, its still 1/3 of the teams in the league being represented by bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defensemen. some teams (Boston, Washington and Toronto) having 2 leaders playing lesser roles.
hes a top six, hes just behind crosby and malkin but hes a #2 guy

46 point and 25 goals in 59 games is not a 3rd liner or bottom 6 player.

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
  #37
Ace Rimmer
Moderator
What a guy!
 
Ace Rimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Io
Country: Bermuda
Posts: 12,265
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
short term i think bouwmeester, long term, and surprised no one has said it, John
Ramage
. hes is the definition of captain, hes mature, plays a smart well rounded game and served as the captain of the 2011 of the U.S team.
I could see it. But really the question the OP asks is an impossible one for outsiders to answer. It's a guessing game at best. At worst its like saying what your favourite flavour of ice cream is, then defending it.

Ace Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:01 PM
  #38
Tapu Debe
DBU
 
Tapu Debe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,935
vCash: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
he also takes ill timed penalties, gets heated with officials and quite frankly I would never make a former "hold out" (for lack of a better term) captain.

a guy who deserts your team over a contract is not captain material.

I would much rather have a 4th line scrub as captain

but Bouma is far from ready so if Iginla is moved I would bring in a veteran to be a transitional captain
I would think that at this point in time, that whole situation has blown over. It was a different GM in charge, and by the looks of it, a different Giordano as well. Pretty sure management can look past something as trivial as that.

Tapu Debe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:29 PM
  #39
Devilspuppet666
Registered User
 
Devilspuppet666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I could see it. But really the question the OP asks is an impossible one for outsiders to answer. It's a guessing game at best. At worst its like saying what your favourite flavour of ice cream is, then defending it.
idk if you mean im an outsider, cause if you are im a flames fan. and if your not im sorry for this comment lol

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:32 PM
  #40
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,337
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
idk if you mean im an outsider, cause if you are im a flames fan. and if your not im sorry for this comment lol
Outsider as in you can't judge the leadership personally. The only people who know how good a captain Jarome Iginla is are the people in the dressing room.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:50 PM
  #41
Skobel24
#Ignited
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,101
vCash: 50
Honestly, I don't see a clear leader in this group. Tanguay, Glencross, and Gio are all capable of the A, but I don't want anyone wearing the C. If I had to choose one though, I pull a Vancouver, and make Kipper the captain, but throw the C on Jackman.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:04 PM
  #42
HighLifeMan
Registered User
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,362
vCash: 500
Mark Giordano...Easily.

The only other option I currently see would be Mike Cammalleri, but I am not sure he could handle those responsibilities properly.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:11 PM
  #43
Skobel24
#Ignited
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,101
vCash: 50
The more I think about it, the more I think Kipper is the best option. I know he can't officially wear the C, but...

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:26 PM
  #44
HighLifeMan
Registered User
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think Kipper is the best option. I know he can't officially wear the C, but...
Awful Idea in my opinion.

The biggest reason being that he would not want that responsibility in the first place.
His only worry during a game should be stopping the puck, goalies do not need any of the added distractions that come with leading a team.

Furthermore it is obvious that he is quiet in the dressing room, and not very good with the media (for numerous reasons).

Outside of being the Flames best performer on the ice, he really does not fit the role of a captain, and I think he would be the first person to say just that.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:59 PM
  #45
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Awful Idea in my opinion.

The biggest reason being that he would not want that responsibility in the first place.
His only worry during a game should be stopping the puck, goalies do not need any of the added distractions that come with leading a team.

Furthermore it is obvious that he is quiet in the dressing room, and not very good with the media (for numerous reasons).

Outside of being the Flames best performer on the ice, he really does not fit the role of a captain, and I think he would be the first person to say just that.
Agreed. Kipper has found a spot where he's best going about doing his work game in and game out without needing to bother with anything else other than the puck.
I'd still be happier if the team left the C open, and waited to see who steps forward as a player and leader through their play. Gio's definitely the "best" choice but he's going to be nothing more than a transitional captain in the meantime unless he can show otherwise.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:40 AM
  #46
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
he also takes ill timed penalties, gets heated with officials and quite frankly I would never make a former "hold out" (for lack of a better term) captain.

a guy who deserts your team over a contract is not captain material.

I would much rather have a 4th line scrub as captain

but Bouma is far from ready so if Iginla is moved I would bring in a veteran to be a transitional captain
Really?!

1. I can count on my hand how many times this year he took a bad penalty. Enough said.

2. Nothing wrong with a heated discussion, as long as it is done in a constructive way.

3. Wow a "hold out" arguement from way in the past, even though he was in the right at the time. That's laughable, how can anyone be your captain with those kind of standards. I've never seen a captain in this league get into an argument with his coach or management.

Your simply grasping at straws to save face. If Iginla moves, who do you propose be captain?

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:01 AM
  #47
Gary83*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
short term i think bouwmeester, long term, and surprised no one has said it, John
Ramage
. hes is the definition of captain, hes mature, plays a smart well rounded game and served as the captain of the 2011 of the U.S team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Giordano is one of those players whose play I could see declining being a captain. Cammy seems to have a pretty good attitude, guy hates to lose, I would give it to him.

I think in the future a good captain would probably be someone like Ramage, Reinhart or Ferland. The types of players that will leave it all out on the ice.
For the lulz?

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:43 PM
  #48
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
but many NHL teams don't disagree with me. on the ice the "C" and "A" don't make a difference in terms of what is allowed by those players (ie. speaking to the officials)

around the league right now I see the following players wearing letters that aren't top 4 defensemen or top 6 forwards on their respective teams.

Andrew Ference [A], Chris Kelly [A], Milan Hedjuk [C], Shawn Horcoff [C], Matt Cullen [A], Steve Staios [A], Jordan Staal [A], Colby Armstrong [A], Mike Komisarek [A], Manny Malholtra [A], Troy Brouwer [A], Mike Knuble [A], Chris Torburn [A]

While its not a lot, its still 1/3 of the teams in the league being represented by bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defensemen. some teams (Boston, Washington and Toronto) having 2 leaders playing lesser roles.
Most of those guys play top 6 or top 4 minutes. Hejduk, Kelly, Horcoff, Cullen, Staal, Brower, Knuble and Ference all play top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman minutes. Care to try again? The only one on your list who isn't top 6/top 4 and plays on a playoff team is Malholtra, and he might win a major award this year. Stop trying to justify a ridiculous post.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:45 PM
  #49
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
he also takes ill timed penalties, gets heated with officials and quite frankly I would never make a former "hold out" (for lack of a better term) captain.

a guy who deserts your team over a contract is not captain material.

I would much rather have a 4th line scrub as captain

but Bouma is far from ready so if Iginla is moved I would bring in a veteran to be a transitional captain
Giordano does not take stupid penalties and was offered an AHL contract when he went to Russia. Iginla was a "holdout."

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:52 PM
  #50
tfong
HFBoards Sponsor
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,661
vCash: 50
Gio!

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.