HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want the future captain to be?

Old
04-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Flamesfan13

vCash: 500
I think we should give it to baertschi

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:53 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan13 View Post
I think we should give it to baertschi
All joking aside only a few Flames can even score 3 goals in 5 games...

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Really?!

1. I can count on my hand how many times this year he took a bad penalty. Enough said.

2. Nothing wrong with a heated discussion, as long as it is done in a constructive way.

3. Wow a "hold out" arguement from way in the past, even though he was in the right at the time. That's laughable, how can anyone be your captain with those kind of standards. I've never seen a captain in this league get into an argument with his coach or management.

Your simply grasping at straws to save face. If Iginla moves, who do you propose be captain?
yes really.

and since your reading skills fail you, I will repeat myself, I wouldn't make anyone on the current roster captain, especially anyone under contract for next year. I don't even like most of these choices for an 'A'.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:05 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
yes really.

and since your reading skills fail you, I will repeat myself, I wouldn't make anyone on the current roster captain, especially anyone under contract for next year. I don't even like most of these choices for an 'A'.
Well then, all I have to say is that you are just wrong. It's not even a matter of opinion in my books. Gio (from what the public can see) is a natural leader and has done quite a bit to earn a letter with this team.

It would be an insult to Gio to bring in a "Stoll" and slap the C on him after how much Gio has done for this team already.

If this team had no leaders outside of Iginla then fine. But it is clear Gio is a solid leader, and he leads through work ethic, something this team desperatly needs more of. You trying to hang him with a holdout that happened years ago, and when Gio was clearly right, is ridiculous.

I can read just fine thanks. If you expect me to go back to every one of your posts (which cover half of this thread) then give your head a shake.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Well then, all I have to say is that you are just wrong. It's not even a matter of opinion in my books. Gio (from what the public can see) is a natural leader and has done quite a bit to earn a letter with this team.

It would be an insult to Gio to bring in a "Stoll" and slap the C on him after how much Gio has done for this team already.

If this team had no leaders outside of Iginla then fine. But it is clear Gio is a solid leader, and he leads through work ethic, something this team desperatly needs more of. You trying to hang him with a holdout that happened years ago, and when Gio was clearly right, is ridiculous.

I can read just fine thanks. If you expect me to go back to every one of your posts (which cover half of this thread) then give your head a shake.
I didn't realize how a bunch of fans felt was what made a player a captain material.

You can't tell me that my opinion is wrong when neither of us are in the dressing room with the guys. Maybe I am wrong and Giordano would be a good captain, but maybe I am not wrong.

I also never said there was no leaders on the team, I just said there is no one I like with a letter on their jersey. I think the guys with the letters should be fiery competitors and be fairly even keel. Basically the ideal guy would be a mix of Giordano and Bouwmeester, maybe thats why they both have A's, I don't know.

And if a player is insulted because someone new gets a letter before them, then they are not captain material anyways.

I would also like to say before Nystrom was moved I saw him as potential captain material, I was reminded of this when I heard Keenan's interview today.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:46 PM
KesGold17

Giordano. He's your most emotional player and the players respect him.

KesGold17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:36 PM
MC Ride
Feels bad man

Bringing this back from early 2012. Now that we still don't have a captain, would you prefer to give it to Gio or wait a few years and hand it to one of our young guys? I'd love a 20 year old Monahan as captain.

MC Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:38 PM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
Bringing this back from early 2012. Now that we still don't have a captain, would you prefer to give it to Gio or wait a few years and hand it to one of our young guys? I'd love a 20 year old Monahan as captain.
I think neither, for a while. I think it should be Dennis Wideman, to be honest. When he leaves, then Monahan.

MonahanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:42 PM
RA9

i'd rather us roll without a captain for a little while until we find a guy that can fill that role (i'd love it to be baertschi in a couple of years, i think he can be a true leader, 100% every night.) heck monahan too.

but if i was to choose one now, i'd say gio.

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:51 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
Gio even tho i think we should trade him by the 2015 trade deadline.

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:50 PM
MarkGio

Cammy for now. He's vocal and wants to win. But since I doubt he sticks around I say we wait until Ramage gets a full-time gig with the big club.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 3000
If Backlund breaks out this year, I vote for him.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:41 AM
Johnny Hoxville
**** Cancer

vCash: 2403
Glencross

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 02:09 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

The only two possibilities right now IMO are Glencross and Giordano. I'd give it to Glencross personally, but wouldn't be upset to see Gio get it.

I think we need to let the long term play out. I think a number of guys could be that player. Monahan, Bartschi, Brodie, Arnold and Cundari are all pretty well spoken and hard workers. My darkhorse pick is Cundari. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people and end up being a top 4 defenseman.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 06:40 AM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Gio until its time to give it to him.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Taranis

vCash: 8276
Glencross and eventually Monahan.

Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

I'm not sure any of the current team really deserve it this year, but it will go to Giordano most likely.

Since I don't see 1 guy that stands out as the guy, I would actually like the Flames to do like the Heat have the last couple years (even though Laing was always the guy) and that is go the first month with a trio of players wearing an "A" each night, then choose the captain based on what they show for leadership.

But I know that won't happen. So my picks:

Calgary:

C - Giordano
A - Cammalleri, Glencross

Abbotsford:

C - Begin
A - Bancks, Breen, Ramage, Nemisz

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:35 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 81
Im secretly very hopeful that Backlund can turn into a 2-way #2C and gain some leadership and become at the very least an A.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Trae

For right now using the same format they used before...

Captain: Giordano
Home Assistants: Glencross, Backlund
Away Assistants: Cammalleri, Stajan

I chose Backlund because he is one of the leaders in community involvement, can be a good mentor for all the you g guys since he just finished being the organizations only young guy. Stajan because he's actually consistent and extremely likeable in the locker room with his teammates based on interviews I've seen and read on the Flames website.

In a couple years we have so many character guys that could have the 'C' or an 'A' if they make the NHL:
- Monahan
- Baertschi
- Reinhart
- Ramage
- Gaudreau
- Arnold
- Knight
- Brodie
- Hanowski
- Klimchuk
- Wotherspoon
- Agostino
- Sieloff

The list goes on. I love how management has taken character, attitude, and personality, very seriously and it seems like it has become a priority when acquiring or drafting players.

Trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 02:03 PM
BVicious

Thread title confuses me. Is this who we want the captain to be NOW or in the future?

Now should be Gio or GlenX. Future should be Monahan or Sven.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
Thread title confuses me. Is this who we want the captain to be NOW or in the future?

Now should be Gio or GlenX. Future should be Monahan or Sven.
look at the date of the original post. it was 2012, so Iginla was still here.

So I guess the future is now.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:42 PM
marbsarebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
For right now using the same format they used before...

Captain: Giordano
Home Assistants: Glencross, Backlund
Away Assistants: Cammalleri, Stajan

I chose Backlund because he is one of the leaders in community involvement, can be a good mentor for all the you g guys since he just finished being the organizations only young guy. Stajan because he's actually consistent and extremely likeable in the locker room with his teammates based on interviews I've seen and read on the Flames website.

In a couple years we have so many character guys that could have the 'C' or an 'A' if they make the NHL:
- Monahan
- Baertschi
- Reinhart
- Ramage
- Gaudreau
- Arnold
- Knight
- Brodie
- Hanowski
- Klimchuk
- Wotherspoon
- Agostino
- Sieloff

The list goes on. I love how management has taken character, attitude, and personality, very seriously and it seems like it has become a priority when acquiring or drafting players.
Brodie, Hanowski, Gaudreau, Klimchuk and Reinhart are not character guys. They actually seem quiet and like background guys. However, Ramage, Monahan, Sieloff, Agostino and Wotherspoon would make great Captains.

marbsarebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbsarebad View Post
Brodie, Hanowski, Gaudreau, Klimchuk and Reinhart are not character guys. They actually seem quiet and like background guys. However, Ramage, Monahan, Sieloff, Agostino and Wotherspoon would make great Captains.
Hanowski is widely known for his leadership, not sure where you are pulling this garbage from

Old
09-11-2013, 03:58 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbsarebad View Post
Both Reinhart and Wotherspoon have both only ever been assistant Captains once both being last year how is one better than the other?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:18 AM
benfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Glencross
I love Glencross and I think he has the best salary on the team for what he brings. I do not feel is the guy you want to be a captain. He is talented and skates very well but I feel his inconsistent effort hinders him.

I think Gio is going to be the next captain, I have loved him ever since I saw him beat up Smid. I find it so funny that we used to have so many guys that could be captain when Iggy was here and now we have so few.

From all I have heard of Monahan I think he will be the franchise captain.

benfool is offline   Reply With Quote